1,331 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the $30
Published on January 16, 2008 by Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars Good filter, not a great shower head
As many of the reviews for this product indicate, the unit does seem to do a very good job of filtering the water supply and removing the chlorine odor. Just be aware of the head design. See all those little nozzles? They point straight out (no flare) and the front of the shower head is flat. As a result, the shower stream is EXTREMELY narrow.

Measured...
Published on March 10, 2009 by ampj_dad

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the $30, January 16, 2008
This review is from: Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Showerhead, Chrome Finish (Health and Beauty)
I was saving up to buy the Aquasana showerhead filter, trying to rationalize spending $80 on a product just because our water smells a little funky. I researched dillegently about all of my shower-filter options, read all the Amazon and other sites reviews I could find, and while there was a lot of hype about Aquasana, the real user reviews made me question it's durability, value, and also, it wasn't very pretty.

Then I discovered this Culligan shower filter. It's a little bigger than my regular showerhead, but that's more the massage settings than the filtration unit. It's shiny chrome and looks really nice in my shower. It installed in about 3 minutes and has worked beautifully for the last 2 months.

My main reason for buying this was bad smelling water. This filter got rid of all the odors in our tap water (the metallic tap water smell and the super nasty hydrogen sulfide/rotten egg smell that only got worse the hotter the water was). But it's also improved my skin and hair condition. All this time I had thought I had dry skin and damaged hair. But not anymore. I never would have thought to blame the water!

The 5 massage settings are nice, but I find I like the regular spray shower setting. I was worried that a filter may impact my water pressure, but it actually seems to have improved. The highest-pressure setting on this is almost too much pressure, but it might be good for a theraputic massage.

This was a fabulous find for only ~$30. The quality of the showerhead alone would be worth that, even without the added bonus of filtering out all the yucky stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shower Head, May 19, 2007
KPeel (IN United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this for over a year now. We do not have soft water, and I recommend this if you have the same problem. I replace the filter every 6 mo. I can tell a big difference with my hair (color) and skin. Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This has been a real life Seinfeld episode, May 11, 2010
Remember when Kramer and his friend Newman on the show Seinfeld complained of their new showerhead being installed by the apartment building's engineer was low flow? Kramer and Newman decided to buy an illegal showerhead and had to pick from several different models including a showerhead meant for circus animals. Well those two guys overcompensated and of course decided to purchase the showerhead meant for circus elephants.

So then Kramer gets in the shower and tried out his new circus animal showerhead and gets knocked down by the strong water pressure. Using this showhead reminded me of that.

Prior to purchasing the culligan filtered showerhead I was using a low flow showerhead. I had no idea my old showhead was low flow since the water pressure was great. I never had any complaints about the water pressure at all. So when I purchased the Culligan showerhead I expected the water pressure to be somewhat disappointing because it had a filter. So before installing it I took out the flow restrictor with needle nose pliers. Then I installed it, installation was as easy as Culligan says it is. Just screw it on the pipe although you may need tools to remove your old showerhead like I did.

Finally I tried it out and since I was used to my old showerhead, Culligan's showerhead pressure caused me to take a step back because the water pressure without the flow restrictor is somewhat painful. Fortunately like most people I can manually adjust the amount of water pressure I want for showering.

I'm warning everyone the water pressure is painful for those sensitive areas so think twice before removing that flow restrictor otherwise you might feel like you're in a real life Seinfeld episode. Install the Culligan showerhead WITH the flow restrictor on first. Then if you're unhappy with the water pressure go ahead and remove the Culligan showerhead, then remove the flow restrictor (Culligan provides instructions in the box that tells you how), then reinstall the Culligan showerhead.

Pros
1. Easy installation, even amateurs can install it
2. Great water pressure
3. My skin and hair are much softer after using this showerhead
4. Great price
5. Replacement filters are inexpensive
6. Quality and reliability, I haven't had any problems with this showerhead not working.

Cons.
1. None

This concludes today's Seinfeld episode.

NBC......beep, beep, beep.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!, January 6, 2008
I have battled eczema and extremely dry skin for a lifetime with countless moisturizers, creams, special body washes, etc. Who know my biggest enemy was my shower?! Now, for the first time ever, I can use regular BAR soap--if you have eczema, you know that this is a major coup! I can see a real difference now when I showered elsewhere on a holiday visit--I'm back to feeling like my skin was a flaky mess. I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone with dry skin and/or eczema. Oh, and as a bonus, it's also improved the quality of my curly hair! Win win!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good filter, not a great shower head, March 10, 2009

Measured 18-20" from the shower head, the water cone is barely the width of a dollar bill. That's a tight spread and your shoulders are out of the water if the shower is aimed at the middle of your back. There is no adjustment to widen the water spray. This may not bother everyone. However, if you like a wide spray, buy an inline filter and use the shower head of your choice.

I wish I had understood just how narrow the water stream was before I purchased this unit. This is my only complaint about an otherwise quality unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine - a little quirky mechanically, November 17, 2012
Length:: 1:14 Mins

UPDATE, Sept. 2014: After about two years of use, the massage feature has stopped working. It seems as though the little ball (or spinner?) has junked up. (City water, water softener.) Will try soaking in vinegar.

========================

I made (and revised) a short video showing the spray patterns from this unit in our shower. While making the video, I learned that you should always turn the selector ring CW. If you turn it CCW, you might unscrew the unit open!
----
I bought this Culligan unit to replace a Sprite Pure Spray Filtered Showerhead in Chrome. The Sprite head was 3 years old, was holding up fine for the most part, but the massage feature was problematic. Sometimes it worked, but more often than not, the massage ball mechanism wouldn't spin and there wasn't any massage action. (BTW, city water with a water softener. No scale.)

So when it came time to buy a replacement filter for the Sprite ($10), I decided to vote with my wallet and spent $15 more to replace the entire unit. It was either that or buy the Sprite HO-WH High Output White Shower Filter, Polished White, Chrome, Gold (which only comes in White, by the way), and buy a separate massaging shower head. Which would cost more in the end and would look worse.

Now, you know how you get a high pressure stream when you put your thumb over the end of a garden hose? That's how it is for the "Invigorating massage" setting on this Culligan. They aren't kidding. It's too strong and the frequency too fast. Even with the flow restrictor left in place in the head. (You can see the towel move in my video!)

Fortunately for us, I had already installed a shutoff valve in the shower stem, so I can modulate the water pressure. When I do that, the massage feature works fine. And when you run the combo full spray/pulse, it's just right.

On the other side of the coin, when you set the unit to full body/rain combo, the "rain" dribbles out. High volume = low pressure. How is it we all know this but the engineers at Culligan don't? (Interestingly, the engineers for the Sprite shower head figured it out and their unit is well balanced.)

Some reviewers report here they didn't like the "beam width" of the Culligan spray, saying it's too narrow. I didn't notice a problem. Our shower head is mounted about a foot above me (7 ft) and the spray extends to both sides of the bathtub at the opposite end. Seems the same as the Sprite in that regard. (That's for the full body spray.)

This Culligan unit has 5 settings. Our old Sprite shower head ostensibly had 8. But some, like full fine and fine medium spray, were indistinguishable with our water pressure. (Probably a Marketing thing. 8 must be better than 5, right?)

The Sprite had a tang on the rotating ring, which makes it easier to turn the selector when your hands are wet. The Culligan doesn't and often takes two hands to turn.

The Sprite's filter cartridges are clear, so you can see when you need to change the filter. (The media turns black.) The Culligan are opaque. And cost $2 more. (I should have weighed them to get a sense of which has more KDF media. They seems about the same, though.)

Just got this unit a few weeks ago, so I can't report on any long term problems.
---------
UPDATE: After a year, the flow has slowed down and it's time to buy a new filter. Problem is, I can't find filter at any local retail store in our major metropolitan area. Ace Hardware used to have them. Not any more. Same with Home Depot. Walmart says they have them but are out of stock. Looks like you either buy from Amazon or do a Walmart direct to store order.
----------

I liked the Sprite product better, except for its problematic massage feature. For now, this Culligan is working. As long as it does, it will do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase Ever, November 2, 2008
This is, without exaggeration, the best purchase I have ever made. It has a water-saving, 2.5-gallon-per-minute flow, which is both environmentally responsible and economical, combined with excellent water pressure and several powerful spray settings. (I prefer the standard spray setting, though, as the water pressure with some others can be almost too high.) It is well worth the price for these features alone.

The added filtration capability truly makes this an essential purchase, not just a worthwhile one, and it has done wonders for my family's severe itchy skin and my long wavy hair. Skin and scalp problems (dermatitis, pruritus, eczema) that were resistant to any type of treatment, including prescriptions, lessened by approximately 80% after using this showerhead. The need for conditioners and styling aids to manage my long hair also decreased notably.

This is not only a great, money-saving environmental purchase, but a great health and beauty purchase as well, and at such little cost. Furthermore, I installed it easily by myself in about 5 minutes, with only a wrench, and I'm still thrilled with it after 7 months. The best money I ever spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Five Spray Settings to Suit Your Mood... Narrow to Super Narrow, October 24, 2013
1384 Coach Rd (St. Paul, Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
Buy this product only if you are ok with all 5 settings being less than 5 inches wide in spray.

If that doesn't bother you and you don't need any wide settings, you will love this product. If not you will hate it. For us, it's a terrible disappointment and we will be replacing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Love it, I sure did!, April 10, 2013
Hello, Everyone

I'm a type of guy who reads almost every single review negative and positive and come up with a conclusion for myself. I also very heavily rely on the star rating. Anything 3 stars and below I'm very careful to order; anything 4/5 stars I still do my work but rely more on peoples reviews.

Delivery: Arrived quickly
Condition: Perfect

Product itself: The product was easy to install and works wonders. Good pressure and good options to choose from. You can feel the difference when you use this shower head.

Recommend it: Yes I would. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed too.

Any questions feel free to ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped with: Bloodshot Eyes, Fatigue, Eczema, Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Hair!!!!, December 19, 2013
Gregory Bravo (Buffalo, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is truly one of the best health purchases I've made for my family in quite some time!!!!!

I had no idea this would be the case, but our lives are a LOT better since we installed this Culligan Filtered showerhead. Several health issues--- even ones I never knew were related to chlorine--- improved SIGNIFICANTLY since installing it.

I have always had issues with chlorine in swimming pools--- my main symptom would be bloodshot eyes. I started to avoid pool swimming, swimming only in lakes and oceans. About ten years ago, I started noticing that my eyes would be red and bloodshot whenever I got out of the shower, too. Although I've never been drunk and don't drink alcohol, I imagine this is what hangover eyes might look like--- bloodshot, red and blearly. I didn't put the two together until recently, when I started reading a little bit about the poison called chlorine. Although only a minor annoyance, really, I figured it couldn't hurt my bloodshot eyes to try a showerhead that filtered out the chlorine.

Well, the showerhead significantly improved my bloodshot eyes... but it also helped SO MUCH MORE!

I never really noticed it before (since I assumed it was normal) but usually after I took a shower I would be fatigued, sometimes to the point of exhaustion. I just assumed it was the heat from the shower; I never understood when people would say they were “refreshed” after a shower, since I never was. Well, after installing the Culligan filterhead, now I get it! I’m not fatigued after a shower anymore! I did some research after this and found that chlorine can cause an immune reaction in your lungs similar to asthma. In fact, it’s been found that elite swimmers who spend a lot of time in chlorinated water have high levels of immune cells and inflammation markers in their lungs similar to those with asthma! (Google “pool chlorine lung swimmers.”)

Besides this pleasant surprise, another member of the household also had their health improve. The Culligan showerhead also helped them with their eczema and psoriasis! Seriously. These were decade-long problems which have gotten 50% better in two weeks. Truly amazing!

On the vanity front, it also changed our hair quality. My hair is much shinier and smoother now, as is everyone’s here-- even without any conditioner. And here I thought my hair was getting strawlike just because I’m getting older. Not! It was the chlorine!

One thing I would say, though, is that, although the showerhead says that it “filters up to 99% of chlorine,” I know for a fact that this is not the case. How do I know this? Well, I’m a professor of physics and environmental science. I took a sample of the filtered water to school and a sample of the unfiltered water to school and tested them for chlorine content. The Culligan only filtered about 80-85% of the chlorine in the original water; 20% of the chlorine was still present after being filtered by the Culligan. I guess this isn’t exactly false advertising, since it stated “filters UP TO 99% of chlorine.” 80% is surely UP TO 99%. Still, an 80% reduction in chlorine content has improved our health significantly.

I would recommend it!