4.0 out of 5 stars I like it a lot, but not in love.
Published on October 20, 2009 by Enthous

1,497 of 1,558 people found the following review helpful
Update: cuisinart no longer carries the Limited Edition. However, it periodically gets reintroduced by them. I've been asked to leave my review up based upon it covering the other two and noting things one might consider in comparisons. However this old model of the LE is hard to find now so I wanted to note that up front.

When I buy a new kitchen or household...
Published on October 14, 2009 by Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it a lot, but not in love., October 20, 2009
Enthous (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by telling you this processor replaces a 30-year-old original Cuisinart DLC-8. It didn't have a wide feed tube, and had much less power, so I'm not making a comparison with a newer, comparable machine. It's kind of like comparing an economy car to a Mercedes. Also, I got it for a significant discount during a Macy's sale, which is the only reason I bought it. I don't know if I'd pay the regular price for it. Another reviewer liked the limited edition better when spending the big bucks. That said, I'm happy with it, but not as thrilled as I expected to be.

First of all, be forewarned, this baby is BIG. I have a small appliance garage on my counter. My old one fit in there facing front-to-back, with the work bowl attached and the cover inverted. This one is so large I can't face it forward -- the door won't close. So it's in sideways, with the bowls attached, but the cover sits on its side next to it, because with the large feed tube you can't just turn the lid upside down. Other appliances (hand mixer, stick blender with attachments) had to find other homes. If space is a premium for you, think hard about this one. A measurement they don't give you and which might be useful: height with bowls, but without the lid is about 12.5 inches.

One of the main reasons I wanted a new processor was power. I make an English muffin bread that has an extremely soft dough -- you might say more of a stiff batter. It doesn't do well in my large stand mixer - the dough crawls up the dough hook, so I tried using my old food processor. It bogged down and just stopped - I think the internal override must have tripped, because in a while it worked again. It's the only thing that ever completely overwhelmed that old workhouse, although it slowed down and groaned on many an occasion. This one handled it, but with a little bit of effort. You could hear it laboring, but it made it.

I do love the 3 work bowls; they fit together beautifully. You can do something in the smallest bowl, take it out and leave the stuff in there, then do the next one, and so on. The bowls below stay clean. The chopping blade and slicer/shredders work with both of the larger bowls. However, you can only use the dough blade with the largest bowl, not the middle one. I made pizza last night and since pizza dough is a smaller amount, I think it would have worked better in the smaller bowl. In the large one it kind of got lost. I was happy with the final kneading results - soft and smooth, but I had to fiddle with it a little. There was a flour ring left in around the shaft, about an inch or so radius. Nothing too disturbing. I had no residue in the corner between the bottom and sides. The adjustable slicing blade is really great - love it! And the sealed top works as advertised. It's the first time I made anything that starts with dry flour that didn't make a dust cloud around the whole machine. Also, I like the way the top attaches, with a click rather than a twist. When you need to take the top off and on several times, it seems much easier to me.

Another thing I like is the bumps they put on the bottom of both the small and large feed tubes. They grip the food in the chute better and it doesn't seem to slip sideways as easily. Perhaps Cuisinart has done this for years and I don't know it, but it's a big improvement over my old one. I also like that the smaller feed tube is a nice sized oval - in fact, about the same size as my old one. Some other models have a small circular feed tube that could hardly hold a very large carrot.

There are a lot of parts to this thing, so I think I may not bother getting it out sometimes because of the hassle. For example, I made some butternut squash soup the day after I got it. Even tho it was brand new and I wanted to try it, I didn't bother dragging the whole thing out to puree the squash, I used my stick blender instead. I think it would have done a good job, but it didn't seem worth the trouble. On the other hand, that's exactly why I have a stick blender. Maybe if I made a huge amount it would be worth it. I'm sure if you keep it on the counter it would be much handier.

1,497 of 1,558 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars The food processor SHOW DOWN: A comparison of 14 cup stainless Cuisinart food processors, October 14, 2009

When I buy a new kitchen or household item with lots of competitors I do loads of comparison/contrasting and research first if it's over a hundred bucks...Knowing it was time for a new food processor, I began comparing models. However, I found it a tad difficult to do with all the different blades, codes, etc.

Therefore, once I had completed my own shopping and comparisons, I thought it might be helpful for anyone else in the same situation if I posted my own comparisons here.

I'll start by saying, after all the testing I decided to order the CUISINART LIMITED EDITION Metal (NOT THE ELITE) 14 cup food processor on Amazon. I found it to be the best value for my own needs and it was cheaper here than anywhere else I looked as of the time of my review. I chose Cuisinart because it's known to be the best but what made me decide on the limited edition may not be what you would want...this way you can compare and decide.

I chose a 14 cup because I love soups and big batches of dough.

I only looked at stainless because I only have 2 electronics on my countertops....this will be one. And it best matches the appliances.

So...that said...here we go: (these are all by Cuisinart)

I compared The Custom 14 food processor DFP 14BCN.
I will call this "C from now on.

I compared it to the Limited Edition 14 cup MP-14N
I will call this "LE" from now on

I compared also the Elite Collection 14 cup FP 14DC
(I will call this "E" from now on)

and I compared the PowerPrep Plus 14 cup DLC-2014CHB
(I will call this "PP" from now on)

WARRANTY:

C: Two controls: On/off and pulse. No dough mode button
LE: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough
E: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough
PP: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough

MOTOR: (heavy doughs especially need the better motor if you use these)
C: regular motor, 720 watt
LE: most powerful: over ¾ horsepower commercial induction motor
E: regular 1000 watt motor

PP: all metal

SHREDDING BLADE:
C: stainless medium
LE: stainless medium
E: stainless reversible shredding disc (fine/medium)
PP: stainless medium

PP: 4mm

CHOPPING/MIXING:
C: large blade
LE: large
E:Large and small blades for various sized bowls it comes with
PP: large

How To DVD:
C:none
LE:included
E:included
PP: video included

All have extra large feeding tubes which replaced the small ones of food processors of yesteryear so you don't have to prechop veggies to get them in the feeding tubes. All come with spatulas to scrape them down. All have parts that are dishwasher safe.

Other:
C: none
LE: also comes with attachable beater blades so you don't have to keep your mixer on the countertop or drag out two appliances for some mixing chores. Bowl is made so no food gets caught in grooves or corners. Cord can be wrapped underneath machine.
E: also comes with attachable 11 cup and 4.5 cup bowls with pour spouts and measurement markings for small chores. These nest inside the 14 cup bowl. Some have complained that the narrow base and wide top, which makes the nestling bowls fit in, don't allow as smooth of mixing and also that food gets caught in a rim making this bowl harder to clean after mixing things that get trapped like shredded cheese and fine nuts. This is the only one that comes with an accessory storage case with a lock...nice to keep blades away from kids. Cord can be wrapped under unit on this one as well.
PP:none

Conclusion:
What I wanted in my food processor may be different from you so I'll note a few things. For me, the Limited Edition was what I purchased because it was far higher priced everywhere else on the internet including the Cuisinart site itself so I thought it good value and its price on Amazon, it's warranty was the best and it had the most powerful motor of all of them so, since I use it often, this was a plus. Also because of its powerful motor it is best for doughs as was the solid metal dough blade. I have a huge kitchenaid mixer that I don't keep on the counter so having the beater blade attachment was great for quick mixing when I don't wish to drag it out of the pantry. Because most of my slicing is the 4mm and I never do any fine shredding, the adjustable blades weren't needed for me (and I can buy them later if I want them...all parts are interchangeable on the 14 cup Cuisinart food processors.) BUT if you are someone who wants a variety of bowl sizes and blades, then I'd say the Elite would be the best choice. It's also nice that that one comes with an accessory storage case. However, I find having to unstack the small bowls housed inside the large one and get food out that gets trapped in the seams with the Elite model were an annoyance I wished to avoid. I found the custom to be too simple with a lesser motor and poor warranty and no mode specifically for dough. And the powerprep is fine but more basic as well with a lesser warranty and motor for almost the same price as the uber food processor...(the limited edition). Might be ok for those who rarely use the machine who know they won't wear out the motor. Also, Cuisinart is really going "old school" on this model to include a VHS tape with it...rather than the DVD included in the newer models. Still it's got an induction motor which is still better than the Custom and the Elite...(but the Elite has more wattage to it's motor inspite of the fact it's not an induction motor.) Final thought is for the price, the parts, the mega motor, the commercial grade and the warranty of the Limited Edition along with its ease of cleaning and stremlined look... it just pulled out ahead of the game for me.

I'm very happy with my purchase...my old food processor was working fine but had the small chute and didn't offer near what this new one does and it looks impressive on the counter even though I'm very picky about anything out on the counter in my kitchen as my kitchen is open to the living room so I have to keep it neat. The metal is attractive, the motor is SO quiet for what it is, and the chopping power is tremendous...I did a couple batches of dough already too and it makes some FINE pizza in no time because of it!

Negatives: Some complain about the new food processors having safety mechanisms that won't allow the machine to start unless everything is aligned perfectly. For me this is not a negative because the newer machines with the commercial induction motors being loose would easily chop off your head. ' And that's a kitchen mess none of us want. They aren't your mama's old school food processors that whir at a low speed...these things do all but chop logs and they'd probably do that too. I want nothing loose when this baby starts! However, the Limited Edition starting is the same as my food processor from years and years ago...you just turn the top to the right and it locks in place and you can start it, then when you want to remove the lid, push left on the top part of the handle. I thought all food processors had always been like that...at least mine were. The only difference with this new one is the blade doesnt continue spinning when you remove the plunger...but because you can now fit your hand inside with the large opening, I get it. SOMEONE would reach down and try to hold an onion to slice it thin on the blade...you know it. So now to have the large opening, the mega processors initiated this safety factor. No big deal for me.

p.s. If you buy shredded cheese, try shredding your own in the food processor...not only will you save lots of cash to help pay for the food processor, but shredded cheese is coated so it won't stick together. If you shred your own it actually tastes soooo much better and fresher, and it melts better. Same for meat--well, except the melting part! But I'm a cheese lover above all else...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an improvement..., September 27, 2009
I've owned various models of Cuisinarts for many years and have always considered them the Cadillac of food processors. Recently I gave away my DLC-2014 model to a relative and upgraded to the FP-14DC, their newest model. I'm beginning to think I may have been too hasty. The most obvious difference between the newer and older model is the design of the workbowl. Cuisinarts have always had straight-sided bowls, but the FP-14DC's bowl is flared -- wider at the top than at the bottom. Presumably the company's engineers determined that the newer design performs better -- or at least as well -- as the older design, but that hasn't been my experience. One problem is that food seems to collect in the seam between the side and bottom of the bowl much more readily than in older models. I used it the other day to chop about two cups of walnuts. When I dumped the chopped nuts out of the bowl, I saw that two or three tablespoons of walnut powder had collected and jammed in the seam. I had to use my index finger to scrape it out. Not a big deal, but annoying nevertheless. Another, more serious problem as far as I'm concerned is the newer model's dough-making performance. I've been making bread and pizza dough in a food processor for years and it's always worked great -- add the flour, water, yeast, and salt, turn the processor on, and almost immediately the dough comes together in a ball and gets kneaded as the processor spins it around the workbowl. Well, I tried my standard pizza dough recipe, which I've made hundreds of times in older models (of the same bowl capacity), and was horrified to see that the dough failed to form a ball. Instead, the machine simply plastered the dough sround the side of the bowl while the blade spun ineffectively at the bottom. I had to stop the machine and go in with a spatula to scrape down the side of the bowl and coax the dough into a ball before it would properly "catch" on the blade when the machine was turned back on. And when I finally pulled the kneaded dough out of the bowl, there was a lot left behind in the bottom-side seam as noted above. Not good. I also noticed the dough blade has reverted to being made of plastic, as it was in Cuisinarts of many years past; the blade on the previous DLC-2014 model was stainless steel. Seems like a step down in quality. I haven't had enough experience yet with the FP-14C to write it off completely, but so far I'm not impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning Considerations, December 16, 2009
I bought the 12 cup, 2 bowl, stainless steel version of this food processor. It is the one with On, Off and Pulse on the front. I've only had it a few months and I do not normally review things this soon. My main motivation in writing this review is to help existing owners with some of the cleaning quirks this food processor has and my solution.

I'm a clean freak and do not like seeing trapped particles of food in my food processor. The lid of this food processor is very well engineer to insure it doesn't leak liquids. Cuisinart has also taken careful consideration in the placing of exhaust holes throughout the unit so that water doesn't become trapped in enclosed spaces. This avoids bacterial and mold related problems. However, the same can't be said for particles of food that get trapped. I have found grated carrots to be particularly frustrating.

The lid has a neoprene gasket going around the entire circumference. This gasket is embedded into a larger and more rigid hard plastic ring. The entire structure rests on springs and is then bolted to the roof of the lid using small stainless steel screws. This allows the lid to give while the bowl always remains sealed. The only problem with this design is there is a gap of about 1/32" between the outer rim and the gasket-support that shreds of food love to get stuck in. Very aggravating until you know how to clean it out.

Acquire a heavy drinking straw from a fast food place or gas station with fountain drinks. Flute one end by cutting it length ways for about a 1/2". Think of those straws for drinking Slurpees. You can then use this as a spatula to dislodge all that gunk that gets stuck in your lid. Run soapy water through the drain holes in the top of the lid until it is sparkling clean. This greatly quickens the cleaning of the lid so you will not be reluctant to use your food processor for the smallest tasks. They should have had Hubert Keller cover this on the DVD.

Another spot you need to be aware of is a groove that is formed in the large oval feeder-shoot where it meets with the lid. Run a toothpick lightly inside this groove to remove any food stuff that collects. Press both buttons on the handle to retract the latch mechanism on the lid. There is a small compartment in the bottom of the handle where food can sometimes get stuck. A bamboo skewer for grilling vegetables would work nicely to tease out any bits of food.

The construction of the bowl is a very sturdy plastic. It is resistant to scratching but is particularly vulnerable to hard crystals like salt. After marring my bowls a few times I've started to add salt slowly to wet mixtures only while it is running. This will keep it from splashing up the sides and allows it to dissolve. If you do get some salt on the sides you can pulse it a few times to wash it back down. Worse case is just to add a little more salt to make up for any lost on the sides. Rinse the salt off the bowl with water before doing any scrubbing when cleaning. Whatever you do don't use the silicon spatula to scrape salt granules off the sides of the bowl.

This food processor is great for making dough. It will not bog down. It is also great for shredding and slicing. Freezing soft ingredients will greatly extend what you can slice or shred in this food processor. A frozen block of mozzarella is a breeze to shred. Put cubes of meat in the freezer until very firm and then slice it with this food processor for stir frying.

There is a certain amount of waste created when using this food processor. The steel chopping blade pulverizes more than it chops. A lot of waste liquid is created from all the smashing. Don't expect this to dice a tomato better than you would by hand. It is more of the nature of food processors and convenience than a flaw in design of this unit. If you are wanting to divide vegetables at a molecular level buy a professional-level ceramic chef's knife at the same price instead.

The stainless steel slicing and grating blades have two "finger holes" for holding the blades. They are handy and all, but they create an annoying flaw. Unprocessed chunks of food will fall through the holes and into your product. The food processor creates beautiful shredded carrots but there will be large chunks of raw carrots mixed throughout. This happens when the tail end of the carrot slips through one of the two gaping finger holes. I would gladly give up the finger holes to not have to sift through 12 cups of shredded carrots.

I almost gave this Cuisinart food processor a 3 out of 5 because of the finger holes and lid cleaning quirks. I appreciate how well made it is that I have learned to deal with the quirks. I really do love the food processor. I find any ridiculous excuse to use it. Just need to slice a couple of button mushrooms? Wait right there, I'll get the food processor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and very powerful food processor; great for bread!, December 5, 2009
Mary (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I didn't buy my Cuisinart Elite model FP-14DC here, but have had a model FP-14DC Cuisinart Food Processor (from a local department store) for about ten days now. Mainly I wanted to post something this soon because I carefully read all the Amazon reviews and had some reluctance in the purchase due to a worry about a seam catching and holding onto flour. So, for all those who might be thinking of a new food processor for Christmas right now and worrying about a seam problem as I did, here's how I feel about my brand new (non-seamed!) processor.

I notice now that the last person to mention a seam was posting fairly recently and did buy the unit at Amazon. A possibility: that maybe Amazon's stock in September was a bit older than what is widely available now, or at least widely available from other sources who might have smaller amounts of stock that have to be replenished more frequently than Amazon's. (This assumes that perhaps there used to be a seam but that Cuisinart must have fixed the problem with the very latest models off the assembly line.)

Anyway, I don't see any seam at all. Perhaps it's not one-piece construction, but it looks totally like one-piece plastic construction to me, just as if the whole bowl was made from a single mold. If it's made of two pieces and glued together or something like that, it is surely one fancy piece of equipment achieving the miracle of what I see here. There's clearly no problem at all here with anything to do with food not becoming incorportated due to clinging to a corner anywhere.

I'd recommend this unit to anyone needing a really large food processor. That mainly might be people who want to make bread. It does a superlative job at that. I've made the best bread ever in this new food processor. It has also done an excellent job of everything I've had the time to try it with in these ten days.

The reason to narrow the recommendation at all is that (obviously) the unit is huge; if you don't need large capacity, then you wouldn't want to take up that much room with it. It's hugely attractive in my kitchen and I like that part of it, though I'm less than crazy about the height of the unit off the counter, since I'm short. Still, I'd buy it again, and buy it again over the other unit I was seriously considering, the 14-cup Limited Edition. I do bake bread and am doing that regularly now, and I don't see how the Limited Edition could possibly be any better at it than this unit. If all the bread you ever do is just enough for a single loaf or pizza dough, you might be able to get by on a smaller model, but if you're a big bread maker, I'd strongly recommend a large model, and particularly this model.

Why this model over the Limited Edition? The motor on this one is very, very powerful and there's no strain at all with large loads, so in retrospect the main reason I was considering the Limited Edition wouldn't have been a good reason. The other thing was that the mixer attachment on the Limited Edition looked interesting and perhaps I might have used it. But not likely, considering that I have a heavy-duty mixer on a stand right on the counter next to the new food processor.

This one has three bowls, so in a way it's three food processors for the price of one. Not exactly, as you have to have the larger bowls inserted to use the smaller ones, but still better than buying three different food processors and taking up all that counter or storage space with them. The three bowls nest perfectly, so it takes up no more room than the single unit. Before seeing this new model and buying it, I was actually considering buying two new processors, one in the 14-cup range, and the other in something much smaller. (I still do have my Custom 11 Cuisinart that I've had since the 1980's, and it still does work if you push down on the top to compensate for a small piece of a plastic lip that got broken.) I guess Cuisinart must have heard the same set of wishes from other longtime users of their food processors? Anyway, it felt as if Cuisinart knew exactly what I was looking for when I first saw the new unit with its three bowls. You can partially make up for not having the ideal number of bowls by good planning, but not always, and I didn't always see the way I should have planned until I thought up the next item in the meal--after having already used the bowl & blade for what ideally should have been the second use of the bowl, not the first.

Another thing Cuisinart fixed in this new design is an ability to lock down the blade. Apparently it's the only 14-cup unit that does that. I've always wished for something like that with my old processor. It's not perfect--I don't think the dough blade will lock--but the bowl is so roomy the chances of having the dough push the blade up and run far up inside the blade mount are greatly reduced. The dough blade isn't totally clean on the inside after use, but the clinging food is so near the opening that it's not hard to clean. The non-dough blades are basically whistle perfect on the inside and pose no cleaning problem whatsoever; the dishwasher can take care of everything. My old blades were always in horrible, horrible shape for cleaning after using them, often requiring intensive hand cleaning. What was even worse was the mess of dough or processed food with the largest loads pushing the blade up so far and oozing up and over onto the unit itself, and down onto the kitchen counter sometimes too (ugh). So I think of this new processor as a sort of miracle design, and it's not available on any other Cuisinart model. One note: the dough blade fits only in the large bowl, but with my old processor if you had smaller amounts of dough, you were supposed to use the regular blade, not the dough blade. I'd guess that with a small amount of dough, you could just use the regular blade in the 11-cup (medium) bowl in this one too.

I like having the storage unit that comes with it for the blades, etc. I would have had to buy something separate--another cost--if I'd gone with the Limited Edition instead of this one. Overall, it's an expensive unit, but packs a lot of value into its cost, with its three bowls, its adjustable slicing disk and its two-sided shredding disk (two degrees of fineness there). With my old unit, I ended up having to order extra disks for slicing and shredding to offer variety in sizes; with this unit, that flexibility comes with it. With the old unit, I never got around to ordering a storage unit for all the blades and that was one big mess (and maybe a dangerous mess) for one of my kitchen drawers. I couldn't have gotten away with that with all the extras coming with this unit, so if a storage container hadn't come with the unit, I'd have to have bought one. I'm grateful for having a food processor that comes with everything I'm likely to need.

Another good thing about this processor is the DVD it comes with. Rather long--longer than just the initial portion, which is also available on the Cuisinart web site on the page with this model--but well worth watching in its entirety. I usually don't pay attention to recipe booklets, etc. that come with equipment, but this one was different; the persons on the video actually do know something about cooking. I intend to use some of those recipe ideas sometime too; they all look good.

I'm not used to using the unit yet, so I'm nowhere close to using it so quickly and efficiently as the second cook on the video, the professional who generated most (or maybe all) of the recipes contained in the booklet. She demonstrates making a signifcant number of those recipes, and it's well worth watching even if you never intend to use any new recipes; it'll get you into the habit of using your new food processor a little differently than the ways you might have grown used to with your old unit. For instance, I paid attention to the method she used for bread, and decided to try it her way, which was the opposite of what I'd always done. I'd guess that some people who have trouble with the dough not working up well and not cleaning itself off the bowl sides are doing it my old way. Instead of specifying that method now, I'd ask you to watch the entire DVD; there's _lots_ there that will help you to get used to this new food processor.

If you buy this one, I hope you enjoy using yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Mary

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, March 25, 2010
I did a lot of research before purchasing this food processor, and read all of the Amazon reviews many times over, in addition to reviews all over the internet. I also spoke with the customer service folks at Cuisinart, who were very helpful. I considered this a good sign. One of the complaints I read about was that dough will get caught up inside the dough blade, and the customer service rep readily told me this is their most common complaint with this unit. This was a major concern to me. This unit has the most powerful motor, with the longest warranty, so that was the big draw for me. Also, with other units, by the time I purchased extra blades and discs, and a storage case, the cost quickly rose way above the price on this one. I loved the idea of the extra bowls, but wasn't sure it was enough of a reason to purchase the unit. I bake a lot of bread, and make other doughs frequently, so I needed to know this unit would do the job, and hold up. The rep assured me it would, so I decided the blade cleaning was a minor point.

The unit arrived two days after I ordered it, which was amazing. I watched the DVD, which is extremely helpful, and put the unit to work the same day. I chopped and sliced to my hearts content, with perfect results. Just like on the video. I wanted to try most of the features, in case I needed to return it for some reason. I made bread the next day, and could not believe how well it worked for me, and much to my amazement the blade didn't have much to clean at all. There was jut a little flour inside, and it was very easy to remove. None of the sticky stuff went up in there.

I had also read that this unit is really big, so I measured it out on my cabinet, and still imagined it larger than the measurements. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a monster, and yes it's heavy, but it needs to be to do heavy kneading. I plan to leave it out and use it every day, and I think it's a lovely addition to my kitchen.

I think it's important to follow directions on any new unit. I did, and the results are wonderful. I can't say enough good things about his unit, so I'll just stop here. Don't hesitate on this one...get it! You will love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design and would not recommend, December 19, 2009
Hubby dearest bought this food processor as a Christmas present in late 2009. At first I was very pleased with the food processor. Now I am not.

Earlier this month the food processor bowl tabs broke while grating cheese. I followed the directions given and the bowl broke. I sent the bowl back and waited for a new bowl to arrive. Cuisinart, unlike KitchenAid, does not immediately send out a replacement part so I was without a food processor. You have to send the part back and then a new one is sent out to replace it.

Today, I went to use the food processor to make a half batch of cookie dough. The food processor started up, ran just fine until the dough began to turn into dough, meaning a bit more force was required to complete mixing the dough. Mind you I used 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 3/4 cup butter for the cookie dough. This should not have affected the food processor in any way as it was within specified amounts given by Cuisinart.

I managed to finish the task by holding onto the back tab of the food processor cover.

I called Cuisinart and we are back to square one. Send in the part, wait for another, and go without a food processor for another couple weeks.

Based on product and customer service performance I do NOT recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars One major con, January 12, 2011
On researching this food processor the Cuisinart customer service rep admitted that, whereas the older DLC series used BPA (Bisphenol A) free plastics the Elite series went back to using plastics which contain this plasticizer which is well documented for cause infertility and possibly other health affects.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email and regret for the delay in reply. Our new series are not BPA free. However, we had a some models in the past that were BPA free. For more information please call our toll free number 1-800-472-7606 and a CSR will be happy to assist.

Best Regards,
CSR/PB"

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic at first blush, January 24, 2010
I purchased this for my wife for Christmas. First impression - it over-delivers!

I am not a professional chef, but have been a professional carpenter. So I appreciate a good tool. This one is everything I expected it to be at first impression. The brushed metal finish is good looking. The bowls are heavy plastic and feel like they'll last a long time. And when in use, there is no shortage of power from the motor. It's quiet, and feels like it's not even working up a sweat.

I have used it only two times so far, once for some BBQ sauce, and once for bread. Both times, awesome.

I used the fine grating disk to shred two full onions for the sauce. I quartered the onions, and they were grated in 5 seconds. I then dumped in a few cups of ketchup and some of the other spices and used the cutting blade to puree. Smooth sauce in another 15 seconds. And the 14 C capability is marvelous.

The bread as well. I just followed the Cuisinart recipe for Classic White Bread. I followed the directions exactly, and the dough rolled up into a perfect, soft wet ball inside, and kneaded perfectly for 45 seconds. I have read a review where the user was not happy with the bread making feature.

My observation is that the flaw may have been with the technique, and not the machine. I started with the flour in the 14 C bowl, and slowly added the water until it got to the right consistency. Of course if you over-do the liquid, it's going to turn out too sticky just as bread dough mixed in a bowl does with too much water. The solution is a little more flour of course.

Overall, first impression is a 5. The blade storage box is ingenious and works great. Clean-up is a snap if you finish what you're doing and then give it a quick brush with a bristled scrub brush and some warm soapy water.

I would highly recommend this machine to anyone interested in purchasing a food processor.

4.0 out of 5 stars I use it more than I anticipated., January 26, 2010
R. C. Henke (Ft. Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
I use this processor a lot more than I thought I would. I really value having good knife skills and being able to do things w/o the advantage of electrical machines but it's been really fun using this machine and it's produced very good results.

I've never had a food processor before so I have no idea how the older models worked, in short, I think this food processor does what it's supposed to do. I got the processor for Christmas 2009, since then I have used it for pizza dough, flakey pie dough & crumb crusts, hummus, guacamole, soup, sliced potatoes & other vegetables, shredded cheese, shredded vegetables, and chopped various veggies for various uses. In all of these applications I believe that it has worked wonderfully & how I had anticipated a processor to work. However, I would rather use my immersion blender for soups- it's just easier and produces the same quality.

I really like all of the accessories so that I can use it for multiple tasks w/o having to wash a bowl in between. I love the dial a slice- think paper thin radishes or cucumbers done in lightning fast speed. The accessory holder is very useful for storing everything and keeping it all clean while not in use. The machine runs quiet & is stored on the counter under the cabinets (I put it on a dish cloth so I can slide it back & forth). I was surprised by the size but it just took a little time to get used to seeing it.

As far as washing goes I don't think it's a hassle (I don't like doing dishes either) & I like to keep it looking as new as possible- it usually just takes some soapy water and a rinse. The first time I shredded carrots on the fine grater some of the bits got stuck between the lid and the gasket on the lid. I thought that it would be difficult to get those bits unstuck but all I had to do was run water through the vents on top of the lid and depress the gasket a few times and everything was flushed out.

Now I am always looking forward to the next application I can use the processor for.