5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine.....please read
Published on November 29, 2005 by Dr. M. Diercks

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive coffee maker for only 1 year use
Published on December 16, 2007 by Paxton in AZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine.....please read, November 29, 2005
This review is from: Cuisinart DCC-2000 Coffee-on-Demand 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal (Kitchen)
This is really a great coffee maker. The negative reviews all seem to be fixated on the fact that you have to pour water into the reservoir, and the unit doesn't come with a container for this purpose!! Is Cuisinart the Devil? Should I call my lawyer and file a class action suit? What is wrong with people today? Is is really that difficult to procure a plastic pitcher of some sort, fill it with water and then transfer that water into the coffee maker? I think not, and I do it one or two time a day myself without covering my kitchen counters with water. If you are not able to pour water from a pitcher into the reservoir of a coffee machine, I really do not think that you should be trusted with a hot cup of coffee either.

The coffee tastes great, never burnt. It is easy to program and clean and does not take up a whole lot of room. It also comes with one of those re-usable, permanent gold filters which many companies sell separately for about $20. My girlfriend can operate this thing easily, and she has a hard time figuring out the remote control for the TV. If she can program this unit, so can you. As to the other negative comments I have read which describe a powerless, malfunctioning unit, I have had no problems whatsoever with mine. Hope this review was useful, thanks for reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive coffee maker for only 1 year use, December 16, 2007
Cuisinart has known problem with this coffee maker. The lid builds up condensation and when you open it, it runs down the back and eventually your timer/brewing mechanism will go out. Multiple reviews have had the same problem. Granted, when I called Cuisinart, they are willing to replace it. (Immediately reached a customer service rep on a Sunday afternoon). But I have to pay the shipping out and include a $10 check for return shipping, and in the meantime, I am a month without a coffee maker.

Oh... and by the way, the customer service rep was immediately aware of the problem, so it is a known problem to Cuisinart as well. When I asked the customer service rep if I could replace this machine with a different machine since it is a known defect, she said no, you can only replace like machine for like machine. I guess your only hope is they will discontinue the product.

If you are unfortunate like me and only read this review after you have already purchased the product, my suggestion would be to open the lid just a small amount to hopefully prevent the condensation from running down the back and keeping it in the grinds basket. Then after the condensation has run off, open in the remainder of the way to remove the grinds or add water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart carafe-less coffee maker, July 30, 2005
We just purchased this coffee maker. Very unique design in that it uses no carafe but a tank inside the coffee maker to store the brewed coffee. You then press a lever to dispense the coffee. My wife has a habit of breaking the glass carafes and so this should avoid this problem in the future. The plastic tank holds the brew basket as well as the coffee and both are removable for cleaning. Full featured with LCD clock, auto start, and adjustable warming time. The most expensive coffee maker we have ever bought but it is well built and most importantly it makes great coffee.

UPDATE
Have to downgrade my rating to 1 star. While it made great coffee, the coffee maker kept failing. After going through 2 units we gave up and bought a Cuisinart DCC 1200 (with a carafe). We've had it almost two years and so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE LOVE THIS FREAKING MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!, June 2, 2006
It's quick, quiet, clean, and looks good too.

Filling it up is EZ, especially if you have a sprayer hose thingy on your sink. Otherwise YES you will need another container (preferrably one with a spout) unless you're very adept & not clumsy. If you pour around the top sloppily it WILL get the counter wet, as others have noticed. The tank that holds the finished coffee does come out & you could use this as well but I think it would be kinda awkward, haven't tried it.

It does come with one water filter that supposedly is good for 2 months. Or just put your own filtered water in there & skip the filters all together.

The timer & clock is easily setup. It brews quietly with little gurgling and finishes with a few low non-obnoxious beeps. It's weird how quickly it sets up, I find myself standing there a few seconds afterwards trying to figure out what I forgot to do because it's that zippy of a process.

There are no swinging baskets to fiddle with - the top lifts straight up to give you access to the water area, the inner "pot" that holds the brewed coffee, and the two baskets for grounds. The larger square one is for using paper filters - this one must stay in the machine. The smaller gold filter fits in this one if you go paperless.

Coffee stays HOT but not stupidly dangerously hot like gas station coffee. The last cup is as good as the first - I've grabbed some 3 hours after brewing & tho cooling at that point (heater is on for 2 hours) the coffee tasted fine - not bitter or burned or evaporated down at all. As often as I'm up getting the last murky cup (roomie makes the pot at 5:30am) this makes me VERY happy. We use generic & Kroger brand coffees too, nothing gourmet except very rarely. I can't wait to put some REAL coffee in this to see how it does. Well actually I did today I forgot about that! Decaff southern pecan. It had a distinctive chocolate flavor that I've never experienced before, bonus!

I'd been reviewing & compairing coffee pots for a few months now looking for a number of features: extra cups (12), carafe-less or no-spill thermos, timer/clock. As a bonus this coffee maker is sexy. I like the stainless shiny plate that you put your cup on (and it never gets a drop on it) and the brushed stainless sides that wipe up instantly with a damp washrag - especially if it's hot. The finger marks just evaporate as you wipe. And it doesn't steam up the underside of the cabinets or walls either.

Serving is a breeze, just put your cup under & press the lever. Viola! For very tall cups the grill lifts out easily giving you an extra inch. For jumbo cups (like tall travel mugs) yeah you gonna have to pour in another cup & then dump into YOUR cup.

My only "EH!?" is the gold filter. The one that comes with it just feels a little flimsy to me, I have another one from an old pot I use instead. It's probably fine but I'm just used to the weight of the one I've got.

EDIT 8/30/06 STILL loving this coffee pot!!!!!
We make an average of 3 pots a day, sometimes 4. Still going strong, no problems at all. I run 2 cups of vinegar thru the system (top the rest off with water) to clean and then another pot of clear water to rinse. This keeps everything sparkling.
It's my favorite piece of kitchen equipment - to say the least. I FINALLY have a tidy area around the coffee pot with no drips or sloshed coffee. HURRAH!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Smart Design, December 10, 2005
Mike Roda (Saint Cloud, MN) - See all my reviews
I almost passed on this coffee maker after reading the reviews about needing an additional container for adding the water to the coffee maker. Then I decided to read all of the reviews that were posted and luckily I read the post by "Dee "buffysomers2". She mentioned that the inside container that holds the brewed coffee has a built in pour feature. She is right and it works really great, there is a small hinged flap that will allow no drip pouring. Lucky for myself and Cuisinart she was very observant. She is correct on this feature not being mentioned in the instructions. I am really glad that we decided to go with this coffee maker it is easily the best design that I have tried so far. Makes a great tasting cup of coffee and there is not any dripping from the spout after dispensing a cup. We have now officially retired our Senseo.

Thanks Dee "buffysomers2" and Cuisinart,

Mike Roda

5.0 out of 5 stars great coffee and not rocket science!, December 27, 2005
Lisa P. (Babylon, NY) - See all my reviews
After much hinting, I finally received this coffee maker this Christmas. I was so excited to use it and was very impressed when I did. Let me just address some other reviewer's concerns right off the bat:

1)It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can use the inside REMOVABLE resevoir to add the water. Maybe that's what the pour spout is for!
2) I was also concerned about my husband's travel mug not fitting under the dispenser until I actually looked at the machine for a minute and realized that if you remove the entire drip tray, there is a cut-out into which your average travel mug fits perfectly.

Coffee tastes great and is very hot which is very important to both me and my husband since he likes his with a lot of milk and I usually don't get to have my cup until 2 hours after it's brewed at which time it's still very hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appealing both for gadget freaks and the spouses who love them!, December 5, 2005
This really is a great coffeemaker. It not only makes excellent coffee but also cleverly avoids the problem of coffee left over in the carafe cooking into mud on the heating plate over the course of several hours. Several guests have admired the look of the machine, the taste of the coffee produced, or both.

Complaints about the need to use a measuring cup or pitcher to pour water into this coffeemaker seem somewhat off base to me-- maybe these people are uncoordinated (or I'm much more so than I thought). It seems to me no big deal to fill the coffeemaker when I set it up each evening for the following morning. I'm not ending up with significant spills.

The machine is actually quite well designed, both asthetically (the analog "coffee gauge" with the brushed steel finish, along with the knobs, lever and colored lights seem somehow both 'retro' and modern at the same time) but more importantly, functionally (the coffee reservoir comes out for emptying, with no drips; the filter basket comes out easily; and the water fill gauge on the side is quite accurate).

I think my favorite thing about this machine is that it appeals both to me (for my gadget loving nature) but also to my wife (because it looks tidy on the counter, with no carafe.) With a conventional coffeemaker it seems like if the carafe is half full or anything less than sparkling it looks like dirty clutter.

The only thing I don't understand is the gold filter. What is the appeal of these things? If one can afford a Cuisinart coffemaker than one can afford paper filters. My feeling is that a filter such as this only serves to make discarding grounds a little easier; it can't replace a paper filter. Not only does it allow the beans' oil (if you use one, look for the oil slick on your coffee! ewwww!) which would normally be held by the paper to get into the coffee, it also lets quite a bit of sediment through. I use the gold filter, with a paper one sandwiched beneath, between it and the filter basket. I am always glad I do when I see the amount of sediment it catches. Using the gold basket in tandem, though, at least eliminates the task of handling a wet filter which is full of grounds.

Overall a great product, and well worth the price. The three year warranty is pretty impressive too.

***UPDATE 2/23/07***Still works great...None of the mechanical problems others have mentioned.

Still no issue with spilling water-- at least, not often!

***UPDATE 9/14/11***Still working...

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and True, March 25, 2006
I went through several brands and types of coffemakers over the years. One after another they all ended up in the trash or sitting on a thrift shop shelf. I was tired of the hassle of breakable decanters, coffee spills all over the counter and that burny taste, ruining my morning coffee time. I finally decided to try the Cuisinart DCC-2000, half-heartedly willing to cough up the cash. But I'm here to tell you that this baby is worth every penny. It is a smart machine. That is, smart as in easy, and smart as in well designed. No more coffee mess, and cup after cup the coffee tastes smooth and fresh. It's simple to maintain. The coffee reservoir comes right out. Just rinse it, let it dry and replace. If you like to store your excess coffee for iced coffee later on, this may not be the machine for you. Only a large sized coffee mug fits under the coffee dispersal feature. I love the coffee gauge on the front, letting me know how much is left. There is also a feature for extra hot coffee (1-4 cups feature), but even if you decide to not use it, the coffee will stay hot and fresh for hours. I also like the box-like design. It fits nicely on kitchen countertops and under cabinets. I used this coffeemaker for about a month before wtiting this review. I wanted to be sure it was worth the positive feedback. It's a bit pricey, but hold out for Amazon rewards coupons if you want to save a little cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee faucet, October 8, 2005
Jason Steiner (Glendale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
Imagine getting up in the morning, stumbling to the kitchen, and filling your cup with hot, fresh coffee straight from the faucet. This coffee maker turns coffee into a utility, almost as convenient as running water. The timer starts it up automatically and shuts it off automatically, and you can start drinking coffee as soon as the 'Coffee Gauge' rises over the 'E'.

Although it works basically like any other drip coffee maker, the design eliminates most of the things that usually get damaged. There's no pot to break, scorch, spill, or drip, and no pause-and-serve to stick and overflow, making a mess and shorting out the electrics. The gold filter, filter holder, and coffee reservoir all have bucket handles for easy removal and cleaning, and all fit into each other without hinges or latches to break or wear. (Can you tell I've broken a few coffee makers?)

The DCC-2000 is rather large. It will fit under cupboards, but you will need to pull it out or find an open section of counter to lift the lid and remove the reservoir and filter holder.

Edited: I was just flipping back through my old reviews, and thought I should mention that three years later, it's still going strong, still just as convenient as ever.

Edited: 4 and a half years, and it's finally dead. Failed in the same way others have since mentioned. Oh well, it was a good run. About $2/month for a lot of good coffee. Can't complain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, a little awkward to fill, December 22, 2006
I am enjoying the coffee from this Cuisinart a little too much. The quality is excellent and it stays fresh longer than any carafe would allow. The DCC-2000 has a very professional look and very useful features like a gauge to keep a eye on the coffee level. My only complaint is the hight of the unit. Since the water tank is not removable, you have to fill a container and raise it quite high to fill the reservoir. This could be a problem for some.

Overall, this is a well made and attractive coffee maker and the coffee it produces is perfect.