4.0 out of 5 stars great skillet but!
Big,and beautiful with a glass top that lets you see exactly how things are cooking. We are big fans and users of electric frying pans, these things are great, and this one is certainly bigger and perhaps better than the many others we have used to death, BUT there is this one flaw and it is hard to get over.

The vent hole in the glass top is too small. Water...
Published on June 13, 2010 by Pete Groves

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needs a major lid improvement
My grandma gave us a 12-inch square electric skillet in the 70s, but we hardly ever used it and eventually gave it to Goodwill. It offered no advantage over stovetop cooking.

Published on December 14, 2010 by M. Schooley

4.0 out of 5 stars great skillet but!, June 13, 2010
This review is from: Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet 14-Inch Nonstick Electric Skillet (Kitchen)

The vent hole in the glass top is too small. Water vapor stuffs up in this little hole and the lid starts to sputter all around the edge and all over the counter top. Cooking too fast? Well no. The temp control shuts on and off as most of them do, and so when it's in the on mode the pan gets a rush of heat and the top then sputters all over the place.

We have had the pan for about eight months, so perhaps cuisinart has corrected this problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needs a major lid improvement, December 14, 2010

My wife got the Green skillet for me last month. The 14 inch size makes it very versatile. You can brown a lot of mushrooms without having to batch-cook them. I'm sure it will fry a lot of chicken too.

The heat distribution is good. At 450 F, you can't sear steaks--leave that to 550F+ cast iron or Staub's enameled iron grill pans-- but golden-browning is wonderfully easy to achieve.

For open-pan cooking, I would give it 4-5 stars.

I must however, subtract two full stars for the patently inadequate lid design. How many of us use lidded pans without using their lids to cook? It would be nice to use the Green skillet to steam, simmer or boil things, but the condensate on the lid underside flows directly to the pan rim, gathers, then bubbles, spits and drips all over the countertop and onto the temp-control module. I have to put a towel over the latter, not knowing if an electrical short could otherwise occur, and even then I have to wipe up the countertop afterwards. Or I have to "crack" the lid (which lessens dripping and directs it to one area). Not a fatal issue, but indicative of less-than-fully-thoughtful attention to functional detail by Cuisinart.

Two design modifications to the lid would greatly improve things. 1) a much larger vent hole with a sliding shutter to adjust the size of the orifice, and 2) a glass or metal circular rim on the underside running maybe a half inch from the lid's edge, to force lid-condensate to drip into the pan instead of flowing to the lid/pan-edges interface and sputtering out.

All in all, we're using this pan a lot, as it works really well for open-pan cooking, and then using the lid to keep food warm.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - KNOCKOFF!!, December 5, 2011
Although it initially worked well, this pan was a knock-off, not a Cuisinart item, as stated. The coating began lifting off after a few uses. The recipient contacted Cuisinart, which advised her of the propensity for sales on Amazon often being knock-offs. The parts come from the same source, but there are differences, such as the coating. (Cuisinart was very kind and, since she had the original receipt, allowed her to return the first pan at her cost and then shipped her a genuine cuisinart CSK-250, which definitely had a different coating.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product with one flaw, September 27, 2010
Nice large, deap, non stick, electric skillet with a heavy glass lid that has a vent hole in it. The only issue is that it has a small metal handle on the lid that gets very hot and you have to use a pot holder or oven glove to lift it when you want to stir the food. I would give this product five stars if they replaced the metal handle with a larger heat resistant handle.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Cuisinart Quality, September 14, 2011
I have purchased several Cuisinart products in the past, but this electric skillet is just not up to snuff. We have used it for 8 months. It is not easy to clean. The coating is shedding (into our food, yuck!) and I am replacing it with a stainless steel version by another manufacturer. We use our electric skillet every day and curse the day Farberware decided to stop making theirs. This was an expensive experiment for us, and I recommend purchasers think twice before spending this kind of money on a product that does not perform. The one positive is the size. It is quite large, so people with big families might find it useful--as long as they don't mind feeding the coating material to their children.

1.0 out of 5 stars does not heat, February 4, 2011
I have used it twice to make French Cruellers. They are fried in 2" of oil. The first time I set the thermostat for 325F and when the light went out I assumed it was up to Temp. Put my donut in and it just sat there. I tried the 350 setting but that didn't bring the temp up much so I turned it to 450 and was able to get the cruellers done.

Today I decided to try it again. I put the 2 inches of room temp oil in the fry pan. Turned the thermostat to 350F. I checked it with a very trusty Thermo-Pen after 30 minutes and it was barely up to 250F. I finally turned the thermostat up to 450F and ONE hour later it registered 350 on my Thermo-Pen.

I feel there is something wrong with this skillet. I have many many Cuisinart products including all of their stainless steel cookware and I've been very happy with it. I would have written to the seller but haven't a clue who that is or how to find an email link for them.

terry pogue
potomac, maryland

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate test !!!, February 24, 2010
I brought the skillet to work and cooked frozen pot stickers to celebrate the Chinese New Year with co-workers. The pot stickers first steamed, then browned/crisped beatifully on the bottom, very impressive. It cleans super easy. This one is a keeper as it provides "portability" options. Everybody loves to eat at work, I am thinking about fried rice next. I am also looking forward to use it for the Chinese "hot/fire pot" dinner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase., May 16, 2010
So glad I bought this skillet. I make a breakfast casserole, omlete-type dish that works best in one pan and my old electric frying pan was on it's last leg. I have been looking for a replacement for about a year. I hesitated before spending well over $100.00 ( my original top price ) but I am so glad I did. Skillet heated quickly for frying the chopped bacon, then elevated temp upward to fry the potatoes crisp and back down to low to set the eggs. Anyhow, not a thing stuck, cleaned up like a breeze! Now, I can't wait to make my potstickers, like a previous reviewer mentioned; with this unit it sounds like I can steam them and brown all in one pan! This is definitely bigger then my older, smaller skillet ( Rival w/a metal lid) so I had to shift some bowls around in cabinet to make it fit, but other then being round instead of square that is only thing that I had to do. The ''green-pan'' coating was also a added feature that was attractive. I only ever use wooden or high-heat plastic utensils in my non-stick cookware anyway, so that is only specific direction for the wear and care of this unit - not a biggie! Plus, it's stainless steel exterior, so it even matches my oven, and other appliances. I know this will last for years and will suit my needs perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a useful appliance, but of questionable quality., February 5, 2012
At Bloomingdale's I was shown a Cuisinart Green Gourmet pot and was convinced I could use it to fry an egg without oil. It worked well enough that I gave away my All Clad collection and searched for more Green Gourmet objects. They are scarce.

I bought the electric skillet and learned that I could cook any stove top meal in it. I read the reviews and ignored the slight chipping of the edges. I didn't mind having to use a mitt to detach the plug. I was willing to prop open the lid so liquids wouldn't boil over. Contrary to some criticism I thought it was easy to clean or maybe I am more tolerant of such chores. I began to use it as often as 3 times a week (I eat out a lot). It's big enough for all my needs and became my favorite appliance.

Half the time I used it I wished the skillet had been more carefully detailed and made--even if that meant charging twice or three times as much. The skillet's flat bottom was hotter in the center and made me wish for a more sophisticated heating element. I worried about the electrics and made sure the skillet was never immersed in water. I was concerned about how hot the plastic temperature dial and connector would get. The inelegant dual prong connector between the skillet and power cord scared me. The skillet and cord materials seemed flimsy and made me wonder about the safety and durability of the heating element within. I thought that if it lasted for 2 years I would be satisfied even though I worried about feeding the ever-growing Mt. Garbage.

Suddenly, it stopped working. I was cooking dinner for friends and had been turning it on and off for 4 hours in the afternoon for sauteing and simmering. For the final warming up period before serving it failed. When I thought it was taking a long time to reach simmer I turned the dial from 300 to 400 and there was no light. I turned it off. I unplugged it. I tested the outlets. I plugged it back in. I turned it on and off again. No luck. Glad I had another pot large enough to contain everything that was still cold in my Cuisinart electric skillet. Dinner turned out fine, but the Cuisinart is definitely defunct.

I bought it less than 6 months ago. I will probably have to buy another electric skillet, but hope for much better quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Electric Skillet Ever !, January 22, 2011
Quality product. Much bigger than I imagined. Every square inch of cooking space is usable since this thing heats very evenly. If you want a nice crust on your pork chops this skillet will do it! It can get very hot if you want it to. Accurate controls. The lid is glass and you won't even hear it sizzle until you pull off the lid. Highly recommended.

Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet 14-Inch Nonstick Electric Skillet
$270.00 $133.42
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies