5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out and well executed design
This is the set you want. Why? Here are some reasons. Some are about Stainless steel cookware in general, but all apply specifically to this set.

o Stainless steel is sanitary. You can get them perfectly clean very easily. (Commercial food processors are often required to use stainless steel for nearly everything that comes in contact with food.)...
Published on April 11, 2006 by R. P. Poletti

1.0 out of 5 stars Something Changed. Product should be considered Junk.
I read the reviews here - Check the date. Because cuisnart changed something about the metal used in this set. Its no longer stainless. These are my warnings after only 2 months of use.

Published on August 10, 2011 by M. Olechowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out and well executed design, April 11, 2006
This review is from: Cuisinart MCP-12 MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set (Kitchen)

o Stainless steel cleans up nearly as easily non-stick cookware. You do clean it differently, however.

o These pans have an aluminum core wrapped on both sides by stainless steel. Stainless steel does not transmit heat quickly but aluminum does. Aluminum is soft and dents easily, stainless steel is hard and strong. This means you get the toughness of stainless steel with the even heat distribution of aluminum.

o Even heat distribution and rapid heating allows you use lower heat setting thus saving energy and reducing the chance of burning food.

o Handles stay fairly cool, better than most cookware I have used.

o Dishwasher safe, unlike most non-stick pans.

o Oven-safe. Like to grill that steak then broil it to get it tender? Or you need to bake that stuffing then keep it warm? Use one pan!

o Pans are a little bottom heavy. They will not tip as easily as lighter weight pans, even empty or with a large spoon hanging off one side.

o Pans are well balanced and not too heavy. Want to flip those pancakes or toss those grilled onions, these pans give you fine control. They have been excellent for every use I have put them through.

o Lids are interchangeable and fit well! The lids even fit the skillets which is great if you are making grilled sandwiches. Note that lids may seem loose, especially when pans are cold. Remember that as pans get hot, their shape can change. Also, you do not want a perfect seal as you can make a bomb just by boiling water. Thus the lids need a little room to vent steam as well as accommodate changes in the shape of the pan.

If you have a gas range, consider using a flame deflector. This is good advice for ANY type of cookware.

Personally, I have owned the high quality non-stick stuff as well as stainless steel cookware. The non-stick stuff is quite over-rated, it does not clean up any more easily than the stainless pans. None of my non-stick Analon and Caliphon stuff has lasted more than six or eight years. The only stainless steel pot I ever had I got from my mother back in 1979. It is in great condition and looks like I bought it last month.

Unfortunately, some researches recently have linked some of the binding agents in non-stick cookware to cancer, so perhaps, to be safe, avoid the complex chemical treatments of the non-stick stuff and go for simple stainless steel.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can pay more, but you can't buy better!, July 15, 2007
For those of you considering upgrading your cookware to professional grade stainless steel, look no further.

I've owned this 12 piece set for over a year, and can't offer enough praise. It still looks brand new (use Barkeepers Friend to clean it). It heats evenly and quickly, retains heat for a long time, sears and browns well without burning, handles comfortably, cleans up easily and looks great! I'm fortunate enough to have several different types of cookware to compare. My cookware includes: All-Clad, JC Penny Elite (5 ply Copper Core), Chefmate tri-ply, Hard Anodized non-stick and Cuisinart Tri-Ply Copper.

In my opinion, the All-Clad Stainless Steel line is much overated. Its great cookware, but has no rolled edges for easy pouring without making a mess, and I prefer the handles on just about any other brand. All-Clad's materials and construction are the same as the other premium lines, with the exception of the rolled edges. Incidentally, staunch supporters of All-Clad make inferences of inferiority when speaking of other brands such as Cuisinart, stating "its made in China". I have two All-Clad pans hanging on the pot rack right now, one made in China, and the other made in Indonesia. Most of their line is made in the USA, but premium cookware made overseas (including some of their own lines)is not inferior!

The Chefmate Tri-Ply in direct comparison to the Cuisinart cooks and handles about the same with a slight edge in cleaning ease. The Chefmate has a true mirror finished interior, but overall isn't as heavy duty. The Stainless Steel lids are also a lighter gauge. Its been discontinued.

The JC Penny Cooks Elite 5 ply Copper Core is fantastic cookware, and the equal of the All-Clad Copper Core in every way except the handle. The handle of the Elite is far superior to All-Clad's. In comparison to the Cuisinart, its very comparable in performance, but quite a bit heavier. Its original price was about 2-3 times the cost of the Cuisinart. It too has been discontinued.

The Hard Anodized non-stick cookware is fine, convenient to use, even heating, and now relegated to camping. It doesn't brown foods like Stainless Steel does. The non-stick fininsh WILL wear off, and render the cookware somewhat useless with daily use.

The Cuisinart Copper Tri-Ply is fantastic and really the only competitor for the Multiclad. It looks fantastic, cooks fantastic and gives you an ever so tiny advantage in temperature control over the Multiclad. The pots and pans are the same configuration as the Multiclad, albeit with an outer layer of Copper instead of Stainless Steel. The handles are different as well, but both styles of handles are cool to the touch and comfortable to hold. I enjoy the Copper and don't mind the few minutes it takes to polish, but if you don't want Copper and the extra effort, the Stainless is perfect. I only use the Copper when preparing special dishes for company or when I need specialty pans such as Sauciers for Risoto or sauces. Otherwise, I rely on the Multiclad for daily use.

Incidentally, I have no afilliation with any of the above cookware brands. I am in the food service industry (restaurant design and build) and have the opportunity to speak with many chefs. You'd be very surprised by how many of them use Cuisinart Multiclad or Copper tri-ply at home. I'd say its a 50-50 split between All-Clad and Cuisinart for their home use.

With so many high end brands after your hard earned dollar, you can buy similar quality and performance, but there is no better value than Cuisinart Multiclad. It's heirloom quality and will be your last cookware purchase.

Update:

I reviewed this cookware set some time ago, and thought it appropriate to write an update. I've been reading through all the reviews that have been written since my first review, and everyone seems to say "as good as All-Clad".

I DISAGREE!

Cuisinart Multi Clad isn't as good as All Clad; IT'S BETTER! I have both All Clad and Cuisinart as well as other brands of high end cookware including Tri Ply, Five Ply Copper Core, Copper etc. Here are my reasons for declaring Cuisinart the winner:

o Rolled edges on the Cuisinart eliminate dribbling down the side of the pan as experienced with the All Clad. All Clad top of the line Copper Core does have rolled edges as well, but their stainless line that directly competes with the Cuisinart does not. In daily use this makes a huge difference.

o The Cuisinart handles are far superior to the All Clad. The Cuisinart remain cool enough to touch without pot holders, and their ergonomic shape and angle are very comfortable when shaking, flipping, tossing and moving the pans. The All Clad handle is thrust up at a sharp angle which is somewhat awkward, and the handle itself is uncomfortable.

0 The Cuisinart can be used on induction ranges. The previous Multi Clad line wasn't designed for induction ranges, but the Multi Clad Pro is and therefore no more advantage to All Clad in this respect.

0 The Cuisinart line cleans up easier than All Clad. I've cooked eggs in both All Clad and Cuisinart pans using the same prep and cooking mediums. In fact, I've cooked one egg per pan using the same burner without altering the gas flow. Eggs stuck slightly in the All Clad, and not at all in the Cuisinart. The Cuisinart's interior is slightly more highly polished than All Clad, and I suspect this to be the reason. I was able to repeat the same results with skin-on chicken, fish and other troublesome foods. Deglazing and clean up is just easier with the Cuisinart.

o Some All Clad pieces don't come with lids! You have to purchase a lid as an option. I have nearly every piece of Cuisinart, and each came with a lid (skillets are the exception).

o Cost. Cost isn't the only factor here. However, if two products perform similarly and will last virtually forever, why pay way more for one based on brand prejudice? The product that performs the best should be the clear winner regardless of price. Therefore, Cuisinart wins outright, and the fact that the entire 12 piece set costs less than most All Clad single pieces makes it a remarkable value.

In conclusion, Cuisinart has better design and construction, both ergonomically and practically (rolled edges and handles), easier clean up and maintenance, and out performs All Clad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, the joy of cooking..., April 13, 2006
D. Miller (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
...with the right pot.

When I was checking into buying more high-quality cookware a few years ago, I was totally sold on AllClad, but then a friend of mine whose job at the time was to test kitchen cookware (if you can believe that!) told me I should check out Cuisinart's MultiClad line instead. Turns out it's had the same features (and add-ons) as the AllClad I was so in love with (stainless steel wrapped around an aluminum core), but without the major price tag that comes with the "AllClad" name.

So I got the Cuisinart line and absolutely have loved it ever since - I've even been adding to my collection every year or so.

As far as comparing it to nonstick cookware...well, I still have some nonstick pieces, but I don't use them much - a little bit of Pam Cooking Spray, and I haven't had any trouble. It also comes with great cleaning instructions...in fact, mine still look almost new even though they're a few years old.

----------

Update - September 2010... I just wanted to add that I've had this set for almost 10 years of heavy use now and still love them. When I follow the cleaning instructions, they look new. I'm still adding to my collection and highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected, January 25, 2007
Great set at a fantastic price. I really wanted a set of All-Clads for quality and because they are manufactured here in the USA. I'm all about buying/supporting local first. However, I couldn't justify the price difference between an All-Clad set and the Multiclad Pro by Cuisinart. The price difference was just too great to ignore.

I used to work as a cook in several restaurants and I can assure anyone that doesn't know already that there are two types of cooks. One that cooks a lot and has stained pans to prove it. And the Other type that doesn't cook, much, and has the shiny pans to prove it. If you like to cook then expect any stainless pan(s) to get dirty. If you like them to have that showroom shine then I would suggest getting a second set just to display. Unless you have a lot of free time to buff and polish.

This Multiclad Pro set was made to use and I'm expecting it to last at least 30 yrs. It performs as expected. I like the thumb and finger groove on the handle tops for control while pouring and shaking. It heats evenly. The lids cover properly while the recessed part of the lids fit loose enough to allow steam to release. A snug fitting lid (ex. the old Revere Ware copper dipped sets) is potentially dangerous and not a desired feature. The 18/10 stainless steel feature is very durable. If you plan on owning and using this set for years then plan on using the "wrong" utensil now and then and this set can take it. I make no excuses for using steel utensils. And I use a copper bristled scrub brush during clean up. Here's a tip for easy clean up with stubborn stains. Run hot water from the sink and put a little in the pan (even if it was just used and the pan is hot) and put it back on the burner and bring to a quick boil. Then carefully place in sink and work the boiling water around with a nylon scrub brush. Personally I use my copper scrub brush without leaving scratches. Copper is softer than Stainless steel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High-End Cookware Set, February 25, 2007
C. MacMinn (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
My girlfriend and I did a huge amount of research when we were looking into buying a cookware set, and we found the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro to be by-far the best compromise between quality and price. They're substantially cheaper than, for example, the All-Clad MasterChef line, and they have a stainless steel exterior which is generally preferrable to aluminum for cleaning (dishwasher safe, among other things). We've been cooking hard with them for a few months now, and they've been awesome so far.

Notes:

1. Don't confuse these with the Cuisinart Chef's Classic line. Chef's Classic is cheaper, with thin, stainless-steel sides and an aluminum plate inside the bottom only. Multiclad Pro is fully clad -- aluminum in the bottom and all the way up the sides for more even heating, sandwiched between stainless steel on the inside and outside for durability and corrosion resistance.

2. Neither of the Cuisinart lines will work on an induction cooktop. If you have an induction cooktop or you're thinking of getting one someday, you may want to look elsewhere -- the All-Clad Stainless line might be your best bet, but they cost an arm and a leg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set at a great price., October 27, 2006
Dakar (Littleton, CO) - See all my reviews
This is a great set. I looked at Calphalon, All-Clad & Emeril (and others) before deciding on these. I have an All-Clad pan and yes they are great. But for a Stainless steel set like this, the All-Clad, Calphalon & Cusinart Multiclad are all made the same way. They all have stainless interior and exterior with an aluminum core that runs from the bottom up the sides. Cheaper sets like Cuisinart's Chefs Classic or Emeril's, only have the aluminum core on the bottom of the pan with little or no core on the sides.

The Multiclad, tri-ply, etc. sets will all perform basically the same way. However the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro is in my view an outstanding set of pans and they work great. I cannot see any reason to pay $100-$350 more for a set of pans that are basically the same thing. And, if you look at them closely, the Cuisinart Multiclad pans have a nicer more polished interior finish than Calphalon. That means they stick a little less and are easier to clean. The other benefit of stainless is it's dishwasher safe as well, but I usually hand wash. I've only had this set a few weeks but I've used most of the pans. And I've been so impressed by them that I have also purchased a few additional Cuisinart Multiclad pans to complete my set - the 4 Qt. sauce pan, the 5.5 Qt. saute' pan and their double boiler. I like the 4 Qt. size when I want to boil water but don't want to use a big pot. And just to let everyone know, I also have an old Cuisinart 12.5" skillet and it still looks and works great. I've used it on gas and electric stoves and it just works great. One other thing about these pans, you don't need to set the heat above medium for most cooking and to boil water, I only need med-high. I'm very happy with Cuisinart and I know these are the last pans like this I'll ever need to buy. I do own a few non-stick pans as well but I really don't use them that often now that I have these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Something Changed. Product should be considered Junk., August 10, 2011
M. Olechowski (Greenfield, WI United States) - See all my reviews

My pans started rusting on the bottoms (and I cook on a glass top) after only being used once or twice. Rust on brand new 'stainless' steel pieces? I 10 year old cheap-o stainless steel only posts and pans that have had a rough life with no rust on the stainless parts.

My pots also started having issues. Strange white stains on the bottoms. And strange multicolor spots that look as if the pot was left on the stove with nothing in it and allowed to get way to hot, but it wasnt. I only used the pots to boil water, and heat up sauce.

I tired using bar keepers friend to clean the pots because I've had good luck with it in the past, not with these. I was very let down by this set, I was hoping for all-clad quality/style for half price, but got a product that wasn't even worth what I paid for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do NOT purchase from this company., January 25, 2012
Ted M. Gabor (Bealeton, VA, US) - See all my reviews
[[ASIN:B0007KQZWU Cuisinart MCP-12 MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set] ]I purchased this set about 3 months ago. The 8 qt. stockpot has developed pitting on bottom of pot after 2 uses (boiling water for pasta). Cuisinart's customer service (or lack of) stated emphatically that I needed to send the pot back with a $7. dollar check for their "evaluation" of the defect. They would then determine if there is a product defect then determine whether replacement or repair would be the next step. The shipping charges would not be covered. I would have to pay for shipping. They were very nasty and not concerned at all with this problem which has been documented on this product review. I wish that I had utilized the reviews before making this purchase. I am not as dissaapointed in the product, things do happen, but the attitude and shifting all the responsibility on me is certainly not "customer SERVICE".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product at a great price, January 11, 2007
I purchased these pots and pans in December 2006 and I've resisted writing the simple "these things look great!" reviews.

Prior to purchasing this set I did some research and searching to see if the construction of these pans, their materials, and their performance was what I wanted. I like to cook, and I like to cook for large groups of people. This set replaced a crappy non-stick set I had and since I've had them I have used each and every piece multiple times.

The pans work great. Coming from non-stick it took a bit to get used to. I found I needed to gradually heat the pan, add oil or butter, and then add whatever I wanted to cook. Done like this, eggs come out great with minimal sticking. They behave like cast-iron but don't hold their heat as well. That's not to say they don't heat evenly, or retain heat, but cast-iron is the best material for that. These pans allow and almost force you to cook at a lower temperature, which in turn allows flavors to more fully develop in your dishes, and who wouldn't want that?

I have used them for the following tasks:

Eggs/omelets

Searing yellow-fin tuna

Frying chicken

Grilled cheese (great!)

Making roux

Making mac&cheese (both box and scratch)

Blackening pork loin

Oatmeal

Steaming broccoli

Toasting walnuts

Making various sauces

Sautéing onions and peppers

In each task, and it has only been a few weeks, this product has performed better than I expected.

On the off hand chance something does stick to the surface, a simple pre-wash soaking gets it off. I'm not all that worried about having them look like they're unused and sort of feel some of those people don't really want to cook with them but rather want people to think they do. However, if you wash and dry them they stay looking great. When they do discolor, and they will, a bit of barkeepers friend and a wet rag do the trick.

On the whole I strongly recommend this product. My friend received an All-Clad Sauté pan around the same time and the construction is virtually the same, with the only difference being the All-Clad line can work with an induction stove, whereas these do not, but I don't do induction cooking, and neither does he, so it doesn't really matter.

These pans might not make you a better cook but, if used correctly, they should make your food taste better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective out of the box -- stay away, May 19, 2011
Ronald Michener "williamdouglass" (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
White splotches appeared in the bottom of the saucepan the first time we used it to heat beans -- and we used medium heat. The same saucepan heated water the next night, and the white splotches began to look rusty. This was a BRAND NEW saucepan. All Cuisinart wants to do is recommend cleaning products to us. But this is not food residue, it is something in the manufacture and finish of the pans themselves. Don't buy this stuff. Take heed of the recent negative reviews. I wish I had.