1,315 of 1,380 people found the following review helpful
on December 11, 2011
Let me firs say, I used to work for Starbucks and was a Coffee Master. I am a bit of purist so I grade a machine a bit harder than the average joe.

What I love:
Cuisinart is one of the few companies that makes a coffee maker that brews at 190 degrees. (This is important because the flavor from your beans doesn't fully extract if the water isn't hot enough. This is usually one of the differences between a cheap coffee maker and a more expensive one. Cheap makers will heat the coffee hot with the hot plate, but it did not "brew" the coffee at the temperature it eventually gets to.)

It doesn't leak and the light when you fill a mug is a nice feature. All the parts come out for easy filling, rinsing, etc. YOu won't be able to put this under a cabinet though because the top still has a lid that would be blocked.

No leaks if the inside over flows or spills either! Any internal overflow drains into the drip tray which is a very nice feature.

The spray head is one of the best I've seen. It fully covers all the coffee grounds. It also brews a whole pot in about 7 minutes without flavor loss. (Machines that brew too fast usually don't get all the flavor out of coffee. Bunn for instance, brews a pot in just 3 minutes and at the right temperature, but the water is forced through too fast and doesn't have enough contact time with the coffee. Coffee is a bit like tea in that it does need to steep a bit, just not nearly as long unless using a French Press, the best method of brewing but the most inconvenient.)

It comes with a permanent flat filter, which saves you from buying one or paper ones. However, and this is a picky issue, cone shaped is much better. The coffee and water contant better with cone and make a better cup. Cuisinart generally uses only cone shaped for that reason, but the design of the machine doesn't allow for that unless they'd make it taller, and it's already almost too tall.

The design is a nice addition to your kitchen counter, and it looks better in person than it does in the picture.

What I don't like:
I was led to believe when the redid this model that the chamber inside was thermal and used "soft heat" to keep the coffee hot for up to four hours. (Soft heat isn't hot plate hot, but keeps just enough each to help a thermal unit stay hot far longer without scorching) This is NOT at all the case. The inside is just a plastic tub with a big hot plate in it. So if you are like me and you hate "baked" coffee that's been on the heating element too long, you won't be happy with the taste of the coffee after the first hour or so. (I'm one of those people who despises mircowaving coffee because it breaks the coffee down and turns it into awful, syrupy sludge... this is also why I generally go with thermal carafes.)

The Coffee Gage is useless. Because there is no carafe, that gage that looks like a gas gage is really needed. With a carafe, you can either see or feel by weight when it's low. I have exchanged this model twice because it doesn't work, and it's going back a third time (and probably for good.)

If you have a household that can tear through a pot of coffee quickly, then this would probably be a great machine for you. With no disrespect to the Folger's drinkers of the world, this machine would probably also be a good fit for you. If you are someone who spends the extra money on better gourmet coffees, this machine will not be your friend. Your first cup or two will be fabulous, but it's will be burnt and gross soon after from the heating plate inside. After this time, you can't tell if you brewed a nice Citusry African, an earthy Indonesian, or cheap Chock Ful O Nuts. It's just burnt sludge.

Maybe next time they update this model, they will spend a little extra effort on the coffee tank inside that replaces the carafe. It's plastic, and the heating element will give a plastic taste over time too. You also have to be careful when taking out the tank because it will burn you if you don't use the cheap plastic handle to lift it out.
Had they made a thermal tank inside with soft heat, I would be giving this 4 stars (it needs a gage that actually works to get 5.) The old model had a cut out in the front to physically show you the coffee level, and something like that would have been better, especially since the coffee isn't enclosed in a thermal housing.

I do recommend Cuisinarts machines with the thermal carafes. They do a great job of holding heat, especially if rinse them with hot water before brewing.

Someday, someone will make the ultimate carafe-less machine... but today is not that day.
4444 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2012
First of all I am not going to state that I am a "Coffee Master".

I will however say that I have strong preferences when it comes to my morning coffee. It always kills me when people try and talk about being professional Baristas and how they are like Chef's that work with a very specific product. Give me a break! I take offense to this simply because I am a Chef and there is A LOT more to being a Chef than there is to brewing a pot of coffee.

This is a HOME coffee maker, period, point blank! If you truly consider yourself passionate about coffee and making the "Perfect Cup" than I would think a person would want to invest a bit more into his/ her "craft" than a $100 machine that does everything for you! If you truly are that serious about coffee than why even buy an Automatic Home Brewer?

Now that I have had my Rant, onto the Cuisinart DCC-3000:

PROS:

1) It has no carafe!
- This was by far and away the best selling point for me, the biggest reason why I have had to replace my coffee makers over the years is because the glass carafe's always chipped or just plain shattered. I also dislike the thermal carafe's because you cannot visually see how much coffee is left and I despise the taste of stainless steel. I can always taste metal in my coffee so the thermal carafe's don't work for me.

2) Automatic ON
- I can set it up the night before and wake up to my coffee already made, enough said.

3) Automatic Shut Off
- You can set it to turn itself off anywhere from 1 minute up to 4 hours.

4) Easy to clean
- You can take both reservoir's out and wash them in the dishwasher. I personally clean my coffee makers every week and consider it a necessary task, some people have complained about having to do this which is absurd. It's just like any other tool in your kitchen, it needs to be kept clean in order to work properly and function at it's highest level. People who don't understand this also drive me crazy. It would be like me not washing my cooking pans and then blaming the pan for my food tasting bad!

5) The Coffee is Hot and Tastes Like Coffee!
-This unit does what it is intended to do, it makes hot coffee and keeps it hot.

CONS:

1) The Gauge kind of works
- It's like a fuel tank, once it get's past halfway then you have less coffee than you think. I have gotten used to it over time and I would rather have it than not have it.

2) The last cups pour slowly
- Not a big deal but you have to stand there till the last couple of drops trickle out.

Final Thoughts:

This is a Home Coffee Maker people, it brews a good pot of coffee, keeps it hot, and has no carafe to chip or break. Some people might find the $100 price tag a little too much but I think you get what you pay for. There are much cheaper and much more expensive makers out there on the market but I think the Cuisinart DCC-3000 justifies the price tag. I have used Cuisinart products for years and have always had good faith that they will stand up to everyday use.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2011
Only had Cuisinart's DCC-3000 for 4 days so really need more time for an evaluation. I've owned a few Hamilton Beach Brewstation carafeless models recently and I really like them. The Hamilton Beach units make great coffee but always develop leaking issues sooner or later. If you get to 2 years without a leaking issue you should feel fortunate.

First, the DCC-3000 by Cuisinart is an entirely different level of machine. It's very sturdy, well made and my unit purchased does not look like the picture in Amazon's advertisement. It looks better. The power cord is VERY short, maybe 14-16". Unless you use an extension cord you must locate it directly in front of a power outlet or in an area where it is not beneath an overhead kitchen cabinet. If under a cabinet, the cord just barely allows room to pull out from cabinet, lift the lid on top, and remove the coffee tank for cleaning, without unplugging the unit.

The coffee dispenser turns on a soft LED light above you coffee cup and smartly allows you to view the rising coffee level in the cup.....very nice feature. After 4 days of making my AM coffee, I'm now using the right amount of coffee and water to suit my tastes (strong). I prefer my coffee very hot and most coffee makers don't quite get hot enough for me. The Ham Beach Brewstations excel at hot coffee. The DCC-3000 falls short, almost gets there but I must nuke/microwave each cup for 30-35 seconds to bring to temp. This machine is quiet, brews relatively quickly, but I think a bit slower than a Brewstation.

Bottomline, so far I think this is a great unit, much more substantial, and higher quality than the H/B Brewstation. At current prices, it will cost you $5-20 more than the best Brewmaster (a 47454 Deluxe), but the DCC-3000 has a 3-year warranty rather than 1-year. This unit is classier looking and you'll easily notice the lack of flimsy plastics found in a guaranteed to leak Brewstation. You can use paper filters or the gold-mesh basket that comes with it. Also a charcoal filter with DCC-3000 though I'm unsure if it really makes a difference. With the additional warranty, pricing in the $90's, and higher quality unit I think this is a no-brainer.....buy the Cuisinart DCC-3000.

****One-month update*****
I still like this unit, however, the number one reason to buy a any coffee maker is to make great coffee. As another reviewer said, the coffee is weak/watery. I tried adding more coffee which does modestly help but obviously drives up the cost of making a pot. I use Starbucks coffee......not cheap. I believe the water flows thru the basket/filter too fast....it isn't held in basket long enough to flavor the brew. I'm going to try 2 things......using 2 paper filters instead of one (or use a paper filter with the gold basket?) to slow down water passing thru basket(and hope it doesn't overflow). If that doesn't work I plan to grind my coffee finer, almost as fine as an expresso grind. Hope I don't end up with mess.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2012
So, my review is to the many people that didn't read the manual and see that if you are only making a few cups of coffee
there is a 1-4 cups select button so the coffee is stronger because with a small amount of water running through it there
is an extra demand on the maker
I just made the best cup of coffee I've had in 3 years with my new cuisinart coffee on demand. First I ran 12 cups of water
through the machine after soaking my filter for 20 minutes. Set the machine to 1-4 cups and pressed on. I did , because of past experience but an xtra bit of water in the machine to account for coffee filter basket saturation.
The result was a really piping hot cup of rich coffee that allowed me to add a bit of non dairy creamer in it and not reduce
the temperature. They include a manual so people will read it, please don't comment on a machine that works properly until you
don't use it according to design.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2012
I bought this exact model about a year ago from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It stopped working after 2 weeks. The store took it back and gave me a new one. On this second unit, the timer stopped working about a month ago, but I could still turn it on manually and make coffee every morning. Last week, it quit working totally, so its 2 that I have had in a year. Now need to find another one. I will not buy the same one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2012
We've had this coffee maker only four months before the pour switch broke. It still brews coffee, but now it lets it run out all over the counter and floor. For what we spent on this machine, it should have lasted longer ... Need to add a poscript: After writing this review, I called Cuisinart and explained the problem. Even though I did not buy my machine directly from them, nor register it when I made the purchase, they offered a free exchange. They are sending a new machine, and I only cover the $10 shipping fee. Good deal.
on July 24, 2012
I got this maker to replace a Hamilton Beach 47454 that started its famous `dump the coffee on the counter top' after a year's use. I was very happy with the quality of this maker from the moment I unpacked it. It's well built and heavy, with attention paid to the consumers convenience of use. Oh, it has it's little quirks like the brew complete alarm being too quiet to hear and needing more coffee than the HB for the same brew strength, but I was quite satisfied with the maker. Being only a few dollars more than the HB, there's no comparing the 2 makers - HB is cheap junk, this maker is quality. Then the unthinkable. On day 5 of use, I happened to be standing near it after starting a brew. As the brew hit the reservoir, it was running out of the dispense spout, into the cup rest. I tapped the dispense lever a couple of times and it quit leaking. The next brew had no leakage problem, so I thought I did something to cause the prior event. Then, the next brew, I wasn't there to watch it, and the result was 6 cups from the 12 cup brew on top of the counter and all over the floor. I know I didn't over fill it, and I know the reservoir was empty when I started. I'm 99.9% sure it was again, from the dispense spout, because it was still dripping and the cup rest was full of coffee. I don't know if I got a lemon, or if a year or two from now, it will become as leaky as the HB with some design flaw. I'm glad I got it from Amazon though, no problems with returning it. Thank you Amazon! So, back to searching for the ultimate reservoir coffee maker that will last more than a year or two.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We just purchased this machine. Looks great and it brews 12 cups in about 12 minutes. It comes with a charcoal filter for the water but you might as well throw that away. There is no seal to the intake of the machine so unless the water gets filtered by looking at the filter while it runs underneath you can save your money on replacement filters. The charcoal filter should not be advertised as a feature.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2013
This is a terrible product. We purchased on June 7, 2013. The unit now leaks constantly (with just over 3 months use). Even though the unit is under warranty with Cuisinart, we are responsible for paying the shipping to return it to Cuisinart and for Cuisinart returning it to us - so where is the warranty in that?
VINE VOICEon July 27, 2012
**CONCLUSION: While I love the concept of this unit, I can't believe the amount of problems over a mere 1+ year period. While Cuisinart customer service means well, this is simply not a well made appliance. At best, I have a little over 1 year's worth of use before the system imploded. **

** UPDATE - AUG 2014 **
After its umpteenth leak from three different locations...dozens of cleaning attempts/solutions...kitchen messes galore...I give up. Tossed in favor of a Bunn A10.

** UPDATE - JUL 2014 **
Now the replacement is leaking. Sorry, Cuisinart; this is terrible quality control.

** UPDATE - FEB 2014 **
First, coffee starting leaking upon pouring; the unit would not disengage. After finagling the switch up/down, it thankfully stopped.

Water reservoir was up to its no good tricks once again. Decalcification did not work. From observations, the spring (water release) at the bottom of the reservoir was no longer properly sealing/opening. Cuisinart sent a replacement, which seems to have done the trick. For now.

**UPDATE - SEP 2012: I ran into some leaking, coffee inconsistency as described by other reviewers. In response, I pressed the spring/seals up/down on the water and coffee reservoir + ensured proper seating, also a clean movement of the dispenser within the main coffee reservoir area. Upon examination, it looked like the spring/gasket in the coffee reservoir might have shifted slightly, perhaps the culprit...? Would not be a surprise if this occurred in a dishwashing run.

I called Cuisinart in tandem. Cuisinart was adamant x 100 in these problems stemming directly from calcification in the water reservoir gasket seal, recommended a 50/50 water/vinegar cleaning solution method (letting it sit in the water reservoir for 30 min unplugged). They advised running through that batch...then 2 or more until all the solution was gone. Also offered to solve any/all problems this didn't address (calling them back). I used the Urnex powder solution available on Amazon to accomplish the Cuisinart steps. All seems fixed.

In short - if you're running into leaks and related, don't wait for the clean light to come out. The first time I saw it flash was ironically through a cleaning cycle (from some soap buildup). **

**LEGACY CONTENT**
Referencing constructive critics of this coffee maker - and as a needed disclaimer - I love my coffee, but don't expect barista grade drip from a $100 machine. Thus, my expectations were for a reliable, programmable, even temperature, consistent drip, and easy to clean coffee maker. The DCC-3000 meets and exceeded all these requirements.

ISSUES RAISED IN PREVIOUS REVIEWS:
I'm wondering if Cuisinart quietly upgraded this unit from its earliest reviews, notably the coffee gauge that I've had little to no problems with. I did find, however, that the reservoir seating is critical to the gauge level. Meaning, a non-perfect fit will declare it always full/empty. Try re-seating the main reservoir if the gauge is acting ornery. Still, it's best to consider the gauge a guide versus accurate assessment of cups left.

On a related note, be very careful to ensure the water (FIRM placement) and coffee reservoirs, likewise the basket area are placed properly. The spilling others noted did cross my path, and appeared linked to the brew basket area slightly off. Note that the basket indicates placement within the reservoir via a textual marker (top right).

Again - and per above - I didn't expect greatness, but did not find the coffee burnt in any way. The temperature remained steady and drinkable...better than a beloved, previous Cuisinart I owned.

Finally, most of the DCC-3000 can be cleaned in a dishwasher. There's no need for baking soda or other methods. The manual specifies what elements can/'t be cleaned. As an educational point: the filter itself can also be washed in the dishwasher. A thorough cleaning of this is sorely needed every now and then (a quick whiff will give that away!).

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:
These issues addressed, I simply love the absence of a carafe, the convenience of single cup dispensing. No more worries about drips mid-brew (to grab a quick cup), and I dig the light guide for where the DCC-3000 is dispensing. Also, dispensing area is quite high, meaning you'd be hard pressed to find a mug incapable of fitting underneath the dispenser.

Build quality of the DCC-3000 is very good, and disassembles easily for cleanup. The only irritant is the too small filter casing within the water reservoir. It seems a glutton for punishment in being such a tight fit.