5.0 out of 5 stars Every Kitchen Needs a Cuisinart
Every kitchen needs a Cuisinart, and after the work bowl of my former much loved 14-cup Cuisinart Food Processor of 20+ years finally gave out, I opted to purchase the new Cuisinart 14-cup brushed chrome model DFP-14BC.
Published on July 3, 2002

1,542 of 1,651 people found the following review helpful
Published on October 14, 2009 by Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Kitchen Needs a Cuisinart, July 3, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
First the aesthetics, this model compliments all my other stainless steel appliances, including my double oven, toaster and microwave, etc. It looks very sleek compared to my former white model. In other words, I'm very pleased with the way it looks.
I use my food processor quite often and shopped around before deciding to choose this particular model. I picked this square-shaped model, similar to my older replaced DLC-7 model, with the two rectangular buttons that `click'. Since my former Cuisinart of like design served me well 20+ years, this design appeared more durable and was less expensive than another Cuisinart rounded model with oval buttons that looked less heavy-duty.
Other than a few modifications to the food pusher assembly, this new DFP-14BC model is virtually identical to my older processor, and just as easy to use. Even better is the fact that my older DLC-7 discs (with detachable stems) also fit this new processor. So far, I've used the metal blade, which worked like a dream, and the shredding and slicing discs that again work with ease and provide excellent results. Additionally, the motor on this new processor is more powerful than my original model and I can't wait to try it on making bread or pizza dough.
For first time food processor users, a demonstration video accompanies this machine and walks you through everything you'll need to know. You'll never make a pie crust again without it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and attractive, September 2, 2004
Mama Bear (Tennessee, United States) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews listed here before I purchased my Cuisinart 14-cup food processor from Amazon. Since I have received my processor, I can say that I have had similar experiences as many others have. Yes, it is aggravating that you have to leave the pusher assembly in place while running, having to remove it to add extra ingredients. Yes, it is very aggravating to wash those shredder discs, especially after shredding mozzerella cheese. It took me almost ten minutes to dig all the little gummed-up pieces of cheese out of the nooks and crannies. But it is powerful. Nothing will bogg this thing down. It works like a breeze. I love the large bowl and the large feed shoot. I made my decision to purchase based on the size and the watts. Mine is also very quite, which suprised me. It looks beautiful and massive sitting on the counter. Yes, you will want to leave it out. It is very heavy. But from now on, I'm going to stick the blades in the dishwasher.

1,542 of 1,651 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars The food processor SHOW DOWN: A comparison of 14 cup stainless Cuisinart food processors, October 14, 2009
Update: Captain Katie says you should know it's hard to find the Limited Edition now. However, every so often Cuisinart introduces it again. In which case you can utilize this review to decide some things to compare on new food processors as they come out, or utilize it to decide if the other ones reviewed would be too your liking...or, sometimes when you check, you'll also find Cuisinart reintroduce the Limited Edition for a spell. At the time of my review it had been out ongoing for a few years but now it's easier to find the other models.

When I buy a new kitchen or household item with lots of competitors I do loads of comparison/contrasting and research first if it's over a hundred bucks...Knowing it was time for a new food processor, I began comparing models. However, I found it a tad difficult to do with all the different blades, codes, etc.

Therefore, once I had completed my own shopping and comparisons, I thought it might be helpful for anyone else in the same situation if I posted my own comparisons here.

I'll start by saying I decided to order the Cuisinart Limited Edition Metal 14 cup food processor on Amazon. I found it to be the best value for my own needs and it was cheaper here than anywhere else I looked as of the time of my review. I chose Cuisinart because it's known to be the best but what made me decide on the limited edition may not be what you would want...this way you can compare and decide.

I chose a 14 cup because I love soups and big batches of dough.

I only looked at stainless because I only have 2 electronics on my countertops....this will be one. And it best matches the appliances.

So...that said...here we go: (these are all by Cuisinart)

I compared The Custom 14 food processor DFP 14BCN.
I will call this "C from now on.

I compared it to the Limited Edition 14 cup MP-14N
I will call this "LE" from now on

I compared also the Elite Collection 14 cup FP 14DC
(I will call this "E" from now on)

and I compared the PowerPrep Plus 14 cup DLC-2014CHB
(I will call this "PP" from now on)

WARRANTY:

C: Two controls: On/off and pulse. No dough mode button
LE: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough
E: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough
PP: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough

MOTOR: (heavy doughs especially need the better motor if you use these)
C: regular motor, 720 watt
LE: most powerful: over ¾ horsepower commercial induction motor
E: regular 1000 watt motor

PP: all metal

SHREDDING BLADE:
C: stainless medium
LE: stainless medium
E: stainless reversible shredding disc (fine/medium)
PP: stainless medium

PP: 4mm

CHOPPING/MIXING:
C: large blade
LE: large
E:Large and small blades for various sized bowls it comes with
PP: large

How To DVD:
C:none
LE:included
E:included
PP: video included

All have extra large feeding tubes which replaced the small ones of food processors of yesteryear so you don't have to prechop veggies to get them in the feeding tubes. All come with spatulas to scrape them down. All have parts that are dishwasher safe.

Other:
C: has large and small pushers.
LE: also comes with attachable beater blades so you don't have to keep your mixer on the countertop or drag out two appliances for some mixing chores. Bowl is made so no food gets caught in grooves or corners. Cord can be wrapped underneath machine.
E: also comes with attachable 11 cup and 4.5 cup bowls with pour spouts and measurement markings for small chores. These nest inside the 14 cup bowl. Some have complained that the narrow base and wide top, which makes the nestling bowls fit in, don't allow as smooth of mixing and also that food gets caught in a rim making this bowl harder to clean after mixing things that get trapped like shredded cheese and fine nuts. This is the only one that comes with an accessory storage case with a lock...nice to keep blades away from kids. This is the only one that had a retractable cord.
PP:has large and small pushers

Conclusion:
What I wanted in my food processor may be different from you so I'll note a few things. For me, the Limited Edition was what I purchased because it was far higher priced everywhere else on the internet including the Cuisinart site itself so I thought it good value and its price on Amazon, it's warranty was the best and it had the most powerful motor of all of them so, since I use it often, this was a plus. Also because of its powerful motor it is best for doughs as was the solid metal dough blade. I have a huge kitchenaid mixer that I don't keep on the counter so having the beater blade attachment was great for quick mixing when I don't wish to drag it out of the pantry. Because most of my slicing is the 4mm and I never do any fine shredding, the adjustable blades weren't needed for me (and I can buy them later if I want them...all parts are interchangeable on the 14 cup Cuisinart food processors.) BUT if you are someone who wants a variety of bowl sizes and blades, then I'd say the Elite would be the best choice. It's also nice that that one comes with an accessory storage case. However, I find having to unstack the small bowls housed inside the large one and get food out that gets trapped in the seams with the Elite model were an annoyance I wished to avoid. I found the custom to be too simple with a lesser motor and poor warranty and no mode specifically for dough. And the powerprep is fine but more basic as well with a lesser warranty and motor for almost the same price as the uber food processor...(the limited edition). Might be ok for those who rarely use the machine who know they won't wear out the motor. Also, Cuisinart is really going "old school" on this model to include a VHS tape with it...rather than the DVD included in the newer models. Still it's got an induction motor which is still better than the Custom and the Elite...(but the Elite has more wattage to it's motor inspite of the fact it's not an induction motor.) Final thought is for the price, the parts, the mega motor, the commercial grade and the warranty of the Limited Edition along with its ease of cleaning and stremlined look... it just pulled out ahead of the game for me.

I'm very happy with my purchase...my old food processor was working fine but had the small chute and didn't offer near what this new one does and it looks impressive on the counter even though I'm very picky about anything out on the counter in my kitchen as my kitchen is open to the living room so I have to keep it neat. The metal is attractive, the motor is SO quiet for what it is, and the chopping power is tremendous...I did a couple batches of dough already too and it makes some FINE pizza in no time because of it!

Negatives: Some complain about the new food processors having safety mechanisms that won't allow the machine to start unless everything is aligned perfectly. For me this is not a negative because the newer machines with the commercial induction motors being loose would easily chop off your head. ' And that's a kitchen mess none of us want. They aren't your mama's old school food processors that whir at a low speed...these things do all but chop logs and they'd probably do that too. I want nothing loose when this baby starts!

p.s. If you buy shredded cheese, try shredding your own in the food processor...not only will you save lots of cash to help pay for the food processor, but shredded cheese is coated so it won't stick together. If you shred your own it actually tastes soooo much better and fresher, and it melts better. Same for meat. (except for the melting part!) But I'm a cheese lover above all else...

1.0 out of 5 stars Bogus Warranty! Caveat Emptor!! Never expected this!, October 3, 2007
Bought this food processor because of the famed quality and the three-year warranty that said it covered "food processor". Everything was going great until I noticed small cracks through the bottom metal chopping blade where it rivets to the plastic hub. All four rivets had the same cracks, three of them went all the way through. The blade was still being securely held with the one rivet, and partially because of the two other rivets. No problem, so I thought. Call to the customer service and was told that the warranty covered everything BUT the metal chopping blade!

"What? Where was that written?", I asked.

"Well it's not in the warranty that we give you. We changed our warranty." Came the reply. "The blade is not part of the food processor." Quickly came the other explination.

"Great," I thought to myself, "I should have bought the $79 Wal-mart special." Then I explained that 1) quite evident to me, and surely any reasonable person, that the expansion rivets holding the upper and lower blade to the plastic hub were too tight (large?) causing radial fracturing of the surrounding metal blade, of which this would be a defect in craftsmanship BEFORE IT LEFT THE FACTORY, not manifesting itself until the present time, 2) the warranty that I have in hand, hence, the warranty I based my decision on whether to buy this product does NOT disclaim any warranty on blades, but INCLUDES the blade by covering "the food processor." (perhaps they changed this on latter models and defined the food processor as not including a blade, which would make it a "vibrating table weight"?), and 3)you can't change a contractual relationship such as a warranty without some acceptance on my part of that change, not to mention the fact that Cuisinart offered me nothing in exchange for any such purported change.

A brief silence, a short wait on hold, and a response that his supervisor has just informed him that the blade is not covered under warranty but that cracking around the rivets is covered. I do not agree with the fact that they still maintain that the blade is not part of the food processor. So, BUYER BEWARE, Cuisinart will NOT HONOR their warranty as stated inside the box.

My advise is to buy the $79 WalMart special, and just replace it when it breaks. Not knowing whether Cuisinart is going to find the blade, the cord, the motor, the buttons, or the bowl as "part of the food processor" has me concerned that the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. Yes, they honored the warranty, that by law, they would have to do anyhow, but not before dickering with me over the matter. What a PITA!

3.0 out of 5 stars Power: 5 stars, but subtract 2 for annoyance factors, March 10, 2005
Puffin (Portland, OR, USA) - See all my reviews
In terms of power and capacity, the Cuisinart DFP-14BC cannot be beat. Once you can actually get it running (more about that later), there's nothing it can't chop, slice, puree or what have you. The 14 cup bowl is huge and unless you are cooking for an army, it should be able to hold all of anything you are making with no problem. It looks very impressive sitting on the counter, and it's such a bonus that you can stick all of the parts in the dishwasher for cleaning with no warping.

All of that being said, this has to be one of the most tempermental pieces of kitchen equipment I have ever owned. In trying to make it safe, the manufacturers have made it really, really annoying to use. First of all, in order to get it running at all, all the parts have to be lined up just so, and I'm not talking about the normal sort of "just so" you would expect with any sort of food processor or blender product. It's not simply a matter of turning the bowl or lid until you hear or feel a "click" and then pressing the "on" button. No, even if you've felt the "click", if you've got something even just 1 millimeter out of place it will not run. To make things even more fun, if you try to press the "on" button too many times in a row with things not lined up just so, the machine automatically shuts off for 5 minutes such that even if you do correct the alignment, you've now got to wait 5 minutes to start it up again. There are times it takes me 10 minutes or more of wrestling with the stupid thing to get it started. When you are pressed for time, this is maddening enough to make you want to chuck the whole thing out the window. Then, there's the matter of the food feeding tube for those occasions when you want to add things when the machine is running. This tube is very small. It's fine if you just need to add a stream of olive oil, but if you need to add chunks of vegetables or something, you need to stop the machine, remove the whole lid, place the items in the bowl, wrestle with the lid to make sure you have lined up just so again, and then restart the machine. Again, maddening when you are trying to get a quick week-night meal on the table in a reasonable amount of time. You know a machine is a pain in the patoot when you start deciding that it would be quicker to chop something by hand than use the food processor.

So, if you have a lot of patience and a lot of time to cook, I would say by all means, get this machine because in terms of raw power, I've never encountered anything that works as well. But if convenience and ease of use are your main concerns, keep looking.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Cuisinart CANNOT be properly cleaned. SEE PHOTOS ABOVE., June 16, 2011
SEE PHOTOS IN USERS PHOTOS BELOW MAIN PRODUCT PHOTO.

Having both called and written Cuisinart about this problem, I am left with no choice but to conclude that the 14 Cup Cuisinart Food Processor CANNOT be properly cleaned. The problem is that the safety mechanisms on both the lid and the bowl are closed units that when submerged in dish water accumulates food particles that build up over time. And regardless of whether you submerge, or carefully rinse out under flowing water the top and the bowl unit, food particles accumulate in the sealed safety mechanism, which is UNCLEANABLE. Unsatisfied with my inability to clean the unit, and being well versed in food safety, I first wrote Cuisinart, (with above photos included) and upon receiving no reply, I phoned customer service. Customer service told me the following:

1. Noone has EVER complained about the inability to clean the safety mechanism.
2. The safety mechanism is easily cleanable with pipe cleaners, and cloth covered chopsticks (What?)
3. There is no design failure, due to the inability to access the safety mechanism and complete a correct clean.

Now, I know there are times when I am mistaken, but this is NOT one of them. Here's why:

1. The food particle buildup happens naturally, and certainly it happens to others, having ZERO complaints in not possible, considering the devices design.
2. The safety mechanism is NOT easily cleanable, and the use of pipe cleaners or chopsticks is not a viable way to clean them, since it's actually impossible to clean the units with either.
3. There is clearly a DESIGN FAILURE regarding the cleanability of the safety mechanism.

So, I leave it to you to purchase this device at your own risk.

PRO -
Motor is good.

CON -
It's a cleaning disaster, and breeding ground for unsanitary kitchen conditions due to it's design.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are considering this, just do it. You won't be sorry!, April 14, 2006
I purchased this a while back to replace a different model that was almost 25 years old . I am so pleased with this purchase. It is everything that I expected it to be and more.

Even though I primarily cook for a two-person household I purchased the 14-cup model. I have not had any problem with the machine being too large to perform the tasks I needed it to handle. The machine is large enough to make white bean dip from one pound of dry white beans without exceeding its capacity. I have also used the machine to make 2 pounds of whole-wheat pasta dough with room to spare. It is also nice to make large batches of base for gazpacho.

I love the size and heft of this machine. It is nice to not be concerned about exceeding the machines capacity or mechanical limit.

I highly recommend this machine to anyone that loves to cook. Once you have it, you will find so many uses for it that you had not anticipated. This machine is used at least 5 days a week in my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, December 11, 2006
Bill Stevenson (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
I have owned mine for 3 or 4 years. It does everything well and I find it easy to use. Mine came with a video tape to demonstrate how to use it that I found very helpful. It has the largest feed tube of any processor for home use, a very powerful motor, and it is big enough to handle almost anything even for a large party. There are a few negatives. I have no trouble using it, but my wife has trouble getting it to do what she wants. It may be that small hands have more difficulty with the safety interlocks? It is also somewhat difficult to clean the feedtube and the bowl because of sharp angles and parts that can't be accessed easily for scrubbing. A dishwasher is almost a prerequisite for anyone considering this machine. If you don't have or want an dishwasher, then buy either the newer Cuisinart design (biggest size is only 11 cups) or the Kitchenaid (not as fast, powerful, or as big) both of which are easier to clean by hand.

There are a few accessories worth considering. A spare bowl allows several options depending on how you cook and how big the crowd is that you are preping for. It can save a lot of time if you don't have to keep stopping to clean the bowl. There is a handy accessory stand available that holds several cutting tools, the mixer blade etc. Since I use mine almost every day, this stand is helpful. Take a look at the cutting tools too. That's about it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe ..., March 15, 2005
Xtian "Xtian" (Oakland, California) - See all my reviews
... I ever lived without one!! This unit (brushed stainless 14 cup) was a replacement for the off-brand mini food processor attachment I used to own which fit into my off-brand blender (now also recently replaced with the FANTASTIC Cuisinart CBT-500 Brushed Stainless Power Blender). When I bought the off-brand, I was younger & on a budget, but I should have invested in this model food processor (and the blender) the first time around. What a timesaver!! I just made pie dough, and the recipe which usually takes me several minutes took just a few seconds!! Plus (if you follow the simple directions in the DVD) it slices and grates like a dream!! I don't understand why many other reviewers are bent out of shape about the safety features - I have no trouble at all adding items through the small feed tube while the machine is running, or else stopping processing temporarily to add larger items (won't run without feed-tube attachment in place, so you must pause) - pausing briefly in the middle of a recipe to toss in larger ingriedients shouldn't be that big of a deal, in my opinion. Don't hesitate - buy one today!! This food processor has replaced / outmoded so many other tools in my kitchen already, and I've only had it a couple of weeks!! Leave it on the counter so you remember to use it, and you'll be surprised like I was at all the things it can do for you which you would normally do manually. It has honestly changed the way I cook. =) Oh, and the best part?? Cleanup is a snap - throw ALL the removeable parts into the top rack of the dishwasher!! *wild applause* Thank you, Cuisinart!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Built for pros, rises to the occasion every single time!, January 26, 2007
Neema Kharva (Bay Area, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I just got mine delivered in blue/chrome: the most attractive thing in my brand new blue/maple kitchen - in fact, the most attractive gadget, period. Buying this for us was toss-up with the Viking Pro Series (12c) - beauty, capability, aesthetics; and the Cuisinart just couldn't be beat - esp. with the price. The Cuisinart motor is also more powerful that Viking's (720 vs. 625 watts - and believe me for large cookie/dough/chopping batches, that extra power does come handy). I already had the mini-chopper (DLC-1SS, again in blue-chrome, again v. pretty) a mini-me clone of this mammoth and now the baby-elephant and mama-elephant together have made cooking a breeze! Most of my other gadgets are just sitting pretty in the back of the pantry.

We cook a lot of Indian food and recipes tend to be involved and painfully elaborate - for e.g., I do need to puree chillies, garlic, ginger, or ground fresh cloves, cinnamon - every single day. In that light I would recommend any one considering the 14-cup to definitely look at the smaller one too, as an additional investment - you won't regret it (not good for salsas, but grand for puree). Needless to say, the 14-cup will not, can not, serve you for spoon-full sized portions - did I say it is quite massive? :)

I use the mammoth - to chop larger batches of veggies and in the same bowl, make every day chappati dough, millet dough and less frequent pizza, pasta and bread doughs, and also x.large batches of cookies - I can make 120+ thumb-print cookies in a single batch!! Someone here mentioned that you need a dishwasher to own this processor. While I agree, I also feel compelled to defend, that this machine does save so much clutter and clean-up time - literally - no cutting boards - no kit.work bowls. I could be here all day singing praises for it. In a way, I think of the Custom 14 DFP as a speedy, serenely-supportive, perfectly trained maid! Kudos to the engineering team at Cuisinart that designed this clean-cut smart beauty.