5.0 out of 5 stars Love my rice cooker!
Published on September 6, 2004 by K. Beck

Published on July 24, 2005 by Jennifer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my rice cooker!, September 6, 2004
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
This rice cooker is a great addition to any kitchen. I love the steamer basket addition which allows me to cook additional food items at the same time as my rice. The steamer basket is great for hard and soft boiled eggs. When using this cooker, make sure that you go by the directions on the rice itself, not by the instructions in the manual (rice to water ratio). Also, the rice does have a tendency to boil over. I usually put a little butter in with the rice to prevent this from happening. I'm very pleased with my purchase and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ: I learned the secret to using this tool!!!, July 31, 2008
I purchased this rice cooker without reading any reviews. At first I cooked long grain rice and had no problems with boil over. Then I tried making Jasmine rice and the explosions started. Frustrated, I went online to read product reviews. After my 100th review, I, too, hated this product and would've given it a really bad review. It was going in the trash. However, I have a Cuisinart blender and toaster that I love so I kept reading more reviews. There's an earlier post in this thread that gives a very scientific review of how the instructions are wrong. And instead of using the glass cover you should use the steam tray as the top when cooking rice. I had nothing to lose, so I tried it using Jasmine rice.

The results? No boil over and absolutely no mess whatsoever. I must say that my Jasmine rice taste a little like long grain rice as it's light and fluffy and not mushy how I like it. BUT, I didn't have any spill over, there was no mess on my counter, and the rice is delicous. So I completely agree. DO NOT USE THE GLASS COVER, use the STEAM TRAY instead as your cover and you will not have any spill over. The other review wrote something about the heating plates needing to be extra hot to steam the food so it was set up more for steaming than cooking rice. The hole in the glass top didn't provide enough air...

Just use the steam tray instead of the glass cover. For my more mushier rice I will just add a tiny bit more water or not. This is now a great product in my book. I just wish CuisinArt would've gotten their directions right.

So 4 stars for having me to clean up the mess on my own and go online for the truth, and wasting my time. Otherwise, 5 stars because I now have excellent rice and a beautiful rice cooker/steamer.

4.0 out of 5 stars The instructions are wrong, January 25, 2008
Thomas Berry (Suitland, Md United States) - See all my reviews
After purchasing this unit, I too had spill over at very low water rice levels. I realized that this is the same problem one would get,using even medium heat to cook grits, or rice in a regular pot.......

(If you leave the top of the pot down tight.)

There is no way, because of the high heat setting of this unit, that the glass lid supplied can be used to completely cover the cooking pot, even though the instruction book indicates so.. The hole would have to be much larger to allow steam to escape.

The temperature setting of the heating dictates the designer set it high to allow the use of the steaming attachment, using a high boiling point

The steam will push the oxygen mols from the pot causing a very low barometric air pressure.

With this the bubbles generated by the boiling rice water will have almost no air pressure to keep them low or at minimum.{ they expand greaty), Thus foaming out the sides of the pot.

Even though I could not find in the instruction that the glass top would not work if it was used to completely cover the cooker top while cooking, the picture on the box was a clue.

The picture shows the steamer unit sitting in place, with the glass lid on top.

Using the steamer attachment, 2 measures of rice using plastic, and 2 1/3 cups of water using a measuring cup, I started the unit.

A few bubbles and steam came up through the bottom of the steamer, for a while, and than decreased. ( no boil over ). Once the temperature in the unit exceeded 220 degrees ( all water boiled off) : the unit went into stand-by.

Perfectly cooked rice. Every time

I use the steamer unit, even if I not even steaming vegetable or etc. No boil over. It has many holes in it to allow steam excapement with out
boil over. Caution........... The steamer tray gets as hot as the steam generated in the cooking process.

Do not touch the steamer tray attachment with-out waiting for it to cool, and keep this unit well away from the reach of children, or uncovered,
un-protected hands. In this cooling time the "laden" heat in the left over steam can return to the rice, and complete the cooking cycle.

If the water is allowed to boil out, burnt rice at the bottom.

The directions are in error, Check it out, Happy riceing

5.0 out of 5 stars THE way to fix boil-over while making perfect rice, January 1, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
We bought this rice cooker for the same reason everyone else did -- the look -- and we had the same messy boil-over problem that you all had, too.

Plus, even though we always followed the cooker's directions, rice cooked up inconsistently: Sometimes it was underdone, sometimes it was burnt. We tried different types of rice, tried using the included smaller-than-one-cup measuring cup, tried adding butter... Nothing helped until we discovered the secret:

Always add water according to the directions on the rice package rather than the cooker's directions, and ALWAYS COOK RICE WITH THE STEAMING BASKET IN PLACE.

When I say "in place", I mean as though you're steaming vegetables in it: perforated end down, open end up (the "Cuisinart" logo stamped on the side of the basket should be right-side-up).

See, the glass lid doesn't fit on the nonstick cooking bowl, but the steaming basket does... And the lid fits the steaming basket perfectly. You'll have no boil-over EVER with that arrangement, and if you use exactly as much water as the rice package indicates (and never lift the lid or stir the rice while cooking), your rice will end up perfectly cooked, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars yum, July 22, 2006
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
I tried another rice cooker first (Aroma brand). It failed to make even decent rice. I found this one on sale and grabbed it after the good reviews I had read here. (2009 - still works and looks great!) True, you need to add a little oil or I butter to help with the boil over, but I like to do that anyway. I use a little Mazzola extra virgin olive oil spray. Works like a charm. Also make cleanup even easier. I use Jasmine rice. I gently rinse the rice once, spread it evenly in the cooker, use cold filtered water and let it stand a few minutes before removing from pot (all per a Thai friend of mine). The first batch was good. The second time I used it I added a tad more water than the cooker instructions said.(instead of 1 1/4 cup I added closer to 1 1/2 cup for long grain rice, 2 serving amount.) The result has been perfect, yummy rice each time since. It's the perfect size for my husband and me. I like the stainless steel exterior. It looks good on my counter, and doesn't take up much space. I've only had it 2 weeks, but so far I'm happy.

STILL LOVE THIS COOKER. The retractable cord has become one of my favorite things. I wish all appliances had one.

2 year update. It's still used weekly in my kitchen. We love it for steamed potatoes and carrots. It still looks great on the counter too. Easy clean up and the cord still retracts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect rice and no problems, March 29, 2007
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
I am amazed that people are having problems with this product. I rinse and soak my rice in a bowl with a strainer (a necessity for non-sticky rice), put 2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water in the pot - and it's fine (I don't put the steamer basket in there because it is not necessary for just rice - could that cause the overflow?). I have absolutely perfect rice very single time. This is the best thing since sliced bread....my husband and son love rice - and this has changed my life. I would pay $100 for this product. I cannot imagine why people are having problems with overflowing and bad rice...I follow the instructions in the manual - and it's great. I'm not one for gadgets - but this is a must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for brown rice, and oatmeal, too..., January 27, 2007
Heather D (Philadephia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
We use this cooker at least once a day -- in the morning to cook oatbran cereal, in the evening to cook brown rice. We bought it after a few close calls burning rice on the stove, and have never had a problem with burnt rice since (it has never been undercooked, either).

I'll admit that I did not really care for the brown rice or oatbran cereal my husband needed to eat for sugar-busters until we found this cooker. Now I really enjoy them!

Pros: Compact, attractive, warming mode, great results time after time.

Cons: Relatively small capacity, top gets very hot, can boil over if you do not use oil, have to unplug it to shut it off.

Since rice expands, it's important to read the guidelines and not try to cook too much. We find using about a teaspoon of olive oil eliminates any boil over. Also, for the hot cereal, try adding dried fruit or nuts -- it's great this way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy meals for one!, October 9, 2005
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
I love my Cuisinart 4-cup rice cooker! It's just the right size for a single cook or for a couple. I've made brown and wild rice in it with good results, and steamed broccoli and tofu in the steamer basket at the same time for a quick, easy meal. It's also wonderful for making oatmeal in the mornings with no stirring or burning. So nice to have breakfast waiting when you get out of the shower! The non-stick cooking surface makes for easy cleanup, too.

Tip: If you spray the inside of the cooking pot with a bit of nonstick cooking spray, you won't have any trouble with boiling over.

5.0 out of 5 stars compact, functional, *and* stylish!, September 30, 2004
This review is from: Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker (Kitchen)
I recently purchased this rice cooker for my small kitchen. Its compact cubic shape will take very little room on your counter, and as an extra plus, its brushed metal look is very attractive. Note that although the body of the cooker itself gets a bit warm, the rim of the pot and the lid get very hot, as the liquid from the cooking food will boil up and come out at the seams, which is okay because the pot and lid are easy to clean... but I wouldn't recommend this product if you have kids, or if you don't have a place to put it outside of a child's reach. The cooker also comes with a little recipe book and some rice-to-water proportions for various types of rice, which is very helpful when cooking a new kind of rice, and a steaming basket for foods, which stands atop the little pot and steams veggies (esp. while cooking rice!) really well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great rice--but horrible spillover and somewhat messy cleanup., July 24, 2005
Everyone seems to love their rice cookers, but rarely do people mention how easy/hard they are to clean when discussing them. We bought an Aroma 11-cup (I think) from Target this past week and it's horrible! It looked great and looked like it would work great...but none of it was dishwasher safe (boo!) and no matter how much or how little rice/water you put in, it bubbled out the little hole and under the lid and just made a general mess of everything in a 2' radius!! We returned it and got the Cuisinart 8-cup model (says it's dishwasher safe!) hoping for better results and...

I hate it! It's worse than the other cooker we tried! If I would have scooped up all the rice sludge that was on my counter that bubbled over, it would surely have been about 1/4 to 1/2 cup. This is RIDICULOUS. I can't believe this doesn't happen to anyone else?! The only thing that I thought of that might make a difference is if I rinsed it first (even though it says I don't have to rinse it). But I tried two test batches, each with Jasmine rice (the only kind we're eating now):

Test Batch A (Rinsing) - it still boiled up and oozed out, although definitely not as much. But I still had puddles and a mess on the outside of the machine. It's something I still wouldn't want to deal with, as you have to hand-wash the base unit.

Test Batch B (Rinsing and Use of Steamer Insert) - I had hoped that the addition of the steamer insert would keep the ooze contained...but no luck. Again, although there definitely wasn't as much ooze, it still came out the sides and ran down the machine.

I didn't do a test batch with less water, since I tested and two of the provided plastic rice cups of water was the same as line 2 on the machine (much to my surprise). I can't imagine how awful the end results would be if I used more than 2 cups of rice???

The only somewhat saving grace is that yes, the pieces can go in the dishwasher--except for the base, which was COVERED in residue no matter which method I used. I've made about five total batches with this machine, each resulting in a messy boilover. The directions did say that you can add butter or oil to help prevent bubbling over, but we are on a no-fat diet so I am not putting oil or butter in my rice--not even for a test!

Unfortunately, since these are the only results I can get, the machine is going back. I love the look and the small size (perfect for leaving on the counter), but I cannot handle having to clean the outside of the machine and my counters each and every time I cook rice (which is about four times a week).

I'm tempted to get one of the Zojirushi fuzzy-logic rice cookers, but I had a hard enough time spending $80 on a cooker, let alone $150!

Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker