5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Reliable Mixer
Published on July 25, 2009 by Richard Wong

3.0 out of 5 stars No Slow Speed!
Published on May 3, 2009 by SheltieGirlV

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Reliable Mixer, July 25, 2009
Richard Wong "Wolf" (Ewing, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I own the Cuisinart Power Advantage 5-Speed Handheld Mixer since early April 2009 and I am quiet happy with it thus far. In all fairness, this is my second handheld mixer and my previous mixer (Proctor Silex 62535 Bowl Rest 5-Speed Mixer, White) was a very weak mixer, which simply did not have the power to mix any semi-thick dough. This Cuisinart mixer has significantly more power (220 Watts) and has little trouble mixing most dough, excluding bread dough of course. This mixer has an automatic feedback mechanism which was the main reason I decided to purchase it. Unlike most mixers which supply their motors with different electric powers at different settings, this mixer supplies electric power partially based on the mixing speeds. In other words, it will supply an extra burst of power to the motor when the mixing speed is slow, like mixing tough dough. It only does so temporarily to avoid over heating the motor. It has five speed settings, which is exactly what I want. For those who like additional speed settings, there is the Cuisinart HM-70 Power Advantage 7-Speed Hand Mixer, Stainless and White. Keep in mind, their top speeds are the same as they are both powered by a 220 Watts motor. In my opinion, the slow speed setting of this mixer is a bit too fast. Beside the power, the mixer has three other features which I like a lot. First, it can sit nicely on a mixing bowl (when the power is off). Second, the power cord can swing left or right to allow the unit to securely sit upright. I have uploaded two customer images to illustrate this. Third, the beaters are easy to clean. Finally, the beaters can be effortlessly ejected by using the level. Looking at the photo, you may think this mixer has a semi-dull black. In reality, it has a shiny glossy black, which I think, looks even better. For those who prefer white color there is the: Cuisinart HM-50 Power Advantage 5-Speed Hand Mixer, Stainless and White

In summary, this is a powerful and affordable handheld mixer (not powerful compared to stand mixers)

Update:
I do have one compliant. Years ago, customers were able to take their home appliances apart to fix them. Unfortunately, this mixer is not one of those. Cuisinart have sealed off the screw holes and prevented customers from opening up the mixer. My mixer was making some scratchy noises and I could tell it just needed some machine oil/lubrication. Instead of taking the unit apart and adding oil, I had no choice but to pour the oil from outside through the exhaust fan hole, hoping it will get to the place. It did somewhat, and now the noise has been minimized. However, it should have been more straightforward than this.

I still think this is a very nice mixer for its utility and affordable price, and I would still strongly recommend other potential buyers to consider it. However, it would have been nicer if the screw holes are not sealed.

*Update on late Nov 2009*: The mixer is still working fine -- bought it since April 2009. The scratchy metal noise has not come back for some time. By the way, I use this mixer about 3 times per month for cookies and pastries. I hope this illustrates how often this mixer is being used. I am very satisfied with the product thus far.

*Update on Jun 26, 2010*: Still working fine.

*Update on May 31, 2011*: Still working.

*Update on Jan 05, 2012*: Still working

3.0 out of 5 stars No Slow Speed!, May 3, 2009
I got this mixer after my old one died. I dislike the "low" speed as it is almost as fast as my old mixer's high speed! For me, the purpose of a hand mixer is to mix light products, such as puddings and cakes and things that require more than a whisk. A low speed is needed to start out, and there is no low speed on this model. This is a major drawback as far as I am concerned. Aside from that, it is a lovely mixer, but not completely useful!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had expected, October 19, 2009
April K. Barnes (Fairbury, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I had a Cuisinart hand mixer for 10 years and loved it. I thought this new one would be just like my old one. It's only problem, which is big, is that it has no low speed. Speed 1 beats so fast that everything flys out of the bowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy and favorite kitchen tool, and quite multipurpose!, August 3, 2008
Bought this Cuisinart HM-50 Power Advantage 5-Speed Hand Mixer after another from a different manufacturer had conked out, even after simple light use. Decided then to go for a quality replacement, and haven't regretted this choice at all, plus it's quite handy... get it?

Bad pun aside, this kitchen appliance is a favorite, and has had a lot of use. Have found its five speeds to be quite adequate, and its 220-Watt motor to be up to the task. If you want more power and a greater range of speeds, there is the Cuisinart HM-70 Power Advantage 7-Speed Hand Mixer, which is also highly rated.

This handy (here we go again) appliance easily mixes even heavier ingredients than one might expect, and the one-touch slide control changes speeds easily. The supplied extra-long beaters (more on these in a moment) eject easily, and clean up quite well in a dishwasher, as should be expected.

Like larger stands mixers, there are a few (handy) accessories and implements available, such as the versatile CHM-WSK Chef's Whisk, great for making whipped cream, and the CHM-DH Set of 2 Dough Hooks. But of special note, must state that I also purchased an extra HTM-BTR-357 Beater Set.

This beater set wasn't bought as a replacement of the originals, but because they are quite multipurpose. I ordered the second pair, for the sole purpose of mixing paints, and they do a splendid job.

Who said that a (handy) kitchen tool can't be multipurpose? This is a 5-star choice for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hand Mixer!!, December 2, 2010
My old hand mixer finally gave out just before Thanksgiving. Since I had such good luck with a cuisinart stand mixer I decided on their hand mixer. I am so pleased with my purchase. It is quite powerful for a hand mixer. Even the slowest speed can mix ingredients pretty good. I like that the cord swivels to either side especially when mixing while bowl is on the stove. It is fairly light and easy to handle. I highly recommend this mixer and have always been impressed with cuisinart's warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever!, February 6, 2010
I have had a lot of hand mixers over my life and I would call myself a happy senior citizen now, but the Cuisinart HM-50BK hand mixer is the best ever! I really like the beaters. They don't have the center bar and it whips things up before you know it. It is very powerful, too. It whips up thick cookie dough with no problem.
If you are looking for a new hand mixer then this is it! Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars I recomend buying this product, May 17, 2009
I'm very happy with my mixer. It seems to be better quality than most. It does seem heavier than most hand mixers but I don't mind. It is very powerful on the lowest setting but again, I don't mind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow speed way too fast, December 12, 2010
Bookworm (Green Bay, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I read many reviews about this mixer saying that the slow speed was too fast, but I ordered it anyway. Now that I have it, I wish I had never ordered it. It is the worst mixer I've ever had. The slow speed is WAY too fast--I always have food flying all over. If you use it, be sure to have a very deep, large bowl for whatever you are trying to mix.

4.0 out of 5 stars What's in a Name?, May 23, 2009
J. Warren (Port Ludlow, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Cuisinart is a well respected name in small appliances, so I finally took the leap and ordered this mixer because my old beloved Braun will only work at one speed--fast. I debated between Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart, but the reviews here on Amazon seemed to favor the Cuisinart a little more than the Kitchen Aid. The mixer works just fine, but I find it noisy, compared to past mixers. The quieter an appliance, the better I tend to like it. Like others, I find that speed level one is not as low a setting as I would expect on a 5-speed mixer, but it works okay. It is also a bit disappointing to find that, like way too many things, it is made in China. All in all, I would recommend this mixer. It is my primary mixer as I choose not to have a mixer on a stand anymore. They take up way too much room unless you use them lots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Upgrade!, February 11, 2010
I bought this at Sam's because it was only $14.99. I didn't really care about power or anything else, just price. My last mixer was a Proctor Silex that I have had for about 12 years. For the price, I wasn't really expecting much, but WOW!!!! What a great upgrade!! It's powerful, has a nice flat bottom so I can set it down on the counter, and the beaters are so thin (and don't have that darn post in the middle) that I didn't have to scrape tons of mashed potatoes out of them. I love to bake cakes and breads and I will have no problems whipping this little gem out for small jobs. I'm very happy with this purchase and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.