Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 2, 2000
While parts of the story seemed a bit far-fetched, my 5th grade students loved the play on words in the characters' names. They also enjoyed seeing how a rectangle was changed to create other polygons (and finally a circle). At the end of the reading, one student said, "I'll never forget THESE math terms!" I suppose I achieved my objective. The kids didn't much care for the illustrations, however. They created their own!
on November 24, 2001
This book creatively exposes the reader to some common geometric terms. Although I would not say it is extremely educational, it is the most mathematically educational story book I've ever seen (because most story books are not about math). My three year old daughter thought the book was for her, and asked to have it read to her every night. She loved it! My 11 year old son is really too old for the book, but he still liked it.
on March 6, 2003
I read this to my seven year old. He found the story very interesting and runs about laughing about things like diameter and circumference. He remembers the names, and the way the measurements are presented is very conceptual. Great for young kids, but above third grade or so, I'd say it may not do a whole lot except for help remember the names. It was a *cute* story, not anything very dramatic, and was appropriate for young children.
on June 12, 1999
This book answers that question with a resounding "YES!" To call a children's book "riveting" may seem a bit pretentious, but my husband and I could not put this book down! Each page is filled with "new" characters from King Arthur's court you'll never forget! The amazing characterizations of math and geometry make this book one of the best learning tools I've found yet. Parents, no longer approach the "dreaded subject" of teaching math to your kids with fear...Sir Cumference is truly our "knight in shining armor!"
on April 21, 1998
This is a great book for all ages. I used it with my 7th grade math class to help explain circles and how we measure them. They loved it. They all paid attention and learned from this fun book.
on August 5, 2006
My daughter has always had a problem learning Math but reading this book (along with the others in this series) has helped her immensely! The books themselves are a bit young for her but the concepts in them (Pi, Geometry, etc) are explained in a way I think she needed.

I would recommend these to anyone who has a child with problems in math concepts.
on July 8, 2000
I'm not a connoiseur of children's literature. But I will be teaching high school math in about a year and used this book for a math methods class. I enjoyed the humor and the art. The reading level is about 4th grade and so is the math content. Most of the book illustrates in a amusing way just how circles are different from other geometric shapes and how these differences affect the design of everyday objects. The book ends by tying the definition of circumference, radius and diameter to the names and actions of the main characters in the story.
However, the story line is marred by a certain tedious political correctness in that the outsiders who appear to threaten the realm are not really a threat - it's all a misunderstanding. This hollows out the content of the ideal of the knight (or soldier or policeman), a hero who employs his strength at the risk of his own life to defend the more vulnerable members of the community from villains and the community itself from outside threats.
on April 10, 2005
I have used this book with 6th, 7th and 8th graders. They all enjoyed it and always seem to remember the circle concepts now. Great for middle school teachers to use!
on August 17, 2005
I love this book because it has such a great way of explaining about circumfrences, diameters, and radiuses. It's so easy to unterstand that I learned in Kindergarten or 1st grade what I would have learned in 4th. Definitly worth it.
on April 27, 2007
My kids (9 and 6) , who are homeschooled, loved this story and it resulted in them being able to instantly recall the proper names of geometric elements and classes (e.g., radius, circumference, obtuse, acute). This is probably due to the clever visual and contextual associations provided. We bought another book in the series right afterward with the same results. Plan to get them all.