4.0 out of 5 stars delicious ice cream

- Pumpkin ice cream

Published 16 months ago by Pikmin

4.0 out of 5 stars delicious ice cream, January 8, 2011
A Kid's Review
In got this ice cream maker for christmas. It works great. The ice cream is very easy to make. I'm 11 and I make the ice cream all by myself. I freeze the bowl 6-9 hours and I get creamy and delicious ice cream. Now it's my job to make ice cream for the family every week. My dad loves the chocolate. If you had a contest between store brand ice cream and this kind, this kind would win by a landslide.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love that there is no ice or rock salt needed. It freezes the ice cream fast!, July 30, 2014
I love ice cream. When I got married we were given an ice cream maker that used rock salt and ice to freeze the ice cream.

Unfortunately over time it quit working so we needed a replacement. I was attending a cooking class a couple years ago and this was the ice cream maker that was used in that class. I wanted to try out the recipes we were given so I purchased one of these machines.

I love that there is no ice or rock salt needed. It freezes fast and although this machine is "loud" it is much quieter than a traditional ice cream maker.

The downside is that the capacity in this machine is limited. It makes just enough ice cream to give each member of my large family a small serving. This would be ideal for smaller families.

I do love and make traditional ice cream recipes but we are trying to eat more healthy. Here is our favorite vegan "healthy" ice cream recipe that all 5 of my kids love.

Strawberry Ice Cream (http://health4lifecooking.blogspot.com/)
1 cup raw Cashews
1 cup pitted dates
2 cups water + more water if needed
1/2 cup white or pinto beans
1 tsp vanilla
12+ Large Frozen Strawberries

Instructions:
Soak nuts and dates in 2 cups of water for 4 hours or more to ease blending. Blend nuts, dates, beans, water & vanilla in high powered blender until smooth. Add more water if needed to thin and dilute to desired richness. Add frozen strawberries and more water if needed, blend until smooth. Freeze in an ice cream freezer.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars New Old Faithful, May 6, 2012
After reading scary reviews of some of the costly self-refrigerating ice cream makers, I bought one of the few that seemed to prove reliable. It lasted 20 minutes before the compressor stopped working. So, I returned it and bought a Cuisinart - the "ICE-21" model, which is the updated version of one they've been making for years. It's been turning out batch after batch of excellent ice cream since the day it arrived. Yes, you have to wash, dry and re-freeze the bowl between batches (or buy a second bowl), and, yes, it's high-grade plastic, and it is indeed made in China. But it works, consistently and well. I've tried a couple of the (few) recipes in the unit's accompanying booklet, as well as some from both the Jeni's book and Perfect Scoop book. All have turned out beautifully - producing products far superior to even the "upscale" premium ice creams available in the supermarket. The only negative involves resisting the urge to eat the "soft" ice cream when the machine is done, rather than packing a container and putting it into the freezer to harden further. Let's just say not all the product ends up in the freezer.............!

I long ago came to the conclusion that junk can be made anywhere. So can quality. It's up to the manufacturers to demand that their standards be met. In this case, Cuisinart, like Apple, seems to insist that the products bearing their name maintain a level of quality that reflects well on their reputation, regardless of where the products are made. Wise choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars frozen deliciousness, December 3, 2010
This ice cream maker is wonderful. Its the best ice cream I have had in a long time. No ice or salt needed, just freeze the bowl overnight and the next day you have soft serve in 30 minutes or less. We have tried a couple of the recipes that were in the book that came with the ice cream maker. Both were far superior to store bought ice cream and were easier than I would expect. Especially the custard version. Its a huge difference if you chill your mix overnight before churning. We usually put bowl in the freezer and the mix in the fridge the night before so both are ready to go the next day. Everyone so far has been impressed with the final result and with the holidays I see this being a staple for entertaining guests.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Cat's Pajamas!, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Cuisinart ICE-21TQ Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker, Turquoise (Kitchen)
This is so easy and fun to use...never going to eat store bought ice cream again! Have had this for less than two weeks and have made ice cream 5 times already. First time was just an experiment using things I happened to have in the fridge which did not even include regular dairy, I only had coconut milk, and I ended up with a strawberry sorbet kind of concoction that was darned good. Since then I have followed recipes for coconut pineapple custard, rum raisin, chocolate mint and vanilla custard. Each one has been outstanding and far exceeds similar flavors I have tasted in store bought, not to mention no more high-fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors and colorings. It is so easy to use and 4 out of the five times the ice cream was done in under 10 minutes. The exception was the rum raisin, the alcohol content might have slowed the freezing process down, but it still set-up in less than 20 minutes. I live in South Florida and have no problem getting the insulated bowl to freeze solid. I always make sure my base is well chilled too. When it is first done it freezes to a texture a little bit harder than soft serve frozen custard, which is delicious, but after it has been stored in the freezer it becomes more of a traditional hard ice cream texture.
I have wanted an ice cream maker for a while as I am planning on going dairy free in the near future and the coconut milk and almond milk ice creams are soooo expensive I though making my own would be the best way to go. After much research I had debated between this and the big soft-serve dispensing, mix-in machine also made by Cuisinart but decided on this one because simpler is usually better...plus this color aqua is so fun. I am very pleased with this purchase...one of the best self-bought birthday presents I ever made. I think some kind of frozen drink might be my next experiment...now if I can only decide which flavor to try...mudslide, creamsicle, frosty pina colada...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My Goodness !!!!!, December 28, 2010
I purchased this ice cream maker for my daughter (who is 9) for Christmas. We made our first ice cream last night and OMG it was wonderful !!! It was just as good or even better than any we have ever had ! We had no problem with it making the ice cream or with the ice cream getting firm. We let the mix in the fridge for about 2 hours, poured it in the machine, turned it on, and in 20 minutes we had ice cream !!! Could not be easier !! I washed up the bowl with warm soapy water and put it back in the freezer for another batch tonight !! We are very pleased with machine and are sooooooooooo happy we bought it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a try yourself to make easy, fantastic ice cream with little effort, August 27, 2011
This ice cream maker is amazing! If your new to making ice cream then I would get this ice cream maker. It's so easy to use and the results of the ice cream that come out are fantastic. Another plus if you like to eat lots of ice cream then you'll save money making your ice cream at home. The process of being able to watch your own ice cream being made is neat too. Tonight I made Vegan Salted Caramel Pretzel Ice Cream and WOW! The vegan ice cream's at the store have nothing on this. (Pretty sure if your not a vegan though that dairy ice cream's at the store will have nothing on what you can make.) The taste of the ice cream is much more flavorful,fresher, and creamier. As far as being easy to use you just put the bowl in your freezer to freeze. (I left mine in for 24 hours before making my ice cream. Make sure the liquid you hear in the bowl is frozen before you use the bowl.) Afterwards put your machine together, turn the machine on, and start adding in your ice cream mixture. 20 minutes later you have delicious ice cream. Now the ice cream comes out like soft serve so if you want it more firm just take it out of the machine put into a freezer safe container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.

A few recomendations though before you get started. Make sure you don't put ingredients that are hot, warm, or room tempature into the machine. Try to chill your ice cream mixture beforehand like 3 hours or overnight. The ice cream comes out creamier this way. The colder the better. Today I chilled my ice cream mixture 8 hours before using. Makes sure to use PURE EXTRACTS when using those. The artifical ones seem to mess up the freezing ability/texture with ice creams. Make sure to add nuts,chocolate chips,sprinkles,cookies and so on the last 5 minutes of the process. If you use alcohol also add that at the last 5 minutes. It too will affect the process of the ice cream. If you try to make your ice creams less fattening by using products with less fat your results aren't going to be as creamy and will have a different texture. For example I use unsweetened almond milk and canned coconut milk which makes it very smooth and creamy. If I use rice milk instead or other lower fat nondairy milks the result are completely different. This ice cream maker is a good price, produces wonderful ice cream, easy to use, saves money and is FUN!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ice cream maker with loud noice, September 16, 2013
Pikmin (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 0:24 Mins

This is my first ice cream maker. I have used it to make:
- Strawberry ice cream
- Pineapple sherbet
- Pumpkin ice cream

This machine can me great ice cream and sherbet. More fat-content (heavy cream, instead of skim milk) will bring creamier results. But to bring the calories down, I combine 1.25 cups of half-and-half and 1 cup of skim milk.

Yes, it can make loud noise too! See the video. I place the machine in the basement so it won't bother me and the neighbor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, January 11, 2011
This is a great little ice cream maker for a first time owner. It freezes well and evenly and the cylinder stays cold for a very long time. My only complaint is that it does not have an automatic shut off mechanism for when your ice cream is finished, it will shut off before the motor burns out, but by then your ice cream is way over done!
Also, the color is on the pink side, not a true-true red.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few issues, May 24, 2011
Kat J (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
We got this as a gift and it came with an extra bowl. We keep one in the freezer at all times and swap them as soon as we make a batch of ice cream so we always have one ready. The bowl has to be very frozen or it will not work. I put the paddle in the upper rack of the dishwasher and the rest is easy to hand wash. Make sure you do not over fill it. We had a "volcano" incident where we came back and found the cream was overflowing like lava out the the bowl all down the sides and onto the counter. My experience so far says 3 cups of liquid (cream, yogurt or half and half) is the most you can put in there. You have to have the paddle moving before you pour liquid in it or the paddle will stick in place. if you take a spoon and scrape the bottom and sides periodically, it more evenly and quickly freezes the mixture and helps prevent the "volcano" effect. We found that the less fat you put in, the more quickly you had to eat the ice cream (more as soft serve.) We make frozen yogurt with pureed fruit, a little sugar and low fat vanilla yogurt. In about half an hour, we have soft serve which we scoop immediately (or it freezes hard to the sides of the bowl) and eat immediately. If you try to freeze it hard in the freezer, it crystalizes and is not a great consistancy. With higher fat ice creams, they take longer and really need to be put in the freezer to set. The mouth is easy to pour in the extras and I advise adding things like crushed oreos you want to remain "whole" after the ice cream is pretty solid (fruit you want to flavor the ice cream goes in at the beginning), The easy to remove paddle makes cleaning easy, but it also creates issues as it tends to "stick" under less than ideal conditions so I have also found that you can't make a really small batch or the paddle will not turn. For the price, it seems like a pretty good deal for those who want a convenient way to whip up your own frozen yogurt or ice cream. If you are really serious about it, I would pick a better model. Also, this is enough for a family of 4 for larger servings, 6 for a scoop each so if you are looking to make it for a larger group you might want to look at the bigger bowls.