Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

on July 16, 2008
I did alot of research before purchasing this coffee machine. Read so many reviews and finally decided to do it. I am so pleased with this product. I realize some people feel it is too noisy (when it grinds the coffee beans, JUST before brewing) and I can say it is noisy. (My own individual grinder was pretty noisy too) So for me to be able to wake up to freshly ground and brewed coffee it worth it. My machine goes off at 5:50am and I do not even hear it.I get up around 6am and have great coffee.I choose to clean it when I am done and head out to work at 6:50am. When I get home all the parts are dry and I simply set it all up for the next day. I do have a suggestion, do not buy the coffee maker paired with the goldtoned filter as advertised on Amazon. It is the wrong filter for that machine. The machine comes with it's own goldtoned filter basket. All in all this is a great coffee maker.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2007
I purchased this coffee maker in August of 2005 from a local retailer, and it has performed flawlessly until today (Dec. 30, 2007). I clean the machine every weekend, since we have highly calcified water where I live. Today, it would not heat the water enough to cause the dripping cycle to operate and some water leaked out of the bottom of the machine onto my countertop.

I called the customer service folks (keep those owner's manuals and purchase receipts) and was pleased to learn that this coffee maker has a three-year warranty. They are sending a replacement coffee maker immediately at no cost to me! All I have to do is send the defective one back to them when the new one arrives(about a $10 cost to me).

I was very pleased with the treatment I received from the service rep on the phone. I have nothing but praise for Cusinart products (I have a blender and a food processor too), and now I can vouch that they stand behind their merchandise, even after 2+ years of use.

Incidentally, the coffe maker grinds coffee and brews it better than any machine I have ever owned. It is a bit noisy when the grinder kicks on, but we've grown accustomed to its 30-second whine. The machine requires careful, daily cleaning and might be too high-maintenance for some folks; but if you like great coffee, fresh-ground and steaming hot at wakeup every day, this machine will not disappoint.

Highly recommended.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2008
I just purchased this coffee maker to replace my Cuisinart Coffee on Demand. This is the second coffee maker like this that I have owned and I am glad that I have come home. When my coffee on demand went out, I purchased another brand coffee maker and returned it within 3 days.

My husband and I consider ourselves coffee snobs and about a year ago began purchasing our coffee whole bean solely and thought it would be a great "ease" in our morning coffee routine to own this machine again.

I have read reviews about the difficulty of cleaning and noise of the grinder. It is actually really easy. After I grind and brew a pot of deliciously strong, rich, hot coffee; I open the lid and take out the grinder rinse it off with hot water and set it on a towel. I then take out the gold tone filter, empty the grounds, rinse it and set it on the towel. Then I remove the filter basket and lid and rinse them and set them on the towel. I leave the top lid open to dry out the inside and by the time I am ready to brew another pot of coffee all parts and inside of the machine are dry and ready to go. All together it takes me less than minutes to clean it. And then when all the parts are ready for a deep clean, I through all parts, including the carafe and lid, into the dishwasher. Piece of cake.

All in all this is the most incredible coffee maker that I have ever owned and the easiet to use and I don't have to worry now about replacing my worn out bean grinder, my coffee maker doesn it for me.

And a note about the grinder basket. I have read reviews that have said that it doesn't hold enough beans for a full 12 cups and then it can't be adjusted for the 1-4 cup feature. The grinder holds just as many beans as what I used in my counter top grinder for 12 cups. And if you only want to brew 1-4 cups of coffee, only put in enough beans for 1-4 cups. The grinder will still run for the 30 seconds that it is set for the 12 cups but it works well and you don't even realize it's doing it.

I would highly recommend anyone who loves to brew whole bean coffee, whether occasionally or everyday, to buy this machine. You don't have to always brew whole beans it this machine, you can turn off the grinder and place pre-ground coffee right into the filter. Also a piece of cake.

I would also recommend that you try the gold tone filter that comes with it. It mixes the oil from the whole bean in with the coffee and gives such a boost in the coffees smoothness and flavor.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2008
I received the coffee maker as a gift. Although the coffee is great, the cleanup and maintenance offset any advantages of using the grinder. The problem is that excessive condensation accumulates in the grinder during the brewing cycle, leaving a wet and sticky mess because of the residual coffee grounds in the grinder.

Although its a messy cleanup, this is a bearable problem if you don't plan on making another pot prior to an overnight air dry of the grinder. However, if you do attempt to make another pot, then the residual moisture creates even greater problems because you cannot sufficiently dry the grinder to prevent an even greater quantity of coffee grounds from sticking in it during the next brewing cycle.

I suppose that you could use a hair dryer to thoroughly dry the grinder, but that's more trouble than its worth. Consequently, I have gone back to using a separate grinder, thereby avoiding the messy cleanup and maintenance problems.

In short, the cleanup is much easier if you use a separate grinder. I thus use this coffee maker with the grind feature turned off. However, this nullifies one of its major selling points. Thus, I would not recommend this product.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2008
I love this coffee maker. We have have been looking for the perfect coffee maker for a long time. We have tried a french press, the senseo and various other coffee machines. None were good enough resulting in expensive daily trips to Latte Land. This machine has changed everything.

I almost bought it in March then decided not too because of the "messy clean up" reviews. What a shame I didn't get it then. It makes fantastic coffee. Just tastes great - and my husband is very selective about the perfect cup. It is an amazingly easy clean up. I just rinse the grinder and dry it with a paper towel. It takes two seconds. It is as easy as changing the filter paper.

Fantastic machine, easy clean up, fast to grind and then brew. (It is quite loud though)
on March 12, 2011
I have had two of the Automatic Grind & Brew coffee makers and do not recommend purchasing them.

The first one worked for about a year (I don't even use it heavily -- only make coffee 2-3 times a week) and then developed an issue where the grinder basket could not be pulled out of its place with any amount of force. It is necessary to remove the grinder basket after making coffee to clean it so mold doesn't grow there. After it became clear that this issue was not going to fix itself, I called Cuisinart and they kindly replaced the machine as it was under warranty.

They sent me the new model (shown in this listing), which also worked for about a year but then also developed an issue. This time, the basket where the grinds sit kept popping open during the coffee-making process. This meant that highly-concentrated coffee would drip all over my countertop, and I'd have to jump up to pop the basket back in place as quickly as possible. It even stained my wooden countertop! I patiently withstood this for a few months, and then finally called Cuisinart to get a replacement. However, they told me that even though they realize my coffee maker has a problem, they cannot replace it because the original coffeemaker (the first one that broke) was no longer under warranty.

I am a reasonable person and completely understand warranty policy, but Cuisinart should stand behind its products. They have obviously not gotten the design of the Automatic Grind & Brew right. I'll never buy another Cuisinart coffee maker again, and I recommend you look elsewhere as well.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2008
Bought this coffemaker a month ago: so far I have no issues with it. Machine performs beautifully.
Regarding cleaning/maintenance that other users are complaining about: there indeed is a sticky residue left inside the grinding compartment after every use. The longer you let it sit there, the harder it is to clean. So I just rinse all the removable parts after each use. Some people might regard it as a nuisance. So if you are looking for no-maintenance appliance, that model is NOT for you.
Also, that model is marketed as having '12-cup' capacity: it is NOT true. The grinding compartment is not large enough to fit 12 scoops of coffee beans neccessary for 12 cups of coffee.
So, to summarize: that coffemaker is suitable for people who are willing to spend some time on cleaning after EVERY USE and do NOT need to brew 12 cups of coffee at once.
on October 7, 2009
I actually enjoyed this machine when we first got it, even though it was a pain to clean. The real problem came when it just stopped working after a minute or two of brewing, we had to turn the machine on and off several times just to get a pot of coffee. It was pretty useless, and it was about a year after buying it. I tried to call customer service on multiple occasions, I never was able to talk to anyone, and left several messages that were never returned. I finally threw the piece of garbage out. My mother in law also had similar problems with the machine not working anymore after a couple of months, and was also unable to reach customer service.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2009
I wasn't sure what to expect based on the wide variety of reviews for this product, but I decided to request this coffee maker from my wife as a Christmas gift. I am very pleased with the coffee maker so far, made about twenty pots of coffee since Christmas (we had relatives staying with us).

Setup was very easy, with clear instructions showing the components, controls, etc. The directions suggest unplugging the unit when cleaning, but that would reset the clock so I've ignored that particular recommendation. It's probably something the lawyers recommended to stave off lawsuits if someone immerses the unit in water while it's still plugged in. :)

The grinder works great, though be prepared for a noisy thirty seconds while it's running. It's not really any louder than a stand-alone grinder, but those of you new to grinding coffee beans might be surprised. There is a helpful 1-4 cup setting that heats the water correctly when you are only making a small pot of coffee.

Cleaning the pot is really pretty easy. As others have said, there are a number of pieces to clean including the grinding chamber. However, if you use a stand-alone grinder that also needs to be cleaned, and having the grinder built-in saves time and keeps ground coffee off the counter. It does take a bit of dexterity to remove the components and replace them, might be challenging for older people with arthritis or eye-hand coordination issues. All the components can be placed in the dishwasher or sink for thorough cleaning.

I'd have given the unit 5 stars but felt that the components could have been just a bit sturdier. All in all, a great coffee maker if you want to experience fresh ground coffee every day without the hassle of a stand-alone grinder.

One Year Later: The little "pause and serve" valve at the bottom of the filter basket holder apparently fell off in the dishwasher, so I had to order a replacement. Cost about six dollars, so the coffeemaker is still going strong. I now use it almost every day to brew a four cup batch to take in my travel mug.
on April 7, 2009
I bought this because I thought it would be less work to have freshly ground coffee in the morning. Wrong! It is way more work because you have to meticulously clean it after every use, otherwise you will walk into your kitchen and find coffee all over everything. The same thing can happen if you don't carefully close the filter basket. It will pop open during the grinding process. I got rid of it after a few months.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse