4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, basic machine.
Published on June 15, 2008 by Naomi Witzke

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart DLC-2011CHB Prep Plus 11 vs FP-12DC Elite 12-Cup
Published on March 22, 2012 by ComputerPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, basic machine., June 15, 2008
Naomi Witzke "Earlybird78" (New Hope, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-2011CHB Prep 11 Plus 11-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless (Kitchen)
My first attempt at purchasing a food processor was to buy the $69.99 Oster. I did this because of the price. Predictably, it did not perform well and I had to return it. Perhaps Oster does better with blenders, I don't know. After doing further research, I was torn between KitchenAid and Cuisinart. There are hordes of loyal followers in each camp on this issue, and it was hard to choose based on reviews. I finally just went with Cuisinart, because it happened to be the model that my local store carried. In general, I'm happy with the product and would recommend it to other home cooks. I've only had this appliance a few months, and I don't use it every day. I probably use it once every couple weeks because it's only my husband and me so I don't cook for a crowd. I do love to prep a lot of food and then freeze it ahead because I'm a busy teacher, so the processor is a big help with that. If it were not so heavy and easier to clean, I'd probably use it more because this workhorse really gets the job done fast. Here are my observations based on what I've done with it so far:

It is excellent at:
Making breadcrumbs (both fresh and dried)
Mincing fresh herbs
Chopping/mincing raw and cooked meats (like whole chicken for chicken patties etc.)
Making salsa

Pretty Good/Could Be Better:
Shredding carrots, cheese (very quick and uniform, but some gets stuck between the lid and the shredding disc)
Grating a wedge of Parmesan (I put small chunks of it in the bowl with the chopping blade, as it shows in the DVD demonstration - and the result was coarser than I expected. In the end it melted fine in the dish I was making (lasagna), but it just felt like coarse sand to me when I was finished processing it, rather than soft powdery flakes like you get when you use the fine holes on the box grater. Still, it sure was a heckuvalot quicker than doing it by hand. I guess I'd do it again, as long as it was being added to a dish that would be cooked, like pasta. To make a pile of Parm to serve at the table or to add to breading, I would still use a handheld Microplane zester.)

Not Good:
Slicing green onion by the bunch (it pulled them under the lid rather than slicing)

Cleanup and Handling
It's a little finicky to wash by hand, because there are nooks and crannies for stuff to get stuck in. So far with a little effort and some strong jets of water to shoot into the cracks, I've been able to get it clean. It MUST air-dry, because there's no way to get a towel into the handle, where some water collects. If I had a dishwasher I think cleanup would be a breeze. So far I've only used it when I had a big job to do, because otherwise it's just quicker to pull out the old cutting board and knife or the box grater. They're easier to haul out and quicker to clean. Speaking of which, this processor weighs about 12 pounds empty, and in the summer the rubber feet tend to "suction" themselves onto whatever surface they're sitting on. Not so easy to lift this baby down from on top of the fridge, I discovered - and I'm 5'9!. ' I would recommend storing this at countertop level or lower, and then lifting with your knees to save your back and shoulders.

Final Comments:
I am happy with my purchase and would buy another Cuisinart if this one ever dies. I wish it shredded things without pulling them sideways under the lid, but that's my only complaint - and actually, it's only a small amount that gets pulled under. In the end, I'd much rather use this processor to shred several pounds of cheese than to use the box grater. I would recommend this size to a family of 4 and up - unless you're like me, and you like to chop a bunch of stuff at once and then freeze or can it. Good product, decent price for what you get overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart DLC-2011CHB Prep Plus 11 vs FP-12DC Elite 12-Cup, March 22, 2012
I purchased both the FP-12DC Elite 12-Cup and the DLC-2011CHB Prep Plus 11 Cup. I did this because Consumer Reports rated the DLC-2011CHB Prep Plus 11 very highly (it is currently their second highest rated processor), but did not rate the FP-12DC Elite 12-Cup at all. I was interested in many of the features of the Elite 12, but not at the cost of functionality. Having tested the machines for a week now, I can say that I am pleasantly surprised and quite taken with the FP-12DC Elite 12-Cup processor.

The Motor:
While there is little information from Cuisinart regarding motor in the Prep Plus, I believe it to be the same as that in the Elite. Other places have said the Prep Plus has a 768 watt induction motor, and the Elite box states it has a 1000 max watt induction motor. In addition, the motor warranty on both is the same 10 years. They also sound very similar. They are both quiet, with the Elite perhaps edging the Prep Plus here, only because the base is bigger and is able to muffle the noise a bit better. This is not by any means scientific, but they are at least very similar motors and have avery similar amount of power.

The major difference between these two motors is that the Prep Plus has a dough feature and the Elite 12 does not. This does not mean the the Elite is incapable of dough. It is and it is heavily marketed for it in the sales materials and the included recipes. In fact the Dough button on the Prep Plus (and others including the Elite 14 cup) seems to be largely about product differentiation, or at the very least, it has limited utility. It is supposed to slow the motor so that the dough mixes better. In my testing though, it did not slow the motor significantly, and certainly slowed it less than the actual dough did. I also think a stand mixer does a much better job for this purpose. Having said that if you have limited space, both machines will happily punch up a dough for you.

I also did not like the buttons on the Prep Plus. They are blister buttons with a thin layer of plastic over them. When I was in the store, these buttons had been completely destroyed by all the fingers pressing on them. Surely a food processor at home would see as much wear, but they did not fill me with confidence. the Elite buttons are a similar style of button, but they seem to have a thin layer of metal covering the button. It seems like a more durable system.

The Work Bowls:
The Prep Plus has a Lexan bowl, the Elite has one made of Polycarbonate. Lexan is a very light weight plastic, but it is also somewhat flexible. This gives the impression that the Elite polycarbonate bowl is sturdier, and would last longer. Whether or not that is actually the case is difficult to say. In any case the Prep Plus bowl is undoubtedly lighter, so if you are an elderly person, or have some other infirmity, the Lexan will be better for you.

Both Elite bowls have a pouring spout, the prep plus does not. That's right, the Elite 12 comes with two nesting bowls. The Prep Plus comes only with one standard 11 cup work bowl.

The Elite bowls utilize the Sealtight lid, the Prep Plus uses a standard lid. Some have complained the Sealtight lid is hard to clean, but I have not found that to be the case. A rinse with the sink sprayer, and a run through the dishwasher (top rack) is all that I needed to get either of the work bowls and lids clean. The Sealtight lid does take some downward force to close, but I found it needed no more pressure than the Prep Plus bowl required laterally (sideways). In fact I found the Prep Plus bowl was inferior in use, in almost every way. The Elite bowl can be removed by twisting it left and lifting it from the motor with the lid still closed. The Prep Plus bowl, however, must have it's lid loosened before you are able to remove the work bowl from the base. In practice this is a real pain. I also found the button release of the Sealtight lid to be much more agreeable than the twisting function of the Pre Plus.

The Prep Plus has a widemouth plunger opening, and so does the Elite. Oddly, though the Prep Plus opening is very slightly wider, because of the way the slicing and shredding blades mount on that machine, it is a solid inch more shallow. This means you will be doing more chopping before you can get your food processor to do your slicing. In my tests with carrots, it meant four fewer cuts over 5 total carrots. Not a huge difference, but if you were going to do a lot of slicing - making pickles or the like - it would mean quite a bit more prep work.

The smaller plunger on the Prep Plus is a circular one, that can lock inside the larger plunger. The Elite has a wider elongated small plunger that does not lock. At first I thought this was a falling of the Elite, but in reality the extra real estate in the smaller opening is appreciated, and the need for a locking smaller plunger in negated by the fact that you have to press down on it as well as the larger plunger when using the large opening. The only real failure I saw in the Elite plunger system, was that it was missing some drainage holes that the Prep Plus version had, and these cause the plunger to collect water in the dishwasher.

