Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Color: Brushed ChromeChange

on July 18, 2005
I've had the Cuisinart DCC-1200 for about a week now. I was hesitant to spend so much on a coffee maker but I'm happy to report it's well worth it. Sure, you can get other brands of coffee makers for under $25 if economy is the most important feature, but I've had those machines and I decided that, this time, a good cup of coffee was most important for me. This unit makes the best coffee I've had in a home or office machine and better than most coffee I've had in restaurants.

This coffee tastes smooooooth! I suspect the charcoal water filter is the reason for that. I also like the "shower head" design of the water spout. The water actually runs up a track onto the underside of the lid and is sprinkled over the ground coffee like a rain shower.

It's an attractive unit but it also looks like a serious coffee maker. This unit is no toy. It looks and feels solid. The carafe has a good solid feel and balance. The plastic parts (like the plastic carafe lid and handle) feel like good heavyweight plastic and are well molded. It's not the lightweight crappy plastic that cracks and discolors easily in the cheap coffee makers.

I like the 5 beeps when the coffee is ready. Now I can leave the kitchen and go clean or whatever and I don't have to keep running back to see if I can get a cup yet. I can hear the beeps. But if I really can't wait and want a cup in mid-brew, I can just remove the pot and pour a cup - you've got a full 30 seconds to reinsert the pot, before you risk an overflowing filter.

I like the permanent gold-tone filter too. I always thought paper filters were a pain. They'd fold over sometimes and there'd be grounds in my coffee. But you can use paper filters in this machine if you want to. I just prefer the convenience of the gold-tone filter (top rack machine washable too).

It has an indicator light for cleaning -- it says it's "self-cleaning" but really it's just a light telling you when you need to pour in a pot of water/vinegar and run it through to decalcify the unit. (I never thought to do that with my other units. Probably another reason my coffee wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.)

The low-medium-high setting on the hot plate is pretty nice too. And the auto-shutoff feature is great. I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn the machine off.

The instruction booklet is very good and very thorough. Comes with a parts reordering form too.

What don't I like about this machine? It requires maintenance in that you have to change the charcoal filters. But actually I don't mind since I think they are the reason the coffee tastes so smooth, and they are very easy to change and not expensive [...]

Also, the area in the top of the machine where you pour in the water is narrow but again this is just a minor inconvenience. Just have to pour a little carefully.

So really it's almost all positives with a couple of very minor negatives. I highly recommend this coffee maker.
2020 comments957 of 982 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2002
After purchasing 3 other coffee makers, the 4th one is the charm! This coffee maker makes great tasting coffee. I never knew there was a difference -- it's worth spending a few more dollars on. It also has all of the features I was looking for such as: adjustable warming plate, 1-4 cup selection, water filter, programmable. It is a rather tall machine, but certainly not a problem as it fits fine underneathe most cabinets. Als, the carafe is well-made and has a spout that pours nicely without spilling. No complaints about this one!
1616 comments818 of 858 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2001
Two weeks ago, I needed a new coffee maker. The Krups Aroma Control maker is in all the stores and catalogs, so I bought one in the local mall BEFORE reading the Amazon reviews. BIG MISTAKE. Lesson learned - read the reviews - many negative comments. I used it for 3 days, and readily understood the description (...) of "eye candy" (looks nice, but seems like cheap plastic) and weak coffee (what they describe as a feature - allowing the coffee to steep - is really a euphemism for a poorly designed system that is guaranteed to give you a weak cup of coffee). One redeeming feature - the carafe is very nice.
Within 2 days of having the Krups, i was on Amazon looking for a replacement coffee maker (a good cup of coffee is critical in the morning!). I went out on the risk curve and ordered the new Cuisinart - no reviews yet. The Cuisinart has a more classic brewing system (water goes through grinds via gravity), yields a delicious cup of HOT coffee, has a variable temperature hot place, and looks and feels solid. We happen to have stainless steel appliances (refrigerator, freezer, stove), and it matches beautifully. Best news - excellent coffee!. I would highly recommend the Cuisinart.
33 comments844 of 897 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2011
I've commented on others' reviews, but wanted to get this up there where people can see it readily. I liked this coffee maker a LOT since I got it just over a year ago. It has a few little quirks, which you'll read about in other reviews, but made good coffee and I hadn't had any problems with it. UNTIL last week. It auto-brewed like normal and my husband had taken his coffee and left the pot with the remaining coffee (2-3 cups worth) for me to drink later. I came into the kitchen perhaps 20 minutes after the brewing to find the pot BOILING...literally, a HARD, rolling boil, there was a little smoke and the kitchen smelled like burning wires. I cringe every time I think of what "could" have happened if I hadn't been there! I removed the pot, unplugged the unit, and poured water into the reservoir in hopes of cooling it down - which worked.

I was outside the return time for Amazon so I contacted Cuisinart to inquire about the 3-year limited warranty. They "normally" charge a $10 replacement fee, plus require you to pay to send the old unit back to them. They were willing to waive the $10 return fee, but I paid $9.95 to send the old one back. I haven't yet gotten the replacement, but after doing more research, I've decided that I don't feel safe using it. I've contacted the Consumer Products Safety Commission (1-800-698-2772) and suggest that anyone with a similar problem do so. I think that this coffee maker should be recalled.

I'm adding more here in hopes that this review gets refreshed and up to the top again! In addition, I've commented the following on another's review:

"I'm one of those who posted in an earlier posting about the fire hazard on this coffeemaker. I am SHOCKED that it is still being sold! People - if you are looking at this coffeemaker, I suggest you keep looking. Yes, it makes great coffee and looks great, as many reviewers have said. However, please give more weight to the safety issues than the coffee or the looks. As far as I can tell there have been no injuries from this...but it seems just a matter of time. If you insist on this coffee maker, don't ever leave it alone on the stay warm setting!"
172172 comments583 of 639 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2002
Folks, this is one excellent coffee maker. I read the comments here and decided to get it even though some had complained of spillage when lifting the lid and also the coffee not being hot enough. Well I can tell you that when I lift the lid on mine, the water rolls to the back and then drips back into the machine on a nifty little lip attached to the back of the machine. It appears that Cuisinart has engineered a solution for the complaints of spilled water that some reviewers mention. Also, the coffee coming out of the carafe of my machine has steam drifting off of it, so it is plenty hot, another complaint that seems to have been remedied. There were also a couple of complaints about finger prints on the stainless and the small LED clock being hard to read, but let's be for real, all brushed stainless appliances will fingerprint and this is a very stylish coffee maker, not a kitchen clock(that's what your microwave is for! (wink)). Actually I think the Cuisinart guys intended the clock for autoprogramming functions and made it LED to match the stainless on the machine. And if you don't like the water filter, you don't have to use it. It is a nicety and can be readily found if you search the net for "dcc1200 water filter".
Enough defending complaints though. This machine makes superb coffee. It has the best carafe I have ever used(it will not spill a drop and it has a built-in plastic rim to keep you from busting it on the sink). It comes with a gold metal filter. Buy it and you will like it. And if for some strange reason you don't, then take it back. All jabs aside, this is an outstanding machine in form as well as function, and the people at Cuisinart obviously care what their customers think of their products. That means alot to me. How about you???
22 comments258 of 283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2004
First I'd like to say that these review sites really kill me. Invariably, you have to wade through countless trivial comments like, "I had to turn the spool wheel too many times before I could change the string on my string trimmer" or, here's a classic, "the stereo I bought is just too loud and I have to keep the volume at the number 5 setting all the time." (trust me, this is from an actual review). Well, you'll be happy to know that the reviews for the DCC-1200 are no different. Anywhere from "why do you have to turn the knob to brew and then flick a switch for on" to, "I can hear the plastic creaking as it heats up" (that one really makes me laugh) to, "it's just too tall and doesn't fit under my cabinets" (didn't you size it up before you bought it)?
Look people, this unit makes coffee. It does it well and it does it like it's supposed to. You pour water in the top, add your favorite beans, wait a bit and, here's the kicker, coffee comes out the bottom! Holy smokes! It's got two knobs, an on and off switch and a few buttons to set things like the clock. To brew, turn the knob to brew and flick the on switch. To auto-brew, turn the knob to auto-brew and flick the on switch. To program the clock/auto on/auto off, turn the knob to clock/auto on/auto off and... press a button. Wow, this is really tough stuff. And, to make matters worse, omygosh, the LCD clock doesn't have a back light!! Armageddon here we come. You don't have enough clocks in your kitchen between the wall, the microwave, the oven, and every other stinking thing that has to tell you the time these days?
The other knob adjusts the hot plate setting. Low-Med-High. Trust me, there are many complaints that the Cuisinart doesn't get their coffee hot enough. Not hot enough? How hot do you really want it? I'm sure Cuisinart wasn't thinking about their specs reaching boiling temperature when they designed this thing. Trust me folks, it's close enough. I'd say close to McDonald's scalding hot coffee but I won't even sue Cuisinart for potentially burning my crotch.
As for the plastic creaking, when the temperature heats up, the plastic expands inside, what do you want anyway? Whatddya mean it's only stainless steel on the outside? I've been ripped off!!! I mean come on, if you really want a true stainless steel coffee maker, go spend the $2000 and buy professional so that you can mount it on the dash of your Beemer. Just don't waste our time with comments like this.
Oh yeah and the alarm/beeping that everyone's complaining about? Well, let me just say that the "Hounds of the Baskervilles" comment is a little unjustified. I would hate to hear what this person does when their microwave goes off, or, if their telephone rings, or if one of the kids makes a noise. Folks, this is a series of 5 small beeps when the brewing cycle is near completion. Kind of a tee tee tee tee tee. So, unless you sleep with your coffee maker on your night stand, I wouldn't worry so much about this one.
Condensation. I don't know one coffee maker out there that when you open the lid to dump your grounds just after the brewing is complete where some of it doesn't drip on the countertop. So, suck it up. Get your sink sponge and wipe it up. Are we that inconvenienced by this?
And finally, the dreaded reservoir comment. "It's too small and I pour water all over the place." Blah blah. Pour water in, get coffee out. So far, I haven't missed the bullseye. Could I be doing something wrong here? And about those darned tank markers. Does anybody honestly use those things? Fill up the pot and pour it in. Now you know how much coffee you'll make. Huh?!
The bottom line is that this is a good coffee maker. It has a self cleaning cycle to tell you when to decalcify, makes piping hot coffee but... oh no, produces condensation. It's kind of like when you heat water on the stove and it produces that steamy stuff, and it forms those... water droplets. Ah whatever.
Look, if you're the type who doesn't have to have their maid do everything for them or worse flog the person who doesn't quite fold the towel right on the towel bar, go out and buy this product, you won't be disappointed.
6666 comments601 of 670 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2002
Listen to me, folks. Stop shopping around. This is the coffeemaker you should purchase. My friends, co-workers, and family members were beginning to show concern for my pathological obsession with my own search for the perfect coffeemaker. I began with a Krups. The coffee was not warm enough. I moved onto a KitchenAid Pro 12, which was excellent and would be my second recommendation. (Only complaints: The cord is too big, as are all KitchenAid cords, and the exterior water level indicator is not readable.) When my ex-fiancee kept the KitchenAid after the split, I tried the 4-cup model, but that was a huge disappointment. Too many problems to list. Don't waste your time. Finally, I found the Cuisinart, and have been happy ever since. This model has everything I was looking for: a water filter, cone-shaped basket, program capability, etc. The look and design of the Cuisinart was a big selling point for me, as well: sophisticated without being pretentious. Also, whether I use Folger's or freshly-ground Gevalia, guests always compliment my coffee now. There is a slight problem with condensation that drips down the back when the lid is lifted, and fingerprints show up easily, but these are minor issues when the coffee is this good. In fact, these complaints don't warrant so much as a half-star reduction. I believe you will be very happy with this coffeemaker.
0Comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2003
The Cuisinart DCC 1200 Brew Central Coffeemaker is the best coffeemaker that I have ever owned. I have been using it for the last several months and have not regreted making this purchase. I looked at other manufacturers of coffeemakers, Braun, Krups, and the like, but I felt that they didn't offer what this coffeemaker has to offer. I love the retro style with the stainless steel look. It's a breeze to program and if you don't need 12 cups a coffee, you press one button on the front and you can make a great small pot of coffee. It by far makes the best pot of coffee that I have ever tasted, and since I roast my own coffee at home I should know.
There are a couple of minor issues, but they are so minor it isn't a large drawback to the machine. It can be a chore to pour in the water and with it large size, with top lid open, you have to pull it out from under the upper kitchen cabinets to fill. It's a minor inconvenience, but when you use it daily you slowly find little tricks that make those minor issues seem to disappear. Others have complained about not seeing the clock very well, but why depend on your coffeemaker to tell time when it is really there to be programmed to wake up to a hot pot of delicious coffee. The condensation issue hasn't been a problem for me, so I can't comment on that issue that some have had with this coffeemaker.
I will say that if you are looking for a great coffemaker, then this is the one for you. It's a bit more money than most coffeemakers, but I think that for the money this coffeemaker is the best bang for the buck and you will never regret owning one.
0Comment86 of 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I recently decided that it was time to buy a new coffeemaker and wanted the BEST! I did my research thoroughly, online and by word-of-mouth, and decided on Cuisinart's DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central Coffeemaker. This terrific gadget arrived a week ago and I am thrilled with it.
I love my coffee and usually make time to have at least one, if not two, 12 oz. mugs of freshly brewed java before I leave the house in the AM. Although this is a 12 cup coffeemaker, the settings are geared for a 5 oz. cup. So, for those of you who think a 12 cup machine is too much, this factor should be considered. Coffee is 98% water and if the quality of water used is not good, your final result won't be either. Cuisinart's DCC-1200 has a charcoal water filter that removes chlorine, calcium, bad tastes and odors. The self-cleaning feature is terrific and a warning light will flash to notify when calcium buildup is interfering with the machine's functioning mechanism. Programming for delayed brew time is a snap with the LCD digital clock. One of the features I like best is the heater plate control knob. I like my coffee steaming hot - and this feature assures that I can control the temperature of the nonstick heating plate. The machine also looks great on my kitchen counter.
I had thought about buying a combination coffeemaker/coffee grinder and decided against it. Apparently, many combination machines leave a sludgy residue and are a hassle to clean. I preferred using my own grinder, which is easy to clean, and this coffee maker - also very easy to clean and maintain. This machine is a coffee lover's dream!!
I bought the BEST! Very highly recommended!!
JANA
0Comment78 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2003
Just brewed my 1st cup of coffee with the Brew Central DCC-1200.
Before my purchase through Amazon I read all 58 reviews of this product and was concerned about the 50-50 division of opinion on the quality of the brew, whether it was hot enough (I need it hot), and the water mess on the counter when the cover was raised. I should add that I recently purchased and returned a Krups (great coffee but a clunker for endurance--froze up twice after a few months operation) and Capresso (dull, undrinkable coffee).
My empiracle assessment of the DCC-1200 is that:
1. The brew is superior;
2. It is hot--can't see how it could be hotter;
3. A plastic lip connected to the reservoir cover on the back of the machine catches any condensation runoff when the cover is raised.
0Comment79 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse