Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

on August 20, 2010
I love the Cuisinart FP-12DC Elite Collection 12-Cup Food Processor, Die Cast food processor like it's my own child.

I'm vegan and about half my food is raw, so I am hard on a processor. I use it at least a few times a week, and have used it for everything from pureeing chunky raw veggies to mixing and kneading seitan (a REALLY tough wheat gluten-based dough). The shredding disc works very well, though it does leave chunks from the ends that sometimes slip through (the same thing has happened with every food processor I've ever owned). Despite what the description says, the grater blade IS reversible for a large or small grate. The slicing disc is AMAZING. I used it to do about 4 pounds of thinly-scalloped potatoes, and it took less than 5 minutes. It's a safe alternative to a mandoline slicer, too - no getting fingertips in your meals.

I absolutely love having the 4-cup bowl for smaller servings of hummus, guacamole, nut butters, and tahini that wouldn't reach the blade in the large bowl. I will never buy a single-bowl food processor again! The lid seals water-tight, and has held up to gazpacho, shredded beets, nutritional yeast sauce, and a lot of other things that tend to make an unholy mess of my kitchen.

The one complaint I have about it is that you can't remove the larger feed slot while the blade is running. I'm sure that's for safety reasons and to prevent splatter, and as I was using the slicer disc at the time, it was a quick workaround to slide the tube out, set a potato on the blade, then slide it back; the motor automatically turns on again as soon as the tube is in place.

I've only had it for a couple months, so we'll see how long it lasts. But the real reason I chose this machine is the 3-year motor and 10-year parts warranty, because I tend to beat the crap out of my appliances. I'll follow up if/when it breaks and how the customer service is regarding replacement.

Aesthetically, it's sleek and gorgeous on my countertop, which is good because the base is ridiculously heavy and there's no way I would lift it in and out of a cupboard every day. It just feels really well made and of high quality. I love this thing!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2011
This appliance is behomoth in size, heavy and poorly designed. I had an old model Cuisinart that I bought second hand for years and I loved it. But, some of the parts were starting to crack so I invested in this model. What a disappointment! The grating disc leaves behind large chunks of food that are impossible to grate--there's too much space between the lid and the disc to get everything. The lid is difficult to clean--there are too many places where food can get caught and then are difficult to get out. The size and weight alone is enough to discourage me from using it.
on January 26, 2010
I use this processor a lot more than I thought I would. I really value having good knife skills and being able to do things w/o the advantage of electrical machines but it's been really fun using this machine and it's produced very good results.

I've never had a food processor before so I have no idea how the older models worked, in short, I think this food processor does what it's supposed to do. I got the processor for Christmas 2009, since then I have used it for pizza dough, flakey pie dough & crumb crusts, hummus, guacamole, soup, sliced potatoes & other vegetables, shredded cheese, shredded vegetables, and chopped various veggies for various uses. In all of these applications I believe that it has worked wonderfully & how I had anticipated a processor to work. However, I would rather use my immersion blender for soups- it's just easier and produces the same quality.

I really like all of the accessories so that I can use it for multiple tasks w/o having to wash a bowl in between. I love the dial a slice- think paper thin radishes or cucumbers done in lightning fast speed. The accessory holder is very useful for storing everything and keeping it all clean while not in use. The machine runs quiet & is stored on the counter under the cabinets (I put it on a dish cloth so I can slide it back & forth). I was surprised by the size but it just took a little time to get used to seeing it.

As far as washing goes I don't think it's a hassle (I don't like doing dishes either) & I like to keep it looking as new as possible- it usually just takes some soapy water and a rinse. The first time I shredded carrots on the fine grater some of the bits got stuck between the lid and the gasket on the lid. I thought that it would be difficult to get those bits unstuck but all I had to do was run water through the vents on top of the lid and depress the gasket a few times and everything was flushed out.

Now I am always looking forward to the next application I can use the processor for.
on February 7, 2010
Allow me to preface this by saying that the only food processor I've used before this, was the Cuisinart mini (3 cups) that I bought as an attachment to my stand mixer. For starters, this 1,00 watt powerhouse is quieter!! Having three bowls of varying sizes is wonderful, and even better because they nest, and with my very limited space (my whole kitchen is 8' x 8'), that means not having to find a place to hide them. And because I keep this baby on my counter (it's big, but not as huge as some reviewers have made it sound), and because it's right there, it gets used, and frequently. Same kudos for the storage box included, for the blades. I now never have to rummage in a kitchen drawer to try and find the blade I need, and now there's no risk of accidentally slicing myself because a blade is hidden when I'm rummaging. I keep the box on my counter too, and it's so convenient.

Today, I used the adjustable slicing blade for the first time, and not only didn't I wind up with burning, crying eyes from the onions I sliced, they came out a nice, uniform size (I set the blade for *2*), and that's something I've never been able to accomplish by hand.

I can't address the dough blade, because I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet, so I'll leave that to others.

I've been a Cuisinart fan for years, and this food processor just convinces me I will be a Cuisinart fan for many more years to come. Heck, with a 20 year warrantee on the motor, it will probably outlive me.
review image review image review image
on February 20, 2010
I brought this a day ago and today was my first day using it....I started out by making some breadcrumbs.....they came out beautiful and I was very impressed...but later on I went on to chop some herbs for a vinaigrette...and while it made a lovely dressing...when I went to go clean the top the nightmare began...there were pieces of chopped herbs stuck up in the top...the new design is such that there is a seal to prevent leaks when processing liquids...which is great....but things get stuck up in there....and while there are tiny "vent" type holes on the top I assume for purging with water??...it doesn't work....I washed that top FOREVER..... and still there were pieces of herb in there....I'm concerned about when I go to grind up meat!! am I going to have pieces of meat that I can't get out????? I know the people at Cuisinart saw this FLAW how could they not???? you can't miss it when you're trying to clean it....they could have at least installed some type of antibacterial material around there...or sealed it better to prevent food from being able to lodge up in there....I don't know if I should keep the machine....it cost me 300 bucks!!! I'm so torn because other than that FLAW....I really like it....darn it Cusinart!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2012
I have had this food processor since April 2011 and the more I have it the more disappointed I am with the overall quality.

I called Cuisinart the first time because the machine continually overheated when I made almond butter, which is what I got it for in the first place. I had returned a lesser model- it overheated also- and got this one. I finally figured out the right amount of food (2 cups less than the recommended maximum amount) and have learned to "live" with how long it even takes to make almond butter (maybe 20 minutes) which seems like a long time. I asked them about this also.

Then I called Cuisinart in the fall because of how annoying and time consuming it is to clean the bowl cover. The girl said that's just the way they are made.

Last month topped it off: the light shone a certain way and I saw food particles inside the bowl handle. I was so upset. This is unsanitary and who knows what sort of thing grows in there. There is no way to clean inside the handle. I called Cuisinart and they did send a new bowl however; it is made the exact same way. I look carefully each time I use it to see if food particles are in the handle.

Today after I used it and was drying the lid I noticed a lot of particles inside of it, not just a few but a lot more than I will be able to clean. They are stuck way in the top of the lid. This is frightening because of the bacteria that may be living in it.

I truly am disappointed that a piece of kitchen equipment like this is even on the market. Aren't there standards in the food industry? There must be a government organization that needs to look at home appliances; what do they say? Do they even know?

I invested in this machine because it was "top of the line" and now I am very sorry, especially since I see Costco is selling the same machine for almost half of what I paid for it at Amazon.com. I really feel cheated, not only in the investment I made, but in the trust I had in Cuisinart. Guess that was my mistake.

I will most assuredly rate this at the lowest possible on Amazon and post this e-mail there as well. Cuisinart engineers, what is up? Why would you design this product and not think about getting it clean and sanitary? And if this is wrong and it is fine to have a machine with food particles that cannot be cleaned out then please let me know.

I hope whoever gets this e-mail sends it to the top people because they need to know about this sad, unsanitary, unclean machine.

Disappointed and looking for a different manufacturer.
-Former Cuisinart fan
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2011
After reading numerous reviews for this and other food processors on Amazon, I was extremely happy with this quiet monster - the versatility of it and its ability to prepare healthy meals in minutes blew me away. I have read the negative reviews regarding the lid collecting food particles and the difficulty in cleaning it. I have also read suggestions for moving the rubber gasket around as you let the water rain into the slits at the top, and it worked great in removing all food particles! HOWEVER, after just a few months using this product, the part between the rubber gasket and the plastic top, began growing mold. I have always ensured I leave the lid out to dry, but it was not enough, and my lid is now completely moldy! I have contacted the Cuisinart customer service. They informed me that they get numerous calls regarding the dirt and/or mold in the lid. Despite numerous complaints, they maintain that it is NOT a manufacturer's defect?! So, my only option after spending $200 on this product only a few months ago, is to spend another $60 on the replacement lid. Which will again grow mold in a few months? I am extremely disappointed with the customer service, and this product is now not safe to use in food prep.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2012
I gave away this processor after 6 months of disappointment, and purchased another Cuisinart DFP-14 14-Cup Food Processor - the old style model. I should have done this the first time; my old one lasted 15 years. After a week in which I made bread in this one and grated a lot of Parmesan, I had had it.
I hated this model for all the reasons others have listed - the lid doesn't stay latched, I hated the gasket which was impossible to get clean, the shredder blade let big chunks of food fall through the big finger-holes in it, it actually didn't do bread as well as the DFP-14, it bounced all over my cabinet! The extra bowl was useless - you had to clean both bowls then!
Don't waste your money.
on January 10, 2011
The safety interlock failed a few months after we bought it. Too late to return it but under warranty. I called Cuisinart and they told me the part would be replaced and not to use the unit in the meantime as it wasn't safe to bypass the safety interlock. It's now the middle of January and I'm still waiting to hear. A second call gave me the same answer - part not in and no ETA available. Well, we had Thanksgiving and Christmas to deal with and we cook a lot. How's that for service? I expect they're having a lot of problems with this unit since the design is quite complex and looks to maybe have been designed by their legal department (product liability lawyers). They may be scurrying around trying to re-engineer it, or maybe Cuisinart is about to go bankrupt... again. At any rate our next processor will certainly not be from Cuisinart.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2011
There are already over 100 perfect "5" score reviews here, so I won't rehash most of the many great features of this wonderful kitchen tool.

I use this at least once a day. It is a POWERFUL workhorse in the kitchen. I am amazed by it's versatility and its DURABILITY.

I noticed that some of the negative reviews have a common complaint - that the there is a leaking problem if you fill the bowl with too much liquid. The line that is marked on the bowl by Cuisinart isn't that accurate (even if you don't fill beyond that line, you can still have a leaking problem). Here's what I do to avoid leaking problems. I just filled my bowl with water and found out exactly how much liquid that I could put into the bowl without having a leaking problem. Then I just remember to keep my liquids lower than that level. The result is that the unit does not leak. The leak problem seems to be pretty common to all brands of food processors, not just Cuisinart. Just read the reviews on the other brands and you read the same complaints.

Also, some folks mention that food gets under the seal in the lid. Let me be clear. This is an EASY appliance to clean. Yes it gets dirty. Just rinse it and chunk it into the dishwasher and it will come out clean. I have washed this unit HUNDREDS of times. Daily. Sometimes more than once a day. I've had NO problems at all with cleaning. It's a breeze to clean this unit.

This food processor is the most useful appliance in my kitchen except for my stove. I use it a ton. I have processed some foods that would quickly KILL a lessor unit. This one never misses a beat. It's a workhorse. Best money I have ever spent for a kitchen appliance. It will probably be going strong, long after I'm in the grave :-)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...