I bought this after my Adagio Teas triniTea Electric 32-Ounce Tea Maker began deteriorating after about a year. I've been using the Cuisinart for about two weeks now, and I really like it compared to the Adagio maker. Below are my list of pros and cons (when comparing this to the Adagio.)

THE GOOD:

The Cuisinart tea maker is a very sturdy device (the...
Published on March 2, 2012 by Kevin Currie-Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Product only seems to have an eight month lifespan..
Published on January 27, 2012 by Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Do Everything to Perfection, but a Solid and Good Machine., March 2, 2012
This review is from: Cuisinart TEA-100 PerfecTemp Programmable Tea Steeper and Kettle (Kitchen)

THE GOOD:

The Cuisinart tea maker is a very sturdy device (the kind Cuisinart is known for.) The carafe is very good, the spout does not dribble when it pours, and all of the parts seem to be made quite well. It is also quite easy to use; reading the directions are probably a minor necessity, but once you get the quick hang of it, it is very easy to use. () Fill your carafe and steeper. (b) Turn on and program the desired water temperature. (c) When that is reached and the machine beeps, lower the stepper (with a twist of the dial) and program the steeping time. (d) Once that time is reached and the machine beeps, bring the steeper back up and pour your cup. Lastly, I like that the "keep warm" feature not only keeps the tea at your selected temperature, but stops after 30 minutes (keeping in mind that the carafe still holds the heat for another 45 or so minutes, even when the burner is off).

THE BAD:

For all that, there are a few minor annoyances. First, unlike the Trinitea, which does everything for you (like a coffee maker), this machine requires a fair amount of manual attention when your tea is brewing. That is, the steeper doesn't extend and retract by itself, but relies on you to manually adjust it. This is only a minor annoyance, but it does mean that you can basically get the same results with buying an electronic kettle and an Adagio Teas 16-Ounce Ingenuitea Teapot, keeping the time yourself. (It also means that I can't just turn the machine on and do other things while it is brewing.) Secondly, while I love the fact that the "keep warm" feature shuts off automatically after a certain time, I'd love it if we had the option to choose how much time we wanted it to stay on for. I take my time with my tea, and 30 minutes is JUST too short for me to enjoy my customary 3 cups without having to microwave the last of them. Again, not a big deal, but something to consider. (Of course, the Trinitea nokt only doesn't have an automatic shut off feature, but the "keep warm" setting should read "keep luke warm" because that's what it does. So I can't complain too much about the Cuisinart.)

So, if you are considering a tea maker, I would strongly recommend this over the Trinitea (which several people have noted breaks down after a fairly short time.) This machine is sturdier, makes tea that is every bit as good, and does a good job of keeping it warm (for at least 30 minutes) after it is steeped. But just be advised that this is not an "automatic" machine that you can turn on and let do its thing; it does require manual adjustments of the steeper when it is making your tea. If money is an issue, you might just consider getting an electric kettle and a cheaper Adagio Teas 16-Ounce Ingenuitea Teapot and controlling the time and temperature yourself. But if you can spend very-low-triple-digits on a machine, this is a really good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product only seems to have an eight month lifespan.., January 27, 2012
FINAL UPDATE 6/20/2013: The replacement I was sent by Cuisinart died after eight months, just like its predecessor. The unit was kept clean, the base dry and it handled with care. I used it once about 5-6 times a week, so it's not as though it was being used all day every day. I love the looks the unit and the ability to heat water to different temperatures, but I am now in the market for another electric kettle. A kettle that costs over $100 should last longer than eight months...

UPDATE 10/24/2012: After approximately eight months of consistent usage, the kettle shorted out. When plugged in, all the lights flashed and I was unable to select any of the options. I'd say that it was used about 1-2 times a day for about eight months. While used frequently, it wasn't abused in any way. I kept it reasonably dry on the outside and no dropping/rough handling.

This product has a three year warranty. So, I called Cuisinart and paid ten bucks for them to send me a new one. And, of course, I had to ship the old one back. I will use the brand new one and update this review periodically. Hopefully I just got a bit of a bum unit the first time...Nevertheless, doesn't inspire much confidence as this was a new model on the market when I purchased it.

And to the person who asked: Yes, it is BPA free. :)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: It's a little embarrassing, but as an avid tea drinker (around 4 cups a day), this is my first electric kettle. After my trusty stove-top kettle stopped whistling and found fit to spit scolding water, I was in the market for a new one. I wanted an electric kettle for the safety features and convenience. I searched online for a kettle made of quality materials (glass, stainless steel, and BPA-free). And since I mainly drink green, yerba mate and white teas, I became increasingly sold on the new variable temperature options. Not necessary to make a good cup of tea, but it sure does make the process fool-proof.

Armed with research, I went to my local Bed, Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon (which I would recommend if you have one in your area since my kettle came to One-hundred and three dollars, about twenty-six dollars cheaper than the current advertised price on Amazon). In the end, it came down to this kettle and the Breville One-Touch Tea Maker. At first glance, you would think this to be a poor substitute for the Breville, but side-by-side, the quality of the construction seems equal. Also, since this kettle has a manual steeping basket, it has fewer automated parts and is less likely to break down. Plus, it comes with a separate lid that removes the steeping mechanism, should you wish.

At first, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out the steeping mechanism and lid. Depositing the loose leaf tea was awkward the first couple of times. It is dishwasher safe and I found cleaning it by hand to be a snap. That said, I do have small hands and I know one of the reviewers indicated it was hard with arthritis, which I can imagine, but not speak to personally.

I got this a week ago and I'm loving it. However, I can't speak to the longevity of it, but I will periodically update this review.

One star off for the slightly awkward steeping mechanism. Otherwise, close to perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, December 7, 2011
I use to drink coffee where brewing is pretty standard. I always loved teas but could not make it taste good every time because teas are far more difficult to brew properly. And I researched buying an iced tea maker but couldn't find one without problems. This tea maker makes both hot and iced teas to perfection.

At first, I thought this was a cheaper version of the other steeper that sells for around $240. But, I was glad to see that this has fewer moving parts and, therefore, less likely to break down. The water heats rapidly and it keeps the correct temperature for the entire steeping time.

Read directions carefully-they are a little confusing. And it's difficult to spoon loose tea in, get used tea out, and to clean strainer because of poor design. There is some plastic on the tea steeping mechanism which comes in contact with the hot water, but, there is no aftertaste. The metal at the bottom of pot does become permanently discolored but does not seem to interfere with taste. The product just came out at the end of 2011 so there has not been enough time to determine durability.

But, it does what it says. I am drinking much more tea and enjoying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Start, February 14, 2013
So I got this rather than shelling out more than twice for the Breville device which appears totally automatic.

First the device is well built and described well. I'm not surprised at its functionality. Here's the drill.
1. You turn the device on and select on of 5 or 6 temp settings based on the type of tea you're brewing.
2. It rapidly heats the water to the desired heat.
3. It bleeps a LOUD warning when it hits the desired heat (I'm always trying to be quiet as my wife sleeps later than I).
4. Then you manually turn the top of the device which screws the brewing chamber into the heated water.
5. Then you hit a button which starts a timer for brewing, upon completing, it bleeps a different LOUD chirp (just in case your spouse or kids have fallen back to sleep).
6. You then turn the top of the device the other direction to manually screw the brewing chamber above the water line.
7. A new timer begins which will shut the device off in 30 minutes tops automatically (after another LOUD bleep).

Results: a pretty good cup of tea. We've done green, white, black and herbal with the various settings. Still learning the amount of tea to put in the chamber, but I'm convinced I'll get the hang of this. So, crossed the line of no return and pitched the box the other day, so, I'm not going to return it.

But, if you engineering wizards at Cuisinart are reading this, here's a few suggestions:

1. I burnt my fingers the first day I used this when I turned the top of the device to drop the brewing chamber as my fingers passed over the hole for pouring (the stopping point for DROP) and the steam took off two fingerprints. Oh, I added my own version of a LOUD bleep. But I've learned my lesson. Keep your fingers tucked away from the end of the snake that bites.
2. It's VERY difficult to both put tea into the chamber (unless you prefer to spill half the loose tea on your counter), and then to clean the expended tea leaves at the end (shaking hard like I did the first two times resulted in wet, black tea leaves to get on my shirt, thus causing me to go upstairs, and get another shirt-my wife just finally got up with a grumble).

So, it's a pretty good start and I've kind of gotten into the routine. It's sort of like being in a gitte in France and trying to figure out how to use the Internet or start a heater. A little puzzle. I'm actually getting pretty good at it. My brother-in-law tried to use it the other day, and it was fun to be able to "take over" and "show him the ropes" so he doesn't "hurt himself". Pretty cool to be the resident expert of something.

Also gave me an opportunity to buy some earplugs for my wife. Perhaps they should come as part of the package.

Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart PerfecTemp Kettle, March 2, 2012
Bill P. (San Mateo, CA) - See all my reviews
I do like the Kettle but there are a few problems with it. As someone else has mentioned already, it is difficult to clean out the tea infuser. The shaft that runs through the middle of it makes it very hard to reach down to the bottom of the infuser to clean out the remains of the tea leaves. The holes in the infuser are very small, so trying to run water in reverse does not work. The lid for the infuser gets in the way when you put the tea leaves in. It would be better if the infuser detached from the shaft and lid so that you would have clear access to the interior of the infuser. The water temperature runs 10 degrees cooler than it is suppose to be. I set the kettle for the oolong temp (190) and the water measured with two different thermometers read 180. Using the herbal tea setting(200), the water was 190, again 10 degrees cooler than it is suppose to be. Overall, I like the kettle. You just have to get used to working around its deficiencies.

Update 1/14/14:
I have downgraded my review from 4 stars to 3 stars. I have had my Cuisinart Kettle almost 2 years now. I use it daily. It is difficult to load the tea into the infuser because of the design. There is usually spillage of tea leaves that do not make it into the infuser. The other problem now after 2 years of use, is that the infuser will not stay up out of the water when pouring the tea. The infuser will fall back into the water when pouring. While that is not a terrible problem, it is annoying to have to rotate the infuser out every time you pour a cup of tea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & Stylish, November 23, 2011
First impression: Compact, stylish, looks more expensive than it really is. Used one time, did have some confusing moments at first on how to turn, lower, raise steeping apparatus. Need to pay attention to complete part names as they are similar. Most impressed with the keep warm cycle. It does just that, keeps tea very warm. Will update as used. BTW: Tea is very, very good!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great kettle when it works, January 12, 2013
Andreas Huhmer (Mountain View, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the kettle in late October and was very happy when I finally got it. It boils water very quickly (much fast than my current one) and it has perfect temperature control. I drink a lot of different teas (green, white, oolong, black, herbal etc.) and you have temperature settings for each type. Just choose the appropriate tea and the kettle does the rest. Note: I do not use the insert for steeping the tea. I do this in my pot with a tea bag that I purchase separately.

Now the BAD:
3 weeks before Christmas, the kettle broke. We only had it used ~20 times. All blue lights were blinking and no matter what I tried, the water was not being heated. Reading through the troubleshooting guide, it indicated that there was no contact between the electrode in the base and the top. It also said that one should wait because the temperature was still to hot ??? However, no matter what I did; i.e. putting warm water in the kettle or putting the kettle in the freezer to cool it, the kettle wouldn't turn on, but the base would continue to flash all lights blue. I think the thermocouple in the kettle is bad.
This appears to be a common problem in those type of kettles as I find many reviews that describe the same problem.

I called customer service and described the problem. I got a return authorization number and they sent me a replacement kettle. Today the kettle arrived after waiting for 2 weeks after I placed the call to the customer service. The biggest disappointment for me is that they send me another kettle model, the CPK-17, which is all plastic (does CPK stand for CheaP Kettle???). I won't use this one and I will only accept the TEA-100. More hassle and I am still out of a functional kettle.

For all other readers here, there is another website for Cuisinart customers. You can file your complaints there as well: [...]

The kettle itself gets 4 stars, but the fact that it broke down after a very short period of time and the abysmal customer service, I can only give 2 stars for this product in this case.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1st Time Purchase of Integrated Steeper/Kettle - Great Product, though 2 Design Flaws Prevent a 5-Star Rating, August 16, 2013
I've been a avid loose leaf tea drinker for years, but until now, have never purchased any of the integrated steeper/kettle products available.

I'm pleased with the results so far. I've been using the product approx twice a day now for about a month. With the exception of what I consider two design flaws, it's an excellent product.

The Good:
- Heats the water very efficiently and quickly...with highly accurate temps for various tea types.
- Easy and intuitive control panel.
- Stylish and efficient design...looks nice on the counter and is easy to store.
- Sizing...perfect for making between 2 to 4 cups of tea at a time.
- Promotes tea discovery: With temperature settings for 6 different tea types, you may be inspired to break from your usual routine and try some new teas....I was!

The Design Flaws: (not epic flaws, but enough to prevent a 5 star review)
- Steeper basket: As many other commenters have noted, the steeper basket is tricky to clean. I've finally found that a small plastic spoon taken from a disposable ice cream cup is the ideal tool for cleaning out the last bit of leaves. I can only hope Cuisinart has a better design in place in the future when I'm ready to buy a replacement unit.
- Keep Warm function: The maximum duration is 30 minutes, which I find a bit too short. Also, the 'keep warm' label is slightly misleading, it should be, 'keep hot.' While this function is on, the tea is kept hot at the brewing temperature, not merely warm. This is indeed a nice feature, and I can understand why the design would limit this to 30 minutes. However, it would be nice to also have a true 'keep warm' function that merely keeps the tea warm, vs. hot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, May 30, 2012
This machine is made of high-quality materials, and is well-constructed and durable. I expect it to last a long time. It brings the water to steeping heat quite quickly, and makes a pretty good cup of tea. A few design flaws, however, spoil what would otherwise be a superior product.

The infuser basket is made of what appears to be high-quality stainless steel, but its design leaves something to be desired. The top cannot be taken off, only moved a couple of inches, making loading awkward and cleaning difficult.

The warming cycle keeps the tea at whatever temperature was selected for steeping. It should drop to about 140-150 degrees F. This is a better temperature to maintain good flavor. I would also like to see a longer time to keep it warm. Sometimes I make several cups at once, and 30 minutes is not long enough to drink it all. I should probably make one cup at a time, but I use it at work, and don't always have time for multiple brews.

In short, above-average materials and construction, but poor design brings the rating down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Built by someone that has never made a pot of tea, January 12, 2014
R. J. Buikema (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
I challenge you to get tea into the infuser without having half of your tea end up on the counter.
Have you ever used a product and your first thought is...how could anyone have put this on the market? This is it.
The only thing worse than getting the tea into the infuser is emptying it...more mess! Come on Cuisinart...you can do better.