The Blades:
This is where the Elite comes out head and shoulders above the Prep Plus. The Elite slicing blade is adjustable, creating 6 different widths for slicing 1mm to 6mm. While I can't imagine a circumstance where you would use a 1mm blade - since the power and speed of the machine would render whatever you were slicing into mush - the rest of the widths are very usable and make very good even slices. The slicing blade on the Prep Plus, on the other hand, is fixed. In addition, because the slicing and shredding blades have a smaller circumference, they do not cut as well. - more about this for the shredding disk.

I have read people complain that food falls through the finger holes in the Elite disks. This did happen some for me, but over all the slices were far superior with the Elite blade. So much so that fully a third of the Prep Plus slices were uneven, where only 8 slices did not pass muster in the Elite machine (out of about 1.5 and 2 cups respectively). That included one piece that must have gotten through the finger holes. To be sure the finger holes are an unfortunate design decision. They are completely unnecessary given that the hubs provide a more than adequate place to grip the blades without cutting yourself. However, I found that their impact, when the machine was used as directed, was negligible.

The shredding disks were another place for the Elite machine to shine when compared to the Prep Plus. Both disks for the Prep Plus are an inch smaller in circumference. This combined with the odd design of the shredding ridges on the Prep Plus blade gave wholly uneven shreds. Some were very short at around 1/4 inch, some quite long at 1.5 inches. I can't think of a situation where this would be desirable. Even and long shreds should be a no brainer, and the Prep Plus blade can not deliver. When I first looked at the Prep Plus shredding disk, I wondered if it wasn't trying to accommodate the small blade circumference, but even if it is, it's a design that is faulty.

The chopping blades were much closer in performance. Both produced an even, fine mince, with a slight edge going to the Elite design. It took two additional pulses to get the same evenness and size in the Prep Plus. Not a deal breaker to be sure, but when you put that together with a far more functional slicing disk, and far better shredding performance, the choice is becoming clear.

Additionally the Elite chopping blade has a locking blade design, that allows for both more liquid in the work bowl, and for pouring the processed food out without losing your blade into the receptical, splashing food everywhere. This is a far better feature than all of the others combined. The Elite is a food processor that could legitimately be used for making smoothies, or milk shakes, because it can actually hold liquid.

So in the end I can confidently say that while both machines are very good, the FP-12DC Elite 12-Cup processor is the winner hands down, and the Prep Plus will be going back from whence it came.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, September 16, 2009
P. McKenzie (Denville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I spent a lot of time studying all kinds of food processors and settled on this model - it's great.

The container is a good size for all kinds of jobs. I still prefer this tool for something as simple as chopping onion and garlic - and it mixes up a batch of yeast bread coffee cake with equal good results (no 100 strokes).

Storing it is a pain in the neck. I have it broken down for storage and sometimes I grumble in putting it together - but I usually put in the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous work horse!, January 8, 2009
A. Day "sunniday" (Crane, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I got this processor to replace my (still working) 5 yr old Cuisinart DLC-2011 white. This is a very similar model except that this one has a Stainless Metal base which is BEAUTIFUL and they have fixed a oddity of the previous model. In this model you can twist the lid off while the pusher assembly is still in the lid where as in my 5 yr old white DLC-2011 it required the extra step of removing the pusher first before you could remove the lid. There is a slightly different locking mechanism on this model that allows for this. This was a pleasant suprise that I was not expecting . I was fine with the other way because the machines capabilities far outweighed the little oddity. I had first accidently ordered the brushed chrome DLC-2011 and was dissapointed that it was infact silver plastic so I returned it to amazon. I then ordered this Brushed Stainless DLC-2011CHB machine and recieved it. I am so glad that I didnt settle for the silver plastic one as this processor really is nice looking. I think it is great to combine beauty with power and performance and this one has it all ! Highly reccomend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well But It Has a Few Flaws, November 24, 2010
I bought one of these last spring so that I could knead dough quicker and so that's what I mainly use my Prep11 for. It's a good machine and gets the job done quickly however there are a few design flaws that make this machine a tad bit annoying. First if you have anything over 3 cups it tends to spill over and get trapped in the underpart of the blade and is really really hard to clean out. Second the stem that attaches the bowl to the main unit has a gap and anything that spills over gets trapped in the crevice that holds the stem. Every time I go to clean the Food Processor after using it I have to use a toothpick or something very thin to scrape out the gunk. Other than that the machine is pretty good quality and can take a punch with whatever I am using it for it just becomes annoying to have to pick out dough every time I use it for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Customer Service beware. Machine started smoking at 12 months, January 6, 2014
I was very happy to purchase a Cuisinart Food Processor after reading all the great reviews. However, after owning it for 12 months and maybe using it twice a month the motor started to smoke and it smelt like something was burning. So I called Cusinart and they said that off course they would examine the unit to see if the problem was under warranty, and if it was deemed to be under warranty they was repair or replace it. However, I had to pay all the shipping and handling (for the very heavy unit). I am obviously disgusted with this. My food processor looks as new and already it is unusable and it will cost me to repair it. I guess this is the kind of product Cuisinart make now, something that you dispose of after a year. Needless to say I won't be buying another Cuisinart and I advise you to check out other Food Processors too!

1.0 out of 5 stars problems with attachments and optional parts, November 26, 2007
Cuisinart DLC-2011 Prep 11 Plus Food Processor, WhiteCuisinart DLC-2011 food processor, 11 cup.
In the instruction manual and DVD Cuisinart lists crucial attachment parts such as a whisk attachment. However, they discontinue these important parts while still selling the main product that has very few attachment parts. Had I known that these parts are not available as advertised I would not have bought this product. Cuisinart's customer service is unhelpful and brisk to rude, will not take the food processor back. They sell it under false promises.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, Aweful Customer Service, June 21, 2014
I've owned this processor for just over 3 years and rarely used it, I decided to chop up some peanuts to make peanut butter and the motor stopped working. I've spend a week back and forth via email with customer service trying to get information on how to have it repaired or replaced since one of the main selling points was a 10 year warranty on the motor. After several emails and providing them a credit card statement that shows the transaction where I purchased the item, I found out I need to package up the processor, pay shipping costs to Cusinart's service center, and pay return shipping costs for them to "evaluate" it. As a customer I'm apparently not valued given the hassle I've encountered with their customer service and the charges to ship the appliance for a maybe we will repair it type attitude. I'm extremely disappointed with this and have banned all Cusinart/Conair products from my home.I strongly encourage you to look for something better because Cusinart is no longer a reputable brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plastic Container Broke within two weeks, September 19, 2013
Researched up and down as to which Processor to buy and finally settled on this one (which is not cheap!). While shredding cheese two weeks after my purchase, the main plastic canister broke all along the bottom. It is now useless and I have to waste a whole lot of time trying to get it replaced!! I was expecting a whole lot better quality for the amount of money I had to spend on this processor.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't grate cheese with the fine grater, April 8, 2013
I used the food processor a couple of times to chop up ingredients, and it certainly does that efficiently.

I also used the slicer blade to slice carrots and cucumbers. Invariably, I was left with a big mushed chunk whirling around on top of the blade disk, in addition to the slices that fall underneath the disk as they are supposed to.

The first time I tried to use the fine grater disk that came with the food processor, the work bowl broke.

I was trying to grate mozzarella. I cut pieces to fit ino the smaller, round feeding tube, so I could do a little at a time. Rather than grating, the soft cheese smushed,and a chunk of the cheese became lodged between the disk and the lid. This pushed up on the lid, but the lid being fixed to the work bowl, this pressure lifted the work bowl off of the base, and one of the guides, or grooved holes that snap the work bowl onto the base, snapped off. Now the work bowl won't snap onto the base, so the whole thing is useless.

If I'm going to be able to use my still-new food processor, I guess I'll have to buy a $45 replacement work bowl, and I'll just never use the raised disks.

Bottom line: the raised disks don't work very well because there's too much space between the disk and the lid, allowing too much food to get lodged between the two, which in my case led to the work bowl breaking.