4.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed all my expectations
Published on September 2, 2000 by Mock Duck

1.0 out of 5 stars This book makes me feel humiliated to be a feminist.
Published on July 29, 2012 by Juniper

1.0 out of 5 stars This book makes me feel humiliated to be a feminist., July 29, 2012
This review is from: Cunt: A Declaration of Independence Expanded and Updated Second Edition (Paperback)
I felt ashamed to read this book as a very vocal and active feminist. I'm radical, pro-choice, and pro-woman, but this stuff is so awful that it reads like satire. She whines for an entire chapter about how horribly oppressed she is because she has to buy menstrual products. She recommends that her readers refuse to read books written by men. She says that birth control is a tool of the patriarchal machine, so she refuses to use it-- and ends up having three abortions, which she actually has the audacity to brag about. I'm very, very pro-choice, but it's grotesquely irresponsible to repeatedly refuse to use effective birth control as some kind of political statement, and to then have abortions one after the other as if each one is a new piercing or something. It also really disturbs me to think that some impressionable young women might follow her terrible advice to avoid birth control, and she recounts her self-performed (DANGEROUS) abortion as if it was some kind of fun adventure that everyone should try. Then she goes on to recommend lesbianism as a form of birth control, which really offends me as a queer woman because it implies that being gay is a choice. The writing is redundant and crude and her attitude is self-congratulatory and arrogant. I do NOT recommend this book to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed all my expectations, September 2, 2000
Sick of academic feminism, I really thought this book was going to be a slipshod piece of etymological scholarship. I picked it up to laugh at it. Imagine my shock when it turned out to be a smart, feisty, personable, positive, constructive, angry, liberating book - oh yeah, and fun. The sheer pleasure Musico finds in life and words is exhilarating. Reading her book is like talking to your best friend - she's stubborn, kind of crazy, and I still don't agree with all her politics, but it's damned hard not to like her or to respect where she's coming from. Also, she has some sound, specific, and clearly stated advice on how to keep from being raped/mugged - that alone is probably enough to make the book worth reading.

I do think the majority of college-educated, pro-choice American women will get a kick out of this, if they can get past the embarassing cover (buying this book felt very much like buying a box of tampons - this is fallout from the author's relentlessly sex-positive attitudes). However, extreme feminists will probably find it overly personal, insufficiently rigorous, and too focused on the lives of women of the demographic I mentioned above.

4.0 out of 5 stars something else, December 24, 1999
This book is from a kickass school: it's not preoccupied with men, it's not loose and theoretical. It's about coming to terms: with your own body, with language, with the culture at large. It's about subverting the tampon industry, hanging out with your mom, taking control of some of the more suspicious parts of your life, and riding skateboards down the street while wearing bunny-ear hats. I never did feel like part of the club before when reading feminist literature, but this book made me feel invited to the party.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, pro-woman read, February 21, 2006
This book was given to me to read by a friend. It was one of the most inspiring, woman-friendly books I have ever read. I would encourage everyone, man, woman, whatever, to read it. I may not use sea sponges as sanitary pads or trust my sexual health to herbs, but if this book taught me one thing, it was to think before making a degrading comment about another woman, to accept myself, flaws and all, and to encourage other women to love themselves. As for my bias, well I am a pro-choice, female, democrat college student. But I encourage everyone to read it. Even if most of it offends you, I can't imagine anyone reading this book coming out of it worse off (ie disliking women, and all people, more) than they did prior to reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encourages Women to Support One Another, December 30, 2004
When the book first came out and Inga would find herself in social settings accosted by "So, what do you do?" questions, how she'd answer would pretty much be determined by her impression of the person asking. Usually, it was something like: I'm a writer of a women's studies book rather than blurting out, "I wrote a book about c*&^s. And you?" I found the same to be true when asked "So, what are you reading these days."

Now that I've finished reading Muscio's book, I'm quite happy to tell people about it and freely voice the title. It's not because of any one thing she's said. The book as a whole is a gem once you get past the F-word in every second sentence. It was a distraction in the beginning but not anymore so than the title of the book.

The book gives some biology, some current state of affairs, and some history on the weight women have had to bear because they have c-word(s). Muscio wants women, transgenders etc.. to reclaim the word from men. The word is just a metaphor for a bigger picture. C-word(s) haven't been important to women in the last 200+ years but they have earned men an awful lot of money, among other things. Although the bold Muscio is not so gentle with the terminology.

Muscio wants women to start regaining their power, not as men bashing feminists but as the intelligent and beautiful goddesses we are. Doing this requires some responsibilities of us. Beginning with taking back the language. Learning about our bodies, self protection. Providing a support network. Muscio covers all these things. I found the passages on bleeding and rape to be especially effective, moving and educational. I wish I had read this book as a teenager.

To say some of what Muscio has to say is eyebrow lifting is an understatement. I didn't agree with some of the things she said, especially her idolization of prostitutes into goddesses serving an important role in society. In fact, I found most of what she had to say about whores to be garbage. The profession of prostitution is just one more male dominated form of women abuse. I also refuse to smash my teevee to bits as I'm quite content to be deluded by my one channel.

If you are sensitive to swear words and church bashing, this book probably isn't for you. But if you can get past it you might just learn something about your c-word and women as a whole.

Serious stuff? Can be at times but Muscio's little life antidotes lighten things up and give perspective on her choices and thoughts. I like how she doesn't claim to know everything but encourages women to discuss the topics in their own circles.

This is the book's second edition. It includes a huge afterward of updates on Muscio's previous thoughts not because she feels anything is wrong or out of place but because ideas have evolved. She loses me a bit here when she goes off on politics and Bush (could be because I've been over-Bushed lately). At the end is an incredibly huge section of recommendations for surfing the net. Everything from alternative women's magazines and sex toys to educational resources and all natural pads.

So go pick up your book today. Read it and then start talking about it to the women in your life. Share your book with others. Encourage discussion. Only through discussion and understanding can we reclaim our C-word(s) along the other aspects of our lives.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why im proud to be a woman...., February 19, 2004
By A Customer
For the longest time I've been afraid to express sexual feelings, or even talking about femininity for fear that I would be looked down upon or opressed. This book has opened my eyes to see what beauty ALL women posess, and actually made me proud to be one. I am no longer afraid to discuss menstration, or sex with anyone else, and it has made me value my body for the temple that it really is. I would recommend that everyone read this book, espcially women, and you too will understand the power that women can have under any circumstance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enpowering and wonderful, March 13, 2001
This is the most empowering book i've ever read. As a feminist, lesbian, and avid reader/student of women's studies, i have to say that this is the best book i've read all year. Inga Muscio talks about female anatomy, rape, abortion, orgasms, menstruation, and prostitution. While i didn't agree with EVERY point she made, i was shown an itelligent point of view that made me think of things i had never thought of before. She made me feel even PROUDER to be a woman. I have purchased copies of this book for my girlfriend and another female friend, and i intend on buying a copy for my mother. I wish i could give this books to everyone that has ever meant anything to me, male and female, to share her beautiful points of view. She embraces life, praises women, and entertains all at the same time. I recommend this book to everyone for an education and a new appreciation for women and for life. I recommend this book HIGHLY, and you'll want 3 copies (one for yourself, one for your best friend, and one for your mother/sister!) ENJOY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow :), March 24, 2006
A little bit about my lens with which I view the world: I'm a 21 year old woman, a history major currently attending a military college with only 10% other women (which I don't mind,) straight, and a republican (fine, yell at me later.) That said, this book was my introduction into the world of herstory and just being a loving woman (both self and others.) I've always had these ideas hanging in the back of my head, and always been bothered by some blatant inequities, so ingrained in our societal mind that they're apparent even at my school, which does everything it can to ensure our sex does not hinder or help us in relation to the boys. I really enjoyed this new view of my body part which until now, was really just a huge pain, a constant reminder that I wasn't as fast or as strong as the boys, and that simply living entailed so many more risks than they had to take. I wasn't so cool with the section on abortion, but that's the author's choice, I kinda believe that unborn women have rights too.

I was amazed at the section on rape-- how it is committed by people with a complete and utter lack of respect, well, I can't paraphase it well, I don't have the book with me right now, but it was an outstanding point.

Thank God that we were all born in a time that women can *finally* start expounding on our right to equality and at the same time the blessing we have that we are different than men (but still wonderful!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings., July 7, 2009
Patty (Long Island, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
Like the title says, I had mixed feelings about this book. Some of it I liked very much, and there were a lot of interesting ideas to be found. But some of it just had me shaking my head, most likely because I'm an athiest who is very into science and medicine. Like the claims that one can 'fix' their painful periods by stopping the use of all painkillers and just going outside to look at the moon for a few weeks. Or that the author induced an herbal abortion that wasn't actually caused by herbs but by her thinking hard enough about the abortion happening. Not to mention a lot of mentions of the almighty Moon Goddesses.

If you ignore all the 'you can shape your entire world just by thinking hard enough' spiritual mumbo-jumbo (unless you're into that kind of thing, which is fine, I'm just not) it's a good book. Some of it's a bit extreme for my person views but what's the point of reading works like this if not to experience views other than your own? Sadly the above-mentioned issues kept me from enjoying this book as much as I could have, though not everyone will have that issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars What are you gonna do?, August 24, 2004
Kelly H (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put this book down. I carried it with me everywhere -- to the grocery store, to work, to a local coffeeshop. And if I had to go in somewhere and leave the book behind, I left it on my dashboard so passersby could plainly see the title. Heehee.

I can't say I'm going to go out and start doing everything Ms. Muscio suggests, but she's certainly planted some seeds. I do wish I had a young niece so I could throw her a menarche party; all my nieces are past that stage now.

Here's my advice to you about this book: Yes, the name is shocking and might even be offensive to you. Before I read this book, I was offended when I heard that word too. But it's just a word. A benign combination of 4 little letters to which humans have added meaning. If a few humans gave it a specific meaning, then other humans can certainly give it a new meaning.

And yes, some of the items Ms. Muscio suggests in this book might seem bonkers to you. I know I can't see myself ever doing some of the things she suggests. But that's not the point. Take a step back and look at the big picture of what she's saying. Our bodies are nothing to be ashamed of. Our bodies deserve to be respected and loved. Respect, love, and protect yourself. Respect, love, and protect your fellow womankind. Rid your life of purposeless jealousy, cattiness, and suckass vibes towards other women. Invest in the women in your community -- spend your time to help single moms learn to read or find a job (and thus daycare); spend your time to teach young girls in your community that their bodies are nothing to be ashamed of; spend your money supporting local woman-owned and woman-positive businesses; give your money to organizations that teach girls self-esteem.

You might feel as if what you're doing is pointless and isn't making a dent in the overpowering sadness in the world. You're right that you're probably not making a huge dent. One person rarely does. But you are changing the world, if only in a small way. Join up with your friends, family, and others and put your heads together and make an even bigger dent. And besides -- how could you live with yourself if you just sat back and watched all this sadness and did nothing, absolutely nothing, to stop it?

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence  Expanded and Updated Second Edition