5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Nonstick Cookware set
Published on June 22, 2009 by Cody

3.0 out of 5 stars warped bottom
I like the idea of environmentally friendly cookware, and the product is light weight so it is easy to handle.

Published on September 28, 2009 by gksf

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Nonstick Cookware set, June 22, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart GW-10 Greenware Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set (Kitchen)
This set is the most amazing one I have worked with. I have used various other nonstick pans, stainless steel, cast iron... and i prefer these pans over all. One thing to note is that the nonstick surface scratches right off of these pans if you use any kind of metal. As the pans have exposed metal on them it is not a good idea to stack them on top of each other or to let pile up in the sink. This has not at all been a problem for me because the cleanup on these pans is super fast. Get yourself a set of bamboo kitchen utensils in addition to this set and your in business for some eco-friendly low toxicity cooking.

3.0 out of 5 stars warped bottom, September 28, 2009
gksf (San Francisco) - See all my reviews

In the 10 piece set I bought, the bottom of the 10 inch deep fry pan is not flat and it wobbles on the cooktop. I called customer service and was told to ship it to them (at my expense) with a check for $7 (return shipping) and wait 4 to 6 weeks for their evaluation or repair. I don't think this is a reasonable way to deal with a product defect.

PS After about 3 months of use, I've been happy with the Ecolution Artistry 12.5 inch sautee pan Ecolution Artistry Eco-Friendly 12.5 Inch Grande Fry Pan and the "Chicken" fryer (I'm vegetarian)Ecolution Artistry Eco-Friendly Chicken Fryer with Glass Lid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice weight easy to cook with but would suggest getting a cast iron skillet for cooking with oil or browning., May 13, 2010
I've read many reviews on this cookware not everyone is happy with it. As for me it's going well so far. I've had it for over a week. I will be coming back if I have any trouble with it.

Aside from the non stick coating working well the biggest plus for this set is the weight. They are not excessively heavy. I have wrist and arm problems and I can't be lifting a pan that weighs a ton to pour something out. Heavy nearly cast iron weight has been the trend in upscale cookware lately. The weight is more similar to that of upscale cookware 3-4 years ago. Heavy enough to be sturdy and distribute heat but not unmanageable. The handles do stay cool on the stove. They are very sturdy but partly hollow which helps them stay cool. I like the eco friendly angle on these. They fact that they use recycled materials is nice.

I'm not 100% sure these are any safer than teflon. How can you be sure if they've just come out with it? Taking the precautions not to scratch your cookware and not cooking on high heats are probably the best precautions you can take. I've tried cooking with stainless steel and I get frustrated with the sticking and the cleanup.

Don't skip reading the directions!
I made sure to read the directions inside the box and the tags on the pans. You cannot stack this cookware it must be hung or you have to have enough space to line it up flat on a shelf. I don't have much space so this is one point that isn't convenient. However it makes sense that you wouln't want to stack non-stick cookware. Obviously you must use only wooden or non stick safe utensils.

You can only cook at medium or low heats with this cookware. High heat ruins it. This means I have to be more patient and wait for the pans to heat up. Once they do heat up they do a great job of cooking without anything sticking to the pans. Eggs do not need oil at all but you have to wait for them to cook long enough for the edges to start curling a little then you can turn up the edges let the egg cook a little longer then flip it. They slide easily out of the pan.

I eat long cooking steel cut oatmeal cooking it has been a little diffent.I have to keep adding water as it cooks I've tried adding the normal amount and it absorbs up in this set with the lid on and then it still needs more cooking. I have not yet tried filling it to the top with water. The oatmeal comes out nice and cleans up easily.

Like 90% of non stick cookware these much be handwashed:
You do have to wait for the pans to cool before cleaning them per the manufactures directions. I am being very careful to follow all directions to a T. No scrub pads inside the pan only a soft cloth. They give the ok for a gentle scrubbing on the outside only with the proper type pad. They are cleaning up very easily 2 minutes or less most of the food rinses right off without a cloth. There's only one set on the market I know of only one set that is dishwasher safe and they run about $600-$700.00. I believe the maker is Calphalon (not all sets by them just one set) they are sold exclusively at one department store online. I'd rather just wash them and save the money.

I am being careful with the lids I gently set them on the pan and remove them carefully. Some people slam lids on and off not helpful to a non stick finish!
I wish they had a smaller steamer pan. The pot with the steamer is good for something like corn but the size is a little excessive if you are not cooking for a large family.

The set is a good value. I probably got them for $130.00 at the time my shipping was free. If I get 3-4 years use out of these I will be happy. I don't expect them to to last a lifetime for that price. Even though they do have a lifetime warranty there's very little room for using it. They disqualify normal wear and tear and many other conditions that might make someone send a pan back. If go with Calphalon, Circulon or one of the more upscale cookware sets (that weight a ton) they have a more liberal return policy so long as you have used as exactly as directed they do replace pans. However all manufacturers make you pay the shipping to send them back for exchange. Cuisinart is no exception.

I would recomend this set based on my use thus far (please see my updated review a the end after long use). If you have the storage space and are willing to follow directions by the manufacturer for using them I think you will be happy.

Update: One month later still immensely pleased with these pans. I do get a little impatient waiting for them to heat up on the medium heat. It helps to put the lid on at first and take it off if you don't need moisture in the dish you are cooking. I highly suggest getting wooden utensils. I got a set for 3 bucks from a Walmart type place. I notice even the so called high heat non stick utentsils start to melt just stirring food around. That leaves a potential to get plastic in your food or scratch your pan. So long as you clean the wood utensils up right away (no soaking)along with your pans they will last a very long time. Oil the utensils up after clean up with food grade mineral oil.

If you get a little food on the side of your non stick pan take another baking fill it with water and a little soap let it soak for 30 minutes or so and it will wipe right off.

UPDATE (Maybe it's been a year now?): DO NOT use non stick cooking spray on these pans it will eventually ruin them. I called to see how to remove and was told to use Barkeepers Friend. It still does not work to get it all off entirely. My large cook pots and sauce pans are still in good shape and I am happy with them but I rarely use oil in them. My small skill is ok I have not used it as much. The big skillet while usable is not in good shape due to the cooking spray. I now use a cast iron skillet for much of my skillet cooking. I like it better it's easier to care for. I am still happy I have the other pans for general cooking though. You could get by without oil if you want to make eggs the non stick skillet but you need a great deal of patience. I find eggs without oil bland so I got tired of it and started using cooking spray. I'd still say if you take good care of these pans you will be happy with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratched brand new glass-ceramic cooktop, October 12, 2010
They're light weight.
They cook evenly.
They clean easily.

But in the end, they're unfit for use on a modern glass-ceramic cooktop. The bottoms are not smooth. They have raised circular ridges that have a certain amount of sharpness to them. If you use gas or old electric-eye coils, no problem. Otherwise, stay away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lean, Green, Cooking Machines, August 24, 2009
Not much on long-winded reviews - so here is the nitty gritty:

PROS:

- Well constructed: heats evenly and quickly - just as advertised.
- Super easy to clean - these pans completely redefine the term "non-stick"
- Weight: Not something you think about often, in terms of cookware - but I've found the light-weight in these pans to be quite the perk - especially when it comes to weilding these around a stove

CONS:

- Handles/lids can get quite hot - which is the one reason I couldn't give these 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO OIL NEEDED! Absolutely the best pans you will ever own!, December 6, 2009
I am ecstatic about these pans. The first time I used it I discovered that I could fry anything without oil, without sticking! Even the oil I did use that day, would not stick to this pan. A total surprise to me and a welcome one, as I have always watched my calories and keep oils to a minimum. True, I was looking for alternative to teflon. I am thrilled to have found out about these as I wanted a safe product but didn't want to have to struggle to cook in or clean my pans. SO grateful to know that a BIG manufacturer such as Cuisinart cares about their manufacturing environment! As a conscientious consumer, I have accepted that a product I use (but not this one) may not always be the best working product compared to the damaging, unhealthy for the environment, chemical products... and thats OK because we all need to be responsible for the earth and respect all life around us. BUT NOT THE CASE WITH THESE PANS. The Cuisinart GreenGourmet pans are the best pans I have ever used in my lifetime (and I'm an old woman... it's been a long time). Love these so much I am looking for more sizes and am buying a second set now! Getting rid of all the NON GreenGourmet pans in my kitchen. I've had these now for four months and they look as good as new. I am wanting Cuisinart GreenGourmet to make a large square flat griddle, without the ridges in it (vegetarians don't need ridges). THANK YOU Cuisinart GreenGourmet!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT set, February 23, 2009
Amazon Customer (New York United States) - See all my reviews
I love, love, love these pans. I was looking for something that was not teflon because of the negative health effects I have read about, and this cookware is a wonderful non-stick alternative. The instructions say you can use little (or no) butter/grease etc., but I always use just a touch depending on what I'm cooking, and NOTHING sticks to these pans. They wash like a breeze so no problem not putting them in the dishwasher. They seem to brown more evenly and heat more effectively than my other, cheaper pots and pans. I would highly recommend to anyone willing to spend the money. I am looking to add additional pieces not included in this set.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, you probably meant to search for KitchenAid, September 11, 2011
Joe "Joe" (Puyallup, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Save yourself the grief and waste, do not buy this set. They use the "eco-friendly" tag as a gimmick to sell you cheap pans for an inflated price. After about three weeks of use, non of the cookware was nonstick anymore. They come with a lifetime warranty, but when you call the customer service line, they will just tell you to boil water in the pans on the stovetop prior to washing. So the energy saving design really requires twice as much gas or electricity to maintain. My pans were not replaced; I have received no further response from the customer service reps at cuisinart, and am now stuck without practical cookware. I can't afford more, and have to make do with pans that destroy every egg, hamburger patty, and grilled cheese I try to cook. I have even had issues with boiling pasta, because it will stick to the bottom, and ruin most of the noodles.

Just to clarify, I wash the pans with a soft sponge and mild detergent by hand. The utensils used on the pans are usually nylon or silicon, and are designed for use with nonstick cookware. I never let food sit in the pans for longer than the duration of one meal, and I have never burnt oil or food to the bottom. Touching metal utensils to the cookware in any way usually spells death and/or unusual punishment in my kitchen, so the pans have been VERY well taken care of. Despite this, they still...they're pieces of...umm...ah...the substandard performance of the cookware has resulted in the waste of food, which has evoked an extremely strong desire to spew expletives continuously. I have never resented cookware before; unfortunately, I can now say I have. If you're on a budget, and like to cook, this IS NOT the set for you. If you're rich and can afford to buy a new set every month, go for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A few problems with design, December 30, 2011
I have been using these for over a year and am looking forward to changing them out.
In a nutshell:
pros:
lightweight-easy on weak wrists

cons: the lids drip drip drip down the sides and not on the inside of the pan or pot.
I have to use my plates for lids.
they can't be put in the dishwasher.
they mark up my tile countertops and my white sink and I end up
scrubbing with powdered cleanser twice to three times a day.
The nonstick surface is very weak and the fry/skillets are no longer nonstick.
stick horribly.
the bottoms are now warped and uneven-even though I try to be careful to heat them slowly and
avoid drastic temp changes.
the nonstick coating dings VERY easily and spooning out food with anything but plastic or wood
is a problem here.

perhaps 'green' ceramic cookware's new technology and could use some tweaking to obtain a strong no stick product
at least thats my conclusion after dealing with this particular product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frying pans are useless, January 21, 2011
I received this set 2 years ago for Christmas, and I loved it at first. After a couple months, it seemed like my frying pans needed to be seasoned every week. They are garbage...I cleaned them according to directions. I am so disappointed in this set because of the frying pans...everything sticks to them now, no matter how much butter, oil, etc I put in them. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! DON'T BUY THIS SET. I am in the process of finding a frying pan set that will actually work. My husband and I are very environmentally conscious and are so upset that a line of cookware labeled "green" has such poor performance.

Cuisinart GW-10 Greenware Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set