5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best (DLC-8S & DLC-10S). Period.
It's true that the current build quality of all Cuisinart food processors does not live up to the rock solid, virtually indestructible reputation of their forebears of the 70's and 80's. ("Nothing is quite good enough" was their former advertising tag line.) However, the DLC-8S (and DLC-10S) is one of the few models that harkens back most directly to the original Magimix...
Published on December 11, 2011 by Muleshoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart DLC-8S is Shoddy Shadow of former Cuisinarts
My 1987 DLC-7 is my 3rd Cuisinart. It has had daily use and is worn and has a small problem. I ordered the DLC-8s only to find it cannot compare to my old machine even in it's state of advanced age and I am returning it. For example the cord is short and light weight. The bowl is actually smaller...11 cups is really an exaggeration. The motor is 5.2 amps compared with the...
Published on December 6, 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 338 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control & Customer Service Issues, May 3, 2007
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-8S Pro Custom 11-Cup Food Processor, White (Kitchen)
Updated on May 10, 2011:

I eventually received a replacement blade that fit a lot better. I have now used the machine for about 4 years and like it a lot. I make a pizza dough in it about every two weeks, which is probably the toughest kind of work for a food processor. Since replacing the main blade I have been happy with this machine. It does not have fancy electronic controls - it is controlled with simple, easy to use, mechanical switches. Electronic controls certainly have their pros and cons. In principle, the front of the newer electronically machines are easier to clean. But on the electronic controls, the thin flexible plastic covering the switches is easily worn through. And unlike the electronic controlled units, the mechanical switches on the DLC-8 series, can, if need be, be easily replaced. I find the motor base and switches easy to clean anyway. I am also told that the safety interlocks on the newer machines can be more of a pain.

The "11 cup" capacity is not realistic. Usable capacity is generally much less, and varies depending on what is being done. The work bowl may hold 11 cups if you are using the accessory discs to slice onions, grate cheese, etc. But with the regular blade and a watery liquid like soup, capacity is under 4 cups because the level must not go much over the top of the center blade housing - otherwise liquid can seep out. For must uses, a reasonable guide is that the work bowl can be filled about half way. Similar capacity limits apply to all food processors I have used or seen because of the way their blades are connected to the motors through the bottom of the work bowls.

I would recommend this machine to others who want a reliable, heavy, functional machine. I prefer it to the newer designs.

The main blade and dough blade were defective on my new Cuisinart DLC-8s Pro Custom 11. So are the replacements sent by Cuisinart. They do not fit properly.

The fit of the blade on the motor base is so loose that when the machine is pulsed on/off there is a loud clunking noise. With the machine off, there is so much looseness that the tip of the blade can be moved almost three quarters of an inch back and forth without turning the motor. (This "free movement" should be about a quarter inch). The dough blade is also loose. The accessory discs, however, fit perfectly.

Loose blades like this are likely to break. The first person I spoke with at Cuisinart didn't seem to even understand what I was talking about. A manager acknowledged the problem and sent a new one, but the new one they sent is only slightly better - it's still very loose. At a local store, I checked another: same problem. Other models of Cuisinart food processors that I checked did not have this problem. Neither does an older DLC-8 that a friend has, or the KitchenAid ones. If you purchase this machine and have a loose fitting main or dough blade, don't hesitate to contact Cuisinart about it.

On the other hand, the large paddle switch controls are much better and easier to use then the switches on other models, especially for "pulsing", which is the primary way of using a food processor. With the included compact / flat cover it takes up much less space and is much easier to clean- again for most people this will be the primary way of using the machine.

If the blade had fit properly, or if I had gotten a better response and a properly fitting blade from customer service, I would have given this machine 5 stars.

I'm frustrated and dissappointed because this used to be a great machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy, and easy to use., September 5, 2000
I have enjoyed the use of the food processor. One of the features that sold me on this appliance, was is that it is easy to put together. Some food processors are difficult to assemble. This is clearly not. There is only one way to place the bowl, and the remaining attachments. I like to no nonsense buttons of 'on' and 'off'. I like the fact that it is heavy, and it isn't apt to go sliding around on your counter.
The dough attachment is perfect for making wonderful bread without needing, by using fast acting yeast you can have home made bread in about 90 minutes. Pie dough is a snap as well. I have used mine for the standard chopping, slicing, and even mixing up cookie dough.
If you want something that is simple to use, and does a fantastic job, I would certainly keep this one in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the ancient reviews, this is a great bargain, August 29, 2010
I just received mine and it works great. I had a smaller Kitchen Aid which is an excellent product as well, but this had more capacity and was on sale, so why not?
It comes with a manual and a dvd and plenty of accessories. It's sturdy, efficient, and well-made. I made cole slaw for the first use, and it worked like a charm and cleanup was easy.

Please look at the dates of these old reviews, some are 10 years old for goodness sakes. I wish Amazon would create as statute of limitations, as these are now completely irrelevant to the current product available. Note also, that the posters seem to be deriding the company for charging for replacement parts for their 25 year old machine(and that's 10 years ago!). I'd be thrilled to have a product last that long, so I'm looking forward to having this around until I'm 72, then I'll gripe they don't make 'em like they used to like these old fogies!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Food Processor!, September 4, 2007
I have used Cuisinart food processors since I was a child, when they first became available. When I got married, I got the 2 cup capacity Cuisinart food processor as a wedding gift, but longed for a larger capacity food processor like the Cuisinart I grew up with.

Years of longing went by, andI finally bit the bullet and paid the $$$ for this food processor. I have read other reviews on the Cuisinart food processors on here, and some people lament the fact that the Cuisinart of yesteryear is no longer a French product (it's made in China now) , and the quality has gone down the tubes.

Truthfully, since I grew up with one of the first Cuisinart's, I haven't been able to tell much of a difference, if at all, between the old and new. It still does a fantastic job of chopping, slicing, pulverizing, etc. I have had fantastic results from pie crusts and bread in this machine, which I was never able to make in my smaller Cuisinart.

******Word of caution!!!! I rated this 4 stars because when making the meatloaf recipe in the pamphlet supplied with the Cuisinart, my machine started giving off black smoke. Supposedly, the machine is supposed to shut-off as a safety feature when it starts to get too hot, but mine didn't. It gave off black smoke, and I had to return it. So, use caution when making the meat loaf recipe supplied with this machine. I chopped the meat into cubes as stated in the recipe, so don't know why the Cuisinart could not handle this task. I am hoping my unit was just defective, but *will not* try the meatloaf recipe again for fear of this happening. I was able to save the meatloaf, but it was chunky beef meatloaf, and not true ground meatloaf. Yummy recipe, though!*********

Also, the guacamole recipe in the booklet included with the Cuisinart is out of this world! I like a creamier guacamole, and increased the cumin to 1/2 tsp, and added 1/3 cup light sour cream. Yummmmmmm!!!!

The how-to dvd (although a little cheesy) included is a must-see if you have never used a Cuisinart food processor before. I especially liked the cooking segment by the French chef on there.

The stainless steel on this machine is very attractive, and I keep mine on my counter, even though it does take up a bit of space. I would advise anyone buying this machine to keep theirs on the counter because if it is put away out of sight, it will never be used. The old adage "Out of sight, out of mind" definitely is true!

I am going to keep my smaller Cuisinart to chop small loads. This larger capacity does not do a very good job with a small load, say, 1 tbsp of spices, herbs, etc. It takes more effort to scrape the large bowl than it would have if you had chopped it by hand.

All in all, I would recommend this food processor to anyone wanting to make food prep a much easier task. Yes, the price is kind of steep, but is well-worth it when it produces such fine results. The motor comes with a 10 year warranty, so you know it should last you for years and years.

Bon appetit!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Where can I find the original Food Processor???, February 19, 2011
I HATE this processor. It's my third Cuisinart and the worst. The first was my favorite and, I think, the original French model. It was so easy to use and to clean and this model is a curse. I have severe arthritis and cannot even get it together without help. The older model just fit the blades on a standing center stem in the bowl and you fit the blades on it. This has some nasty little stem thingys and good luck getting them to fit and then getting them onto the base. I garden and can a LOT of produce and the old model was so helpful. Whoever is building them now has replaced ease of use with dozens of unneeded, indecipherable safety features. It has slowed down my ability to process raw foods to the point that I hand slice nearly everything. Much slower, but much easier on the blood pressure. You have to dismantle the whole damn thing to get it ready for another tomato or potato which really kills the productivity. On certain day, I cannot even put the damn thing together. I wish companies would realize that we're not all clumsy, suicidal fools and that we can probably use a slicing blade without incident. Just trying to get the plastic top to fit on the base and get it to work is impossible. I had my first processor about twenty years and I've had this less than one and I'm ready to throw it through the nearest unopened window. It finally gave up the ghost when I was slicing potatoes. Somehow, their "safety feature" slipped out of gear and the bottom of the feeder tube got sliced up with the potatoes, ruining the entire batch which was covered with little plastic shards. Shame on Cusinart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray! New Food Processor, August 31, 2009
J. E. Westbrook (Grand Junction, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I recently replaced my 20+ year old Cuisinart with this one. The old one still worked, but I had broken the top and the replacement really didn't work well. What a difference the DLC-8S is from my old one! It seems to run smooth as silk and is quiet, too. It took me seconds to make basil pesto. I am THRILLED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Cuisinart DLC-8S, September 29, 2011
Kelli L Kelly (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After using my grandmother's ancient food processor for the past 15 years, I thought it would be time to upgrade. OMG, I'm in love with this food processor. My first concern was that it was going to be too large to store in my tiny cupboards; not the case, the blades and accessories store easily inside of the unit. The machine is easy to use and to fiugre out. The main feeder has two sizes which is handy when processing veggies of different sizes. I finally figured out how to julienne and am working my "magic" quite frequently. The blades are extremely sharp - I was even able to slice tomatoes! I haven't yet tried the dough blade, but if it's anything like the other functions, I'm sure that I will have success with it too.

1.0 out of 5 stars My motor squeaks, June 15, 2009
I have owned this one (DLC-8S Pro Custom 11 cup - White) and a 7 cup classic processor for years. Both processors that I own have a compact flat cover, which I love. I only use the metal S blade, so I can't review the other attachments. I only fill it to the top of the metal S blade or perhaps a quarter inch below the top of the metal S blade (about 4 cups), otherwise it seems to stress out the machine or if semi-liquid, it will spill out somewhat. I like the flat covers so much, I bought extra covers, just in case. By the way, the white cord is about 32 inches. I like the side by side switches.

UPDATE: I recently bought a new DLC-8S processor from Amazon and the unit squeaks. It is irritating. It's a low, medium, or high squeak, which comes and goes during processing. I called Cuisinart and they said to return it, but it had been over 30 days (Amazon only has a 30 day return policy). I have an identical unit I bought several years ago, which does not squeak (yes, I own 2, 11 cup processors, but the new bowl is a little too loose on the older motor, even though they are both 11 cups). Actually, I have owned 4-5 Cuisinart food processors and none of them squeaked. Units might make a noise similar to a squeak if misused or overfilled, but it always goes away once you stop and fill the unit properly. I know, because I did overfill my first food processor, and I've since learned what's too much. The motor currently has a 10 year warranty - see the last page of the book. I will keep this squeaky motor for now, since trying to deal with the problem is stressing me out. I will probably just buy a whole new processor in a few months. UPDATE: I bought another unit and after 60 days or so, the motor started to squeak (I use it every 2-3 days). Either 2009 was somewhat of a bad year for this Cuisinart model or the quality is not as good as it used to be. I have not misused this food processor and I've processed the same foods and the same amount of foods, so this is why I think the quality has gone down. I can't believe I'm the only one complaining about this noise issue. The noise is much louder than the motor and I'm sure my neighbors aren't too happy either. I currently don't like any other food processors on the market, so I'll continue to use this Cuisinart for now. The problem is that it will cost me 10.00 plus shipping to send in the motor to fix the squeak. I also have no faith in Cuisinart to fix the problem. And apparently Cuisinart has a bad reputation about customer service, according to online complaints.

Bottom line - the first unit I bought in 2009 squeaked and the new unit squeaks. Units I bought before 2009 did not squeak. I doubt Cuisinart cares and I wonder if they'll ever fix the root of the problem at the factory. You could test for squeaks by running the unit with just the bowl and flat cover and no blade, but the problem might take several weeks to show up.

UPDATE: March 9, 2010. I shipped the motor to Cuisinart to be fixed. Six weeks later, I got the motor back. I've used it for 26 minutes and it doesn't currently squeak, but Cuisinart basically destroyed the processor for me anyway. It no longer works the same way when it comes to using the metal S blade. I don't think the metal S blade cuts as effectively. The stem in the center of the motor is now lower on the motor, which now makes it virtually impossible to clean between the stem and the motor. But even worse, the blade now sits lower in the bowl, which changes how it purees. The blade is almost touching the bottom, but it should be perhaps a small 1/8 of an inch above the bottom of the bowl. The blade has been lowered maybe 1/16 of an inch. This unit will never puree like a normal unit, since the blade sits so close to the bottom of the bowl. I can't even get a wet paper towel between the motor stem and the motor, because they forgot to add a washer or whatever. Well that was basically a waste of $30.00 (20.00 to ship + 10.00 to ship back). But I think it was important to at least try to fix the problem. I did call Cuisinart about this new stem problem, and they said I could spend another $30.00 to ship it back to them.

Next time I buy a food processor, it'll be from a store that has a 180 day return policy, like Macy's. Kitchenaid food processors also have several bad reviews, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Perhaps I would have given this DLC-8S five stars if it had never squeaked or if Cuisinart had fixed the motor properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars 11 Cup Pro is the original, classic food processor, June 2, 2006
I have owned a Pro Custum 11 for over 18 years and it still works great. Last week I used the dough recipe from "The Best Bread Ever" by Charles Van Over "Great homemade bread using your food processor." The machine worked great! I retarded the dough in the fridge for a little over a day and had artesan bread pizza crust that was terrific. I also grated a half pound of cheese in just a few seconds and avoided using my knuckle buster grater! Par boil some potatoes until a little soft, shred these with a quarter of an onion and you have wonderful hash browns in no time that are fresh instead of frozen. Etc. Etc.

I felt compelled to speak up because of some of the whinny reviews of this product. Some people should stay out of the kitchen and order take out. This product has been in production since the early 70s with practically no changes---Just maybe Cuisinart got it right. Even after 30 years, Cook's Illustrated recently rated this machine a best buy in food processors over newer, slicker looking models for both its low cost and superb functionality and performance.

If you do alot of baking maybe consider getting the 14 cup version of this product. The added capacity and a little heftier motor would do better with the heavier whole wheat type of bread doughs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Life Easier, February 7, 2010
JRI "JRI" (Redmond WA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this product to speed-up the dinner process, particularly salads. It has worked very well. The biggest problem was in learning how to assemble the system; that is, learning which direction each piece turns to snap into place. That was a very minor inconvenience that was eliminated after using the device a few times. (It is explained in the instructions, but who likes to review instructions every time.) As they say, practice makes perfect.

The device is solid and doesn't move around when in use. The noise is at an acceptable level.

I very much like the ease of cleaning the device. After each use I spray and rinse with water and throw the parts in the dishwasher. My part of cleanup takes about fifteen seconds.

I would recommend getting a blade storage device with this product. The blades are VERY sharp. You do not want to be fumbling around in a drawer for them. I chose the Blade and Disk Holder which holds the parts nicely. Cuisinart Blade and Disc Holder I would recommend this product to others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 338 | Next ›