Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cuisinart GTF Gold Tone Filter
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size: Set Of 1|Color: Gold|Change
Price:$7.30+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on December 12, 2005
I have used this filter with my Grind-n-Brew for 2 years. I put it in the dishwasher at least twice and have never had any problems with it. I have no idea what these other reviewers are doing wrong, but I love this filter. I never have grounds in my coffee. There is always a little darker/thicker coffee in the bottom of a good cup of coffee!

As for price, $20 is NOT the actual price for this filter. $10 is the "real" price, so you are not getting a deal on Amazon especially when you add shipping (unless you are getting free shipping). I have seen the same $10 filter at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Ace Hardware, and Publix.

Overall, if you enjoy a good cup of coffee and do not want to put the chemicals added to paper filters in your body, buy this coffee filter!
33 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2007
what can you say about a replacement filter? it works, fits just right and is cheap. kind of like my husband.
77 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2005
The first one I had I frequently put in the dishwasher and it lasted a little over a year, so I will hand wash this one. The price here is the same as the manufacturer's site, but for now you save on the shipping.
on August 24, 2012
I give this 4 starts because it works perfectly for what I wanted it to do, which is to hold the paper size 4 cone filter properly in place. However I would not be happy with it if I were using it as a stand-alone filter because of the large amount of sediment which passes through into the coffee, as I will explain. I was tired of brewing coffee only to find the the paper filter had collapsed and coffee grounds passed freely into the coffee pot. I began searching to see if there was a product made to support the paper filters so that they could not collapse, and found none, but came across this item and decided to try it.

It works (for me) by placing this permanent filter INSIDE a regular size 4 paper cone filter, then placing it inside the brewing compartment in my coffee pot (Giada Programmable Coffee Maker) and filling it with coffee grounds and brewing as usual. This solves the problem of the paper filter shifting.

I read reviews that indicated it was too tall for a coffee maker to be able to close properly. I can't imagine this happening since it is still slightly shorter than the paper filter once it is placed inside my coffee pot- so if a #4 cone filter fits your machine, this should work. One thing I would note is that because it is a more rigid item than a paper filter, you must wiggle it side to side, and/or spin it slightly as you insert it into the brewing compartment for it to properly "seat" down to the bottom.

I rinse it daily and thoroughly wash it occasionally. I have been using it daily for about six months now with no signs of wear at all.

The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I believe this item is marketed as a replacement to paper filters and is intended to be used on its own. However, there is a LOT of sediment that will pass through (assuming you use a standard size grind- like from the supermarket). I understand that some people like their coffee to have this sediment and that it is a trade off they are willing to endure for "better tasting coffee." However it seems excessive to me. Therefore, I have posted an image of my paper filter which, as you recall, I use underneath this filter when I brew coffee, so that you can make in informed decision about this Gold Tone filter's capabilities with respect to what you intend to use it for.

If you are just tired of the collapsing paper filters, and don't mind using both filters simultaneously (i.e using this permanent filter for support), then I highly recommend this product.
review image review image
44 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2015
I've been using this coffee filter almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day since September and I am very pleased with it.
I needed a little coffee filter that was affordable, strong and very finely meshed so I could minimize coffee grit passing through the screen.

This filter is pretty great for all of that. I do find that it does allow a little coffee sediment to pass through, very minimal, but I think this is actually a result of me grinding my beans too fine...so I don't think it should get dinged a star because of user error.

I don't use my filter in a coffee maker. I use it as it is as a fine mesh sieve for teas, coffee etc.

Mostly coffee, lots of coffee, ALL the coffffeeeee, haha :)
I am a fan of iced coffees and have tried many variations on making it. Last year I read about the Japanese iced coffee brew method. Basically you pour boiling hot water over coffee grounds, the coffee drips through directly on to ice immediately cooling and preserving the flavours released from the hot water etc.
Anyhoo I wanted to try that but not pay a small fortune for a dedicated Japanese iced coffee brew device, at least not yet. Sometimes you just want to try something.

This filter is very affordable and it works exactly as I want.
I fill a wide mouth mason jar with lots of ice, set my filter full of ground coffee in the top and slowly pour over the boiling water.
If you try this use caution, brace the filter if it seems wobbly or whatever.
Takes a few minutes, I usually pour, walk away and putter aroundm, go back and pour more water let it drip etc.

It's worth it.
The iced coffee is brewed to perfection, very smooth, the filter does it's job.
Worth the very small investment.

Despite several months of heavy use I see no wear on the filter, no rips or anything. I suspect it will last a long time.
review image review image
on November 18, 2006
I've had this filter for almost two years now. I usually hand wash it, but it holds up to the dishwasher as well. The only complaint I have is that it has a tendency to get grounds caught in the bottom of the filter, where the plastic joins the screen. Overall, I've been very happy with this filter, and if it wears out, I plan on replacing it with another Cuisinart.
on March 6, 2007
I purchased the Cuisinart 4 cup filter after purchasing the 4 cup coffee pot. (Thanks to one of the coffee pot reviews recommending it).

I believe it's a "must have". It's the perfect size filter, and you never have to worry about running out of filters. And if that isn't enough....it's environmentally "friendly".
on February 12, 2007
Ah, my new gold tone filter is the envy of all my friends (well, one of them at least)! With over 58,000 holes, you can be assured no course grounds of coffee will sink to the bottom of your carafe, leaving a layer of coffee unworthy of drinking. You won't catch any floaters in your carafe either. What does this mean? This means you won't drink your savory cup of coffee not realizing these little pesky floaters. You won't get that scratchy feeling slithering down the back of your throat, itching at every breath. You won't be embarrassed to smile, knowing your teeth are free and clear of dark brown specks lodged between. So... is it sad that I took this amount of time to write, or sad that you spent that amount of time actually appreciating a review for a coffee filter?!

So, seriously, it's a coffee filter. It works.
22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2012
My original filter developed a tiny split at the bottom in the middle, where the gold mesh pulled away from the molded plastic. The replacement filter worked fine for a week. Then the mesh pulled away from the plastic in about a 2" split down the side during one of the brewing cycles. Maybe it's a "lemon." So I'm back to the original.
on April 25, 2012
I've used this one for nearly a year with a hand grinder and kettle; I am extremely happy with it. However, its use is not as simple as a paper cone and there are certain steps to getting the perfect pot of coffee.
1. Use a burr grinder to get even, medium ground, coffee. The electric grinders create more dust that will go through the filter. You can get hand grinders relatively cheaply and the results are great (hint: poke the coffee through with a skewer if it starts getting slow).
2. When pouring in the water, avoid the "slurp" followed by fast draining and weak coffee. Pour the water in slowly and into the center with the plastic wall opposite the spout. Don't let it dry out, keep the water level fairly constant.
3. When pouring the coffee, use the shape of the coffee pot to catch the remaining grounds. Let it settle and then pour gently and evenly until the grit is visible and begins to be drawn to the spout, then stop.

Overall, it's more effort than a paper filter but far superior. I wouldn't make a pot of JBM or Kauai with anything else!