Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

Color: Brushed StainlessChange

on July 3, 2002
Every kitchen needs a Cuisinart, and after the work bowl of my former much loved 14-cup Cuisinart Food Processor of 20+ years finally gave out, I opted to purchase the new Cuisinart 14-cup brushed chrome model DFP-14BC.
First the aesthetics, this model compliments all my other stainless steel appliances, including my double oven, toaster and microwave, etc. It looks very sleek compared to my former white model. In other words, I'm very pleased with the way it looks.
I use my food processor quite often and shopped around before deciding to choose this particular model. I picked this square-shaped model, similar to my older replaced DLC-7 model, with the two rectangular buttons that `click'. Since my former Cuisinart of like design served me well 20+ years, this design appeared more durable and was less expensive than another Cuisinart rounded model with oval buttons that looked less heavy-duty.
Other than a few modifications to the food pusher assembly, this new DFP-14BC model is virtually identical to my older processor, and just as easy to use. Even better is the fact that my older DLC-7 discs (with detachable stems) also fit this new processor. So far, I've used the metal blade, which worked like a dream, and the shredding and slicing discs that again work with ease and provide excellent results. Additionally, the motor on this new processor is more powerful than my original model and I can't wait to try it on making bread or pizza dough.
For first time food processor users, a demonstration video accompanies this machine and walks you through everything you'll need to know. You'll never make a pie crust again without it!
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2004
I read the reviews listed here before I purchased my Cuisinart 14-cup food processor from Amazon. Since I have received my processor, I can say that I have had similar experiences as many others have. Yes, it is aggravating that you have to leave the pusher assembly in place while running, having to remove it to add extra ingredients. Yes, it is very aggravating to wash those shredder discs, especially after shredding mozzerella cheese. It took me almost ten minutes to dig all the little gummed-up pieces of cheese out of the nooks and crannies. But it is powerful. Nothing will bogg this thing down. It works like a breeze. I love the large bowl and the large feed shoot. I made my decision to purchase based on the size and the watts. Mine is also very quite, which suprised me. It looks beautiful and massive sitting on the counter. Yes, you will want to leave it out. It is very heavy. But from now on, I'm going to stick the blades in the dishwasher.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011

Having both called and written Cuisinart about this problem, I am left with no choice but to conclude that the 14 Cup Cuisinart Food Processor CANNOT be properly cleaned. The problem is that the safety mechanisms on both the lid and the bowl are closed units that when submerged in dish water accumulates food particles that build up over time. And regardless of whether you submerge, or carefully rinse out under flowing water the top and the bowl unit, food particles accumulate in the sealed safety mechanism, which is UNCLEANABLE. Unsatisfied with my inability to clean the unit, and being well versed in food safety, I first wrote Cuisinart, (with above photos included) and upon receiving no reply, I phoned customer service. Customer service told me the following:

1. Noone has EVER complained about the inability to clean the safety mechanism.
2. The safety mechanism is easily cleanable with pipe cleaners, and cloth covered chopsticks (What?)
3. There is no design failure, due to the inability to access the safety mechanism and complete a correct clean.

Now, I know there are times when I am mistaken, but this is NOT one of them. Here's why:

1. The food particle buildup happens naturally, and certainly it happens to others, having ZERO complaints in not possible, considering the devices design.
2. The safety mechanism is NOT easily cleanable, and the use of pipe cleaners or chopsticks is not a viable way to clean them, since it's actually impossible to clean the units with either.
3. There is clearly a DESIGN FAILURE regarding the cleanability of the safety mechanism.

So, I leave it to you to purchase this device at your own risk.

Motor is good.

It's a cleaning disaster, and breeding ground for unsanitary kitchen conditions due to it's design.
review image review image review image review image
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2005
In terms of power and capacity, the Cuisinart DFP-14BC cannot be beat. Once you can actually get it running (more about that later), there's nothing it can't chop, slice, puree or what have you. The 14 cup bowl is huge and unless you are cooking for an army, it should be able to hold all of anything you are making with no problem. It looks very impressive sitting on the counter, and it's such a bonus that you can stick all of the parts in the dishwasher for cleaning with no warping.

All of that being said, this has to be one of the most tempermental pieces of kitchen equipment I have ever owned. In trying to make it safe, the manufacturers have made it really, really annoying to use. First of all, in order to get it running at all, all the parts have to be lined up just so, and I'm not talking about the normal sort of "just so" you would expect with any sort of food processor or blender product. It's not simply a matter of turning the bowl or lid until you hear or feel a "click" and then pressing the "on" button. No, even if you've felt the "click", if you've got something even just 1 millimeter out of place it will not run. To make things even more fun, if you try to press the "on" button too many times in a row with things not lined up just so, the machine automatically shuts off for 5 minutes such that even if you do correct the alignment, you've now got to wait 5 minutes to start it up again. There are times it takes me 10 minutes or more of wrestling with the stupid thing to get it started. When you are pressed for time, this is maddening enough to make you want to chuck the whole thing out the window. Then, there's the matter of the food feeding tube for those occasions when you want to add things when the machine is running. This tube is very small. It's fine if you just need to add a stream of olive oil, but if you need to add chunks of vegetables or something, you need to stop the machine, remove the whole lid, place the items in the bowl, wrestle with the lid to make sure you have lined up just so again, and then restart the machine. Again, maddening when you are trying to get a quick week-night meal on the table in a reasonable amount of time. You know a machine is a pain in the patoot when you start deciding that it would be quicker to chop something by hand than use the food processor.

So, if you have a lot of patience and a lot of time to cook, I would say by all means, get this machine because in terms of raw power, I've never encountered anything that works as well. But if convenience and ease of use are your main concerns, keep looking.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2006
I purchased this a while back to replace a different model that was almost 25 years old . I am so pleased with this purchase. It is everything that I expected it to be and more.

Even though I primarily cook for a two-person household I purchased the 14-cup model. I have not had any problem with the machine being too large to perform the tasks I needed it to handle. The machine is large enough to make white bean dip from one pound of dry white beans without exceeding its capacity. I have also used the machine to make 2 pounds of whole-wheat pasta dough with room to spare. It is also nice to make large batches of base for gazpacho.

I love the size and heft of this machine. It is nice to not be concerned about exceeding the machines capacity or mechanical limit.

I highly recommend this machine to anyone that loves to cook. Once you have it, you will find so many uses for it that you had not anticipated. This machine is used at least 5 days a week in my home.
on December 11, 2006
I have owned mine for 3 or 4 years. It does everything well and I find it easy to use. Mine came with a video tape to demonstrate how to use it that I found very helpful. It has the largest feed tube of any processor for home use, a very powerful motor, and it is big enough to handle almost anything even for a large party. There are a few negatives. I have no trouble using it, but my wife has trouble getting it to do what she wants. It may be that small hands have more difficulty with the safety interlocks? It is also somewhat difficult to clean the feedtube and the bowl because of sharp angles and parts that can't be accessed easily for scrubbing. A dishwasher is almost a prerequisite for anyone considering this machine. If you don't have or want an dishwasher, then buy either the newer Cuisinart design (biggest size is only 11 cups) or the Kitchenaid (not as fast, powerful, or as big) both of which are easier to clean by hand.

There are a few accessories worth considering. A spare bowl allows several options depending on how you cook and how big the crowd is that you are preping for. It can save a lot of time if you don't have to keep stopping to clean the bowl. There is a handy accessory stand available that holds several cutting tools, the mixer blade etc. Since I use mine almost every day, this stand is helpful. Take a look at the cutting tools too. That's about it. Highly recommended.
on March 15, 2005
... I ever lived without one!! This unit (brushed stainless 14 cup) was a replacement for the off-brand mini food processor attachment I used to own which fit into my off-brand blender (now also recently replaced with the FANTASTIC Cuisinart CBT-500 Brushed Stainless Power Blender). When I bought the off-brand, I was younger & on a budget, but I should have invested in this model food processor (and the blender) the first time around. What a timesaver!! I just made pie dough, and the recipe which usually takes me several minutes took just a few seconds!! Plus (if you follow the simple directions in the DVD) it slices and grates like a dream!! I don't understand why many other reviewers are bent out of shape about the safety features - I have no trouble at all adding items through the small feed tube while the machine is running, or else stopping processing temporarily to add larger items (won't run without feed-tube attachment in place, so you must pause) - pausing briefly in the middle of a recipe to toss in larger ingriedients shouldn't be that big of a deal, in my opinion. Don't hesitate - buy one today!! This food processor has replaced / outmoded so many other tools in my kitchen already, and I've only had it a couple of weeks!! Leave it on the counter so you remember to use it, and you'll be surprised like I was at all the things it can do for you which you would normally do manually. It has honestly changed the way I cook. =) Oh, and the best part?? Cleanup is a snap - throw ALL the removeable parts into the top rack of the dishwasher!! *wild applause* Thank you, Cuisinart!!
on July 23, 2007
I bought this beautiful appliance in September, and finally had to return it last month (June), after 9 months of spotty service. Within the first few months of infrequent use, the long thin plastic piece that is used to push down, connect and start the motor running broke into two pieces. Having become dependent on the food processor and being too busy to bring the unit back, I simply carried on, keeping the inch long piece of plastic from the end and using it to push down when I needed to use the machine! Also, if I ran the unit for too many minutes, processing something as challenging (!) as soft cookie batter, the unit would start smelling as if it was burning. I shut it off immediately and mixed it by hand instead. Over the next few months I noticed cracks developing in the clear plastic bowl and in the piece that inserts into the feeder tube. Finally, in June, the unit started leaking liquids. This was the final straw, so I had to return the unit. It is certainly poor design engineering to make the operation of the machine entirely dependent upon a long, thin piece of plastic. Also, the mini chopper which came with the unit was overwhelmed by the challenge of chopping cloves, and the sides of the unit became horribly scratched and the motor gave off that now familiar burning smell. I still need a food processor, but I'm lost as to what to buy as a replacement, given my bad experience with this unit, made by Cuisinart, King of Food Processors. I will miss the lovely brushed stainless steel, and will find a machine with more substance and less style next time.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

I have never had a food processor before, thinking that they take too much time for the effort involved in using them. Nevertheless, I purchased my Cuisinart 14-cup brushed chrome model DFP-14BC based on recommendations from Amazon, and LOVE it!

It is very, very easy to use. It comes with a DVD which I watched and replayed pertinent sections to make sure that I understood how to use it. There are also recipes on the DVD, but I was watching it just to figure out how to use the appliance and how not to hurt myself.

I like the locking mechanism feature. I have used my Cuisinart 14-cup brushed chrome model DFP-14BC about 10 times. Sometimes when I'd go to use it, it would not engage or turn on---this was because I had done something wrong or unsafe and I was GLAD that it didn't work. I am getting the hang of it and am very glad that it has the level of safety that it does.

I debated between buying this model or an inexpensive ($50 or so) model. I am glad that I purchased the Cuisinart DFP-14BC because it is easy to learn to use, easy to use, easy to clean, and I know that I will have it for a while, as opposed to an inexpensive model that would perform in a limited fashion and then be discarded in a few years.

It looks beautiful on my countertop when I'm not using it. I bought a wicker basket that I keep the attachments in out-of-sight so that the appliance stands on its own as a permanent fixture in my kitchen. It is beautiful, quiet, easy to use, and great for a beginner like me. I am quite pleased with this purchase!

on January 29, 2004
First - Cuisinart has the worst customer support I've encountered lately. If you should need parts for this, and try to order them, you will encounter a slow-as-molassas and confusing website with incorrect photographs and descriptions, persistant backorders, long hold times, and telephone representatives who really don't give a darn.

I am not basing this on a single call I was unsatisfied with, rather a series of them, all with different representatives.

Our unit is used lightly (1-2 times per week to chop potatoes, onions, and the like, but the plastic (lexan?) portions are incredibly fragile. We are not the only ones - the plastic pusher for the item above is backordered SEVEN weeks.

The Kitchen Aid Pro Line is better.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse