4.0 out of 5 stars Not really programmable, but better than average quality.
Published on August 8, 2009 by Midwest birdwatcher

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very happy with this one!
Published on August 7, 2010 by Diana

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really programmable, but better than average quality., August 8, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker (Kitchen)
This cooker has a digital timer that you can set to cook at your chosen setting (Simmer, Low, High) for any time up to 24 hours. At the end of the set cooking time, it automatically switches to Warm, and then switches itself off after another eight hours. IMO, a truly "Programmable" cooker would change heat settings during cooking, and perhaps have a delayed start function; this unit does neither.

On the other hand, the Simmer setting is what's missing from some other slow cookers, and perhaps that's why foods get burned. This cooker heats to 185°F on Simmer, 200°F on Low, 212°F on High, and 165°F on Warm. Some cook books, including Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, assume that Low is 180°. 180°F is the oven temperature I've always used for slow cooking a leg of lamb, London broil, and other roasts, so the lower Simmer setting is something I appreciate.

The stainless steel housing, glass lid, control panel, and ceramic pot are all nicely constructed and finished - nothing's cheap-looking or flimsy - and looks like they'll last for years. The 3-1/2qt oval pot holds a 2-1/2lb chuck roast without the meat touching the sides, and there's enough room for a layer of vegetables (a couple of cups chopped) a layer a meat a couple inches thick, and new potatoes on top. You could cook a complete meal in this for three or four people. Mine is a one-person household and this is the ideal size for me; anything smaller wouldn't make enough leftovers.

The included cookbook has nutritional information - number of servings, calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and more - for all 50 recipes. I gave it four stars instead of five because it's not what I consider programmable, but I'm very pleased with it for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slow Cooker out of my 9, November 5, 2010
I am working on a slow cooker cookbook and I have 10 slow cookers. This is my favorite slow cooker of all of the ones I own because of the elusive third cooking temperature choice - simmer. New slow cookers cook about twice as hot as the old ones. So if you are cooking a recipe from an old cookbook it will most likely burn on low in any new slow cooker. The simmer setting on this slow cooker mimics the old low and that alone id amazing.

For the people who think it is not programmable any slow cooker that says it's programmable will mean it's switching to a warm setting after the amount of time you enter in. If it waited that 4 hours before starting you could get food poisoning, so you won't be seeing that as a feature anytime soon. But be aware that changing to warm can save your food if you come home late, so it's still a great function.

The 3 1/2 quart size is perfect for 2 or 3 people. If you are looking for a larger family you may want to get the 4 or 6 quart one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 24, 2009
Vickie Deangelis "Vickie D." (Alabaster, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this slow cooker! If this was available a few years ago I could have saved tons of money trying to find a slow cooker that didn't overcook everything! I've not had it very long but have made 3 dishes already and each turned out perfect,not boiled beyond recognition. I have purchased at least 3 Rival slow cookers and either took them back or sold them at my garage sale. Each of them boiled everything even on low,not to mention had issues with water dripping onto the countertop from under the lid! The one that seemed to work the best prior to purchasing the Cuisinart was the Corelle 4qt slow cooker, but it did not give me the option of setting the exact time...anything set under 7 hrs automatically cooked on high. I also have the Kitchenaid which is a great slow cooker but is 7qts...now they say you can make smaller recipes with no problems, but almost all recipes sized for a 3-4 qt slow cooker overcooked when I tried to use it. I probably could have tried adjusting the cooking time or something but just didn't want to go to the bother. If you're making a large amount then it's awesome. It was very expensive also. So as you can see, I have tried a number of them. The Cuisinart is the perfect size for the two of us, with leftovers to boot. I have not had problems with over cooking. I would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great slow cooker!!, March 27, 2009
Audrey R. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I love cooking and this slow cooker is a huge plus! I was looking for a small-size slow cooker between 3qt and 4qt with a timer. As far as I know, Cuisinart is the only brand that clears my requirements. The stainless steel finish makes it modern and clean looking.

This slow cooker is very easy to use. Just plug in, turn on, set the cooking time (+- by 30 min)and choose the heat setting. I made beef goulash and the meat was cooked so tender. The 3.5qt oval size pot is perfect for 2-4 people. You can easily cook large meat or a small portion of food. My only concern is that the surface gets very hot while cooking. You don't want to put anything flammable around it.
Overall, I love this slow cooker!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Small Recipes or 1-2 People, Easier to Clean, August 26, 2012
Length:: 6:49 Mins

We love it. It is an ideal size for small recipes for 1-2 people, with limited left overs depending on how much you eat, fill your plate or just 1/3 your plate with other sides like a veggie & potatoes or roll. But it doesn't fit everything that you would want to make. Realistically you will likely need both a 3.5 and 5 quart crock pots to select based on the size of the recipe. We still use this 3.5qt most for 2 of us, but have on occasion found it filled too quickly and switched over to the 5qt. Remember, any crock pot should only be filled to 2/3, not the top that is shown in all pictures on any box. We had started with a lot of veggies and potatoes and found we were already at 2/3 on this 3.5qt before we could even add the meat, so we switched to the 5qt. But then you do not want to always use a 5qt either, because you do not want too little in. So we end up using this 3.5qt most for the 2 of us, but have to occasionally use 5qt. The 3.5qt pot is easier to clean because it is smaller and weighs less than the 5qt.

The construction and quality of this pot seem very good to us. The lid is standard thickness for crock pots, and there doesn't seem to be any need for it to be heavier while it is cooking. It does build up condensed water around the ring of the lid and bubbles out during cooking as it continually pushed out steam. The 4 settings seem to give you plenty of flexibility, but we use low for most, and the automatic switch to warming mode is nice. The recipe book was actually nice compared to a Crock Pot brand 5qt (that we also like) that claimed a recipe book, but really only added a few pages at the pack of its manual. This one is a nice spiral bound book, but no pictures.

We couldn't always just set it and forget it, or just follow the exact time on the recipe. You really have to experiment to find the ideal cooking time for you. We found our recipes are done earlier than the usual 8 hours stated in our recipes, and ended up getting overcooked. So you make it once, realize it is dryer or veggies are overcooked, so you reduce the time next time. So the meals weren't perfect the first time we did any recipe so far, but were better the second time around when we made cooking time adjustments. For example, the first meal shown in the video was overdone, apples overcooked, and meat was a bit tough, which I think you can see in the video. So next time, just cook it less. For some meats, you really should test with a probe thermometer to ensure it is safely cooked, but hopefully only to confirm it is done, not to check frequently because you have to add cooking time every time you remove the lid. For the second meal shown in the video (pulled pork), it too cooked longer than needed the first time, and was better the second time when we checked the temperature earlier and confirmed done earlier. The best success we had with this was making pulled pork. Btw, I skipped showing the steps testing the meat temperature, adding the BBQ sauce, and using a fork to shred the pork.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very happy with this one!, August 7, 2010
Diana "Mooseworks" (gardnerville, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
Well - I used this cooker three or four times and it never did work to my satisfaction. On low, the meat did not get done as well as it did in my old Crock Pot - you know - falling off the bone. To remedy this, when I attempted to use it last week I started out on high with the plan to lower it later in the day to low. When I came back a couple of hours later, it was throwing a message that said ERR - never a good sign! I unplugged it, let it sit an hour, which is what they said at Cuisinart I should do (after taking all the food out of it of course) plugged it back in and tried again - same problem! I finally moved all the food into my old crock pot - which luckily I had saved - and was able to rescue dinner! Cuisinart wanted me to pay for shipping back to them (a fortune for something this heavy!) plus 10 dollars to send me a new one - and this one was defective! That did not make me happy or sound like good customer relations to me! Amazon however was great! They credited my account the 49 dollars (but not the 12 shopping which is another story) so I am almost back to where I was - only minus a crock pot I can trust. I don't know if this particular one was just a dud - but I would not buy another one of these! Now I have to go on the search for a workable crock pot once again! Bummer...

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY.....A KEEPER, October 7, 2009
vlc "vlc" (Littleton CO) - See all my reviews
I love this slow cooker! You have no idea how many expensive and inexpensive slow cookers I've had to return due to overcooking the food; and/or cooking too hot at the low setting. This Cuisinart has a "simmer" setting which is set lower than the "low" setting. For long-term cooking, this is my preferred heat setting. You can't go wrong with this one, folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and very convenient!, September 21, 2009
My daughter is a first time in college student and she had been begging me to get her a slow cooker for college. I shopped around and this slow cooker was the smallest digital one I could find. I thought it was too big for her needs, but bought it for her anyway and she could not be more happy! She loves it to death. She says that cleaning it is very simple since you can remove the black pot, it is very easy to choose the amount of heat and time you want to cook the food for, and that the food she makes comes out absolutely delicious and lasts her for days! One thing she finds particularly helpful is the automatic warm feature. Once the food is done cooking she doesn't have to worry about it burning, she can go to class and come back for dinner! It is not too heavy and while it does take up quite a bit of space the usefulness of it far outweighs that small disadvantage. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has very little time on their hands to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a slow cooker that works!, February 16, 2010
I had a Rival 6 qt slow cooker and rarely used it. First, it was too big; when I bought it, there was no available information about the appropriate size for needs. I cook for my husband and myself and a 6 qt crockpot was way too big. Second, it only had 2 heat settings and I couldn't manually enter a time... I had 2 time choices for each heat setting. So, if a recipe said to cook on low for 6 hrs... I couldn't. 8 hrs was the shortest amount of time.

I bought this crockpot hoping it would work out better for us. I work full time, my husband works nights, we have a 20 month old as well. I have about a 1hr window in which to cook dinner... and that cuts into my only available time for the gym and my only time during the week with my son. I needed some way to be able to have home cooked meals without the effort!

I use this crockpot several nights a week. Chicken, soup, pasta sauce, pork, beef... you name it. It all comes out perfect (unless I happen to set the timer to high or too long). Other people have mentioned steam escaping, and rattling of the lid, I have experienced nothing but a perfectly functional life saver!

It is so wonderful to come home to a kitchen that smells like a wonderful home cooked meal, knowing the next 2 hrs before we eat are mine to do with what I will because dinner is ready and waiting!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best buys for the kitchen!, March 7, 2010
Nancy Broden (San Francisco, California United States) - See all my reviews
I've never been one to spend hours in the kitchen which means the meals I make never take longer than 15-20 min to prepare. Sadly for my husband, this means precious few tasty meat dishes. I had considered getting a slow cooker so that I could remedy the situation but the majority of the ones on the market are far too large for my 2-person household. The Cuisinart 3 1/2 quart cooker is exactly the right size for us. It makes ~ 6-8 servings, so plenty left over for meals throughout the week. I have used my slow cooker every weekend since I received it about 2 months ago and made spare ribs, lemon chicken, lasagna, split pea soup, chili - you name it. Everything has been delicious. I took one reviewer's advice and use the "simmer" setting instead of "low". Works like a charm. I have had no issues with the quality of the appliance. It is easy to use and easy to clean. Hands-down it has been my best buy for the kitchen!

Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker