1,923 Reviews
 (1,465)

1,251 of 1,268 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great ice cream maker indeed!
I have relied on my Rival ice cream maker for many years, churning out many, many batches of good ice cream...but after so many years, i got tired of the rock salt and ice ordeal so i went for this model. GLAD I DID! I've made half a dozen batches so far and i'm pleased to say this works better than the salt/ice machine. A few comments:

First, it's easier to...
Published on August 1, 2010 by B. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but you have to improvise a bit, at least with sorbet.
Published on August 3, 2012 by WTL

1,251 of 1,268 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great ice cream maker indeed!, August 1, 2010

First, it's easier to do, and doesnt take any guessing on how much ice to salt than the traditional ice/salt machine. THer'es no messy clean up of salt and/or ice off the counter/floor, either.

Second, it's quicker than advertised. While eveything says 20-25 minutes, i have yet to have a batch take longer than 15 minutes.

Third, I did not have to turn my freezer down to the lowest setting either (i was concerned about wasting energy just for this!). I have it on a "5" out of "9" settings, and it's fine. I stuck the canister in the back, on the bottom shelf--which I assume is the coldest place. Just make sure the recipe you use is VERY cold before you throw it into the machine. (i often put it in the freezer for 30 min before i make ice cream). ANother tip: put the exterior clear casing into the freezer for a while before making the ice cream--it just helps insulate the canister all the more when it's turning.)

Fourth, it's the quietest ice cream machine i've heard. No, you cant hear a pin drop in the other room, but i use it in the kitchen and can comfortably watch TV in my adjacent family room without having to adjust the volume at all. I can hear the machine churing, but it doesnt get in the way of hearing the TV.

Fifth, so why 4 stars instead of 5? Her'es the only downside of the frozen canister v. salt/ice machines. Scooping the finished ice cream out of the heavy and awkward-to-handle canister and into a container for freezing, is challenging. The canister, understandably, is VERY cold. It seems off balance as you try to do this, too. And if you wait more than a moment, the ice cream quickly starts to freeze hard to the canister, so a rubber spatula (never use metal or you'll scratch the canister!), cant scrape the hardened ice cream off the sides very easily.

Overall, GREAT ice cream maker. THe quality of the ice cream is good, with a nice, smooth texture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved from the ICE-20, July 20, 2010
I bought the new ICE-21 ice cream maker from Cuisinart and just made my first batch of strawberry ice cream. I was a little worried that it would not freeze well based on the reviews of the ICE-20, also sold on amazon, but in literally 10 minutes after pouring the chilled ingredients in, I had perfectly textured ice cream. The unit is very easy to clean, not terribly loud, and as long as if doesn't break on me after a few months (and I will update this if it does), I will say this is a great purchase. Now I can make whatever flavor ice cream I desire! Mwhahaha!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but you have to improvise a bit, at least with sorbet., August 3, 2012
WTL (California) - See all my reviews
Got this a couple of weeks ago, now googling recipes for sorbet, which is all I've made so far, with varying results. My main concern - and this may be why some people are complaining - is that the mixture stops rotating with the bowl when it reaches the consistency of a thick slurpee. It just sits there in the center of the bowl, not touching the sides, and the bowl rotates underneath - it stops pushing the mixture through the paddle. At this stage you could pour it out of the bowl into a container and freeze it.

But I don't think sorbet should go into the freezer with that much liquid consistency - I think it would separate. The only way I can get it to a thickness that's still soft but not at all runny is to stand there and push it through the paddle with a spatula, forcing it to rotate. This gradually solidifies it to a proper consistency. It doesn't take long at all - if the bowl is properly frozen and the mixture is cold enough, it usually takes me no longer than 15 minutes. In the first stage I let the bowl push the mixture through the paddle. After about 5 minutes (?) I check it, and by then the mixture is barely or no longer moving, just sitting there doing nothing. Then I use the plastic spatula to push it along through the paddle - as it goes through one side, I catch it where it comes through on the other side and push it along. This is the only method that's working for me.

I called Cuisinart (don't bother with their email form - they don't answer), and they were less than helpful: "The Ice-21 is made specifically for our recipes, so if you're using other recipes you'll just have to experiment." Well, their manual has a whopping four recipes for sorbet - not even orange. It says nothing about helping it with a spatula; for raspberry sorbet it says: "...let it mix until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving." What is "soft and creamy"? They don't say. Is it the consistency of a margarita or smoothie? Because that's what you get if you follow the instructions. OK, granted I haven't tried it that way yet - but the thing is, it stops mixing in just a few minutes, unless I use the spatula.

I think on the next batch I'll actually follow the instructions explicitly - a first for me - and see what happens - I'll report back, but it will take a few days because I'm refinishing the butcher block countertops. I won't try it with raspberries either - they're too expensive to waste; I've used only fresh, but the last time I added some solid frozen raspberries a couple of minutes before I scooped it out, and it worked great as something to chew on. For recipes I've been adapting David Lebovitz - he gives some good general instructions and tips. For example, I made orange sorbet with added raspberry puree to make it look like blood orange (not in season yet), and it came out fantastic. Online he has recipes for ice cream, gelato and sorbet: [...] Plus he's got a book that I'm going to order: http://www.amazon.com/The-Perfect-Scoop-Granitas-Accompaniments/dp/158008219X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344012241&sr=8-1&keywords=david+lebovitz+the+perfect+scoop

Next on my list is cranberry sorbet - I want to use up some of the leftover cranberry sauce from last year; have no idea if it'll work.

So far, this is what I've learned about making SORBET, not ice cream:

1. Keep the bowl in the freezer all the time so it'll be ready. As soon as I'm finished using it, I rinse it out and hand-dry it (sometimes it's still so cold the dish towel sticks to the inside, so I guess my sorbet might sometimes have a little insoluble fiber...) - instructions say don't put it in the freezer wet - it would probably stick to the shelf.
2. For the mixture, I often put it in the freezer long enough to get it very cold but BEFORE it starts freezing - say an hour at most if I used already cold ingredients. For citrus sorbet, you can use cold fruit if you want to speed things up, but cold fruit gives less juice. Solution: roll the fruit between your hand and the countertop back and forth to soften it up.
3. I ALWAYS use 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of wine per two cups of sorbet to keep it from freezing like a rock - alcohol doesn't freeze. I've been using Riesling because it's sweet; different recipes call for different forms of alcohol - sometimes liqueur, sometimes vodka, etc. You don't want to use enough that you'll taste it (unless you want to), but use enough to keep the sorbet spoonable right out of the freezer - otherwise you have to let it sit out for awhile before serving. I don't drink alcohol at all, but now I'm eating a little bit.
4. Heating the sugar in liquid to melt it is necessary. I haven't used water yet - I figure it would dilute the flavor. Instead I use the liquid I'm making the sorbet from - so far it's been freshly squeezed orange juice. I make the raspberry sorbet with just the amount of orange juice it takes to dissolve the sugar. I've also added fresh lime juice - nice clean tang, better than lemon I think. I always use fresh fruit - so much better, especially with raspberries. I made the most outrageously delicious raspberry sorbet my fanatic wife has ever tasted, rich full flavor - and I think it's pretty wonderful, too.
5. Lebovitz's recipes vary, of course. For blood orange, he uses juice, no water. For cranberry, he uses both. In general, he uses 1/4 cup sugar for each cup of liquid.
6. I've been using extra-fine granulated sugar; dissolves very quickly. I'd rather use organic, but I'm not sure what the taste of molasses would do to sorbet.
7. As the mixture is churning, I taste it to be sure it's what I want. Usually I can tell before I have to start using the spatula whether it's going to be OK.
8. Mixing it has taken 10-15 minutes. Freezing it takes more than the 2 hours the book says - but again, I'm talking about raspberry sorbet, not ice cream.

I like this machine so far. I hope it lasts.

UPDATE 12/25/14: Still going strong, got an extra bowl so I can make more sorbet in one batch, and I've learned a few things about making sorbet:
1. If I put the mixture in the freezer to get cold enough fast, it forms ice crystals, and I get crunchy sorbet. So now I do the correct thing and put it in the fridge for about 24 hours +/-.
2. I no longer use wine or anything else to keep it soft (and BTW I should have said WHITE wine, red has too much flavor). The sorbet gets pretty hard, but not uneatably so, and leaving it out for a few minutes first softens it up nicely. Very often my wife polishes it off the first night so it never gets a chance to harden.
3. I no longer use the baker's sugar - it just doesn't work as well as Trader Joe's (or anybody's) organic sugar, which is pretty coarse. I still melt the sugar, and it takes a little longer with the coarse kind but is well worth it. Still 1/4 cup sugar +/- per cup of juice - passion fruit needs a little more.
4. Sorbet made from cranberry sauce sucks.
5. Our favorites are now passion fruit, guava and mango - mainly mixtures of those. Being from Hawai`i I've always loved those flavors. Now in Los Angeles I go to a Hispanic grocery that carries the frozen pulp of all of those (and many more mysterious ones I'm gradually trying, but we like those first three the best - guanabana is another good one if mixed with one of the three). Mixing the passion fruit with guava or mango tones down the sourness of passion fruit just right - I usually make it 50/50.
6. This thing is the noisiest appliance we have by far - like as loud as a vacuum cleaner, my wife can't be on the same floor of the house when it's going. Why it's so noisy I don't know - it's just a simple motor turning in circles. The upside is that I've learned to detect a change in the sound that tells me when I have to go check it and start using the spatula - so I can go into another room or upstairs and still keep track of it.

UPDATED DATE: Um, that previous update was obviously 12/25/13, not 14. And why I was typing an Amazon review on Christmas I do not know. I got all kinds of presents...But now, June 20 in actually 2014, the thing is still going just fine. The sorbet my wife likes tends to run $5/pint (check those sizes - some makers are now selling us 14-oz. containers for the 16-oz. price - why can't they be more honest and less afraid and just raise the price out in the open?), so this machine has already paid for itself several times over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Great Ice Cream, July 17, 2010
As this product had not been reviewed yet, I read several reviews for the Cuisinart ICE-20 Ice Cream Maker before making my decision to purchase this product. Many comments about the ICE-20 mentioned that the ice cream is the consistency of soft serve; some reviewers said it was too soft. I did not find that issue with the ice cream I made with this ice cream maker. I turned my freezer to the coldest setting and froze the bowl for 7 hours. I could not hear any liquid moving in the bowl at that point, so I assumed it was solidly frozen. I made the Simple Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from the booklet that came with the machine. After about 20 minutes, the ice cream was nicely textured and creamy. It wasn't as hard as the packed ice cream you purchase at the store, so I guess you might say the consistency was somewhere between soft serve and store-bought: firmer than soft serve, but not as firm as hard pack. As reviewers of the ICE-20 pointed out, if the ice cream was frozen as solidly as hard pack in the machine, it would be difficult to remove it from the container.

The ice cream is simply wonderful. It has a fresh, pure taste that outshines anything I could purchase from the store. I bought it mainly because I wanted to have control of my ingredients. I want to use organic products as much as possible and I want to experiment with soy ice creams; I have thought I might want to get away from dairy products altogether.

This product was listed as the newest version of the ICE-20 and as an upgrade that improves upon the ICE-20 while still keeping its popular features. I don't know what the upgrade consists of, but I can say that in 20-25 minutes, I had really excellent ice cream that I thought was the perfect consistency. (Since I posted this review, a commenter here has noted that the upgrade consists of a new paddle design, reducing the processing time by 25%, according to the manufacturer.) After freezing it for a couple of hours it was firmer and I liked it at that consistency, too. I was thinking about how great this ice cream would be with warm apple pie, because tasting it really is like tasting fresh vanilla cream. But we're a couple of months away from apple pie season! This product couldn't be simpler to use, and I think it will pay for itself fairly quickly in savings over the cost of premium purchased ice cream. And it just tastes better.

4.0 out of 5 stars delicious ice cream, January 8, 2011
A Kid's Review
In got this ice cream maker for christmas. It works great. The ice cream is very easy to make. I'm 11 and I make the ice cream all by myself. I freeze the bowl 6-9 hours and I get creamy and delicious ice cream. Now it's my job to make ice cream for the family every week. My dad loves the chocolate. If you had a contest between store brand ice cream and this kind, this kind would win by a landslide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ice Cream I've Ever Had!!, August 11, 2010
I decided to purchase this ice cream maker based on reviews from America's Test Kitchen which they rated as recommended to buy and best value. For the price this machine does a great job. Fresh made ice cream is so much better than store bought. The ICE-21 is the newer version of the ICE-20. It's so easy to use; the only thing you have to be careful of is portion control. If you pour too much of the ice cream mixture it can overflow easily. I say this because you have to be careful when adding extra ingredients such as fresh fruit and chocolate chips. Some people complain that the consistency is not hard enough, but if you place the finished product in your freezer for at least 2 more hours the ice-cream gradually hardens. I discovered that a day after the ice-cream is made it gets as hard as store bought, so it's all a matter of time. I use the recipes from the booklet that comes with the ice cream maker and find them to be delicious. It is also easy to clean with mild soap, warm water and a soft sponge. The machine is also pretty quiet so it's not an annoyance. The manual says it makes ice cream in 20 minutes or less and it is true to its claim. Overall I am very happy with this product and don't regret purchasing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! WOW! WOW!, September 11, 2010
As much as my husband hates buying me kitchen appliances as gifts, he finally caved and bought me the Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker for my birthday. It arrived in the mail yesterday and we immediately popped the mixing bowl into the freezer and hurried off to the store to buy whole milk and heavy whipping cream.

Just moments ago we finished our first batch of Peanut Butter ice cream.... and all I can say is... my waistline could be in deep trouble!!

First, the machine itself is so easy to use! There are four pieces and they all just go right together. No thinking about what part has to fit into where. We used a recipe in the provided instruction manual. Except for the candy we added in, the whole milk and the heavy whipping cream, everything else I already had on hand in the pantry! Easy Peasy!

I am glad I spent time reading the reviews and offer a couple of tips:

1) Freeze the mixing bowl completely. Do not attempt to use after only a couple hours of freezing. You will be disappointed.
2) Once you pull the frozen mixing bowl out of the freezer, use it immediately! Don't let it sit out on the counter while you turn your attention to other things.
3) Add anything with alcohol in the last couple of minutes, including any flavorings. The alcohol content can reduce the freezing point of the mixture and you will end up with a sloppy mess. Make sure to read the ingredients of everything you use, just in case!
4) Chill the ice cream mixture for several hours before pouring it into the mixer.

By doing all of the things above, we ended up with a creamy, rich, thick peanut butter ice cream. We are going to have to switch to frozen yogurt or fruit sorbets, 'cause my waistline will expand quickly if we eat too much of this stuff!! It is decadent!

Quick and easy clean up. In fact I already have the mixing bowl back in the freezer and a batch of ice cream mix chilling to make a dessert for a dinner party tomorrow night!

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ice Cream Maker Makes Good Ice Cream, September 18, 2010
Michael (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This ice cream maker is my first. It does a nice job. I have made four batches in the month or so that I've had it. It is not very loud. The components fit together well, are easy to use and are easy to clean (There aren't a bunch of seams, nooks and crannies on the base, so it wipes down quickly and easily). The instructions are easy to understand and logically written. I do like the electrical cord stowage under the unit, so you don't have to fight with it when you put it away.

The hardest part is getting the agitator out of the container after churning is completed. I make sure I have my container ready, and I transfer the ice cream from the bowl to my container by the sink. You will get it on your hands, and it will drip a little bit.

My only caution is to make sure you turn it on before you start pouring your mixture into the bowl. The mixture freezes instantly on contact with the bowl's surface, and it jams the rotation of the bowl. Place the bowl on the base, place the agitator in the bowl, put the clear lid in place, turn on AND THEN add your mixture. You will have soft serve in less than 20 minutes, if you chilled your mixture thoroughly.

I wash out the bowl, dry it and put it right back in the freezer. That way, it's always ready. The amount is good. You don't end up with a ton of a certain flavor, and it stays fresher that way.

I would definitely recommend this machine, and I would buy it as a gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars frozen deliciousness, December 3, 2010
This ice cream maker is wonderful. Its the best ice cream I have had in a long time. No ice or salt needed, just freeze the bowl overnight and the next day you have soft serve in 30 minutes or less. We have tried a couple of the recipes that were in the book that came with the ice cream maker. Both were far superior to store bought ice cream and were easier than I would expect. Especially the custard version. Its a huge difference if you chill your mix overnight before churning. We usually put bowl in the freezer and the mix in the fridge the night before so both are ready to go the next day. Everyone so far has been impressed with the final result and with the holidays I see this being a staple for entertaining guests.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love that there is no ice or rock salt needed. It freezes the ice cream fast!, July 30, 2014
I love ice cream. When I got married we were given an ice cream maker that used rock salt and ice to freeze the ice cream.

Unfortunately over time it quit working so we needed a replacement. I was attending a cooking class a couple years ago and this was the ice cream maker that was used in that class. I wanted to try out the recipes we were given so I purchased one of these machines.

I love that there is no ice or rock salt needed. It freezes fast and although this machine is "loud" it is much quieter than a traditional ice cream maker.

The downside is that the capacity in this machine is limited. It makes just enough ice cream to give each member of my large family a small serving. This would be ideal for smaller families.

I do love and make traditional ice cream recipes but we are trying to eat more healthy. Here is our favorite vegan "healthy" ice cream recipe that all 5 of my kids love.

Strawberry Ice Cream (http://health4lifecooking.blogspot.com/)
1 cup raw Cashews
1 cup pitted dates
2 cups water + more water if needed
1/2 cup white or pinto beans
1 tsp vanilla
12+ Large Frozen Strawberries

Instructions:
Soak nuts and dates in 2 cups of water for 4 hours or more to ease blending. Blend nuts, dates, beans, water & vanilla in high powered blender until smooth. Add more water if needed to thin and dilute to desired richness. Add frozen strawberries and more water if needed, blend until smooth. Freeze in an ice cream freezer.

Enjoy!