Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Die Cast|Change

on September 28, 2009
I am a food professional and have used this many times since it is a perfect size (not too large or too small) for the little tasks that often come up at home, and I don't want to use my big machine. It has done a terrific job on everything from bread crumbs to salsa, mayonnaise, grinding nuts, pureeing onions, etc. It is easy to control and not 'over process' whatever the job is since the blade comes to a complete stop immediately. The instruction book is Cuisinart's usual competent quality. I do highly recommend it for a small size processor.
66 comments|266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Our household consists of just my husband and I, so I've never felt the need for a full-sized food processor. However, when my tiny (<2 cup) Black & Decker mini-chopper finally died, I thought that getting a slightly bigger model might be in order. After much research, I decided on this Cuisinart model. Overall, I have been very happy with it, but I have detailed some specific pluses and minuses below.

LIKE:
*Chops very well! Almost every job takes only a few pulses of the "Chop" button. In general, foods are chopped more evenly than with my previous model. Also, the Cuisinart, although it is larger, does a better job with smaller batches of food.
*Again, although the Cuisinart is larger, it has a relatively small, upright profile. It could easily sit out on the counter, although we store ours underneath a cabinet.
*The pieces clean very easily. Although each piece is dishwasher safe, most of the time (unless I have chopped a more oily food), I feel that a rinse in soapy water under the faucet is sufficient.
*The locking blade is a nice feature--i.e., you can turn the cup upside down and dump the food without the blade coming out--although it is NOT foolproof.
*It is surprisingly quiet! The first time I used it, I was impressed but how little noise it made.
*Finally, I like that the handle and lid are all large and easy-to-grasp, so even if your hands are wet/slippery from cooking, the unit is easy to manage.

DON'T LIKE:
*My main disappointment with this product has been the built-in "cord keeper" underneath. This feature might work if you were only keeping part of the cord wrapped around it and having the unit sit permanently on the counter. However, I was hoping to use it to store the cord when I put the appliance away under the counter, and for this, it does not work at all! It is much too small and tight, plus there is nothing to keep the cord in place; it winds up frustrating me every time!
*Although I liked that a small spatula was included, it is TINY and rather flimsy.

So, overall, you can see that what I like about my new Chopper/Grinder definitely outweighs what I dislike. In the end, I am happy that I made this purchase, and I would definitely recommend this product to others.

***EDITED 4/9/13***
I have just downgraded my review from 4-star to 2-star, as after only about 36 months of light use (e.g., purchased in July 2011 and used about 2-3 times per month, usually hand-washing after), several cracks have developed in the blade mechanism (SEE UPLOADED PHOTOS). I contacted Cuisinart but was told that my 18-month warranty had expired and that I would have to pay ALMOST HALF the cost of the product itself to receive a replacement blade (see the full text of their email in the comments). This seems completely unreasonable to me; regardless of the warranty, can't I expect that this product will not become defective within 3 years? If Cuisinart is telling me that the answer to this is "no," I will not buy from them again.
review image review image
3030 comments|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2010
I'm one of those who agonizes over appliance purchases...I read epinions and Amazon reviews and any other specs and faqs I can find. This was not a major purchase (in terms of outlay of money), but I wanted something a)easy to assemble, b)easy to use, c)that does what it is supposed to do, and d)that is easy to clean and put away. This little unit does all that. It is just right for small jobs, and cuts quickly. There is a small learning curve -- for me, anyway -- I've had to learn when to use "pulse" as opposed to a steady "chop" to prevent ingredients from being ground too small.

But overall, a great little cook's helper!
22 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
The "die cast" model is just silver plastic. And before you say "that's just the name of a silver-like color", let me stop you. Williams-Sonoma and Crate & Barrel sell a version of this model that is *actually* die cast. As in metal. I actually went down to their stores and saw them in person. They sell them for $60, a considerable premium over the plastic models. Calling this plastic model "die cast" is a deliberate misrepresentation of the product.
1212 comments|209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2012
I used this chopper almost every day when I purchased it. However, one time when I snapped the lid into the locked position, the small arm that locks the lid into place snapped off; hence making the appliance non-functional since it will only function if the lid is locked. I immediately filled out a warranty claim at the manufacturer's website for a replacement lid. I received an email stating that a replacement lid had been sent out and I should receive it within two weeks. It has been 5 weeks, and I still do not have the replacement. I have called the customer service number and spoken with a shockingly rude employee with absolutely no customer service skills, and still I do not have a replacement lid. In addition, the company requested that, when I received my replacement for the defective product, that I pay to have the defective lid sent back to the company. Sorry, I'm not going to pay to return a defective product to the company. If the company would like the defective product returned, the company can pay to have it returned. In the future, I will not purchase products made by Cuisinart due to the company's lack of customer service and integrity.
on September 17, 2012
I had an immersion blender with chopper accessory, but the chopper broke to bits. I used that accessory often, but they can't be replaced for the model(s) of immersion blenders I own, so I decided to just get small with the food processor.

Cuisinart. Good name, good reviews, reasonable price. Let's go.

It can't grind Parmesan cheese. I cut the cheese into small pieces, put the pieces into the bowl and pressed "grind". It sort of chopped, but minutes of whirring (stop, check, whir again, stop, check, whir again...) produced some fine cheese and lots of big chunks. It seemed like the blade was bending during the effort. It's just cheese for crying out loud, not the hard Parmesan rind and definitely not a brick.

The Elite is a very lightweight, cheap, plastic appliance -- much like the cheap chopping accessories that come as enticing afterthoughts with immersion blenders. On a bright note, it was properly designed so the bowl and lid don't "catch" water during the dish washing cycle, as many food processor parts do. So one star for that.

Sending it back. (There's a small bowl and blade somewhere in the cabinet for the full size food processor, right? That'll just have to do, and now that I think of it, will probably do it best.)
VINE VOICEon March 7, 2011
I've always had a big food processor and have always looked down my nose at the little ones as just useless kitchen counter trinkets As Seen On Tee Vee. I finally broke down and bought this guy to chop peanuts with (I eat too many peanuts and I figured chopping them would help me cut down when garnishing a salad or stir fry, or at least that is the theory).

Today a buddy at work suggested I make a batch of raita with it - there are variations, but raita is chopped cucumber and mint leaves mixed into plain yogurt, an Indian condiment. The big bowl of tasty, cooling white stuff with green chunks at your local Indian buffet is raita. I would never have bothered if I had to finely chop the cuke and mint by hand or haul out the full-sized processor. Not worth it. But this little chopper demolished a fat cucumber and a bunch of mint leaves in two quick batches. All I had to do was a quick rinse afterward. Awesome!

I guess this isn't as much a comment on this particular item as it is a testimonial that yes, you actually DO need one of these! As it happens, I agree with the other positive reviews and would recommend this to anyone. Tiny footprint, plenty of power, and (a key point for me) very easy to use and maintain. I'm going to find other uses for this critter.
on January 9, 2010
Fast and much quieter than our (much) older machines. Also dis-assembles more easily, and parts look to be durable.
on April 16, 2012
I owned the CH-4DC's predecessor since it originally came out, and this re-take on the basic idea of a quick, uncomplicated everyday chopping tool is flawless. The highlights:
1. The bowl is really quite big.
2. This little guy is FAST. To start, pulse everything. I mean that unless you meant to make soup.
3. Blade stays put when you turn the bowl upside down to empty it. I don't always want that, but when I do, it's great to have it. It's not complicated. All you do is push the blade assembly straight down until it clicks. It releases very easily.
4. As with all food processors, having an extra bowl is enormously handy. I don't know about you, but 90% of my cooking is done under the gun with no time to clean up between the garlic and the parsley.
5. The only bad thing is the scraper that comes with the CH-4DC. It's laughably inadequate. What it is, basically, is a plastic version of the stick the doctor uses to depress your tongue during a throat inspection. While they're not exactly building the space shuttle, Cuisinart is in its own way a very sophisticated company with a proud heritage of innovation and design. What I want to know is who on Earth over there thought that a see-saw for field mice was a "scraper" for an otherwise perfectly lovely product.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2009
I am not a food professional but I do cook a lot. This product fills the gap between a full-on food processor and a small electric or hand chopper. I bought the die-cast model and it feels solid. The controls are easy to use and everything is easy to clean. This processor is also not very loud compared to ones I looked at in person at retailers. I have found myself using this "mini" more than my larger and more complex processor. In short, I recommend the Cuisinart elite die cast chopper/grinder.