Cuisinart DCC-2900 Perfec Temp 12-Cup Thermal Programmable Coffeemaker
Color Name: BlackChange
Price:$119.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 5, 2012
Color Name: Black
I was skeptical, but I like my coffee hot, so I decided to give the DCC2900 a try. It won me over the first time I used it. It makes terrific coffee, but what I really love about it is that it makes really hot coffee and keeps the coffee really hot and fresh for hours. My husband gets up 3-4 hours earlier than I do. He sets the coffee maker to brew when he wakes up. It is still really hot and tastes great when I get up. Also, it could not be easier to program. I have had Krups thermal carafe coffee makers for the past 15 years, but this Cuisinart out-performs the Krups on every scale, especially keeping the coffee hot. I like that it is short enough to sit on my counter under my upper cabinets. The only drawback is that the squat carafe is shaped in such a way that you have to turn the pot over to pour the last two cups. I assume it was designed that way to keep the coffee hot and to keep the unit short enough to park in an appliance "garage." I got used to the shape of the carafe and don't consider it a big deal.
on August 17, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
We have had this unit for a few days now, This was a replacement for an older Cuisinart Thermal Carafe Coffeemaker. While the display and functions are greatly improved, The process of putting in water is incredibly more difficult. There used to be a water level gauge inside the water compartment for you to see the level as you pour, now you have to stop pouring and look at a water gauge window on the back outside corner of the unit. The Carafe has a longer spout which projects the water when pouring out a bit further making it very difficult to pour in the small openings of the water compartment. ( you invariably hit a bridge that supports the coffee filter which divides the water compartment into 2 small halves, splashing water all over the place). Getting the last bit of water out of the thermal carafe is again extremely difficult you need to tilt it way past the vertical , the lid to the water compartment only opens 90 degree and you can't do this without making a mess pouring the last couple of ozs out.

The low down, pretty much you are wiping up a good deal of water in the coffee prep phase
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I was drawn in by the promise of really hot coffee. The temperature is about the same as my last Cuisinart (the DTC-975DKN) - OK, not stellar.
I am extremely disappointed with the terrible engineering of the carafe. Did no one at Cuisinart actually test this thing and notice how difficult it is to get the last 1/2 cup of coffee out of the carafe? The top is flat which does not allow the coffee to freely flow to the spout. It also does not seem to keep the coffee as hot as our previous carafe.
The coffee grounds are loaded into the top of the machine. I prefer a swing out basket as it is too easy, with top loaders, to drop grounds into the water tank and clog the machine.
The water level indicator is difficult to read because it is located at the right rear of the machine.

Disappointing purchase. This will be returned.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
After one week of use, I report good news.

I measured the temperature of the water as it was coming down the coffee basket and I was able to get a 195 degree reading. Recommended temperature: 195-205.

The dials are much improvement over the previous model I owned (Cuisinart DTC-975BKN). Also, the dials are on top which reduces the chance of any spillage getting into them. It is very easy to program.

The carafe has also seen improvement over the previous model. The lid is foolproof and fits on tight. The opening is bigger than previous model and makes it much easier to wash with a brush.

All in all, I give this machine a five star.

Update: 6/11/2012
After one month of use I decided to give this coffee machine a 1 star due to the seriousness of the defects involved.
Reason:
(1) I discovered a puddle of coffee under the machine this morning.
(2) The carafe sprinkles some of the coffee away from the mug which lands on the counter, a defect in the pouring mechanism.
(3) After I brewed a pot this morning using the bold setting, the exterior of the pot was so hot which is not supposed to happen in thermal carafes. Even the bottom plate was hot. I can't explain how that happened.
(4) Pouring water in the reservoir is a challenge.
(5) Opening the top access lid is tricky. Basically you have to push the carafe up while pressing on the top latch.

June 21, 2012
I have just discovered something weird about this coffee maker: It has a hot plate that stays on during the duration of the brewing process. The reason for that is to get the chill out of the thermal carafe. My comment is: thermal carafes don't need to be heated from the outside. Doing so indicates that the carafe is not insulated well. And if it is insulated well, heat can't possibly go inward. So the engineer who came up with this idea is obviously on crack.

January 8, 2014
I still have this coffee machine and it still works. I am raising my stars to 3 instead one star.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2012
Color Name: Black
I've had this coffee maker for a week now and I thought I would put my review of what I think of it.
First up the pluses, which has already been spoken about and that is the large and bright LED display of the unit.
Its quite easy to use and its so large, one can use it in your kitchen as a clock by itself.
The buttons on the panel are also large which makes it easier to use.
I would have to agree with some other reviewers that the area for poring into the water reservoir is a bit small
and at times you might just spill a little in the process. Too bad it doesn't have a reservoir that you can remove and just fill outside of the unit like my last coffee maker previous to this one had that feature.

Another thing to mention is the rather small and barely readable water level numbers used on this unit. They should have made them white and bolder so when your poring in water it would be easier to see. As for the carafe I found the lid hard to put on and take off for its made out of smooth hard plastic and the outside ridges are small making it difficult to grab. The temperature of the coffee is just right upon being brewed but the warming plate shuts itself off too soon so that after 20 minutes or so the coffee becomes too cool. I guess Cuisinart thought that since the carafe is the thermo stainless steel type, that the coffee will stay hot by itself, it doesn't, well not for very long at least.

The coffee this machines produces is pretty good, I'm using the filter basket that came with the unit, with some relatively strong coffee from Starbucks. I think the biggest flaw with this machines is having the warming plate shut off too quickly and not being able to control the temperature of the plate itself as you were able to on some older Cuisinart machines.

My suggestion would be to try the DCC 2800 model, for its has control over how long you want the warming plate to stay on, the carafe is the glass type which might also help in measuring the amount of water into the carafe for filling the water reservoir and its $20 cheaper. I think I might return this unit for the DCC-2800, just to see if I can get the coffee to stay hotter longer.

Update on Nov.11/2012 ....

Just some added information, the model below this one, the 2800 series does have control over the length of time
on the heating plate, no temperature control but time only. The 2800 has a glass carafe but the lid is also hard to remove as well, there's little to grab on to. All the other features of the 2900 are on the 2800.
I decided to keep the 2900 for I thought it serves my purpose for myself, if you were use one of these machines in an office environment, the 2800 might serve you better for you can keep the warming plate on for 1 to 4 hours, letting people grab a cup at random.

All said and done these new Cuisinarts are pretty capable machines, they may have their little weaknesses as I pointed out but otherwise the improvements over their older models are appreciatively noticeable.

If Cuisinart fixes a couple of things, such as making the numbering on the visible water reservoir bolder and make
the lids to their carafes easier to remove, that would make them even better for the consumer.
Color Name: Black
My last Cuisinart was mostly metal and lasted for several years. This one is all plastic, and cheap plastic at that. First one lasted a month until a hinge broke. It was replaced. The replacement lasted a couple of months until the lid latch broke. For $100+, they ought to be sturdier than that. Makes excellent coffee but only until it breaks, and you won't wait long for that to happen.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
THE CARAFE IS MADE OF DOUBLE WALLED STAINLESS. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE TOP IS SOME TYPE OF PLASTIC THAT IS FITTED TO THE S/S WITH A RUBBER SEAL BETWEEN THE TWO PIECES. TO GET THE LAST CUP OF COFFEE OUT OF THIS POT YOU MUST TURN IT ALMOST UPSIDE DOWN. THE RUBBER SEAL IS NOT WATERTIGHT AND THE COFFEE GETS IN THE POT BETWEEN THE DOUBLE WALLS. YOU CAN'T GET INSIDE TO CLEAN IT AND OVER TIME IT COULD BECOME A REAL CESSPOOL, AND THEN THIS MESS COULD LEAK OUT WHEN YOU GETTING YOUR LAST CUP OF COFFEE!
on July 18, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I read the reviews on the tricky lid. The only trick is that the lid has to be screwed on correctly. There was not a huge problem with that. It works well and keeps coffee hot. There is no burnt aftertaste to the coffee.
on July 5, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This makes a good cup of coffee, but the carafe is awkward to pour.
I found I need to fill the coffee maker using a measuring cup instead of the carafe.
It is hard to pour the first cup of coffee without spilling part of it.
on October 25, 2013
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This is a very good coffee maker with some pronounced design flaws and other drawbacks. Other reviewers have already commented on some of these, so I will be brief.

Among the "pros", the pot makes good coffee and has a wide mouth, which permits use of a stiff and substantial "bottle brush" which I use frequently with a little hot water and some dishwasher powdered detergent. It's easy to do, and afterwards, the pot (or any pot) produces wonderful coffee with no bitterness or off taste, which usually results from the essential oils of the coffee bean which cling to the inside of the pot.

I have had other thermal carafes which keep the heat in a bit better, so if this is a critical feature for you, you might want to look elsewhere.

The rim of the pot is too large, with the result, as others have noted, that one has to turn the pot entirely over to pour the last few ounces of coffee. It is an unfortunate and curious design, but really, it's not much of a problem. When the contents are low, I remove the lid entirely, which helps.

I agree that the container where one has to pour the water is small and oddly placed, and makes filling the coffee maker more difficult than it should be. Pouring water from the carafe itself would be almost impossible. On the other hand, I pour the water from an empty jar that I keep expressly for this purpose, with markings on the side for the different size batches of coffee that I make, and once one gets used to this procedure, the position of the water container becomes less of a problem. Although notable, I would not decline to purchase this unit just because of this design flaw.

I had to return this item once after having used it for several months, because the lid self-destructed. I have found the cause of this, and it is another design defect: the lid to the coffee maker has a release button in its center and when one pushes this, the lid opens with a spring action. When you close the lid, you are pushing against this spring. The purpose of this is to seat the coffee cone containing the filter and the coffee, since it in turn has a spring at the bottom which stops the flow of coffee if you remove the pot while the device is still perking. However, I have discovered that if the filter cone gets rotated even one or two degrees (which happens on its own rather frequently), it does not seat properly, and ends up positioned higher than it should be. Then, when you close the lid, you are stressing the lid because the cone is pushing up against it, and you are "forcing" it closed. You can feel that this is happening, but if you don't know the cause, you don't know what to do about it. Eventually, the lid will come apart because of this extra force.

So if you buy this unit (which is actually a pretty good coffee maker and comes with a good warranty), make certain that you properly seat the coffee filter cone before closing the lid, and you will avoid the problems I initially encountered.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations