1,642 Reviews
 (1,189)

1,352 of 1,378 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and Easy!
I purchased this after much debate about whether or not I needed a two quart ice cream maker or just go with the original Cuisinart $49.95 one. I am so glad i bought this one. It is so great. Easy to use, makes alot of ice cream,so sleek looking.

Published on May 5, 2005 by H. Woolsey

1,232 of 1,277 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Lousy lifespan makes for an unhappy customer
This product started to malfunction a little more than a year into its life.

At first, it made great ice cream. Now, the unit generates so much heat while it is turning that the bowl unfreezes and I end up with a pultaceous mess that isn't remotely close to ice cream.

Avoid this.

______________________________________________________...
Published on June 8, 2009 by Anon-y-moose

1,352 of 1,378 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and Easy!, May 5, 2005
This review is from: Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker (Kitchen)

I have a tiny kicthen and everytime I turn around I am buying something that will clutter my counterspace, but I have to say this I don't mind. It is square, not to bulky and the cord fits nicely up inside the machine. It doesn't dangle or anything. It's right next to my KitchenAid.

I have made two recipes out of the manual that comes with the machine. I usually don't like "manual recipes" however, these are fantastic. The Mango Gelato was a huge hit with family and friends. One girl who doesn't like ice cream, liked it. The simple ice creams that dont require making a custard, you just mix all the ingredients together and freeze, I was thinking it would be terrible. It wasn't, so you can make ice cream in 30minutes from start to finish with those recipes.

I do keep the bowl in the freezer like others suggested with the smaller ice cream maker. It has been very useful to have it already frozen when I am ready to make ice cream.

As far as noise, it is not as quiet as I thought, but don't let that scare you. It's not like turning on a blender and leaving it running for 25 minutes. It's not an annoying noise. Not like the old ice cream makers with the ice and stuff. It is fun to watch it churn too. So the noise just fades to the background.

It's very interactive and a great thing to do with kids and company.

I really can't say enough good. One of the best appliance investments I have mad yet.

1,232 of 1,277 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Lousy lifespan makes for an unhappy customer, June 8, 2009
Anon-y-moose (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This product started to malfunction a little more than a year into its life.

Avoid this.

______________________________________________________
UPDATE: Cuisinart replaced my defective product. For a $10 shipping charge, they shipped a new unit to me the same day I called. It shipped from New Jersey via UPS and I had it two days later. They require that you ship the defective unit to them in New Jersey at your own expense, but they will ship your replacement without first having the defective unit. My total out of pocket expense was $20. I'm very happy with the customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use. Not too bulky. Does the job., February 6, 2008
I bought this a few months back from Sharper Image. Since then, I haven't bought ice cream outside of my home. You can make not only ice cream, but sorbets, slushes, and other frozen desserts. It's very simple to use: mix the ingredients, turn the single switch on, and come back in 20 minutes. The machine makes a humming noise as it's churning. I'd say it's louder than an electric can opener, but quieter than a blender.

Clean up is pretty simple. There are only 4 parts to the machine: the machine base (which you don't wash), the drum, the mixer, and the top. The last two are easy enough to put in the diswasher. In fact, if you pour perfectly, then you don't have to clean the top. The drum, however, you'll have to wash by hand. It's easy enough to clean though. Just DON'T use paper towels to dry it if it's still in the frozen state, otherwise the towel pieces will stick.

I've seen two common complaints that I'd like to address:

1) "You can't use it right out of the box." True, you have to take the drum (it's like a thick bucket) and put it in the freezer overnight. Or at least until you can't hear the liquid sloshing in between the walls of the drum. But keep in mind how ice cream is made.

Regardless of what device you use to make ice cream, in all cases you're basically taking a sweet cream-based liquid (cream, sugar, egg, flavoring) and stirring it against a cold surface. This freezes the substance while still keeping it soft (there's a microscopic amount of air inside the ice cream), instead of becoming a block of frozen solid cream. The old hand-crank devices do this by lining the outside surface with chunks of ice and rock salt. This machine instead just has a single piece you store in the freezer until it's cold, then take it out when you're ready to make ice cream. This is much less messy and easier than having to get ice and rock salt out for every recipe.

2) "It comes out soft." Yes, freshly made ice cream will have a consistency like softserve. All you have to do is pour it in an air tight container and stick it in your freezer. Then it will have the correct consistency of store-bought ice cream. It says this right in the directions. I have to wonder if people bothered to read them first.

Although about a dozen sample recipes are included, I would recommend buying an additional ice cream recipe book. I HIGHLY recommend the one by Ben & Jerry's, as it's extremely informative (gives their trial & error tales for each recipe, etc.), has lots of recipes, and is very easy to follow. I'd also recommend getting some Tupperware or similar to store the ice cream. I've found that the 2-quart Glad Interlock plastic containers are the perfect size for a batch.

Have fun experimenting. Oh, and as I'm sure others have said: you may just need a gym membership after getting this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully, June 19, 2006
The Cuisinart ICE-30BC works wonderfully. It is easy to use -- just one switch which says "on" and "off". In addition, it has a handsome design and is easy to store.

If you like to experiment with foods, this is a great purchase.

I had not previously owned an ice cream maker -- if you're in the same position, here's some things to expect:

* Don't buy one if you're simply trying to save money on ice cream for the family. The maker is costly, as are good ingredients.

* Good, rich ice cream requires cooking a custard-like mixture. Meaning double boiler on the stove, then a lengthy cooling process. Although you could avoid cooking and make a simple ice cream with the ice cream maker alone -- the results are not the same.

* The canister part of the 2 quart Cuisinart maker must be placed in the freezer for about 24 hours before each use. Keep this in mind if you have a packed freezer and/or tend to like instead gratification.

* The machine is noisy. A bit noisier that most blenders. And it needs to run for about a half hour.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this machine!, May 23, 2005
I used this to make a custard based ice cream (recipe below) and it came out WONDERFULLY! The ice cream was done in 20 minutes and the consistency was fluffy. The recipe I made before (non custard) didn't thicken as nice, but I believe it was because it was not made with the custard base. I have uploaded a customer image of the maker in action near the end of the cycle.

*TIP* Make sure the bowl is completely frozen and do not pull it out until you are ready to pour the ingredients in.

Custard Base Recipe:

Ingredients for base - 4 egg yolks, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar.

For Ice cream - base, 1 cup fresh heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Directions - In a double boiler slowly bring milk to a boil. In a glass bowl mix together egg yolks and sugar until thickened. Slowly pour in the milk stirring constantly. Return to double boiler and slowly heat until thickened. (Mixture will stick to back of the spoon. DO NOT BOIL! Remove from heat and allow to cool. (I recommend putting it in the freezer for about 2 hours before using.) When the mixture is cooled mix in the heavy cream and vanilla. According to maker directions, turn on machine and slowly pour mixture in. If you want to add chips, fruit or anything else to the ice cream, do it about 5 minutes before the end of the cycle. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fantastic!, December 9, 2005
FUBAR (Jefferson, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
If you like frozen treats and you like them easily made with very little mess and fuss...for goodness sake get this appliance BUT don't use the recipes in the machine's guide...also pick up Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. We bought this frozen treat maker based on the reviews here and it exceeded our expectations...we've made a number of the recipes in Ben and Jerry's book but I'll describe our first effort because it's representative of all our efforts...here it goes...I threw together some sugar, milk, eggs, and cream for about 5 minutes...placed it in the machine, turned it on, did some chores for 23 quick minutes...two minutes before stopping the machine I added crushed Oreos...I stopped the machine and we enjoyed absolutely GREAT ice cream...clean up was a breeze...that's it! One warning...Ben and Jerry's recipes say a "generous one quart"...that means close to two quarts. I have to say the "problem" mentioned by some of having to keep the freezing bowl in the freezer wasn't an issue...in fact, I'll probably get another bowl and keep it in the freezer as well...they take up VERY little space. Get this machine and enjoy...it's a no-brainer folks!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and easy homemade ice cream without the mess, August 17, 2005
No crushed ice and rock salt. It uses a double-walled container/bowl that needs to be in the freezer for about 24 hours for best results. Of course it will depend on your freezer settings and how much time it is out of the freezer. Your mileage may vary. I have "gotten away" with 12 hours, but the final product is very soft and it takes longer to make. If after 45 minutes the ice cream isn't ready, then the bowl probably didn't freeze long enough. Put it in the freezer for an hour or two. It will be just as delicious, but will be more dense. It's best to transfer the ice cream to a plastic container with a lid so it won't absorb freezer odors. Ours never lasts long enough for this to be an issue. Store the bowl in the freezer so it's ready for next time.

While it is larger than the ICE-20, it's still only 2 quarts. I've found this to be ideal for spur-of-the-moment ice cream fun for just my family. However, don't throw away your larger churn just yet. You'll need it for parties. But because it is small, I find that I'm more willing to experiment with flavors since I won't be "wasting" it if it doesn't turn out right. But the only time that happened is when I used 100% Splenda. (If you want to save calories/carbs, experiment with one of the sugar alcohols like Erythritol or Xylitol. They yield a better tasting product with better texture.)

Overall, I am very pleased with this product. It couldn't be any easier to use. Simply freeze the bowl, put in the mixed ingredients and 20-30 minutes later you have great tasting ice cream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs HagenDaz!?, April 19, 2006
This machine makes great homemade ice cream easy! For those of you who complain about the machine being loud or messy, you must've never used one where you need ice and salt to freeze the cream. Yes, it does make some noise, but it's tollerable and it's only for 30 minutes.

The ice cream does come out with more of a soft serve consistancy, but this is not unusual and you need to put it in the freezer for a firmer ice cream. Just being able to make fresh ice cream on your kitchen counter is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes great l ice cream fast, September 17, 2005
We bought this to make low fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbet.

We keep the bowl in the freezer, along with the bowls we use to store the ice cream. So far we've done a not-so-low-fat chocolate that turned out like a creamy chocolate mousse (a big hit with co-workers and the volleyball team), a lemon sorbet, and right now I have a low fat vanilla in the machine.

It's very fast and makes creamy ice cream but is much louder than I expected. We have an open floorplan so we hide it away in the laundry room with the door closed so we can watch tv at the same time. It's not a high whine or anything truly annoying - it's just a bit too loud to hang out in the same room for 25 min at a time. I think the noise is worth it to have control over the ingredients and large batches of ice cream at a time.

Make sure you set a timer because if you leave it too long ice cream will start to come out the top of the machine when the last thing you want to do is waste it.

I highly recommend this machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Does The Job...But Not Perfect, November 17, 2009
In order to make quality ice cream with a good consistency, you need good ingredients, a frozen apparatus, and a mechanism that properly turns and scrapes the sides of the container. That's a pretty basic view. This machine gives you a 2qt container/bowl that stays frozen pretty well throughout the ice cream making process. The scraper, on the other hand, does not adequately scrape the sides of the container. Can you still make good tasting stuff? Yes, but it could be much better.

If you don't care and just want something quick to eat, this machine should be fine. It is loud, for sure, but that is to be expected. It is a motor after all.

If you are particular about your ice cream like I am and have experience with the old-fashioned hand crank types, my recommendation is this: occasionally/frequently take a plastic device (spoon, spatula, etc) and scrape the sides (and bottom) of the container while it is turning. This will keep the most frozen parts from staying on the side. You want them to be intregrated into the rest of the mixture. This accomplishes two things: 1) your ice cream will freeze faster and 2) it will have a better/creamier consistency.

Also, don't forget to make sure your ingredients are cold BEFORE putting them into the container. I did not buy the extra bowl but it would be worth it for those who wish to make a lot of successive batches. Otherwise you'll be waiting for the bowl to refreeze.

Overall, I would buy this item again. It is reasonably priced and is easy to use.