5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee maker - so far!
Published on July 7, 2010 by pjrocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Coffee, loud grinder, unacceptable glitch
Bought this unit for my wife for Christmas 2009. Liked the idea of a combo grinder and coffee maker. $100 at World Market, Houston. Get it cheaper now.
1. Also bought the gold filter basket (no brainer).
2. The unit makes great coffee.
Published on May 15, 2010 by Kurt G. Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee maker - so far!, July 7, 2010
This review is from: Cuisinart DGB-625BC Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal (Kitchen)
I had an earlier version of the 10-cup Cuisinart Grind and Brew that lasted more than 3 years. It made an awesome pot of coffee. I read online reviews of this and similar grind and brews from Cuisinart that made me nervous that I wouldn't get as good a product as I had last time. I looked closely at other brands and other versions of grind and brews and decided based on my own experience with the last one I bought, I'd give this model a shot. So far I have not had any problems that other people have mentioned. Yes, there are more parts to take apart, clean and put back together than a regular coffee maker. But the superior taste of the coffee you get from the grind and brew is absolutely worth the extra couple minutes of prep time it takes. Besides, I was used to it from the previous model I owned. So that is not an issue. I read other reviews about the hinge not closing or popping open during the brew cycle, or leaking. I have not had ANY of those issues. NOTE: One reviewer said to read ALL the instructions carefully and follow the directions and that's what I did. Most important thing to remember here is you have to be sure to keep the handle of the gold filter basket facing the front of the coffee maker. Last - I saw some reviewers complain of the noise as it grinds the coffee beans. This version of the grind and brew is noticeably more quiet than the last one I had, so no issue there either. All in all, I am VERY glad I purchased this product. I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Coffeemaker, January 16, 2010
A very nice, straightforward coffemaker, makes good coffee with pre-ground beans, can be programmed to start when you want. A nice feature is that it can also be programmed to shut down when you want -- either right after brewing or up to 2 hours later. A bit on the noisy side, even without the grinder function on. Initial setup is easy. Please note that if you do not close *and latch* the reservoir cover, the machine will beep constantly and not brew until you do. Drove me crazy for about 15 minutes until I noticed that the cover wasn't fully latched. Although it does tell you that in the instruction manual, it's not immediately evident -- it's a line in the middle of lengthy instruction under #6 "Close Reservoir Lid", on page 8.

Update on Feb. 1, 2010
It was a learning curve to figure out how many scoops of whole beans to add for a good cup of coffee. A small scoop is included, with instructions to use one scoop per cup. However, the grind on this machine is fairly coarse, so it comes out a bit weaker than I'm used to. Adding a bit more each time took me over the top to "bitter," so it's hard to find a balance. I'm afraid I enjoy pre-ground coffee in this coffeemaker more than whole-bean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Grind-and-Brew for the Price, June 2, 2010
Rogue (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
I am very pleasantly surprised by this machine. It replaced a 3 year-old Cuisinart grind-and-brew that just stopped working one morning. I intended to buy one of the expensive burr-grinder models from Capresso when I found this one on clearance at a warehouse club for fifty dollars. I figured for a quarter of the price of the Capresso it was worth a shot - if I didn't like it I could always take it back. I am so happy that I tried it!

Compared to my old Cuisinart this one is much, much quieter. Don't get me wrong, it's still loud, but it's more like the sound of a truck driving by while my old one sounded like a jet engine taking off. I attribute the quietness to the much thicker grinding chamber on this model. I think it holds in place better, reducing the vibration noise. Maybe a burr grinder model would be quieter; I don't know. The burr grinders I have used make noise at a lower frequency - so they sound different, but not necessarily quieter.

The coffee tastes great! The warming plate / glass carafe keeps the coffee hot enough for my taste. Might not be hot enough for some - I don't like my coffee scalding hot. The grounds in the basket get well saturated during the brewing process, so you don't have to use an excessive amount of coffee beans to get a strong pot.

The only drawback is the need to clean the machine after each use. I'm used to it, because my old Cuisinart was the same way, but I can see the attraction of a burr grinder model that you don't have to constantly wash. The cleaning process is easy. Everything pops out easily and cleans up quickly, but there are several parts that have to be washed. The instructions say you can run the parts through the dishwasher, but when I did that with my old Cuisinart the plastic eventually developed a white residue that took a while to scrub off - so I'm not going to use the dishwasher with this model.

Overall I am very happy with this purchase. It is inexpensive, relatively quiet, has good programming features, and makes a good pot of coffee. Having a 12-cup capacity is great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Coffee, loud grinder, unacceptable glitch, May 15, 2010
1. Also bought the gold filter basket (no brainer).
2. The unit makes great coffee.
3. The grinder is very loud. Loud enough to wake the household at 5am. I now purchase ground coffee and don't use the grinder in the coffee maker.
4. The filter basket sits in a swing out holder that is spring-loaded. There is a "release" button on the side of the unit. The door tends to pop open at very inopportune times, including while the coffee is brewing. This is an unacceptable glitch in the design. This gets the unit a 3-star rating from me.
I'm in the process of getting a replacement unit from Cuisinart. Even for $50, not worth the mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I ever made, June 2, 2010
LV (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
I love this coffee maker! We grind our beans everyday as we like the freshness and extra flavor provided by grinding the beans right before brewing. The Grind & Brew makes it so much easier than using a small electric grinder - and no mess from stray grounds. Programming the coffee maker is simple. The features of 1-4 cups and grinder "off" are nice, too.
I was a bit concerned before purchasing about the time it might take to brew based on other Cuisinarts I had used previously, but it brews quickly. The coffee is very hot, much hotter than any other maker I've had before. As recommended in the instructions, I rinse the gold filter, grinder and filter basket after every use. I give them a thorough cleaning by placing in the top rack of the dishwasher every few days. If you like using whole beans and grinding fresh, this is definitely the coffee maker for you.
The only small criticism I have is that the maker beeps when it finishes brewing which my dog dislikes because it sounds just like her invisible fence collar. The maker also beeps if you turn on programming without all the parts or water being in place. I wish there was a way to turn off the beeping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee - Wonderful Grind & Brew, November 27, 2009
This is my second Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffeemaker in the last six years. This model is easy to clean, easy to set timers and you can check the water level from the outside of the unit. Parts go back into unit with ease. I am very happy with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak Coffee, July 18, 2011
We own a Melitta Grind and Brew which is falling apart after 8 years.

The Cuisinart rushes the water through the grinds and makes very weak coffee. No adjustments are available to change the amount of time for grinding such as with the Melitta.

Cleanup is much more time consuming. The need to leave all the pieces on the counter to dry is very irritating.

The top to the coffee put must be pried off not flipped up with your thumb. This is a pain because we use the pot to add water for brewing.

Weak coffee and complex cleanup make this not for us. We continue our search for a good Melitta replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars great cup of coffee, April 1, 2010
I searched high and low to replace my Melitta Grind and Brew and purchased the Cuisinatt 625 after reading many reviews. The coffee comes out hot and is one of the best tasting pots of coffee I have had. More parts to clean than the Melitta but just something I will have to get used to. Though, after 1 week, while brewing my pot this morning the coffee leaked over the side of the pot and made a mess. I called the 800 number and she informed me you need to brew the coffee with the handle in the 6:00 position or this will happen. I can't say I remember that in the manual and it seems silly that you need to do this but tomorrow I will brew another pot and hopefully all my coffee will go into the pot.

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll get tired of this quickly, January 8, 2012
At first, I thought this was the answer to freshly ground coffee in the morning without the hassle of using a separate grinder. Unfortunately, the amount of time you spend cleaning the darn thing out completely negates the time you would have saved by using a separate grinder. I've found myself taking my grinder out and using that separately as it's quicker than the clean up procedure which is a huge pain. Not only do you have to get it clean, you have to make sure the grinding bowls are perfectly dry to keep fresh grounds from caking up all inside.

Also, it requires you to put this little cover over the basket so the water gets distributed evenly on top. After about 10 minutes of cleaning you sometimes forget it's even there, start your coffee brewing, and come back to find something that looks like tea. This is one of those items that's good in theory but very annoying once you actually use it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept with an unfortunate drawback, December 3, 2012
If I had not purchased this item on sale, I would probably consider returning it. I really love the idea, but unfortunately its not as streamlined as it seems.

The good: The grinder works well and the machine makes great coffee. The coffee pot is well made, and has a stylish shape. No problems with clogging or overflowing so far. I like the way the front panel pops open with a button-push, and the basket is easy to clean. The included metal mesh filter is very nice (you can set it aside and still use paper filters if you prefer). You can opt not to use the grinder at all (which eliminates some of the below issues).

The bad: This thing is tremendously loud. We have actually found this to be a rather endearing quality. Setting the timer and waking the whole house up with what sounds a bit like a helicopter warming up is a subject of household humor. The front panel looks a bit like brushed metal, but it's plastic, albeit sturdy plastic.

The ugly: The steam from the coffee making process rises up into the grinder and creates thick gunk that sticks to the inside of the grinder. You must take the grinder out and clean it thoroughly every single time you make coffee. Apparently they are aware of this issue, because they give you a tiny brush for this purpose...