4.0 out of 5 stars Just as Good as the Current Edition, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
This textbook is a really good way to understand the importance of culture in human behavior. Allows you to appreciate other cultures through highly relevant contemporary examples that some anthropologists go through in the field. The book also lets you see how culture impacts contemporary issues in the environment and economy. Books chapters I enjoyed reading were 2 (Concept of Culture), 6 (Language and Communication), 8 (Economics), 9 (Marriage and Family), 11 (Sex and Gender) and lastly 14 (Supernatural Beliefs). Ferraro's approach is from an applied perspective, and even though its a cultural anthropology textbook it still brings in relevant material.

5.0 out of 5 stars realign your view on our human existence, June 15, 2011
zenjen (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
Purchased for an Applied Anthropology class but will not sell this book back. It is very readable. The book as well as my professor changed my view on humanity forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cultural book, December 26, 2010
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
I happened to read this book when I was taking an online class. I have read almost all chapters. I have enjoyed each of them. The most important parts are the cross-cultural miscues. I think those are stories you can share with your friends. It is the idea that a cultural trait in one culture can mean something totally different in another culture, sometimes even an offense. With that said, this book can benefit anybody in this 21st century, when we bump into cultures that without airplanes, we would have never even in a 100 lifetimes. That said, in this interconnected world, it is easy to have prejudgment thoughts towards other cultures. This book will open your eyes in many aspects, from how sex is viewed around cultures, to religion, to homosexuality,... It answers important questions such as, "Is sex drive, a human nature or is it culture?" It turns out that sex drive is culture. There is a culture, the Dani, they have a low sex drive, and there is a period of 5 years abstinence after a child is born. Is materialism a human trait or culture? It turns out that it is culture. In some culture, they value wisdom, age, selflessness,... more that material values...
The list goes... So if you have to take this book, know that you will enjoy it. It will not bore you to death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
clean and good condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome textbook, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
Thanks to Professor Jenny Bahn for assigning this textbook and allowing us to purchase it off Amazon. My college bookstore was selling it brand-new for $94.00 and were all out of used editions. I got this for $3.40 and saved my sanity. This textbook is super easy to read and I love the formatting. Each chapter has a summary and full list of "key terms" that will keep your vocabulary skills on the edge. I've learned so much and it's only the 3rd week of summer school!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, May 3, 2014
Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars just right, February 19, 2013
It was exactly the text that I needed for class, and I got it at a fraction of the book store

5.0 out of 5 stars great book condition!, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
I rented a few books from several websites for my fall semester in college, and when this particular book arrived, I was so amazed! I got it in such a great price,and it was like new! I use it for class three times a week, and my family originally thought I had bought it new at a bookstore because it was in such great shape. Thankyou!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
Very timely shipment and the book was in condition as stated. I will definitely be buying from this person again. Thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but hard to understand, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective (Paperback)
The course here is intense. The material being interesting but some of the concepts and vocab is not easy to understand.

Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective
Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective by Gary P. Ferraro (Paperback - February 24, 2009)
Used & New from: $48.00