1,397
Cuisinart SS-700 Single Serve Brewing System, Silver
Color Name: SilverChange
Price:$180.93 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color Name: Silver
This unit replaces a Keurig mini that I now us for travel. It makes a flavorful, hot cup of coffee. I have been a Keurig fan for three years. I purchased this machine in Feb. 2010 from BB&B. Like other readers, I have had a few pump problems when there seemed to be an air lock in the pump and water would not flow into the heating chamber. The instruction booklet tells you to turn it off and unplug the unit, then restart. I have found that when I refill the water tank I just need to make sure it is properly seated and tap it to make sure the water is getting into the hose that pumps it into the heating chamber. I also use the hot water feature the first "brew" after refilling the tank to make sure the pump is pulling water. (The easiest solution to the pump "problem" is to not take the water chamber off of the base and just refill it with a pitcher as needed.) I did some online research and found that this pump problem was suppose to have been fixed since I purchased my machine. I might have returned this machine for the newer "fixed" model if the BB&B where I purchased it had not closed. I love the coffee from this machine and have had no further pump issues since employing the solutions noted above.
7474 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,073 of 1,124 people found the following review helpful
on July 8, 2010
Color Name: Silver
As many others here, I have evolved from a Keurig system. So for those thinking about buying a Keurig, please fully read all the reviews you can. If it wasnt for me being the only coffee drinker in the house, I wouldnt require a single cup brewing system. So for those looking into buying Keurig brewing system, consider the Cuisinart. It is licensed to be manufactured by Keurig, bu appears to be much better quality. I had my first Keurig go out with within 6 months. Then my second stopped functioning properly after less than 45-days. Same issue as another review, the Keurig Platinum began brewing small, random sized amounts of coffee and would also get confused on how much to brew and when to stop. Found out once it was returned to the store, the unit was recalled (for defective water pumps). Which also meant ALL the stores in town were ALL sold out...as they were all returned to the vendor.

Now, my buddy convinced me to get the Cuisinart. I have owned many Cuisinart kitchen utensils, but never anything electric. So I was skeptical to say the least. But at the same time I had to replace my last 2 Keurigs. So why not.

Now, 2 months later, a whole lot of coffee (125 servings +) and it is working great! I can only hope that Cuisinart has a more reliable vendor for there water pumps than Keurig. As that seems to be the big issue with all Keurig machines.

The Good:

-Power Switch is on the side of the machine (compared to the back of the machine on Keurigs)
-Water Tank Size
-Replaceable Charcoal Water filter
-FREE, reusable Keurig coffee filter
-Quiet
-Reliable (so far)....what a concept
-More cup size options
-"Rinse" button
-Pre-set water temps
-Auto On/Off
-Read-Out display clearly states "Not Ready" and "Ready"
-"Hot Water" button will dispense a full cup of hot water (which ever size you have selected will be dispensed in hot water)

The Bad:

-Power Switch is on the side of the machine....PUT IT ON THE FRONT ALREADY!
-Large footprint
-"Low Water Level" flashing blue LEDs are annoying. Its a clear water tank, I can see its low/empty
-Bottom catch/drip tray doesnt stay in place very well
-If you place a K-Cup inside the unit before its "Ready" (see above in The Good), it will not recognize the K-Cup once it is ready to brew. So you must lift and close the access lid one more time to allow it to brew. Not very time saving.
-"Hot Water" button will dispense a full cup of hot water; so if your machine is used primarily for coffee, you will have random loose chunks of old coffee grounds floating around in your cup of hot water since its inevitable to NOT get coffee grounds on the unit.
-Parts are not necessarily dishwasher safe. So I suggest hand washing periodically.

I will try to remember to give a 6-month review on the quality.

08/01/2010 (175+ K-Cups)

Sadly, this follow-up is not what I had hoped. But, maybe it needs to be de-scaled/cleaned? Anyway, here is the new "problem"....(tsk tsk tsk)

The Setup: The machine, after brewing a cup will "prime" the system by sucking in what I would consider about 1/2 of the water necessary to brew a cup into the system itself. I would think this is done to heat the water inside the system, so the water temperature stays at a more consistent/constant temperature. This makes sense considering the machine has pre-set water temp setting and it must be quite difficult to keep the water exiting the system at a constant temperature.

The Fail: After brewing only one cup, the system triggers the prime function and sucks in how ever many ounces it needs. But, it doesnt suck in any water. The machine makes all the appropriate noises, but the water level inside the tank stays the same and it wont stop! This function normally takes about 3-5 seconds to complete. 10+ seconds later, it still has not achieved anything (poor little water pump)! That will be the number one killer of a water pump is dry-cycling. Argh!!!

So the solution so far is to shut off the unit, turn it back on and viola! It works! Now every time the unit does not have enough water inside, it will always prime itself by pumping in the appropriate amount of water. So this causes the water pump to work 2-3x more than most coffee pots. Maybe its over working the pump?

*Clean/De-Scale the unit: This is recommended every month or so. I have chosen NOT to do it since I use bottled (distilled) water 100% of the time along with the little charcoal filter that comes with it. I dont want to go waste 3 bottles of water cleaning out a system that should be perfectly clean anyway! I would assume the clean/de-scale is meant for people who have good tasting tap water (which we do not have in Las Vegas).

Maybe the charcoal filter is "clogged" and not allowing water to seep through as quickly? Who knows...

Ill update if anything else goes wrong!

8/28/10

Problem continues as posted above. I have de-scaled the system, but it didn't help. The entire system was perfectly clean and de-scaling did not dislodge anything. Ive come to now realize this isn't really a problem as much as it is an inconvenience. You must cycle the system off/on to make it work. I let it sit a few night ago for about 3 minutes, and it never remedied itself. =0(

11/27/10 (Unit #2)

Finally had to replace it! The machine has gradually become slower, noisier and overall horribly inefficient. The machine would take forever to heat up, multiple attempts to suck water into the machine from the reservoir and then began dispensing water back into the reservoir and not brewing coffee. Last 5 days before the machine was finally returned for a new unit, brewing coffee was painful and time consuming. Took 3-4 cycles to brew a single 12oz cup. Got it replaced and got a new one last night. Amazingly, this machine really got worn out fast. The new one its a whole lot quieter, faster and some simple things like the on/off switch works a lot easier and other issues.

03/05/2011 (Unit #3)

The water pump again took a crap on me. The unit and pump had once again slowly gotten noisier and slower. This time (the past few weeks) the unit took about 10 seconds of wait time to simply begin brewing. Just as a reminder. I am the only person using the unit. The unit runs about 1.15 servings a day on average. Pretty crappy reliability. But...more "free" coffee and a new Keurig "Make Your Own" filter. Im up to 3 now!
127127 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,084 of 1,153 people found the following review helpful
on December 15, 2011
Color Name: Silver
I have both Keurig and Cuisinart K cup machines...

About me... I am an embedded systems design engineer and know about control systems and such.

Food processing products should only use parts ( components ) in the water / control systems - internal to the coffee maker - that are "fit for purpose" as designed to be use with WATER.. as a coffee maker uses water.

I have opened several of my failed Keurig and Cusinart K cup machines and found that they are using an AUTOMOTIVE Market Pneumatic Solenoid Valve made in China.. part number SH-V0829...Google this number if you want to check and see this. It is designed for auto seat cushon inflation and has a built in LEAK RATE of 1CC/Min at 4 PSI for air compresser unloading used in seat cushon inflation systems. It is NOT WATER PROOF and DRIPS inside the coffee makers in the transformer and the air pump near the bottom getting the electric motor wet and make it smoke.. My coffee maker was way too young to smoke .. hahha just a joke..

The folk that make this coffee maker IN CHINA think most folk are too stupid to find out about their use of cheep and unfit for purpose components inside their coffee maker. I have attached a DOOR and Hinge on the back of one of my coffee makers that I keep repaired personally.. and buy the replacement control solenoids on ebay to keep my coffee maker working.... THIS SUCKS..... I was ripped off...

I did not pay for a rusty solenoid that leaks water inside my $250.00 coffee machine. When I call Keurig... they do talk some but avoid the topic of this solenoid.. just reading a standard reply statement... When I talk to Cuisinart.. they have nothing to say but want my $10 for shipping a replacement unit... also with the same defective solenoid inside of the same type and part number...

I want to like my coffee maker.... but I do not like being treated like a fool ...

My old Mr Coffee has very nice insides... good design.. and lasted a long time... I am wanting to see Mr Coffee make a K cup that I would like... Cuisinart and Keurig are only about making money .. and not delivering INTERNAL quality of their product with this machine.. They come from the SAME China factory...and they are made using non water proof - no O ring - air only - pneumatic solenoid valves... The part numbers are on the side of the solenoid if you care to open up your machine and look... Do not have it plugged in if you do.. safety first..

I hope you like having RUSTY water in your hot water for making tea and coffee.... the solenoid does rust internally as it is only for air usage...not made for water exposure...

I have photos and also plan to use this experince in a control system class I teach at a University as an example of poor ethics in business manufacturing...

I need not say how MAD I am over this discovery .....and the lack of interest from the folks that make this product..

Barnum and Bailey.. a sucker is born every minute... that must be their motto..

I must be a sucker... THAT SUCKS
6262 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2011
I read a number of these reviews. The horror stories about these machines working and then ceasing to work were more than enough for me to steer clear. When the office I work at bought one of these machines, I figured that this would be my chance to find out just how well this machine worked without having any personal finances in play. Let's face it, these machines are an investment. This machine was so much fun to use, just about everyone in the office jumped on board and bought some version of the K-Cup system. I was more interested in this particular model. So, I watched and waited.

Pretty soon, just like other users, the office Cuisinart ran into problems. A K-Cup would be put in the machine, the Brew button would be pressed, the machine would make sounds as if it was trying to brew, some liquid may start dripping into the cup below, but then nothing. This same problem happened to one of the co-workers who had bought this Cuisinart model for their home. The manual was referred to, troubleshooting ensued, tinkering occurred, but nothing seemed to work. One of the home Cuisinarts ended up going back to the store to be exchanged. An inquisitive co-worker at the office, however, took a straightened paper clip and started poking around. After a number of "pokes" with the paper clip in the part of the machine that is sharp, but hollow that pokes into the K-Cup, the office Cuisinart was back in working order. The co-worker who had replaced their machine at home, again, ran into the same problem. The Cuisinart stopped working. Using a paper clip to clear the same part, the home machine was returned to working order.

*** I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU LOOK AT THE K-CUPS THEMSELVES ***

While this may not apply to everyone who is running into problems with this Cuisinart model, this may help some of you, thanks to that same paper clip wielding co-worker. And if anything, it may help if you end up purchasing this machine by avoiding one of the problems that may be plaguing others. In my case, the K-Cups come from a lower elevation than where I reside, so there is a LOT of pressure in the K-Cups. Prior to putting the K-Cup in the machine, we poke the cover of the K-Cup. It doesn't really matter where. I favor right in the middle where the Cuisinart machine will eventually poke the K-Cup. Make sure to gently press the lid/foil of the K-Cup down to force out the excessive air. Then you use the machine just as you regularly would. Since coming across this realization and releasing the pressure in the K-Cups, the office Cuisinart machine and the various co-workers with their home Cuisinart machines have reported no more issues. Including myself. I bought one of these machines after running this field test of almost five months. I figure if I try and keep any K-Cups contents from being forced into the machine through the entry needle (the sharp hollow point) in the first place, hopefully, I won't have clogging problems down the line. This may also keep random grounds from ending up in your cup. I'm not sure about the inner workings of this particular machine, so who knows how far interloping K-Cup contents can travel in this machine and what problems they or eventual build-up can actually lead to, but at least for me...so far, so good!

I'm not a coffee drinker at all. But this machine comes in very handy for all the coffee drinkers who visit. I don't have to try to figure out how much to brew, remember who likes what, wait for the coffee to finish, or be stuck with a leftover pot of coffee. You select the size. There is a huge variety of flavors. It is quick. But, it is not cheap. That would be the detractor so far for the K-Cup system as a whole. Also, if you are a Hot Chocolate fan, you probably do not want to add more than 8 ounces of water. I would suspect that Hot Cider is the same. I'm not sure if this is a fad and will eventually go the way of the 8-Track tape, but at least for me...it works and works well for just what I need.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2010
Color Name: Silver
I have been using a Keurig Platinum Machine for about a year now and had to replace it 2 times. Once for both hot and cold water draining out of the bottom of the unit and the second for making expresso size cups when I asked for the 11.25 oz. cup. I returned the Keurig and got this Brand New Cuisinart about 3 weeks ago. It works great, the water container is larger and the max cup size is 12oz. I get great cups of coffee and the machine works beautifully. I use regular tap water with the charcoal filters and the coffee taste is super. So far this machine is the best I have had and I think Cuisinart makes a superior product every time. You can make your own Kcups since Cuisinart has included one in the side of the machine for your delight at no extra cost.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2010
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
Great coffee, but, as others have said, when the water tank is returned to the unit, the coffee maker will sometimes fail to pump any more water. A bubble of air gets sucked into the chamber housing the pump impeller and the pump just spins in the air, failing to pull any water. I bought my unit in December, 2010, six months after a previous reviewer had learned the new units were fixed. They aren't, and doing so will require a significant redesign.

Adding injury to insult

I called the 800 number, per the instructions in the manual when we could pull no water the very first time my wife refilled the reservoir. The recording told us over and over and over to find the model and serial number on the bottom of the unit. Foolishly, I decided to comply. I pulled off the reservoir, then turned the unit over on its side to find the model and serial number on the bottom, as instructed. Boiling hot water sputtered and flowed out of the unit and all over my hand. The good news? When that happened, the air bubble cleared and the coffee machine began to work once more.

Lessons learned:

1) Fill the reservoir with a pitcher, so you never have to remove it.

2) When you do have to remove & replace the reservoir, whack at the base of the reservoir with the filter holder until all the air bubbles have floated to the top.

3) If it won't pump, you can clear the air bubble by tipping the coffee maker. Next time, however, I will unplug it first, then try tipping it forward over the sink, not sideways over my hand. Or perhaps just shaking it a bit will clear the bubble. And if I do have to tip it sideways, I will tip it toward the reservoir, not toward the electronics, as I did this time.

Lesson Cuisinart ought to learn (and probably won't until they get sued for a few million dollars): Don't instruct customers to read model and serial info from the bottom of your appliances when at least one of your appliances contains boiling water hidden inside, just waiting to spill out. I shudder when I think about what will happened when someone, instead of laying the coffee maker on its side, lifts it up over his or her head, then tips it just enough while reading the serial number to cascade boiling water right in their eyes.

If I were Consumer Reports, I would rate this appliance Not Acceptable and report them to the US Product Safety Commission. As it is, I'll only do the latter, and it still gets three stars because of the great coffee.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2010
Color Name: Silver
My wife and I began the "single serving" coffee maker quest 4 years ago. We went cheap at first, purchasing a Black & Decker unit for $56...what a disaster!!! Water all over the place and extremely disappointing flavor results. So we decided to quit messing...I do mean MESSING...around and got ourselves the Bunn "My Cafe'" for $350. We were satisfied with the results despite the noises it produced, but found that again, the inconsistency of the results due to varying fineness of the grind between different brands. Too course, it was weak, too fine, the machine had a heck of a time pushing through the water so you had to perform two cycles to get the amount of coffee we desired, plus it put a strain on the pump and discharge line. Well after a year or so, the inline check valve on the discharge line split...leaking water all inside the machine and all over the counter. We decided to get another one since overall we liked the results....and it worked fine, right up to the date we got the Cuisinart SS-700. The deciding factor was we were seeing that Pods were going the way of the Betamax...getting scarce, and expensive online (shipping etc). So I started making my own pods with the "Perfect Pod Maker"....what a pain in the %#*! It was time to make the
switch to the Keurig system! Friends of ours had gotten the basic model Keurig maker a year ago, we weren't particularly impressed with the flavor, plus the noise was horrid. So I did my research and found that the Cuisinart model consistently review positively, and one independent testing outfit said it was flat out the BEST...period. So we took the leap.

First off, it looks impressive! But as I found out, that impressiveness went way beyond it's looks. The initial set up was straight forward and effortless. Even setting up the clock/automatic functions was a piece of cake. My first actual test of it's coffee making abilities was with using the included My K-Cup reusable filter with the coffee I was using to make my own pods with.....ASTOUNDING!!!! 1000% difference in flavor. Plus the noise level was extremely low, it went through the cycle effortlessly. So I said, "okay, what will the pre-packaged cups do?" I was blown away! Fantastic flavor, the temperature was spot on, and virtually no mess. I have since brewed a dozen different flavors/brands, and each one becomes my new favorite....SOLD!!!

I have gone through this long, drawn out review to indicate that I have seen all the rest/best....folks, you CANNOT GO WRONG with this machine. It is the rare combination of not only looking great...my wife LOVES that part, but we both are giddy about the results it produces. And it does so not sounding like a 747. I think what separates this unit from the others is the brewing temperature. All I know is that we are both rediscovering the pure pleasures of a good cup of coffee that is hassle free to make, from a unit that is pleasing to the eye. Take it from someone who has been on all sides of this "single server" equation... the Cuisinart SS-700 will bring you great coffee pleasure...end of sentence!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2010
Color Name: Silver
Absolutely love this product. But I didn't when I first got it! The first couple of brews of coffee had a plastic taste to it. So I filled the tank, added two tablespoons of white vinegar, and brewed cleanly (no coffee) until the tank was empty. I then refilled the tank 2 more times, but without vinegar, and ran it through.

Now the coffee tastes great and I love this machine!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2010
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
After about 2 months of research, I finally bought this as a b-day present for the wife. She just started drinking coffee and I figured this would be a good way for her to try things out instead of making a whole pot of something she may not like.

She uses it every morning and I use it on the weekends...as well as family members who love to try different flavors when they come over.

We keep the water reservoir on the machine so the seal doesn't get messed up and burn out the pump if no water gets sucked in. We also use the filter and use filtered water. (can't be too careful)

The things I really like are the on/off timer and auto off feature. You don't need the auto off feature if you stick to a strict coffee drinking schedule, but it's nice if you make a cup at a random time of the day and forget to flip the switch off at the side.

I usually use the 8 oz or 10 oz option. Some of the regular coffees (morning blend, etc) are weak at the 10 or 12 oz. settings (which the wife uses), but my darker coffees are just right at the 10 oz. We haven't used the 4 oz. iced option yet.

The rinse feature is nice as well as just being able to get hot water for tea, hot chocolate, etc.

I also liked that it has a 3 year warranty, because I know many of these ss makers have issues.

Still working great after 2 months of everyday use. I hope it works like this for years to come.

edit: still working like a champ 6 months later. the wife uses it every day and I make 5-6 cups on the weekends.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2010
Color Name: Silver
I purchased the Cuisinart after going through 3 Keurig B70s and a Brevelle since Christmas, (all three were defective with pump problems and very LOUD.) The Brevelle 700 worked okay but had these really annoying flashing lights that flashed all the time "Open Head". The arrow lights were extremely bright and bothersome.
So far the Cuisinart SS700 works really well. Very little noise and the pump works just fine. I like the larger water tank and nothing flashes at me!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations