4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for a number of chores in the kitchen
Published on December 26, 2003 by Joanna Daneman

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine... but too small
Published on May 16, 2005 by Matthew Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for a number of chores in the kitchen, December 26, 2003
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor, White (Kitchen)
While I usually chop on a plastic cutting board with a big chef's knife, the Cuisinart makes several tasks a lot easier. Chopping cooked or raw meat is one. If you are making hash from leftover corned beef, a short burst in this food processor is the easiest way to go. For mixing certain pastry doughs (pie or pate brisee) this is also a very good item to have, although you have to be careful to go slowly and not overprocess. The one thing the Cuisinart does is heat up the dough if you whirl it around too much, so you have to be careful. And if you put too heavy a bread dough in, using the plastic bread blade, you can heat the shaft up enough to jam the blade onto the central post and that's a big nuisance. However, with these cautions, the Cuisinart is hands-down my favorite food processor and for shredding, slicing thinly or chopping, pretty much the best kitchen appliance for the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the Five Stars, December 31, 2010
I'm an enthusiastic amateur cook. Some might say I'm an advanced cook. Whatever.

I've had a number of food processors over the years. Just a few factoids are pertinent here:

* My first FP was an original Cuisinart 7-cup model. I just tossed it out because the bowl finally broke and I didn't want to replace just the bowl at this point. Why? Because I bought the original over 30 years ago! In thirty years of hard use, only one minor part failure. I'd say that original was pretty durable.

* There's Cuisinart and there are 'all others.' In thinking over my experiences, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than a Cuisinart. Especially after reading the numerous reviews on Amazon.

So, I bought a new original -- now called 'Classic,' like Coke -- 7-cup model. And, like Coke, they've changed enough of the product design so that they couldn't call it the 'old' Cuisinart. So it's a 'Classic.' OK.

What are the evolutions in the last 30 years and, more importantly, are they worth it? Here are the ones I can see:

* The steel chopping blade -- the workhorse of the unit -- has changed slightly in its shape. This is no doubt for the best.

* The switch is now a single, double-duty switch instead of two separate controls. One way for 'constant on,' and the other way for 'pulse.' An improvement, both in functionality and manufacturing cost.

* The motor sounds different, presumably because it's both better AND cheaper to make. Also, not having ripped the unit apart to see for myself, I believe that it's also because the controls have been replaced with a solid-state switching mechanism. This is also for the better.

* I've saved the best for last. Cuisinart has included in this model a bowl cover that is simply a flat plate with a hole in it that allows the user to simply drop, drip, or drizzle ingredients into the bowl at will, without having to juggle the three-piece feed tube arrangement. Now, the feed-tube system is lovely for slicing and shreeding, but it always requires cleaning each part every time it's used. So this new, additional cover is a boon to the cook, who might well use it, as I do, about 90 percent of the time I use the processor. Thanks, Cuisinart. You've read my thoughts.

Anyway, the device is also good for all the right reasons. It's functional, well-designed, and well-made. It's called 'classic' because it is. It's stood the test of time for me and thousands of other customers.

I expect to have this processor for the next 30 years. At that point, I'll be 93 years old and probably require a juicer, not a food processor, to prepare my meals. The juicer will probably be a Cuisinart, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "gadget" that really works, September 3, 2001
I bought the Cuisinart food processor last Christmas...as a gift to myself. My husband rolled his eyes when I told him I had bought this..he thought this was another gadget that would get used once and then disappear forever in a kitchen cabinet. I absolutely love this machine...I use it almost everyday from chopping vegetables to making cookie/cake dough. It is easy to use...easy to put together and best off all..easy to clean. I would highly recommend this for anybody who wants something that really works.

5.0 out of 5 stars After much research I purchased this model, December 27, 2010
I am a very analytical person that does not buy a product without extensive research. I first determined that for a two person household of empty nesters that the 7 cup food processor would be the ideal size. Smaller models do not offer the option of mixing bread dough or pizza dough and usually do not have slicing/shredding options. I also did not want to lift or be forced to clean a larger machine. Upon examination of 7 cup food processors I quickly found that the two brands most recommended by consumer research groups are the Cuisinart and the Kitchen Aid brands within my price point of around $100.00. Both of these models have good motors and are heavy enough not to move around on the counter while performing their functions.
In comparing the two models I found that the weights and heights of the models are similar. Product reliability ratings are also similar. The Kitchen Aid gains points for appearing to be easier to clean and being slightly more attractive on my counter than the Cuisinart. The downside of the KitchenAid food processor was that the slicing blade that comes with the unit is a 2mm blade that slices food very thin. I concluded that the slices are too thin to use in my stir frys or pie baking without rendering the fruit or vegetable into a mush like state. The Cuisinart comes with a more functional 4mm blade that better meets my needs(It is important to note that you cannot buy other size blades or attachments for the 7 Cup KitchenAid model).I like it that I had the flexibility of purchasing other attachments in the future to perform other functions with the Cuisinart model.
I purchased this particular model of the Cuisinart because unlike the newer model it came with an extra easy to clean lid, which you can utilize when using the main blade of the machine. This simiplar lid cuts your clean up time in half over using the more complex pusher lid, which is not easy to clean. (As a side note-always spray the blades with cooking spray before using the slicing and shredding discs to save on clean up time).
I also found that you have more control with the slicing function in the Cuisinart model, due to the pusher assembly in the lid, than you do with the less complex mechanism in the Kitchen Aid model. After trying both models at home I also found that the mixing action was superior in the Cuisinart and that food had less chance of becoming lodged under the blade. So, I have kept the Cuisinart model and could not be happier with my recent Christmas gift to myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for every kitchen!, August 19, 2004
True to the listing, this little machine does a lot! Baklava requires a lot of chopped nuts. This machine does it lickety split. Beautifully sliced tomatoes, all the same width, in no time at all. Pesto in minutes. Every cook should have this item on the counter. Clean up is simple...put it in the dishwasher (but, not the motor part.) The machine is pretty quiet. The price is good at $99 w/ free shipping & handling. We had a $50 coupon that made this long overdue purchase even sweeter. I have nothing bad to say of this food processor. It's awesome!
April 1, 2005 UPDATE:
Upon further use of this fabulous machine, I've come to rely on it more to save me time. Fry your bacon, dump it into this machine...instant bacon bits! 2.5 lbs of cheese from the warehouse club store...shreds in seconds! Put it in a zip-lock baggie for future uses in recipes, on salads or burgers. Making soup? Sliced carrots and celery have never been so fast! In the mood for fresh shredded potatoes for a meal? It shreds them up in no time. And, doughs really do mix well in this machine!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine... but too small, May 16, 2005
Matthew Hunter "Technology Geek" (Blacksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I must admit that I feel a little bad about giving this only three stars, but there is one serious drawback that forces me to do this. It is just way too small. It boasts a 7 cup capacity, but you need to realize that doesn't mean you can actually add seven cups worth of ingredients in all cases. Liquids are the biggest problem. Just this morning, for instance, I was making a soup that began with 2 cups of coconut and two cups of liquid ingredients that needed to be well blended. I added these 4 cups of ingredients to my food processor, and it immediately leaked out a lot of the liquid the moment I started it. The liquid came out from under the blade... so it wasn't as simple as a lid that wasn't on tight.

That said... this is a great machine for small jobs. The fact that it is completely dish washer safe is a real bonus. The parts are all made of lexan, so they won'y crack in the dishwasher.

Because of the size issue, I ordered the 14 cup model this morning... because I really do love everything about this unit except the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Food Processor, April 18, 2001
This food processor is extremely well designed and well constructed. It makes my food preparation much quicker. One word of caution, unless you need to prepare food for more than 2 people, this is not for you. Quantity of food makes a difference in your experience. I don't chop my green onions or mince one or two carrots in there. It won't work.
The free videotape is very well presented and helpful. Good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for price!, May 6, 2005
This is my first food processor that I just bought a week ago after going through all the reviews on amazon. And I must say that its totally lived up to my expectations. I found the manual and the video tape to be good help and it takes hardly any time to figure out how to get the processor up and running. The video tape also shows some of the other attachments that have to be bought separately (like thinner slicer, whisker etc)which is good to know too. The only thing I dont like about it is that its white and very quick to get dirty. The first thing I used it for was to shred carrots, and it already has a red tinge (although the good thing is that you can wash everything except the motor in a dish washer). Ive only used this food processor one week, and hope that I'll have the same performance long term! All in all, I think its a great value for money. Although I would suggest not to buy it from Amazon. My local Bed Bath & Beyond had it at the same price ($99.99), and I could use a 20% off coupon that I had on it, which brought it down to around $80!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Addtion to a Gourmet's Kitchen, July 17, 2000
For the size and the money, this is one of the better buys if you are looking for time- and effort-saving device for gourmets.
This food processor can replace many other tools in the well-equipped chef's kitchen: Mandoline, Pastry Knives, Potato Masher, to name a few.
Since I began using the Cuisinart, I have been able to make well-mixed doughs for perfect pastries and breads, julienned veggies (with a separate julienne blade) for crudites, superb mashed potatoes and potatoes au gratin, as well as many other dishes with a minimum of effort.
The only flaw of the Cuisinart line is the feed tube. While the multiple size feed slots make it easy to push anything from full-size potatoes to drizzling oil to make mayonaise, it can be a major challenge to clean due to the multiple crevices in the feed pusher.
Overall, however, the Cuisinart can make short work of the most complicated culinary endeavors, with a versatility to match a whole counter full of manual tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know what I'd do without it!, September 7, 2005
Love it! I previously had the 11-cup Cuisinart. I'd had it about 20 years; then the small plastic parts started breaking off the main parts. I make and freeze Pesto every summer from fresh basil in our garden. The 7-cup was on sale. Hmmm, I thought. Big enough? (It was cheaper than buying new parts for the 11-cup.) So I ordered it.

YES! It was big enough. I can still make a double recipe with plenty of room in the bowl.

I keep it on my kitchen counter, so it's there at all times, 'cause I use it several times a week. Handy, too, for cutting fresh veggies for stir-fry.

My husband gets inspired to use it, too, for his homemade pizzas. That's an added bonus!

ARRAY(0xd991fe30)