5.0 out of 5 stars If you can use a spoon - you can make yogurt cheese...
So, I stole it from the Yo-cheese folks - I bought their cookbook!
This is the simplest and best device for making yogurt cheese. It makes yogurt "cream" in 2 hours, and yogurt cheese stiff enough to make a cheesecake overnight.
Published on December 19, 2003 by Annette Welsh-Shinya

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it
Sorry, I bought this from a cooking store and was very disappointed. I should have listened to some of the other reviews.

1) It absolutely does not work with homemade yogurt. The yogurt just pours through the screen.
2) The unit is not big enough (I make a quart of yogurt at a time). It probably holds about 3 cups.
3) The container that the screen...
Published on April 14, 2009 by B. Pixley

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can use a spoon - you can make yogurt cheese..., December 19, 2003
Annette Welsh-Shinya (Forest Grove, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
So, I stole it from the Yo-cheese folks - I bought their cookbook!
A few details. If you fill the device full of yogurt, you need to dump the whey after about 1/2 hour as it gets full. After you have drained the yogurt, empty it by up-ending it into a bowl with a larger mouth than the device, otherwise you waste some of the cheese scraping it out with a spoon.
I use the yogurt cheese to extend mayonaise and sour cream. I've made a lovely low-fat cheesecake with it, mixing it it 2/1 ratio with neufchatel cheese. I have used it in white sauces, and it makes them creamy and yummy!
We bought this to incorporate yogurt cheese into our diet to got lower fat and reduce saturated fat because of cholesterol concerns. It's a great device and it's never not in use at our house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum - Perfect Yogurt Cheese in a Few Hours, February 4, 2005
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
After purchasing Donvier's yogurt maker, I thought this cheese maker would help me turn my softer yogurt into something thicker, a facsimile of the yogurt I tasted in Turkey and Greece. I was right -- after making my own preservative and additive free yogurt in my Donvier yogurt maker, I simply poured all eight containers into the compact cheesemaker, closed the lid and let it stay overnight in the refrigerator. Voila, the next morning, I had a perfectly creamy spread to put on my whole grain toast. I used Total Greek yogurt as my starter, so my yogurt very nearly reached the perfection I have been seeking: creamy, tart and no added sugar.

If you are a food perfectionist or simply do not like to buy any product loaded with corn syrup or any of the other usual suspects commonly used by manufacturers to up the taste for the general public, you will find purchasing the Donvier yogurt and cheese maker well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars works great with tweaking, June 13, 2007
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
I have made yogurt cheese in the past with cheesecloth and thought this item would make it easier, the reviews were good so I got two.

I noticed the mesh is rather large, my reusable coffee filter has very fine metal mesh. As I suspected my homemade yogurt ran through it. I lined it with a coffee filter and that solved the problem!! It's very easy to do, you can either use the round ones and trim them, or as I recently did, get the wraparound ones for perkulators.

When I feel it's thick enough I just tump it out into a storage container and I have a little pyrimid of greek yogurt or yogurt cheese, whatever you want to call it.

I've really aquired a taste for greek yogurt and this device makes it more economical to make. The large mesh actaully is better in my opinion because it's easy to clean and the use of the coffee filter makes it easy to dump the stuff in a bowl.

I only gave it 4 stars because it could be a little cheaper for all it is. Also instructions could be better and include the tip about the coffee filter, people that make their own yogurt frequently have a thinner more fragile product and the instructions do not even address that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious yogurt cheese, October 31, 2003
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
This makes a compact pyramid of tasty yogurt cheese or "laban." This is simply the yogurt curd with the watery portion removed. The unit consists of a sieve with a funny wave shape (dented on top) inside a plastic vessel. Dump in your regular yogurt and drain off the whey. You will end up with a cream cheese-like block of laban or yo-cheese. I wouldn't suggest Greek yogurt, but you can try it. Greek yogurt has already lost a lot of the whey via sieving. If you like Greek yogurt, you can take regular yogurt and stop the draining before it reaches the cream cheese stage. Voila, Greek yogurt.

A lump of this cheese, sweetened with a touch of powdered sugar and served with strawberries is a low-fat dessert if you use non-fat yogurt. The cheese also works as a sour-cream substitute. You can even make "coeur a la creme" with it. This works better than cheesecloth and colander or sieve. If you like yogurt cheese or are on a low-fat diet, this is a handy thing to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, November 17, 2005
George T. (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
This little item works really well for making yogurt nice and thick. My primary purpose for this product is to make good Greek yogurt, which is much, much thicker than any store bought commercial brand. And, buying "Greek" yogurt from speciality food stores gets really expensive.

This product makes perfect Greek yogurt, in only about 3 or 4 hours. If you leave it overnight, you'll get perfect yogurt cheese. I prefer using Dannon whole milk plain yogurt, and the yogurt strainer holds almost a whole 32 oz container of it. If you wait about half an hour, you can put the rest of the Dannon into the stainer, since enough water (whey) has drained out by then. The results are perfect...delicous thick Greek yogurt each time, without the need for messy cheesecloth, coffee filters, paper towels, etc.

It's very sturdy and cleans up quite easily. I don't put it in the dishwasher, since I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't put anything in the dishwasher that you actually care about. And again, it's so easy to clean with a sponge and some soap, so there's no need to put in the dishwasher.

All in all, terrific product, works better than advertised.

Side note: Do NOT use Stoneybrook "Cream on Top" yogurt. That stuff is ALL water!!! When i poured this yogurt into the strainer, about half of it just ran through the filter almost immediately, since it's just so thin. This did not happen with Dannon, which is probably the thickest commercial yogurt around (but even the Dannon is nowhere near as thick as authentic Greek yogurt). The yogurt strainer works best with thicker yogurts, so stay away from those yogurts that make swishing sounds when you shake the container.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice item!, September 29, 2003
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
I have tried making yogurt cheese the "old way" with a colander, cheesecloth, etc., and found it to be messy and not worthwhile. I have to echo the sentiments of others here that this is a much better way. Takes up less space in the fridge, cleans up very easily, more sanitary, and the sealed container keeps out refrigerator odors. Plus I found that the draining screen's wave design bottom seems to help speed up the draining process when compared to the "old way." The result is a nice, compact product with fewer soggy spots. Definitely worth the price, you probably won't find it cheaper anywhere else, and it seems to be very durable, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expand your Yogurt Possibilities!, March 1, 2006
R. Hardy (Spanish Fork, Utah) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
I thought this sounded "handy"...well was I in for a surprise! It's a whole lot more than that. I make up a batch of fresh yogurt in my Salton, take out my amount for a new starter, put some in this great yogurt-cheese maker & still have some left for regular yogurt. In the frig 24 hours & the whey is drained off & I have a perfect base for herbs/garlic for a delicious & healthy vegetable dip...or one that satisfies my chip loving husband, or plain as a healthy ingredient in a myriad of dishes including salads & salad dressings, snacks, soups, breads, desserts of all kinds, sandwiches, even main dishes!

I bought this along with "Not Just Cheesecake" & "Eat Well The YoChee Way" & these great books expand this whole new (to me) delicious & healthier way to incorporate homemade yogurt-cheese into countless dishes.

Oftimes we purchase an appliance/kitchen item & use it very little...I think it's essential to have one or two good cookbooks to open up the possibilities for our use! I Do Love my Yogurt- Cheese Maker!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure beats the old way!, October 1, 2002
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
I have been making my cheese via a tea towel, and this tool sure beat the old way. This is cleaner, more sanitary, and just easy to maintain than using a piece of cheese cloth. While this isn't the most necessary piece of kitchen equipment, it does make things easier for you. I would recommend this to anyone that likes to make their own yogurt cheese.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it, April 14, 2009
B. Pixley (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)

3) The container that the screen sits into is not deep enough - at all. The yogurt that you are trying to drain, winds up sitting in the liquid (whey) collected at the bottom of the unit. You have to drain it several times.
4) The first time I put it in the dishwasher it showed signs of rust.

I took it back to the store.

Here's what you can do with stuff you probably already have in your kitchen.

Line a deep strainer with a coffee filter. I have a strainer basket that sits upright (similar to a collender). Place over a bowl and add the yogurt. Place in refrigerator over night. Ta Da! Yogurt Cheese!

You might have to use more than one filter to make sure filter comes up high enough on the strainer. If so, I would suggest lining the sides first, then add a filter to the bottom of the strainer. I'm going to buy some extra large paper filters (Restaurant size).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great snack and appetizer maker!, January 14, 2005
This review is from: Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker (Kitchen)
I love yogurt, and now that I have this lebna maker I can have the perfect yogurt treat anytime. My friends and family have grown to love the cheese too, so I like to serve it as an appetizer when they come over. It can hold a whole large container of yogurt at once (Danon has worked best so far).

I have tried using all types of yogurt with this product, including organic and European style - which are too "runny" in some cases (they can't hold up to the strainer too well). I also make my own yogurt occasionally which is "hit and miss". Danon is more readily available, but the Middle Eastern yogurt (found at international grocery stores) produces the perfect tart cheese (the way I like it).

Either way, try stirring in a little ground sea salt before you pour the yogurt into the cheese maker. When it's reduced by about half from draining, scoop out and top with plenty of cracked pepper, drizzle with olive oil, and serve with Middle Eastern style flat bread (toasted crisp)! Yummy!

Cuisipro Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker