4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy little gizmo that gets the job done!
Just fill the bowl with beans, press the button and with a lot of noise, this coffee grinder whizzes into action! Nothing's nicer than fresh ground coffee and this Cuisinart lives up tho the "Cuisinart" name.
Published on January 20, 2001 by Octavia

1.0 out of 5 stars FAILED IN TWO MONTHS
After two months of use, about twice a week, it stopped working. The warrantee is useless. It would cost about as much to ship it there and back as to replace it. Also, Cuisinart customer service is about as useful as the cable company's customer service.
Published on March 15, 2002 by Robert

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy little gizmo that gets the job done!, January 20, 2001
Octavia (United States) - See all my reviews
Areas which I think need improvement are insulation of some sort, if loud, grinding noise for a few minutes bothers you. Also, this unit is not immersible, and you must clean it with a wet cloth rather than being able to dunk the unit in warm, soapy water. For this reason, I do not recommend using this for coffee and for spices, unless you are intentionally blending for flavor.
This grinds quite well, however the bowl isn't large and for large pots of coffee, I've found that I must grind the coffee in two loads.
You cannot see the consistency of your grind accurately, so you must open the unit and peek. It grinds so well and so quickly that it is easy to over-grind your beans.
All in all, it's a handy little gadget that grinds well and quickly. Its blades and motor have withstood regular usage. With little practice, you're able to grind uniformly. With routine use, I'm able to discern when the coffee is ground to my preferences by listening to the sound of the beans within the unit while grinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT, February 15, 2002
Christy Campbell (New Orleans, Louisiana USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisinart DCG-20BK Coffee Bar Coffee Grinder, Black (Kitchen)
Let me say I abuse my coffee grinders. The ones I have had in the past have died young because I have dropped them in a dopey morning pre-coffee daze. I have dropped the Cuisinart numerous times and it is warped on one side from me leaving it on the gas stove with the oven on...IT STILL WORKS..just as well as the day it arrived. Best purchase I have made yet and I would buy another but I don't need to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, rugged design, July 26, 2002
Jane Avriette (Arlington, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This grinder lives in my kitchen right next to my sink. It is subjected to a continual flow of crud coming out of the sink and floods from coffee spills, and sink overflows, flying dough and vegetables, the works. It is extremely sturdy, and does tend to grind my coffee just as I like.
My only complaint is that it is a little hard to clean; but then I've never had a coffee grinder that was easy to clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars FAILED IN TWO MONTHS, March 15, 2002
Robert (Oconomowoc, WI USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars works well for herbs and spices, February 13, 2002
By A Customer
I've never used it for coffee (I don't drink the stuff), but this little gem does a super job grinding spices and dried herbs. I use it even for grinding chunk cinnamon.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRIND IT BABY!, November 15, 2001
Vito Giurlanda (Stony Brook, New York United States) - See all my reviews
A powerful little sucker! I grind coffee beans, mimosa hostilis, syrian rue seeds, and oatmeal with this bad boy. It kick's serious but!
I clean it by using a damp paper towel and wipe out the inside chamber.
I accidentally dropped the lid and made a crack on it. But, it's holding up fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best small sized grinder, June 15, 2001
Christy Campbell (New Orleans, Louisiana USA) - See all my reviews
Best small sized grinder I have owned yet (and I have owned quite a few). High power, quick grind, great for size, excellent for the price. Quick shipment! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, safe and a good value, July 22, 2001
By A Customer
I purchased the cuisinart coffee grinder to grind coffee beans, flax seed, crackers and other dry materials. This grinder is so simple. You put the material in, put the lid on and press down. The lid must be on to operate so it is also very safe. It's quiet operation is also a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for whole spices and flaxseed, good for coffee beans, May 22, 2006
I used one of these for years to grind coffee before I switched to a burr grinder, which allows more control over the coarseness of the grind. For coffee, I recommend a burr grinder but this one will get the job done, and at less than half the cost.

I use this grinder to grind whole spices (cloves, cumin seed, cinnamon sticks, mustard seed and flaxseed). This little grinder rips through those hard spices in 10 to 15 seconds. I was very pleased that it chewed up the flaxseed. It saved me spending $50 for a flax specific grinder.

Overall, I highly recommend this product for grinding spices and seeds (5 stars). I give this machine 4 stars for coffee, only because I like to be able to control the size of my grinds for multiple brewing options (French press versus drip).

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not a Hater, October 11, 2012
Michael T Psomas (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a basic coffee grinder for the non-enthusiast. It grinds the coffee; but like others in this class, the beans are not ground consistently. You end up with some fine ground and some course ground in the same batch. One cause for this is that the grinding cup is proportionally too deep as compared to the blade. So the beans don't circulate adequately to even-out the grind.

Secondly, the claim of being large enough for 12 cups is simply false. I can only grind enough beans for 2 cups. Of course I use a French press, so I use more beans. But seriously, this only holds 5 scoops of beans. If you're making 12 cups of coffee with 5 scoops, that's some mighty watery coffee. Or maybe you're making demitasse cups. But even with 2-3 oz. cups, I don't think this has the capacity for 12. And let's face it, if we're buying a coffee grinder we probably like coffee and drink the standard size cup.

Regarding the design, it's not round, but rather has a bulge on the right side which makes it awkward to hold. It's almost like it was designed for left handed people.

I'm not a hater. It's functional, and I use it. But it has drawbacks that will make me look for a higher quality grinder next time through.

Cuisinart DCG-20BK Coffee Bar Coffee Grinder, Black