5.0 out of 5 stars Good well cited book
Amazon should only allow people to review the book if you have bought it from them, that way we can eliminate all of the drones trying to rate the book as one star despite the fact they haven't read it.

Now...on to the review.
Published on August 27, 2009 by D. A. Bentley

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is about Ethics! Not Conservs vs Libs
Published on August 31, 2009 by James A. Keddie

5.0 out of 5 stars Good well cited book, August 27, 2009

Now...on to the review.
I like Michelle's writing style. I've been a fan of hers since the 2004 election. I knew she was a journalist before she started writing her blog, so she has the experience in researching and gathering facts before writing the story and research she did.

This book does a very good job of pointing out the corruption of this administration that you won't get in the mainstream media (MSM). While they gush, faint and swoon for this President and affectionately compare him to the next Kennedy, Michelle paints a different picture of Chicago style bare knuckles thug type politics.

Michelle O. is no better. She complains about being kept on the periphery of society while attending Princeton and Harvard, a chance most Americans will never have. She served on a law form before going on to be a "health administrator" at the U. of Chicago Medical Center and eventually helping to create one of the worst medical programs in terms of patient care in the country.

Biden is the epitome of a corrupt politician who engages in nepotism at every turn. He has is greasy little hands in everything funneling tons of earmarks to amtrack buddies and his friends in the State of Delaware.

Valerie Jarrett served as a board member for several organizations that provided funding and support for Chicago housing projects operated by real estate developers and Obama financial backers Rezko and Allison Davis. (Davis is also Obama's former boss.) Jarrett was a member of the Board of Directors for the Woodlawn Preservation and Investment Corporation along with several Davis and Rezko associates, as well as the Fund for Community Redevelopment and Revitalization, an organization that worked with Rezko and Davis. She also managed Grove Parc Plaza, which the Boston Globe said was "uninhabitable by unfixed problems, such as collapsed roofs and fire damage.
In 2006, federal inspectors graded the condition of the complex an 11 on a 100-point scale. The score is so bad the buildings now face demolition. Ms. Jarrett refused to comment this disaster and pocketed a six figure salary to boot.

This is just the beginning, there are many, many more examples of corruption, nepotism, dirty money and mafia style tactics

In this book we get to see the Obama cabinet of tax cheats and swindlers, all things the MSM ignores. Why the GOP doesn't fight this more I don't know. What I do know is if any one of us had pulled these tricks we'd be in an orange jumpsuit. I find it ironic that nomination after nomination was either not paying their taxes or involved in some other corruption charge...hope and change indeed. It's business as usual.

Anyone who fell for the mantra of hope and change need to read this book and see it's not just business as usual, it's Chicago business as usual. This administration of tax cheats, swindlers and self proclaimed marxists will destroy this country.

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opening, enjoyable read, with plenty of hard evidence, March 22, 2010
I find myself yet again wishing I could grant this review another half of a star, but since I can't, I just have to stick with four.

The great thing about Michelle Malkin is that she's a trained reporter, so she knows how to source well. Throughout the book she provides references which point back to the "hard" evidence to support her claims.

As such, Malkin has a certain level of credibility that other Obama / Democrat bashing authors severely lack.

There are a few places where Malkin makes a few leaps. For example, she seems convinced that a refusal to disclose certain business deals automatically means the deal is shady, but coming from the business world, I know that is not necessarily the case. She may be correct, but I like to base my opinions on solid facts, not conjecture.

For the most part, her analysis is confined to whatever the evidence strictly supports, and I appreciate that.

As a conservative, and someone who started learning about Chicago politics once Obama announced his candidacy, I found very little in this book outright surprising. Nonetheless, it was a still an eye-opener to see it all compiled in one place.

Liberals will probably discount this book simply because they don't want to believe any of it, but if you can approach it with an open mind you are sure to come away with information that will probably surprise you.

It should be worth noting that a person reading this book should not automatically think that the other side of the political spectrum is much better. Republicans are, in many cases, just as corrupt as the Democrats Malkin outlines in this book. Malkin has nailed some of those Republicans over the years and I respect her for that.

I do encourage folks to not use this book as their sole source upon which to formulate your opinions -- obviously the book is focused on corruption and ethics, and doesn't give much credit where credit is due. Nevertheless, I would consider this an essential read for anyone really trying to get a full background of the nature of politics today, or on the history of the Obama administration's key players pre-White House.

2,285 of 2,843 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Should Have Been Titled "Cesspool of Corruption"!, August 2, 2009
B. Hoffman (Flower Mound, TX) - See all my reviews
Before I proceed with my review, it is clear from the polar opposite 1-star reviews that there are many libs commenting on the book, so let me go ahead and mention the "drone" talking points so they won't get distracted - "Bush lied, people died", "Cheney/Halliburton", "Scooter Libby", "Karl Rove caused Katrina", "Blackwater", "9/11 was in inside job", blah, blah, blah.

Having said all of that, Michelle Malkin did an excellent job of laying out a coherent, well-researched, and systematic roadmap of corruption, self-serving favors, and criminal activity -- all linked to our President and his network of thug insiders. She clearly lays out the proven links between the players and the overwhelming evidence of the role of money and corruption on how things get done in Washington. I had heard of many of these players through other research and reading, but Ms Malkin brought to light NUMEROUS relationships between these players I was not aware of, and which cause an even greater disgust for business as usual. President Obama has somehow convinced all the drones that he's above "Politics as Usual", but the sheer weight of the evidence clearly shows he's neck deep in the "cesspool", but his lips are still moving.

After reading all of the negative reviews on the book, one would hope the detractors could at least debunk the book with facts and evidence, but of course if the allegations are true then that's not possible..........so, on to Plan B! Attack the author as a right-wing hack, and paint all the readers as ignorant right-wing talk radio heads who can't think for themselves.

I am a well-educated senior executive in business, and I observe every day that "relationships matter", and who a person associates with tells a lot about that person. It is often said that "integrity is what you do when nobody's looking", which I heartily endorse. Based on the contents of this book, if the players are this flagrant in their "visible behavior", can you imagine what they are capable of when nobody's looking?

This was a riveting book which I wasn't able to put down, and well worth the time. I applaud Michelle Malkin for the hard work and thorough research that obviously went into this body of work!

5.0 out of 5 stars I simply had no idea how bad it is!, August 19, 2009
I am a staunch conservative and have been for many years. If you define an independent as someone whose stomach was turned by George Bush and Barack Obama, then I'm an independent. Neither of these men know anything about small non-intrusive government or conservative values. Well Bush is gone now and the menu before us has Barack Obama's name on the cover. I knew the conservative mantra of negatives about Obama before, during, and after election. He had the most liberal voting record of any Senator, no experience running anything, biggest claim to fame prior to government professional was "community organizer", the Tony Rezko connection, Bill Ayres, Rev. Wright etc. etc. blah blah blah. That was plenty enough for me to believe he was eminently unqualified, if not dangerous, as an American President. Been there...did that.

Then I read Michelle Malkin's "Culture Of Corruption" I fancied myself somewhat of a political junkie and as such could not imagine a jaw-dropping political expose. Wrong again bar room breath. The book is jaw dropper not just because of the plethora of corruptive associations and activities concerning Obama (and his spouse believe it or not), but the vast depth and breadth of corruption involving his key government advisors, appointees, and friends. It is so meticulously documented that it also served as proof positive that mainstream media is even more corrupted than I imagined. The proof was out there!

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is about Ethics! Not Conservs vs Libs, August 31, 2009
As a matter of disclosure, I am a rep turned dem. I dislike President Bush's (actually Cheney's) politics, but like citizen George W Bush. I did vote for Obama. I would have voted for McCain if I didn't have to take the machine that comes with him. He is an honorable person. I'm retired now, and in my later corporate years (middle management) I spent a good deal of time looking at "ethics"...

And that is the point of the book. Malkin's book is about "Ethics". It is not about left verses right, Conservatives vs liberals, or Republicans verses Democrats. She makes this point clear right up front. She is really not saying look what they terrible Dems are doing, lets go back to Reps... She's saying these folks made the following claims about ethics.... and their actions appear otherwise...

It is important to understand that a large part of her premise is based on "Here's what the person (Obama) said they are going to do. And here's what they did or appear to be doing." That is, she compares "words" against "actions"...

At no time does she say that the "other side" (who ever you want the other side to be) is better.... If you pay close attention she nails Republics as well as Dems... Liberals as well as conservatives.... Blue, Grey, White, Red... .it doesn't matter... If their spoken ethics don't match the actions.... she digs into the matter...

As others have said.. She does a very good job of raising potentially wrong ethical actions of those in the Obama administration... as well as those who tried to, but didn't make it into the administration..

Where she goes far left of center herself (a driving reference) is that instead of simply stating the facts, she states the facts, a good deal of inference, a fair amount of association, and adds an enormous amount of color.

Ethics is about "Intent"... and it occurs at two levels... There are actions that give the appearance in impropriety.. and there are actions that ARE just improper.... Ms Malkin adds a lot of color that ... well... it leads the reader.... sort of like leading the witness in a court room... Its a matter of stating facts that are not in evidence...

This book is a MUST read for both Libs... and conservs.... The book does an extremely good job of showing just what a politician is up against... in fact, anyone in a position of responsibility, authority, power.... On the basis of something a relative did, an associate, a direct report, the politician may see their career go up in flames.. its not unlike corporate life.. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time... and you're fired as the Donald would say....

Consider the following... You pick up your 4 year old grandson up at daycare... As you are walking out the door with him, a string of explitives come out of his mouth... You pick him and swat him on his bottom telling to use proper language, not that horrible stuff he just said... The daycare manager then accuses you of child abuse....

It really does depend ... doesn't it... Did the daycare manager withness a act of child abuse... or a loving grand parent taking firm action....??

I encourage everyone to read the book.... There are some important issues to consider ..... Good points are raised (on both sides).... Did Biden just sell his house... or was it a way of covering up an unethical favor.... Are the Whitehouse Czars doing important work... or are they a way of getting around congress (hmmmm.. .doesn't make sense to get round a congress that is on the same side you are...) So there is lots of material to chew on...

The point of the book is to decide ... for yourself... with a lot of pushing from Malkin....what is ethical... morally right.... living up to the stated standards..... and what is not.... What do you expect of those that you elect to public office...???

By the way... Go to the Townhall Meetings... Talk to these folks.... even if you think they are corrupt... Meet them for yourself...

It is a compeling read... which ever side you are on.... Its not about sides though... its about Ethics...

915 of 1,159 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Read the Book, August 4, 2009
B. Newman (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a Libertarian. Did not vote for Bush. Did not vote for Obama. Loved this book. A very important read. So very few of the one-star reviewers appear to have actually read it. The facts are very well documented and footnoted in the book. I'm open to a refutation--I just haven't seen one that involves well-researched information or facts.

It seems if you consider yourself "conservative" you're predestined to like this book. If you're "liberal" predestined to hate it. However, for someone like me, who reads a lot on both sides of the aisle to find a bit of sense somewhere, this is a great and informative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not pleasant reading, August 12, 2009
Geoff Puterbaugh (Chiang Mai, T. Suthep, A. Muang Thailand) - See all my reviews
I learned quite a bit about two women named Michelle from this book.

Michelle Malkin is someone I had only known as a blogger. But she's been a working journalist since 1992, and a syndicated columnist since 1999. She's also a prize-winning muckraker: she won the COGEL national award while working for the Seattle Times. (That's the Council on Governmental Ethics Laws, and she won the prize for exposing corruption in the state of Washington -- among Democrats, Republicans, and political organizations. To sum up: she's not a lightweight, and she's not a beginner. She is among the very best investigative journalists we have.

Michelle Obama --- well, she's not a lightweight, or a beginner, either. Despite her constant complaints about being kept on the "periphery" of events, this poor, poor woman went to Princeton and then to Harvard Law School. She served a brief, inglorious term in her chosen profession (the law) but quickly advanced to a series of patronage positions, including a job especially created for her at the University of Chicago Medical Center. She was soon pulling down $500,000 per year as a ...medical administrator?? Do people generally go to Harvard Law so they can make a fortune in hospital administration? Well, Michelle O. has her own way of doing things, like wearing those $540 Lanvin sneakers while "helping out" at a food bank.

A sketch of the book's contents: Chapter One is the tale of all those Obama nominations that went down in flames due to problems with unpaid taxes, charges of corruption, and general political crookedness. Chapter Two is about Michelle O --- whom Michelle M calls "First Crony."

Chapter Three is about Joe Biden, and it's a big surprise. I had no idea Biden and his family were so corrupt. I don't really follow politics that closely, in normal times, so I just assumed that Joe Biden was Bozo the Clown. "Our foreign policy expert," no less. Well, he may be Bozo, but this Clown has his fingers in pockets all over the place. Hope & Change? Joe Biden represents the very opposite; he personifies "Beltway Business as Usual." Chapter Four introduces us to the Obama Cabinet --- and a sad lot they are. The saddest of them all seemed to be the new Labor Secretary, a complete union loyalist & fanatic who co-sponsored the infamous "Card Check" bill, which seeks to eliminate the secret ballot in union elections!! (When she was asked about this bill --- the one she co-sponsored --- she managed to duck and weave and avoid offering any definite opinion about what she might do. Oh, Hope & Change!!)

Chapters Seven and Eight contain an awful lot of the dirt about SEIU and ACORN. These chapters have a renewed relevance right now, when the corrupt ACORN gang has been caught red-handed encouraging seriously criminal activity, including underage prostitution. (ACORN just appointed "an independent panel" to look into things, and you can find most of the members of that panel right here in this book. One of those "independent" investigators is the head of SEIU. Really, you can't make stuff like this up!)

Reading this book is slow going because it is so amazingly depressing. More truth in reviewing: I didn't vote for Obama, because he worried me from his first campaign speeches (which I stopped listening to). It was clear to me that Barack Obama never saw a government program he didn't like. So I hoped that he would grow into the job and govern from the center. "Hope" didn't accomplish much.

Reading this book is not a jolly experience, it is a painful duty.

Two closing remarks: first, a lot of Obama supporters brush this book off because "it was written in less than six months." That's not right. Malkin has been covering Barack Obama since he appeared on the national scene, and has been continuously blogging about him and his cronies since then. When he won the election, I imagine she shifted into high gear. There's no question that the book was produced quickly, because it contains a number of trivial typographical errors and oversights, such as a long citation which lacks a footnote. But the BOOK does not lack footnotes. On the contrary, it has 75 pages of source documentation! Like so many other things in life, the "luck" of Michelle Malkin grew out of a huge amount of hard work over a period of two years or more. None of the little goofs in the book are substantive in any way.

Second -- well, I'll let Ralph Waldo Emerson say it: "As we are, so we associate. The good, by affinity, seek the good; the vile, by affinity, the vile. Thus, of their own volition, souls proceed into heaven, into hell."

Michelle Malkin deserves a Pulitzer prize for this book. But I hope nobody is naive enough to think that she'll even come close to getting it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have been titled Grease, July 29, 2009
Peter Ingemi (Worcester County, Massachusetts United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Michelle Malkin's new book "Culture of Corruption" is a damning review of a connected Chicago Pol and his connected wife who have surrounded themselves with other connected and corrupt people who only seem to have one thing in common; living off the proceeds of those connections.

The book details how over and over people have been given positions of power and used that power to direct public monies to friends, political sponsors and their families. The reward? Political support both funds and muscle, employment for family and friends and when their time of "public service" is through; "jobs" to establish or increase their personal wealth.

There are two distinct groups the first are Direct members of the "Chicago Crowd" such as the first lady and Valerie Jarret detailed in Chapter 2. These are the folks that greased the wheels to get this president where he is today. The SEIU and ACORN Chapters also reflect the Chicago connection. They are a great example of what is wrong with machine politics.

The other group are appointments unrelated to his Chicago crowd who bring their own connections/ethics/money issues to the table. It is the willingness to embrace that 2nd group, much to the surprise of "locals" familiar with the foibles of these connected pols, Washington and wall street insiders that is striking but not surprising. If after all you are going to run things the Chicago Way you need people who understand the ground rules of connection and reward. These people do in spades. (The Joe Biden chapters fits is perfectly here).

The 300 pages and the copious notes including tons of web references with dates of access very much support the thesis that the "hope and change" of the administration is a lot of Hotair.

There are two bits that while informative are in my opinion off thesis:

First there is the section on the Clintons in the final chapter of the book. It surprised me. I expected a reiteration of the many Clinton scandals but Michelle manages to confine her tale of quid pro quo machine to unfamiliar events from the year 2000 on, it was very informative but I don't think that corruption is related to the "Obama/Chicago" way. The corruption of the Clintons is real but their inclusion in this administration was a necessary political decision that could not be avoided.

Finally the epilogue also only tangentially supported the thesis. The story of Chris Dodd and Countrywide is important since for months the MSM has handled with all the diligence they gave to the Rielle Hunter/John Edwards story, but it seemed to me out of place. Dodd's corruption reflects more on Congress as a whole than on this president in particular. The president's support of him is a reflection of his Senate power, not anything else.

With these caveats I can say that this book is an invaluable, particularly with large expensive programs currently in the works. It explains why these things are considered so vital to the administration. It is a roadmap for what those hundreds of millions of dollars will actually be spent on.

After this book you can't say you weren't warned

5.0 out of 5 stars What they want you to forget, July 31, 2009
Michelle Malkin is a conservative/libertarian pundit who runs two websites: [...]. In Culture of Corruption she gathers dozens of stories that the media reported once, then covered up, and a few more that haven't been widely seen.

Most of what's in here should be familiar to anyone who pays attention to the news. But for those who have lost count, she puts the facts in order, and comes up with a very, very ugly picture of corruption and power, in the Obama Administration, in the upper reaches of the Democratic Congressional Delegation, and in the network of organizations that have lent their power and money--gathered under false pretenses--to the Democratic Party cause.

Now the bad part. While I admire Michelle Malkin greatly, she sometimes indulges in rhetorical strokes that hurt her cause. It is one thing to list a politician's long history of slimey tactics; it is another to label him a slimeball, however much he may deserve the label. This does not hurt her case but it hurts her cause, because people who are on the verge of taking the argument seriously and changing their minds may use the labels as an excuse, declaring to themselves that the argument is nothing more than the author's bitterness. If I'm describing you, please don't make this excuse.

If you think that Michelle is being unfair because she makes a case that the media will not, try this test: When watching, reading, or hearing a news report about a politician, note whether the item is approving or condemning. Then note whether the politician's party affiliation is given, and if so what it is. Here is what I expect you will find: that a condemnatory report will name a Republican's affiliation but not a Democrats; that an approving report will name a Democrat's affiliation but not a Republican's. And that this pattern will hold at least seven times out of eight.

If you are not willing to put the media to this test, ask yourself why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Curruption Has Become Systemic...Time To Cut Out This Cancer...BUT BEWARE, July 24, 2010
Randy Gilbert aka DrProactive (the US. Find me on LinkedIn as DrProactive) - See all my reviews
"Culture of Corruption" by Michelle Malkin was a totally eye-opening book. I read it right after Barack Obama became President; however, I thought to myself that "surely Obama wouldn't be able to stay on his path of disregard for morals and ethics. I figured that his open contempt for following rules and laws would be squelched by his promise for transparency. But, I was completely and utterly wrong. It has now been 18 months and any hopes that we might have had for a turn around, have now all been shown to be false hopes.

Not only does Obama still have the liberal "lamestream" media (MSNBC, CNN, NBC, ABC, New York Times, Washington Post, etc., etc., etc.) doing his bidding exactly as they are told, but somehow they have become just as deceitful on their own. It is like they have the green light to fabricate their own lies (all in support if the progressive socialist agenda), as if there are no longer any checks and balances. Somehow Barack has made it okay to lie, as long as you don't call it lying, just like Bill Clinton made it okay to have illicit sex, as long as you don't call it sex.

Not only has the deceit continued to get worse, tyranny has spilled out to all areas of the government to the point that Obama's Big Government takeover is now stealing directly from the American people and he is using their own money against them.

Michelle Malkin's book is a must read for every Patriot. If you have only been watching the main stream media you will be in for the shock of your life as you discover what has really been going on. The feelings of vomiting will pass however. And when they do, I hope you will convert your anger into a resolve to not let the deceit continue.

"Culture of Curruption" gets 5 stars from me for two reason. First, I believe it is written extremely well and the facts uncovered are undeniable. Secondly, it accomplishes its intended purpose of waking people up and getting them to join this new Revolution 2.0. If you love America and want to get Obama and his cronies out of the White House, so your children might continue enjoying freedom and liberty, then I highly recommend you read this book ASAP.

Michelle Malkin is a Patriot and a fighter for the cause of Liberty. She had convinced me to not sit quietly and watch the debauchery continue, but to rather band together with those who oppose politicians like Barack Obama, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and other liberals who continue to lead us further into Socialism.

A WORD OF CAUTION: If you fee the same way and begin speaking out and/or taking action to defend Liberty, there is a very high chance that those who embrace social governmental control (and the removal of our U.S. Constitutional rights) will become offended. And, because they don't have a regard for following laws (because they equate liberty with the freedom from moral discipline), they might try to accuse you of false wrong doing (i.e. lie about you and perhaps call you a racist) and otherwise try to harm your reputation.

Therefore, I would highly recommend getting another book called, Wild West 2.0: How to Protect and Restore Your Reputation on the Untamed Social Frontier. As a Patriot, it is inevitable that you will run across people who will try to ruin your online reputation (like they do to Michelle Malkin). This book tells you exactly where to look for the problems that Liberals might cause for you and then how to repair them.

Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies