Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet 14-Inch Nonstick Electric Skillet
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 13, 2010
Big,and beautiful with a glass top that lets you see exactly how things are cooking. We are big fans and users of electric frying pans, these things are great, and this one is certainly bigger and perhaps better than the many others we have used to death, BUT there is this one flaw and it is hard to get over.

The vent hole in the glass top is too small. Water vapor stuffs up in this little hole and the lid starts to sputter all around the edge and all over the counter top. Cooking too fast? Well no. The temp control shuts on and off as most of them do, and so when it's in the on mode the pan gets a rush of heat and the top then sputters all over the place.

We have had the pan for about eight months, so perhaps cuisinart has corrected this problem.
11 comment| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2010
My grandma gave us a 12-inch square electric skillet in the 70s, but we hardly ever used it and eventually gave it to Goodwill. It offered no advantage over stovetop cooking.

My wife got the Green skillet for me last month. The 14 inch size makes it very versatile. You can brown a lot of mushrooms without having to batch-cook them. I'm sure it will fry a lot of chicken too.

The heat distribution is good. At 450 F, you can't sear steaks--leave that to 550F+ cast iron or Staub's enameled iron grill pans-- but golden-browning is wonderfully easy to achieve.

For open-pan cooking, I would give it 4-5 stars.

I must however, subtract two full stars for the patently inadequate lid design. How many of us use lidded pans without using their lids to cook? It would be nice to use the Green skillet to steam, simmer or boil things, but the condensate on the lid underside flows directly to the pan rim, gathers, then bubbles, spits and drips all over the countertop and onto the temp-control module. I have to put a towel over the latter, not knowing if an electrical short could otherwise occur, and even then I have to wipe up the countertop afterwards. Or I have to "crack" the lid (which lessens dripping and directs it to one area). Not a fatal issue, but indicative of less-than-fully-thoughtful attention to functional detail by Cuisinart.

Two design modifications to the lid would greatly improve things. 1) a much larger vent hole with a sliding shutter to adjust the size of the orifice, and 2) a glass or metal circular rim on the underside running maybe a half inch from the lid's edge, to force lid-condensate to drip into the pan instead of flowing to the lid/pan-edges interface and sputtering out.

All in all, we're using this pan a lot, as it works really well for open-pan cooking, and then using the lid to keep food warm.
22 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2011
Although it initially worked well, this pan was a knock-off, not a Cuisinart item, as stated. The coating began lifting off after a few uses. The recipient contacted Cuisinart, which advised her of the propensity for sales on Amazon often being knock-offs. The parts come from the same source, but there are differences, such as the coating. (Cuisinart was very kind and, since she had the original receipt, allowed her to return the first pan at her cost and then shipped her a genuine cuisinart CSK-250, which definitely had a different coating.)
on September 27, 2010
Nice large, deap, non stick, electric skillet with a heavy glass lid that has a vent hole in it. The only issue is that it has a small metal handle on the lid that gets very hot and you have to use a pot holder or oven glove to lift it when you want to stir the food. I would give this product five stars if they replaced the metal handle with a larger heat resistant handle.
on March 21, 2014
I purchased this skillet 15 months ago. It worked pretty well for about the first year, using it a few times a week on average. It, like most electric skillets, isn't the most consistent in heating to a certain temperature. It tends to cycle off and on and doesn't seem to stay at a consistent temperature, but that may be the nature of these skillets. One just needs to be constantly attending it, which is okay. I loved how big it was - it held so much and I particularly liked the fact that it is ceramic. A couple of months ago the light went out on the temperature probe, but it still seemed to work, but then recently it stopped working altogether. Upon inspection, we found that one of the holes in the probe was burned out - it looked burned. I ordered a new temperature probe from Cuisinart for $30 and when we tried it, the skillet heated to extremely hot at a med/low temp and smelled very strongly of burned plastic. We unplugged the unit and found the temperature probe to be almost too hot to touch but we pulled it out and though it smelled burned, we didn't see any burned areas. It definitely isn't safe to use. There is something wrong with the skillet itself to heat up like that and burn the probes. I looked up the warranty information online and Cuisinart has a "lifetime" warranty on this product. I contacted the customer service department at Cuisinart via email to see about a repair or replacement and they asked for the serial # and model # and proof that it was purchased less than 3 years ago (so much for lifetime). I provided them the information they requested, and sent the link to the invoice/purchase info from my Amazon account that showed I bought the unit new in Jan of 2013 (15 months ago). They stalled and took over a week of going back and forth with me before they finally said that the unit is OUT OF WARRANTY so they are doing nothing about it. I don't know what the average lifetime of these units are, but Cuisinart is NOT a reliable company to deal with so purchase at your own risk. I liked the skillet while it worked but the company does not honor their warranties and I think that 15 months is not a long-enough lifespan for a skillet of this price.

UPDATE: About 2 weeks later and 15+ more emails back and forth, Cuisinart agreed to send a new temperature probe at no cost to me to "honor" their warranty. I received it and used it today. Surprisingly, the skillet worked perfectly. No clicks or loud pops, no overheating. So with only one use to judge it by, it seems to have fixed my problem. I guess I had just bad luck with TWO defective temperature probes....
on February 4, 2011
I have used it twice to make French Cruellers. They are fried in 2" of oil. The first time I set the thermostat for 325F and when the light went out I assumed it was up to Temp. Put my donut in and it just sat there. I tried the 350 setting but that didn't bring the temp up much so I turned it to 450 and was able to get the cruellers done.

Today I decided to try it again. I put the 2 inches of room temp oil in the fry pan. Turned the thermostat to 350F. I checked it with a very trusty Thermo-Pen after 30 minutes and it was barely up to 250F. I finally turned the thermostat up to 450F and ONE hour later it registered 350 on my Thermo-Pen.

I feel there is something wrong with this skillet. I have many many Cuisinart products including all of their stainless steel cookware and I've been very happy with it. I would have written to the seller but haven't a clue who that is or how to find an email link for them.

terry pogue
potomac, maryland
on September 14, 2011
I have purchased several Cuisinart products in the past, but this electric skillet is just not up to snuff. We have used it for 8 months. It is not easy to clean. The coating is shedding (into our food, yuck!) and I am replacing it with a stainless steel version by another manufacturer. We use our electric skillet every day and curse the day Farberware decided to stop making theirs. This was an expensive experiment for us, and I recommend purchasers think twice before spending this kind of money on a product that does not perform. The one positive is the size. It is quite large, so people with big families might find it useful--as long as they don't mind feeding the coating material to their children.
on November 13, 2015
I just love it. The clean up is fast. The size is great. It is perfect for frying hash browns and eggs for breakfast. The only small complaint is that temperature indicator light turns off once the skillet reaches the correct temperature. I would prefer a power sensor indicator light instead.
review image review image review image
on June 26, 2014
Wow Wow Wow, this product has not disappointed me in any way. Packaging truly protected the item, looked classy and was easy to remove from box. Item is bigger than i had expected so one must have a space to store it. I use it every night and have cooked paella, rice chili and all kinds of meats. Tonight i will do a maple honey glazed grouper. Easy to use and easy to follow instructions included. I now have more fun in the kitchen using this item knowing that clean up will be sooooo much easier. Highly recommended to everyone. This item is built to last.
on February 24, 2010
I brought the skillet to work and cooked frozen pot stickers to celebrate the Chinese New Year with co-workers. The pot stickers first steamed, then browned/crisped beatifully on the bottom, very impressive. It cleans super easy. This one is a keeper as it provides "portability" options. Everybody loves to eat at work, I am thinking about fried rice next. I am also looking forward to use it for the Chinese "hot/fire pot" dinner.