on January 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
The oven looks great but the temperature control knob is loose and impossible to regulate! After ruining a quick bread, we put an oven thermometer inside while turning the dial to different temps. There was no correlation between what the dial was set at, and the actual temp inside the oven. We tried this for about an hour, and even with just a tiny dial movement, the temperature fluctuated wildly.
on February 12, 2010
I bought it for Christmas 2009 so it should be the latest model. Same issue, crummy toaster (yes, I read the directions carefully) many others have complained about plus a new one. When the timer went off the heating element did not, I didn't notice the red light was still on, so I left. Came back home a few hours later and the whole kitchen was hot from that oven on full blast. I thought it was a fluke, but it did it again. Cuisinart said to return it to the store. I did. I got the TOB-190 for $40 more, hope that works out, it has the electronic timer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
I bought this toaster oven about a year ago when my old one died. I did read all of the reviews at the time and even though there were plenty of warnings, I decided to trust the Cuisinart brand.

I honestly tried to like it. But I mainly bought it for toasting or a quick broil to melt cheese, etc. The toasting dial is so archaic, it's ridiculous. There is a loud ticking noise (and you better make sure you turn it ALL the way past the 10 minute mark and then ALL the way back to where you guess your toasting time should be)until the bell rings and you get to remove your unevenly browned, sometimes burned, dried out piece of toast. There is no way to set it accurately and it takes too much time to make a few lousy pieces of toast.

About a month of go, I dragged this stupid thing down to my basement and went out and bought a good old-fashioned two slice toaster for about $30.00. For the first time in years I don't have a toaster oven, but I don't miss it at all.

This product is not worth it no matter what it costs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2010
This is my second Cuisinart toaster oven. The first, with digital controls, cost twice as much and is five times as good.

This unit routinely burns the edges of toast before the middle is done. Furthermore, the darkness control puts all the usable range of darknesses into a QUARTER INCH of dial movement -- and you have to reset it every time you make toast. Good luck with that.

I am so very disappointed that this normally awesome brand is pasted onto this badly made product. I regret the waste of my money -- and the burnt toast.
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a professional chef i am often tasked to demo a wide variety of kitchen equipment and I often ask companies for assistance so I can have a wide background to base my reviews. As such I've demoed several appliances and ovens for Cuisinart the last of which was the Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Stainless Toaster Oven Broiler. Sadly this new TOB-60 oven falls short of the mark set by the TOB-195.

Let me list my pros and cons:

Pros:
*Large oven size, holds good amount of toast and small 12" pizza, several potatoes
*Toasting and cooking are good, even heat distribution and toasting - when you get the temp right!
*Convection is great, forced air heat, moving to brown everything! Nice touch
*Stainless is easy to clean and the crumb tray is right up front
*1500 watts of power
*Non stick interior

Cons:
*Very Hot to the touch, more so that the TOB-195
*Confusing controls - Each knob is flimsy and loose
*Too much going on per knob for most people that want to just toast or bake.
*Very hard to dial in exact temperature with lose knobs.
*Timer is too short - need more than 30 minutes for some items.

I give it 4 stars since I like the end product and I'm used to fiddling around with ovens to teak them a bit when cooking. If this were for a novice I'd suggest using it a few times to get the feel for it before you try heating up a frozen pizza or toasting of several slices of bread.

I'd like to see this oven come back out but with updated controls and knobs. Perhaps then a 5 star review would be forthcoming.
on January 19, 2011
I don't understand the negative reviews. We bought this Cuisinart toaster oven in November. Has cooked everything from frozen pizzas, to frozen fish, to tater tots, to English muffins, and they've come out better than in the regular oven, in a little less time, using less energy. The unit never got too hot to be dangerous or even uncomfortable. Looks great in the kitchen. Easy to clean. Why pay double for digital controls? The analog controls are just fine. After all, it's not a microwave. I have read the one, two and three-star reviews, and I don't agree with them at all. I'm glad they didn't dissuade me from buying this unit. If all you want it for is toast, then get a toaster--will cost you less. But, if you use this for toast and pay attention, your toast will be just fine. This is my first toaster oven, so there may be better ones out there. But, this has done exactly what we have needed, and I do highly recommend the Cusinart TOB-60.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First of all, ordering this item was a mistake. I meant to click on the Emson Electric 5Qt Smoker in the Vine newsletter, but accidently clicked on this, which was the next item down. When I got the wrong "send me this item" screen I immediately went back, but the smokers all went fast. So I ordered this...and then read the reviews. I thought I made a "Double OOPS!" After putting it thru its paces, though, it seems like a pretty decent unit.

The unit had a burning odor when first turned on, but that quickly dissipated.

The temperature control knob feels a bit loose, but the other two are tight. I'm a bit surprised to see analog controls in this day and age, but considering the number of reviews of other toaster ovens where the electronic controls failed, maybe this is a good option.

The small black marking on the stainless steel exterior are a bit hard to read, especially the ones for the timer/toast knob. This knob is on the bottom and most of the markings are on the bottom half of the knob.

The top runner slots for the rack have a catch to keep the rack from sliding all the way out, much like a full-sized oven. Why doesn't the bottom set have these?

My DeLonghi and Krups toaster ovens came with a thing to pull the rack and broiler pan out. This oven would benefit from such an object.

To test the temperature setting, I put a remote reading Polder probe thermometer on the rack and set the rack at the middle position. I let it run thru several cycles and the temperatures were pretty consistent in both conventional and convection mode. Accuracy was good, too.

Some reviewers have complained of the "dangerously hot" exterior, so I checked the temperatures of the top and sides using a ThermoTech Digital Infrared Laser Thermometer. At the end of the tests the left side was 96 and the right was 81. The top ranged from 130-135. While hot, it was not dangerously so, and certainly not enough to be a fire hazard.

The Use Test
As a Toaster
Like most toaster ovens, this one is more oven than toaster. Bread toasts to a fairly even brownness on each side, but unevenly on each side (Some of each side brown, some not). Not the worst I've seen, but certainly not the best, either.

As an Oven
A nine-inch frozen pizza baked up perfectly, as did crescent roll wrapped hot dogs. Other items baked included stuffed mushrooms, a turkey breast, cinnamon rolls, and, (under the broiler) cheese-steak subs. All baked evenly and came out as desired.

Conclusion
This unit is a keeper. It looks good and cooks well. It's not perfect, but I think it is a decent unit. The three-year warranty is a plus.
on May 14, 2011
What a disappointment this toaster oven is. I am a huge Cuisanart fan and have many of their appliances, but this one is downright dangerous. You can not simply choose a toast setting to start, you have to turn it around past the ten minute mark on the timer then back to toast shade. Weird! To top it off, the cycle runs way too long and toast get's burned. PLUS the oven get's extremely hot. Furthermore, say someone who does not know about turning the knob past 10 minute mark just chooses a toast shade, the oven stays on! What a fire hazard. I have kids and guests in my kitchen all the time, I really can't be bothered with explaining this over and over. Not sure what Cuisanart was thinking with this one.
on September 1, 2011
All in all this is a great toaster oven. In fact, I'm blown away by the amount of 1-2 star reviews. I can easily see a 3-4 star review being that while good, this oven isn't perfect. It looks like the majority of the 1-2 star reviews are by people who DON'T read directions. There are 3 settings to place the rack at depending on the job at hand. Most of the time you should be using the "B" setting since this is a toaster and thus what most of us are using this for. And, apparently most of the people using this also have no understanding of basic metal properties. Steel rusts. You feel the weight of the drip pans, that's steel. Steel does not belong in your dishwasher or soaking in your sink. Steel needs to be quickly cleaned and dried. Water + Steel = Rust. Now Cuisinart could have used aluminum for these parts. My older oven did, but aluminum doesn't react to heat as well as steel and that thing was as warped as Diane Warwick's Psychic friends network.

As for burnt toast, this thing makes perfect toast! Since purchasing it, I've stuffed flatbread(not burnt), bagels(not burnt), sliced bread(not burnt) and the super hard not to burn, English muffins(not burnt). I've cooked homemade pizza's in it(not burnt) and roasted garlic and serrano peppers in it(not burnt). So this thing can cook...well.

Now the oven isn't perfect, despite what it's chunky pseudo-industrial look would want you to think. Being that this is a toaster and most of us would be using it as...a toaster. The knob sucks. The timer and "toast browning setting" are on the same knob with the "browning" portion being less than 1/4 of the total dial. The rest makes up the time from 10-30 minutes. This one knob is 100% of my problems with this toaster. Also, on the oven itself. It states turning the knob past 10 minutes and then rotating it BACK to your desired time. Maybe I'm the moron now, but I haven't been able to get this to work. So lets call Cuisinart's development team "morons." That's it for the bad.

So, if you're buying this. READ THE DIRECTIONS BEFORE USING!!! and with time you become that knob's master. You will own it like David Ortiz owns the Yankee's(I can admit this being a yankee fan), You will own it like Uma Thurman owned David Carradine and like that rope owned David Carradine for that matter. This thing rocks, and it makes some killer food.
on August 12, 2010
This thing fails as a toaster. Reason is that it has this awful timer dial. If you put it on the right tick mark, you get wonderful toast! But if its off by a tick one way or the other, you get just warm bread or a burnt mess. Oh, and that perfect tick mark? What works today may not work tomorrow, so it's trial and error all the time.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations