5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment
The Cuisinart TOB-195 costs a little more than most toaster ovens but it is such a joy to use. Some of the things I like about it:

1. Size. You can fit a 12" pizza in it.
2. Controls below the door. It saves a lot of countertop space.
3. Alarm to let you know when the oven is at the right temperature.
4. Digital temperature setting so you don't...
Published on October 7, 2007 by newbie golfer

1,185 of 1,287 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars too many problems
Published on March 1, 2010 by Smart Shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment, October 7, 2007
This review is from: Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler, Stainless (Kitchen)

1. Size. You can fit a 12" pizza in it.
2. Controls below the door. It saves a lot of countertop space.
3. Alarm to let you know when the oven is at the right temperature.
4. Digital temperature setting so you don't have to guess at it.
5. Convection oven feature.
6. Non-stick walls for easy clean-up.

The Cuisinart takes only a few minutes to warm up to the proper temperature, unlike a regular oven which can take several minutes. Pizzas crisp up nicely and my favorite banana bread recipe baked perfectly. I expect to use my Cuisinart more often than my regular oven, except for times when company is over.

I relied on reviews of the previous model, the TOB-175, before purchasing the TOB-195 and must say that Cuisinart has continued their great tradition of creating wonderful kitchen electrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonder oven!, February 6, 2008
Niki M. (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
UPDATE (Feb 2014): I have had this oven for 6 years now and it is still going strong. Other than the window is now a little hazy, the oven itself looks as good as day I bought it.

Perhaps the first couple of years I used it sporadically but the last few years I've used it almost every day. I started using it so much that I left my regular oven idle and unloved. I got hooked on this oven's faster preheat and cooking times. I honestly love it so much that I might buy another one and just store it until I need a replacement just in case Cuisinart stops selling it. And the price now $179 is the exact amount I paid for it six years ago so at least it didn't go up.

The only things I would really change about my original review is that this oven's exterior does get very warm/hot. The sides get warm but the top gets pretty hot. I covered the top of the oven with a thick wooden bamboo placemat so I can sit a few things on it, like my ceramic fruit bowl and a little light. Without the wooden barrier I wouldn't dare put anything on top. And the mat, as designed, is porous which allows the oven's heat to escape and not get trapped underneath the mat.

Secondly, it didn't take long for me to stop using this oven as toaster because it does take a minute or two longer to toast bread/bagel than my regular toaster. So unless I need to toast something lying flat instead of vertical, or it is too big for the toaster, it is faster just to drop bread into the toaster. And I have space for both so I don't mind using my toaster too.

WARNING: I did once set a potholder on fire either pushing in or pulling out the rack (can't remember which) when the potholder touched the bottom heating element. Thankfully, the potholder is fire-resistant so the flame went out almost immediately. Now, I am very leery/careful when reaching into the oven, making sure I have the potholder tucked up enough and not hanging down too low. So yes, it would be very useful if the rack automatically came out when door opened as there is very little clearance between your hand and the heating elements.

I still have never used the convection function. I imagine it's useful but standard Bake is plenty good enough for me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Overall, I love this oven. Unless it breaks down on me, which only time will tell, I cannot think of anything drastically negative to say about it. Yes, it needs an interior light. Yes, the crumb tray slides out from the back. But those issues don't come close to detracting from the oven and are minor compared to what this oven does right.

Cuisinart is doing this oven a marketable disservice by labeling it a "toaster" oven. Rather, this is a full fledged oven (in reduced size) that also happens to toast your bread too. Cuisinart has established a new category of ovens with this one. It has evolved way past the "toaster" stage.

I'll try to cover everything I wanted to know about this oven when I was researching it:

AESTHETICS:
Aesthetically, this oven beats ALL the others on the market hands down.
If you are into how your appliance looks as well as how it performs, you will be VERY pleased with this one. It has a professional, sophisticated look about it, which is enhanced by the steel on steel color combination. No black or white plastic look to cheapen it.

FUNCTIONALITY:
Large interior.

The digital control pad is very well labeled and easy to use. The LCD display is a must have. I know most toaster ovens are operated by manual control dials but I would never want one. I like being able to punch in what I want and see it on display. I know more things can go wrong with digital controls but I'll take my chances.

I do wish the rack automatically slid out when the door is opened. I hate having to use a pot holder just to get a piece of toast out of the oven. On the other hand, it's no different than using a regular oven and no one complains about that. All in all, not a big deal. I plan on getting some thongs to grasp small items.

It is not as bright inside as it appears in the picture. This oven needs an inside light. I thought my kitchen lighting would be bright enough, but overhead lighting doesn't reach inside the depths of the oven. It is very dark in there.

The crumb tray is a pain to access from back. Would it have killed the designers to have it slide out from the front?!

TOAST:
I am pleased with the toasting quality of this oven. The preset default setting is #4-Medium for 3 minutes. I generally use the higher setting #5 or #6, as I keep my bread frozen and prefer a darker crust, which require extra time. Incidentally, I do not need to add defrost.

The toast turned out fine. It was nicely toasted on both sides; one side being slightly more toasted than the other. However, it does take a bit longer to toast than I am willing to wait--close to 5 minutes (for setting #6). Rather, I prefer the ease of just dropping my bread in a toaster and less than 3 minutes later, it pops up hot and toasted. For a quick and simple piece of toast, I still use a regular toaster. No big deal because as I mentioned earlier, I do look upon this Cuisinart as more of a mini-oven than a toaster anyway. However, it perfect for toasting larger items like bagels.

PIZZA/BAKE:
I am not sure why they call it "Pizza/Bake" but it is the conventional baking function (not to be confused with "convection" baking). I was eager to test out the baking feature so made some Tollhouse cookies. It only took an amazing 3 minutes for the oven to preheat to 350 degrees. I mean, no sooner had I sat down when it was beeping that it was ready. I was stunned. My big oven takes about 10 minutes to preheat.

The Tollhouse instructions call for baking from 10-12 minutes. I typically cook them for 10 minutes in my big oven so I set the timer for 10 minutes. Good thing I checked on my cookies around 8 1/2 minutes as they were already well done!

I am amazed again at how well this oven heats up. One reviewer complained that their oven heated up 15-25 degrees lower than the stated temperature. However, I experienced no temperature problems at all. If this oven does have temperature inaccuracies, it doesn't appear to affect its baking performance. In fact, since regular baking cooks so fast, I wonder if I will ever use the convection baking feature.

CONVECTION BAKING:
I haven't cooked with it yet, but I turned it on to make sure it works and to hear how it sounds. There is a hum from the convection fan but it is no louder than the sound of my refrigerator compressor or my microwave when in use. Between washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, microwaves, blenders, etc., if you aren't used to hearing noises from your appliances by now, you must be an easily irritated person. LOL!

BROIL: Untested at this time. Will update later when used.

SAFETY:
Generally speaking, the Cuisinart may be a smaller oven but it is still an oven. This sucker does heat up to 500 degrees after all. Follow the same safety precautions as you would using your regular oven and you'll be fine.

I guess the exterior of this oven gets hot to the touch. I didn't notice. I have no intention on sitting on top of the toaster oven, or on the counter next to it. So the fact that the top and sides may get hot is no problem for me. The front of the toaster oven may get hot too, but just as I don't touch the door of my regular oven during use, I have no intention of touching this door either.

I have no problems using the handle without worrying about burning my bare hands, though I admit I have small hands. Perhaps someone with larger hands might come in contact with the hot door and it doesn't look like the metal band under the handle is heat resistant, which would have avoided this particular issue altogether. Be careful.

The top rack slot has a safety catch to prevent the rack from accidentally sliding all the way out. Strangely, the bottom slot does not.

The rack has raised corners. Good feature to prevent a pan from sliding off. Bad feature when inserting or removing a pan. Pans won't simply slide in and out. You must slightly tilt it a bit. Tilting a pan full of hot liquids is never a good idea so you'll have to carefully maneuver.

ACCESSORIES:
The broiler tray and drip/baking pan that comes with the oven is large. It is a very sturdy pan set. The middle of the pan is slightly raised to allow for drippings to flow to the sides--which will be helpful when using it as a baking pan to cook greasy items. I like the pan, but it's a bit large for my everyday needs so I purchased a smaller pan set by Chicago Metallic (which is very nice incidentally). I will save the Cuisinart pan for larger "on the weekend" dishes--as I am only cooking for one typically during the week and don't need to haul out a large pan.

INSTRUCTION BOOK:
Cuisinart includes an extremely thorough instruction manual covering everything you need to know. It also includes some very delectable recipes tailored for this oven. Their recipes caught my attention to such a degree that I went looking for more on Cuisinart's website. Yummy looking recipes there too.

QUALITY:
Generally speaking, I feel safe and comfortable using this oven. Only time will tell how long it will hold up. Who knows, I wrote this rave review and next week the oven could break down on me. I hope not because I look forward to enjoying this oven for many years to come.

1,185 of 1,287 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars too many problems, March 1, 2010
I was in the market for a new toaster oven and did quite a bit of research to find a good one. It took me 6 months & 3 toasters. I wanted an oven that could make a pizza (my regular oven takes 20 min just to heat up) as well as toast a bagel and make 2 grill cheese sandwiches at once as I have 3 young children. I also wanted an oven that automatically pulls out the tray as you open the door. This is important to me for safety reasons. I don't wants my kids to stick their hands all the way inside the oven to get their toast out.

Toaster #1) I received a black & decker as a gift and it was awful. It didn't have the pull out tray; It didn't toast bread evenly on both sides; It wasn't large enough to bake a pizza; My bagels were burnt on the outside and cold on the inside; I threw that one away.

Toaster #2) Then I purhased the very popular Cuisineart from amazon. All three of my kids and my husband got burned while opening the door. It gets very hot! It didn't have the auto tray pull out, so I had to get a pot holder to pull the tray out; It didn't bake the pizza well because it wasn't powerful enough, even though it fit the pizza; And worst of all, every time I needed to clean the crumb tray, I had to turn the whole toaster around because the crumb tray pulls out from the back. I wrapped this up and returned it. amazon paid for all shippng charges and it was truly a no hassle return.

Toaster #3) Then I got the breville. I love it! My husband loves it! My kids love it! It does it all. The tray automatically pulls out when the door opens so my kids don't get burned when they want to get their toast out; It toasts bagels beautifully; It heats up quickly and bakes pizza nicely; The crumb tray pulls out from the front so it's very easy to clean (this is BIG!); It's a little more money that the cuisineart, but well worth it. This is the first review I've ever written. I'm hoping that my 6 months of agony will save someone else all the hassles I went through. Good luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Whoa Box Stuffers......., January 1, 2008
I bought this oven based on what I needed and the reviews and I'm satisfied. But...

Contrary to the rave reviews I read here and other sites(are they really real reviews?) the machine is not perfect and does have some significant and potentially serious flaws.

The handle on the door is configured so that when you open it your fingers will come in contact with the very HOT door. I have the scars to prove it. Grab it palm up or you'll be sorry.

I tested the temperature and found that it was 15-25 degrees low on the bake function and 25 degrees hot on the convection bake. That may suggest that the convection function needs a little "help" to cook faster. Now Cuize, that's not nice....

One other thing..... the convection fan is not balanced well enough and will give an annoying hum every now and then. That's just a quality problem.

Overall I like it very much and would recommend it but it's not a 5 star and may deserve a recall or at least a warning on the door issue. Imagine a child going after his toast...

5.0 out of 5 stars if you are a heavy TO user you will be very pleased with this one, November 5, 2008
We use our toaster oven pert near 90% over the regular oven. It is so convenient, fast, and keeps the whole house from heating up. Our old one was a cheap toastmaster with the dumbest controls I have ever seen on an appliance, but it worked good. The convection fan gave out a month or so ago and then the bottom heaty thingers stoped working and it was done. Soggy totinos pizza is not very good.

We decided to not mess around when finding a replacement. First stop was target and BB&B websites. Found a few that could of worked, but after reading reviews we kept looking. My wife headed to BB&B for some stuff and took pics of each toaster oven and their info cards. I started doing more research online of the ones she found. We had 3 things that were absolutely necessary.

1. broil function. To make the best garlic bread I find this necessary. I have a system and it works well. Also often you just want to get a bit of extra browing on something and broil is where it is at.
2. convection / fan bake. It really makes a difference and we loved that feature on the dead one.
3. good reviews. Yeah I know it is not actually a feature, but I want to hear normal folk lay it out there. Amazon you made up my mind.

I did some extensive testing using probe thermometers and found it to have a really good accuracy. It fluctuates by 25 degrees, which is noted in the manual, but stayed close to the set temp most of the time. There is a probe built into the inside top wall that monitors the temp. This has actually thrown off my usual methods because it does not fluctuate wildly like the old one. I burned a pizza and have had to learn how to do my garlic bread all over again. The peppercorn steaks took much longer because the oven was actually at 250 and not something higher. We never really toasted bread in the old one because it would take too long. This thing heats up so fast and makes toast in 2.5 minutes and it comes out perfect.

It is quite a well built little thing. It is light and does feel a little flimsy on the sides and back because of the metal and plastic. the crumb tray is pretty lame which was a bummer. It slides out the back and is pretty thin metal. The broiling pan and its bottom are made of very rigid metal. It is very well made. it does heat up on the outsides quite a bit, but nothing to worry about. The touch pad is easily to use and wipe down.

We very much likey and think the price is fair for such a quality piece of kitchen equip that we will use the heck out of.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not great., February 9, 2008
I have owned convection ovens for years now but they were cheap knock offs of the real thing. I decided to buy something more substancial this time and bought a cuisinart as I have other products by them and have found them to be reliable. I recieved my convection oven in 3 days! I was shocked at the speed it came. As soon as I had it set up I gave it a test run. I made biscuits in it and they came out perfect. I then tried toast and I have to say I was disappointed with it. I make my own bread and slice it thicker than what you get from the store. That may have had some effect on the results. It took over 5 minutes to get it to where I like it. Much slower than what my cuisinart toaster would do. I have also done cookies and a frozen pizza in it and they both came out great. I plan to do more experimenting with it, such as meat and other baked goods. The only other mark against it is that the outside gets very hot so you have to be carefull not to touch it. Also it has an incredibly short cord to plug in so you better have free access to an outlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best toaster oven on the market, December 3, 2007
S. Kwong (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Simply the best looking and working toaster oven we've have ever used. We first purchase the staineless Kitchen Aid device because of it's reputation and looks but returned it because it was inferior. Did a little research and bought this Cuisinart instead and have been completely satistied. It looks good, makes perfect toast and everything else. Because of it's large interior and a fan to circulate the heat inside the oven, it heats much faster than our old unit. We hardly have to use our full size oven anymore. It cost a little more than other units but it worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the oven, September 30, 2007
D. Haldiman (San Marcos, CA) - See all my reviews
I am so happy with my new Cuisinart TOB-195 Convection Toaster Oven. No more heating up my regular built in oven for smaller recipes. The toaster feature gives flexability with doneness and toasts well. The broiler works great and the convection oven is right on the money with temperature and time it takes to cook an item. I am one happy cooker with this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Toast to Perfection and Great Pizza too!, June 22, 2009
When my last toaster oven bit the dust, a couple of months ago, I thought that I was devastated because my Black and Decker had given me about 8.5 years of loyal service which was quite a long run.

I researched the models that were available, their product descriptors, their reviews, sleuthed around stores to check them out first hand and finally decided on the Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler, Stainless.

To say I love this toaster oven is an understatement; it is not perfect...but it comes pretty darn close.

PROS:

1. First, if you like pizza, you can cook a 12" pizza in this toaster oven perfectly and the crust comes out perfect each and every time; the crust is crisp and not soggy; and the toppings and the cheese are juicy and not burnt.
2. Temperature Control - The oven beeps and lets you know when it has hit the desired pre-heating temperature
3. There is a digital temperature setting which eliminates a lot of guess work and a lot of food not cooked properly
4. Controls are right under the door for easy touch pad access
5. There is a convection oven feature which is terrific for faster baking
6. Easy cleaning for the inside of the toaster oven.
7. Very attractive design
8. Large interior; 17 3/4 inch wide and 16 inches deep!
9. If you like frozen bagels, this is the toaster for you. The manual tells you to press the toaster button and then the defrost button. So setting up the toaster to defrost and then toast is one simple operation.
10. Great machine for reheating leftovers.
11. Super option if you are only cooking for one or two; you do not have to spend extra money on your utility bills warming up the big oven; this toaster oven does everything the larger oven will do and IMO better.
12. Build quality and overall design is excellent; well engineered except for a couple of pesky issues below
13. Exterior cleans easily; buttons too which are covered for easy clean-ups

CONS:

1. Be careful when opening the door, as pointed out by another reviewer, you can burn yourself if you do not keep your hands right on the handle; best to use mitts. Don't come in contact with the hot door; you will remember it the next time. If you have kids, beware of them touching this oven improperly and touching it improperly is easy to do.
2. Does not have an interior light
3. Would have been nice for the crumb tray to be pulled out from the front; it doesn't. Frankly, I think the designers just did not like the looks of the crumb tray being visible from the front. Possibly it affected the integrity of their design; it is true that it is really a very attractive product.
4. Short plug
5. Does not turn itself off; so it can run and run; be careful.

I got mine as a gift and it was purchased from Amazon because of the favorable price point.

Despite a few pesky issues, this oven works like a charm and looks elegant sitting on my counter.

Just be careful to have out those mitts! It is a hot looking machine; but it can also get mighty hot to touch too.

Bentley/2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Oven!, December 8, 2008
Wow, a "toaster oven" that heats to 500 degrees! That isn't just what the reading says, it's what my thermometer read after about 14 minutes. NO OTHER oven has ever reached that temp, even though lots of them say they can.

This means that butternut squash comes out perfectly carmelized at 450 degrees. It means you can bake a pizza and get near pizza oven (600 degrees) results. It also means it sucks down 1600 watts, which is most of the 15 amps on your circuit breaker. Don't plan on using anything else on the same circuit.

There are two burners up and two down, and you have complete control over whether the up or down burners are on (or both).

The 17 and 3/4 dimension is it's width. That includes the little wings off the lower sides and what I think is the fan sticking out of the upper right.

16 inches deep means this thing is cavernous for a toaster oven.

Timer only beeps, but does not turn itself off after any amount of time you set from 1 minute up to 9 hours.

All in all, we couldn't be happier with this oven. I love the food processors but have been disappointed with other things from this brand. I'm glad I took a chance on this one: it's really outstanding for the price. And it looks fantastic.

Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler, Stainless