5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Useful And Easy to Clean
Update: 6/26/2014. I've now owned this food processor for 3 years and still love it and the comments in my original review (below) still stand. I would highlight bread making as my favorite activity. I don't have a standard mixer so I use the food processor to mix and knead the bread. I now make 3 baguettes every Monday morning and use them throughout the week...
Published on February 7, 2011 by scgrant

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment
I had the original Cuisinart for home use and have been using a Custom 11 for at least 15 years. The multi-bowl, locking blade, and reversible/adjustable discs on the 14-cup Elite totally hooked me. After seeing a TV ad and doing some online research, I just couldn't order fast enough. While those features are nice, the most important thing is how the machine functions...
Published on December 4, 2010 by Home Hunter 808

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 566 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken after five uses, October 1, 2013
This review is from: Cuisinart FP-14DC Elite Collection 14-Cup Food Processor, Die Cast (Kitchen)
The only "elite" property of this device is its rapidity of breakdown. I was making a very soft dough when the motor died. According to other reviews this is standard, and Cuisinart will do just about anything to avoid or charge for repairs.

The ergonomics are an atrocity. It took all my strength to fasten the cover to the bowl. My wife would not have been able to do so. The middle work bowl is extremely difficult to remove -- I could only accomplish this by prizing it from the larger bowl with a screwdriver.

It is difficult to understand how Cuisinart could allow this out of its factory doors. Even more difficult to understand why Amazon would keep selling it;

2.0 out of 5 stars There is a serious design problem with this food processor., April 28, 2012
Sam "CDx" (Tampa Bay, FL) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this food processor - and it is absolutely awesome as far as usability and power. However - the seal on the lid IS NOT removable and food does get up behind it.
This is a serious health risk - especially when dealing with raw meats.

While the seal works great because it is spring loaded - it seems impossible to not get food up behind the seal - even when carefully removing the lid. I've used it five times now - and each time - food has climbed it's way up there somehow.

They have provided a tool to help dislodge food that gets stuck up there - but I feel this is an inadequate solution to what I would consider a somewhat easy design accommodation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart FP-14DC Elite (14 cup food processor), January 4, 2011
Orian (Okinawa, Japan) - See all my reviews
No product can do everything perfectly. No matter what the description may say. The Cuisinart Elite 14 cup is a great machine for chopping, shredding, and mixing. And here comes the "but"...

But, making dough is not one of it's strengths. After reading previous reviews telling how the dough gets stuck in the angles of the cups, I thought "I can deal with that". But, what actually happens when you mix dough is that it seeps UNDER the dough blade (which is NOT sealed when attached to the drive shaft), through the shaft aperture and all the way to the base of the spindle. What a MESS!

Working with liquids... well, same thing. Some of it always seeps around the blades and makes a mess of the base around the spindle... as when I made my own salsa and pizza sauce.

Chopping veggies, herbs and spices.... great job. Anything relatively dry... great job. As soon as you work with very liquid ingredients... expect a mess as it WILL happen.

I expected better from Cuisinart - especially from a product labeled "elite". The dough blade is NOT stainless even though the description (depending on how you read the punctuation) leads you to believe it is. And, does not form any kind of seal with the drive mechanism. This is what allows fluids to creep around them to make the mess.

EDIT: Two years later. And it is still going strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars 14 cup food processer, January 21, 2010
I purchased model #FP-14DC food processor for my wifes birthday. She previously had a cuisinart 11 cup that my mother bought for her 31 years ago. Now that's quality!! The old one was still working, but would get "tired after a few minutes of mixing dough. Ya could hear the moter lugging down, but it still was working!!

This one has been used only a few times so far, but has preformed wonderfully. What she really likes about the new one, is that it has 3 mixing bowls that comes with it, and a storage case for the blades & discs. We hope to have this one for another 30 or so years as we did the last one, & I'm sure we will.

One other wonderful feature of this model is the warranty on the motor. It has a 20 year warranty on the motor!!! Now that is something you won't find on many other processors. Cuisinart stands behind their machines with warrantys like that!!

Amazon delivered this item with amazing speed and with an amazing price. We have NOTHING NEGATIVE to say about Cuisinart or Amazon concerning this purchase. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Anyone that is looking for an amazing food processor should jump on this model.

2.0 out of 5 stars cleaning issues, December 22, 2010
Richard Macha (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
My problem with the elite series is the lid to bowl design. The gasket cannot be removed. Food gets trapped and I have not found a way to completely clean. I made pesto in the mini bowl and after spending time repeatedly trying to clean, substantial residue remained.

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have looked at the negatives first, September 29, 2013
Got this at macy's last month and will return this month.The motor has a lot of power and will make thick shakes but when pulsing tomatoes it overheats and has to cool for 10 minutes befor continuing.Overheated 3 times while making salsa.After reading reviews seems like cuisanart wont back the 10 year motor warranty.I will get the 399.00 breville from breville themselves.They send an RMA for warranty and cuisanart charges both ways.A warranty is worthless if it isn't backed up.Yes food gets stuck in the lid like everyone else says.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far I am very impressed., March 2, 2011
So far I am very impressed with my new Cuisinart Elite 14C food processor. It is elegant, looks really nice on my counter, and very quiet. I just got my food processor today and can hardly wait to start making tons of amazing dishes with it. For my first go around I shredded some carrots for a carrot salad. It did a really nice job although there were a bit of carrot pieces left that got caught between the shred disk and the lid as well as some pieces in the bowl, but no biggee.

Clean up was a real cinch. I didn't find food got caught in the lead seal as a few people commented.

I love the nested bowl configuration. One user commented it was a bit hard to figure out how to line the bowls up, but once you see the trick, it's pretty easy. There is a small spout on each bowl, the spout is in the rear of the processor in the middle of the bowl. The bowls have three pegs that fit into each other. All you need to do is line up the spout on all three bowls and your good to go.

I love the retractable chord as well. It made storage a breeze. Although it is large, and I have the smallest counter in the world, it looks so good I keep it next to my kitchen-aid stand mixer and my Wolfgang wheat mill.

I am not disappointed in this purchase at all. I also like the fact that it is $50 less than in retail stores and I didn't have to pay sales tax!

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it (until the motor burnt out 1 year later), November 21, 2012
We loved this food processor..it made out food preparation (especially around the holidays) a snap...that was, until it quit running while chopping earlier today, followed by the faint smell of burning insulation. VERY INCONVENIENT right before Thanksgiving, and just over a year after purchasing on Amazon. We do not use it heavily, and it had a light load in it when it died. THE INCONVENIENCE CONTINUES when you call Cuisinart Customer Service and they tell you that you are responsible for sending this brick to New Jersey to have it serviced. Probably I should just cut my losses and buy something else, but I may take my chances and send it in. Either way, I am out of a food processor for this year's Thanksgiving, and the money it will cost to ship it in for service. UNACCEPTABLE for a higher end product--would think twice before buying a Cuisinart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything the wife wanted in a food processor, June 25, 2010
The wife has wanted a food processor for years and when I gave her this top of the line food processor, she was excited. Now that she has used it a number of times, she likes it even more than when she first took it out of the box. And I like it a lot because the wife loves to cook and I love to eat! On a product and mechanical basis, I was impressed with the instruction book and video that accompanied the food processor. For a novice such as me and my wife, it was indispensable. And the product is everything we expected it to be from the reviews we read on the Internet. We are not disappointed in any way with the food processor and would recommend it to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had high hopes, now have mixed feelings, June 15, 2011
I bought Cuisinart FP-14DC Elite food processor primarily to have an automatic way of making a home made mayonnaise, and to be able to shred pounds and pounds of cheese quickly and easily. I was also hoping to try and make dough some day, and perhaps shred some veggies. However, dough and veggies are not high on my priority list as I am not into home made dough yet, and veggies are typically faster and easier to shred or cut by hand; hence, so far I have no experience with this food processor in that regard. By the time my wife assembles this thing, I am done cutting vegetables which is why we never used it for that. I might try dough some day when I am in a really good mood.

However, making a mayonnaise without some type of a processor is no fun. You have to add oil drop by drop by drop by drop... ad nauseum. A quart of mayo may take half an hour easily. Standing in the kitchen whille doing that is no fun, so when I read that this thing can be used to make mayonnaise, I jumped with joy (especially since it is one of the rare units which comes with a little hole in the pusher so that it can be used as an oil dripper).

Today I tried it for the first time, and was disapointed from the start. I don't remember what the instruction booklet recommends, but I noticed that plastic blades do not go all the way to the edge of the bowl. Therefore, I had to use metal blades which do go all the way otherwise there would be unspent ingredients around the bowl.
I put the ingredients, and put oil in the drippper. The dripper leaks oil too fast - there is a constant stream out of it, and it does not allow sufficient time for the mayo to be emulsified. I fixed that issue by sticking a plastic fork tine in the hole (take a disposable plastic fork, brake all tines on it except the middle one, and stick it in the hole - now the oil will drip slowly). Once that was solved, the mayo started looking better (this was now the second batch). However, the power of blades throws ingredients around, and the middle part, which is where the oil drips, stays full of oil (this can be observed by pulling the dripper out of the shute). This is no good, and does not allow for proper mixing. I wish that whoever designed this thing at least tried to make a really good mayo with it. Yes, one could make somewhat decent small batch of mayo with it, but that can be done by hand too without all the cleanup that follows with using such a big food processor. If you want a larger batch of firm mayonnaise, you can't get it with this machine, especially not with it being used the way it is designed to be used.

It took about 15 minutes of mixing to mix 6 egg yolds and about a cup of oil; that is unacceptably long. I transfered that into a mixing bowl and continued mixing with my cheap handmixer (which happens to be a $250W Sunbeam standup mixer which costs around $70 and has an extra high speed which comes in handy for mayonnaise). The Sunbeam finished the rest half a quart of oil in about 5 minutes. And the mayonnaise was much firmer than the first batch which was mostly done in this processor (about half a quart in it, and last cup with the hand mixer). In addition this Cuisinart processor got quite hot during all this. I think that if it was truly capable of mixing a mayonnaise in an efficient manner, it would not get hot.

One other thing we tried was something we do very often: shred (all kinds) of cheese. We love our home made pizza, and therefore need to shred cheese very often: usually mozarrela, but sometimes we add some romano and even gouda. Some time ago I had an opportunity to see how a professional pizza maker prepares his ingredients, including shredding cheese. He uses cheese which is frozen and an industrial grade shredder. I made sure my cheese was quite hard (from the freezer), and started shredding. It became immediately apparent that what I saw in that pizza place was not going to happen in my kitchen using Cuisinart food processor. While the professional machine has no trouble cutting small, thin slices of cheese with its wheel (the more frozen the cheese, the finer the cut; but it could shred unfrozen cheese as well, only the shreds would be thicker), this Cuisinart is struggling in every respect. My impression is that poor design of the shredding wheel is to blame. The wheel is really not capable of shredding; it is only thanks to the machines relatively strong motor as well as my effort to push the cheese through the processor, that cheese was prcoessed. However, rather then being shredded, it was more ripped into small balls. The wheel is so dull that before it cuts the cheese it really melts it due to friction and lack of cutting, and the results were inferior to shredding by hand; actually, the resulting "shredded" cheese was barely usable at all. That was enough to make us never want to use it for shredding again. The shredding wheel is hopelessly dull; it really is just a wheel with protruding holes, nothing sharp about it. Compared to a hand shredder, which is usually responsible for small cuts and scrapes on my fingers, this wheel is harmless; so much so that it is useless. It has holes, and they have no sharpness to them at all - I touched them with my fingers and was surprised that they were completely dull; it feels like they were never even meant to be shart, just holes, that's all.

The last test we did was to try to make a home made chicken pate. Surprisingly , this worked like a charm. The pate was done in a matter of seconds and the consistency was really nice and smooth, much better than what I would get with a 4 cup Cuisinart processor/chopper. That was the only good news about this thing (otherwise the small 4 cup Cuisinart beats this big one in the mayonnaise department by miles - at least for that first cup!).

I wonder if getting the wisk tool for this procesor would help with mayonnaisee... perhaps it would. But even then, this processor would suck in cheese shredding department which is what I need... so I think on average the purchase was a waste of money and effort. Too bad, as I had high hopes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 566 | Next ›