This is the upgraded Cuisinart Smart Stick that has accessories. The basic unit does not come with the chopper unit or the whisk; both of these accessories are very useful.

Published 20 months ago by Joanna Daneman

Published 19 months ago by S.E. Poza

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stick blender with attachments that can replace (almost) a food processor, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Cuisinart CSB-79 Smart Stick 2-Speed 200-watt Immersion Hand Blender with Attachments (Kitchen)

The chopper will handle small amounts of herbs such as parsley or rosemary, and easily chop half an onion or some garlic. This means that if you don't have a small bowl attachment for your food processor (or don't have a food processor) you still can do small chopping tasks that are messy on a cutting board.

The whisk allows you to beat egg whites to stiff peaks, necessary for meringues or cakes. As long as your bowl is clean of grease, it is short work to make up perfectly whipped egg whites and a lot easier on the wrist than the traditional way of using a balloon whisk and beating by hand. If I am making a batch of waffles that uses one egg, I separate the egg and whisk up the egg white separately, then fold it in at the end of making the batter. This makes those very light and crisp waffles in a Belgian waffler, and it's the secret to getting very light GLUTEN-FREE waffles. (The gluten free flour mixes can tend to be heavy.)

The stick itself is well-designed. A button on the unit releases the bottom half for cleaning. This will let you do a thorough job without immersing the electrical (upper) part where the motor resides. So if you have something particularly sticky that needs a soak, you can easily do that with the bottom blade portion. Removing the lower portion also lets you attach whisk or insert into the chopper unit.

A beaker also comes with the Smart Stick, for beating up smoothies or other liquids.

The housing around the blade is metal. I've had units in past that had plastic housing, and eventually, if you drop them or they just get very old, the housing cracks. That won't happen with the metal.

The unit has a low and high speed.

Summary: this is a really good stick blender, with all the right notes. If you like to puree your soups, chop nuts, make pesto, and beat egg whites, this unit will do it all.

3.0 out of 5 stars improved over former model, but still poor chopper attachment, April 25, 2013
S.E. Poza (Santa Clara, CA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second Cuisinart immersion blender experience. This model is very similar to the one I tried previously, but, so far, has not shown the serious flaws of the former model. That model had a chopping attachment (mini food processor bowl) which was horrible and totally useless as nothing chopped in it (things just stuck on the blades and spun around and around). The bowl on this one is at least functional (at least for now) and does appear to chop food to some extent. However, it cannot pulse/chop food into anything less than a relative paste and is very uneven. It is best used for small volume foods that you wish to puree (like one can of chickpeas for hummus or a few avocados for guacamole) rather than actual chopping. Also, the lid locking mechanism on it remains annoying to lock in and is troublesome to attach if the tiniest bit of food gets on top of the spindle with the blades (which happens easily because of the small size of the bowl - it's nearly impossible to add food to the bowl when the blade is inserted and not get some on top of the spindle). You have to carefully clean it to get a solid lock.

Other than the chopping attachment, this is a perfectly adequate stick blender. I mainly use it for pureeing soups as it works fine for hot liquids which are not suitable for a blender. You can't get as a fine a puree as a blender, but you also don't have to worry about the top blowing off because of steam building up and getting sprayed with hot liquid. The stainless steel design is attractive and easy to clean, but it will also scrape the bottom of any pot you use it in. My stainless steels soup pot is an intricate mass of scratches as a result of using this. I don't think that's going to be an enormous problem in the long run, but if you like pristine cookware (or use nonstick), you'll want to avoid this blender for in the pot blending.

The whisk attachment is fairly lightweight, but works weel for whipping cream and meringue. I've made hard meringue with it several times and find it to be pretty good. The main issue with this blender, and all blenders of this type, is that you have to constantly hold down a button for it to activate. If you're whipping a meringue, it can get pretty tiresome on your thumb as you have to press for so long. I wish there were an option to keep it running without holding in a button, but I realize this is a common safety feature. Also, if you use it long enough or for a hard enough task, the body of the blender with the motor can get pretty hot. When I've used this to mash large numbers of chickpeas for falafel, the body can get so hot that I can't continue to hold it. I'm using it as a workhorse, and most people probably won't use it this way, but it is something to keep in mind.

Overall, I like Braun's immersion blenders better because they run cooler, have a better chopper, and the tip of the blender seems better designed so as not to get bits of food lodged in it while blending, but this one is fine as long as the chopper attachment isn't integral to your cooking needs. If it is, I'd say look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars This replaces three other appliances for me., June 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the Cuisinart products because of their good looks and unquestionable reliability. I have their hand mixer, their ice cream maker, their food processor, and some cookware. I can vouch for how long-lasting their products are. That's certainly an important thing to consider because, yeah, they cost more than the other guys. But it's almost always true that you do get what you pay for.

I didn't have the earlier version of this stick blender, but I'm glad they added the chopper attachment and the whisk attachment before I got it. I had a separate electric chopper that never did a very thorough job with things like nuts and vegetables, so it is in the trash now. With the Cuisinart chopper attachment I can pick the whole thing up and shake it as it is chopping so that everything tumbles around and is more evenly processed. With the whisk, I don't have to haul out my electric hand mixer or use a manual whisk for small jobs. I still use the electric mixer if I'm making a cake or something, but this little whisk attachment is great for omelets or other small jobs.

I still use the stick by itself more often than any other way. I stick it in my pot of cream of asparagus soup and it pulverizes all the vegetable pieces to make a really smooth soup. I stick it into a pot of gravy to whip those flour lumps out and make a perfectly blended sauce. Nothing else - not my blender or my electric mixer - can atomize all the lumps and chunks and make the creamy smooth result this stick blender can.

The stick can be held in one hand because the buttons are so well located and easy to push with the same hand. Switch between speeds as you blend. The bottom half comes off and can be thrown in the dishwasher when you are done. It's metal and sleek and it's Cuisinart! Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Kitchenaid 3 Speed Hand Blender, October 22, 2013
Amazon Junkie (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I have both this and the similar Kitchenaid hand blender, so I will compare the two.

Ways that Kitchenaid is better: The Kitchenaid hand blender is made of more heavy-duty metal. It does not get hot after blending for long periods of time, as the Cuisinart does. The Kitchenaid hand blender package comes with the canvas bag for storage as well as a lid for the mixing cup, which the same priced Cuisinart does not have. However, the canvas bag is small and not very useful. The Kitchenaid mixing cup and food processor cups are both 1/2 cup larger than the Cuisinart processor and mixing cup. If you're mixing small batches, this difference will not matter

Ways the Cuisinart is better: The Cuisinart has a design that splashes less while blending and can suck chunky pieces into the blender. The Kitchenaid cannot do this; it requires a lot more arm movement to fully blend your food. The Cuisinart blends food faster and seems to have more power.

Overall both are great quality hand blenders.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Cut It, August 20, 2013
I bought this item about two years ago and the cheap plastic innards stripped out when I tried to make pesto. A few months ago, my daughter saw me staring at the same hand blender while in Costco. She thought it would be a better birthday present than a shirt. So . . . we ended up with another Cuisinart hand blender in the house, and a few weeks later I had to chuck it. It is cheaply made, using plastic where metal is required, and can't take the strain of something as simple as chopping nuts. I then told my daughter that when I was "staring" at it in Costco, I was asking myself whether I should risk buying another and having it break on me. Question answered.

1.0 out of 5 stars More of a toy than an appliance, November 13, 2013
elsa blum (roslyn ny United States) - See all my reviews
This is a toy - tried it before I read the directions - can only be used for sixty seconds a time - it got so hot I couldn't hold the handle. Cuisinart customer service confirmed that it can only be used for sixty seconds at a time - this is not enough to puree a pot of soup or vegetables. I returned it and bought a Calphalon for approximately the same price. It's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stick/Immersion Blender with Extras, April 21, 2013
Length:: 3:36 Mins

This video demonstrates the Smart Stick in action.

Pros: Sturdy; great for pureeing soups; whips egg whites and emulsifies dressings; has a mini-bowl attachment for light food processing.

Cons: None, really, other than the fact that most people will have other small appliances in the kitchen that do the work of the attachments.

This would be a fantastic shower/wedding gift. If you make a lot of soups and sauces, an immersion blender is a must, and you might as well have the attachments to go with it.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

1.0 out of 5 stars BLADES DULLED QUICKLY--POORLY DESIGNED TOP LEAKS, August 10, 2013
This stick blender is a great idea, but this particular stick blender falls far short of what it should be. The blades are made of very soft stainless steel. After just a few uses they're so dull they barely chop. Now mostly they push the food around instead of chopping it. The plastic container is made of very thin, poor quality plastic. I am being extremely careful with the plastic pieces, but I don't expect them to last very long. Once the plastic cracks, that's it, game over, gone to the recycler. And the black plastic top for the container is badly made. It is hollow and water somehow gets into it when you wash it. It's impossible to get all that water out when drying it, so the water (soapy and possibly with food particles in it) drips out when you're blending something. Yuck!!! Cheesy quality. Don't buy it. Waste of your hard-earned money.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, March 25, 2013
With this I made three smoothies so far and I am 120% satisfied. I have a food processor so I thought I wouldn't need a hand blender but after I realized that the food processor licks if I work with liquidy stuff, I bought this one. At first, I was going to buy another model from Cusinart (the one with lots of color choice). Yet I saw it in Macy's and I realized the body is made out of plastic and looks not sturdy. So, after reading many reviews in Amazon, I chose this one. This hand blender makes my life twice easier! It is sturdy and very easy to clean. I haven't used the whisk attachment and the chopper one, yet I'm already fully satisfied.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working in 17 months, July 28, 2013
I liked the blender while it lasted. In 17 months two parts got stuck and I couldn't use the other parts. One month later it stopped working altogether. I contacted customer service and was told I have to ship it with $10 check for return shipping (so i will pay about $20-25 total). The new product costs $50. Very disappointing.