Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay Novel)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$12.24 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 10, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This is a cute, well written story that immediately drew me into Summer's life and adventures. The town of Black Dog Bay, where most of the book is set, is a fun place filled with some real characters!

I enjoyed every bit of this book and would recommend it for anyone looking for a chance to escape from normal life for a while. Great beach read or just an I want to curl up with a good book type of read.
Format: Kindle Edition
In CURE FOR THE COMMON BREAKUP, you won't be short on laughter, romance, or drama. All these make for a perfect book for you to tuck into your pool or beach bag this summer.

Summer Benson has the perfect life as a flight attendant. She can tour the world, live it up it in all the great cities, and fly to all the romantic cities with her handsome, pilot boyfriend. On a flight to Paris, Summer realizes Aaron plans to propose, but their future is halted by a disaster. Summer has nowhere to go and no family to take care of her, so she goes where a magazine article leads her....Black Dog Bay, Delaware.

Black Dog Bay has gotten its notoriety being the place women and men go when they need to get over a bad break-up. Marla at the Better Off Bed-And-Breakfast plays hard ball with cell phones and desperate phone calls and texts. Jenna at the Whinery makes a mean "Cure for the Common Breakup" drink and the bonus is that the recipe is included in the book. Hattie, the matriarch of Black Dog Bay is a force to reckon with and gives Summer a lot to think about. Of course, there has to be a male interest in the story, and Dutch Jansen plays that part well. He is the Mayor of Black Dog Bay and has a history that will impact everyone who lives there.

Beth Kendrick has written a fun, light-hearted, romantic, and hilarious novel that will be perfect for your summer beach read. Summer is sassy, spunky, and snarky and will no doubt keep you on your toes and keep you laughing. I loved all the characters and their role in Summer's healing.

An example of the great characters in the book and the scene Kendrick places you in is when Summer arrives at the Better Off Bed-And-Breakfast. Marla proceeds to take her cell phone right away as part of the requirement for staying there. Summer asks,"So this is like breakup boot camp?" Marla states, "Mm-hmmm. With homemade blueberry muffins for breakfast." There were so many great lines in the book that I couldn't possible write them all here, but you will want to remember some of the one-liners for your next drama filled situation.

What I liked about the story and the premise for Black Dog Bay is that is wasn't about getting revenge or being nasty, but about letting go and finding a new direction in your life and starting over. All of the characters had to do that at some point in their life and I think the reader can relate to one, if not many, of the characters in the book. I could have used a hide-away like this at a point in my life to reflect and rejuvenate and get some of my sass back.

The cover is definitely eye-catching, fun and scored big points with me. Seeing this on the shelf among other books will definitely draw your eye and make you pick up the book.

I also appreciated that there wasn't graphic details in the romance department. It left the imagination up to the reader which was just fine with me.

Pick up CURE FOR THE COMMON BREAKUP for a story full of sassy ladies that will rally around their new friend to give her a future she only dreamed she could have.
on May 8, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I had been looking forward to this book ever since finishing The Week Before the Wedding, where the character of Summer Benson is introduced. Summer is one hell of a charmer--charming and kind, with a habit of fearlessly tackling jerks and bullies the way we all wish we could but don't have the chutzpah for. Her adventures in Black Dog Bay are fresh and funny, and the whole town is populated with vividly drawn characters. Kendrick's writing is smart and delightfully witty throughout. A real winner!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2014
Format: Paperback
Beth Kendrick's latest book, Cure for the Common Breakup is a fast, easy, read that will have fans lining up to visit Black Dog Bay. The concept of this book was both original and entertaining. A town for the broken-hearted, complete with a wicked matron and a sexy mayor. Kendrick never disappoints when it comes to writing snappy fresh dialogue and creating characters that readers can identify with. Who hasn't had a broken heart at one time or another? Another great read from a master of women's fiction.

What I liked:

Beth Kendrick is one of those authors that just puts a smile on the face of her readers. When a reader sees one of her books coming out, they know what to expect... the unexpected. Kendrick has a knack for coming up with original ideas and concepts, but still keeping them close to a woman's heart. Most women have suffered a breakup or heartache sometime in their lives and the concept of a town especially for those suffering souls, was a brilliant idea. Kendrick takes her trademark skills with characterization and dialogue and brings Black Dog Bay to life.

This is a one of a kind setting, complete with a great cast of secondary characters and places and names that will stick in the readers head for a long time after the book is done. Setting the book in Delaware was something I didn't expect. I mean what do I know about Delaware, except that it's one of the smallest states in the union. That's about it. So a book set in that locale was original in itself. But Black Dog Bay was especially interesting. I loved The Whinery where the brokenhearted could drown their sorrows and the Ear Your Heart Out bakery where they could find all the chocolate they needed. It was creative and full of surprises, Kendrick really outdid herself with this one.

Summer is a character readers first met in Kendrick's previous book, The Week Before the Wedding. She was a real go-getter in that one and she hasn't changed much in the interim. She is a flight attendant that almost dies in a plane crash, who leaves her job and her ex behind and attempts to start over. She lands in Black Dog Bay and the town will never be the same. Summer had spunk, she was a great character who didn't take things lying down. It's what I sometimes call 'moxie'. She was just a joy to read about. Readers will love her attitude on life and they will be able to relate to her struggle. A great character!

There always has to be some kind of conflict or evil in a story to make it work. In this case the bad guy is actually a bad old lady. Hattie Huntington was a gem of a villain. She was old and set in her ways and she had her own master plan for Black Dog Bay and Summer played right into her hand. I thought Kendrick did a great job of creating a villain that was believable and understandable to some degree. The dialogue between Summer and Hattie is probably one my favorite things about this book. It was full of banter and snappy come backs. So much fun to read.

What I didn't like:

As with most books of this type there was a bit of predictability. Readers know that in the end Summer will get her happy-ever-after. But with this one it's all about the journey and the fact that heartache doesn't have to define you. I liked it more because I knew how it would go, than if I didn't.

Bottom Line:

This is women's fiction at it's best. Light, fun and full of humor. The girl gets the guy and the town was amazing. I think this is Kendrick's best book to date and readers couldn't find a more perfect summer beach read.
on October 14, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
When you hear people talking about the "perfect summer read," this is exactly the kind of book they're talking about.

Cure for the Common Breakup is the story of Summer, a flight attendant, who's trying to get a handle on her life after a terrifying plane crash and being dumped by her pilot boyfriend who just didn't love her enough. She runs to Black Dog Bay, a small town in Deleware, a town that's been put on the map as the best place to go after a breakup. What starts out as a few-week vacation away from her life, turns into something Summer never expected.

This is the perfect mix of humor, romance, and friendship. Beth Kendrick had a way of telling the story of this whole town, and it's cast of characters, in a way that kept the book engaging and light. Cure for the Common Breakup is a story of finding yourself when everything you knew disappears, and giving yourself permission to heal and move on.

The way Kendrick portrays Black Dog Bay makes you want to run away, reality be damned. I wanted so badly to jump into the pages of this book and hang out with its citizens. It's such a charming little town with hilarious, take-no-nonsense people who have the feel of a large family.

I loved this book. I read it in one sitting. It wan't suspenseful, or anything like that, but it kept me laughing and engaged enough to keep turning the pages.

Like I said, if you're looking for the quintessential summer read, this is most definitely it.

I received a complementary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This in no way shaped or influenced my opinion.
4.5 stars

Did I enjoy this book: I really enjoyed it. There were quite a few moments where I found myself laughing out loud, even though I was waiting for my son at the bus stop. (I probably had some strange looks from the neighbors. Maybe not, they have all seen me reading and walking or reading and waiting for the bus. They should know me by now. ;-) )

I love Summer’s wit, charm, and quick thinking. She cracked me up, especially how she handles the town snobs and entitleds. She is quick on her feet, and she can diffuse a potentially volatile situation quickly and effectively. I wanted her to find her happy ending even though she didn’t want one.

Dutch is the guy everyone wants, but no one can get. He seems like a great guy–sweet, romantic, nice. There’s more to him than just what he puts in front of the public. Hattie is lonely and bitter. She is a force to be reckoned with and everyone in town is afraid of her. Everyone except Summer. Hattie met her match in Summer, and their relationship was my favorite.

Cure for the Common Breakup is a great summer read. Lots of laughs. Lots of fun. Romance. This is a book that I will read again.

Would I recommend it: Yes! Grab a copy, head to your favorite reading spot, or the beach, or the pool, and have a good laugh!!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on May 20, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
The book is a classic case of abandoned female wronged by another dang man, but it is a great read, funny, irreverent, engaging, and I want to go visit Black Dog Bay, Delaware. I just told my granddaughter the legend of the black dog and she ran to google the map of Delaware looking for the charming
bed and breakfast where women come to recover from broken hearts. We all have our baggage and no one is perfect, but Beth Kendrick tells a good tale and made me laugh, commiserate, and enjoy her book. Okie Reading Specialist
on July 30, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Cure for the Common Breakup by Beth Kendrick is actually a sequel to a book called The Week Before the Wedding. If you have not read the previous book do not worry! The main character in this book is the best friend of the main character in the previous book. This book was a very entertaining book set in a small town named Black Dog Bay, Delaware. Black Dog Bay is a tourist town that many people choose to visit to escape from life. This book will make you chuckle to yourself and laugh out loud. You will really enjoy the main character Summer.

Summer Benson is a flight attendant that usually does not like to stay in one place for an extended period of time. Of course that changes throughout the book. Summer ends up in Black Dog Bay after surviving a plane crash. Before the crash, she found out that her boyfriend was going to propose and she was not exactly thrilled about this. After the crash the both of them reexamine their life and Summer takes off to Delaware alone. She becomes a big fan of the little town and the people in it. They become huge fans of her as well. Well, most of the local people end up liking her anyways. She ends up working (not by choice!) for town’s oldest resident, Hattie, who has a grudge against the whole town. Summer also starts to pursue Dutch Jansen who is the mayor.

Summer tries to find out why Hattie hates Black Dog Bay and why she particularly hates Dutch. Summer must also figure out if the people in Black Dog Bay are worth sticking around for even if it will be bad for the town. Kendrick has written an entertaining story that has some lessons of choosing to be happy and never settling for anything less than what will make you happy. Kendrick must also have a great sense of humor since all of her characters do as well. She also writes about what resentment and grudges can cost you if you hold onto them for too long. If you are looking for a book that will be a fun read with a little lesson in it, then you will enjoy this book. After reading this book you will want to find out more about the town and its residents!
on July 27, 2014
Format: Paperback
I found so many lines in this book that had me laughing out loud (to myself, no less) that I began to wonder whether Beth Kendrick moonlights as a stand-up comedienne. The book is anchored by main character Summer Benson who pays her bills by working as an international flight attendant who takes her job very seriously; the most important aspect of her job when we meet her is continuing her flirtatious romance with one of the airline pilots, Aaron. When one of her fellow flight attendants hassles her about the height of her heels as they prepare to serve customers, Summer replies, "The only thing more high-maintenance than the meal service is me. I refuse to be hobbled by a few plates of lettuce."

Due to unforeseen circumstances (don't want to spoil too much here!), Summer's romance with Aaron is abruptly cut short and she finds herself in a dilemma about where to direct her efforts and, as it turns out, her life. Summer decides to descend upon the small town of Black Dog Bay, Delaware, "where all the stores sell Ben & Jerry's and Kleenex."

In Black Dog Bay, Summer, maybe for the first time in her life, finds a way to connect with people authentically. Summer describes herself as always having been the "good-time girl. That was why people liked her. That was how she compensated for everything she lacked." She tenuously builds a relationship with a young, impressionable girl, Ingrid, who calls Summer her "mentor," and, in the process, garners the attention of Ingrid's brother, the mayor of Black Dog Bay.

Even though Summer wants to be able to cultivate a meaningful relationship with this man, she "was afraid that whatever she did, whatever he felt for her, it wouldn't be enough." This is a tale I could relate to and had me thinking that if I, like Summer, could have realized earlier in my life that other people valued me for who I was, rather than who I thought I should be, life may have been just a little easier to handle.

To say that this novel exceeded my expectations would be a huge understatement; beneath the cute quips and laughable antics of Summer and her Black Dog Bay pals lies a story that gets to the heart of one's struggle to define what they need to be authentically happy in their life. Kudos to Beth Kendrick...she's got another loyal fan. Now I've got to catch up and read some of her previous work, like The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service and The Week Before the Wedding.
on May 22, 2014
Format: Paperback
Um, can you say love? Because I loved this one.

Summer Benson, flight attendant extraordinaire, is your typical party girl who loves a good time and hates any kind of commitment, be it to a man or to a place. After a tragic accident though, Summer finds herself in a terrible place, feeling heartbroken and lost. Not knowing what else to do, she remembers seeing an ad for Black Dog Bay, a small tourist town in Delaware that caters to the heartbroken with places such as the Eat Your Heart Out Bakery and the Better Off Bed-and-Breakfast, and heads there right away. Almost immediately, Summer is accepted with open arms by the residents of the town, including Hattie Huntington, the most hated, evil old woman the town has ever seen. For the first time ever, Summer feels at home and doesn’t feel like running. She’s also possibly, maybe found love with a man she probably shouldn’t be falling for but she’s falling anyway, and life is looking up. Then Hattie, who is seeking revenge for a long ago wrongdoing, drops a bomb on Summer that may force her to lose everything she has only just started to find…

So. I really enjoyed this book and FLEW through it in a matter of days, which doesn’t happen all that often as I’m a fairly slow reader. I loved everything about it from the small town setting, to the vibrant cast of characters, to Summer’s witty one liners and hilarious attitude.

Black Dog Bay seems like an amazing place and I kind of wish it were real and that I lived there amongst the awesome locals (well, mostly awesome. Hattie was NOT so awesome). I love, love, love small towns and have always wished I lived in one because of the sense of community and kinship, and this fictional small town was no exception. It was full of sweet, little local businesses run by equally sweet people who welcomed Summer like an old friend. Despite her former wild, partying ways and globetrotting lifestyle, Summer quickly falls in love the town and its people, most notably with Dutch, the stern but uber hot mayor who needs a little more fun in his life. Once Summer manages to get under his skin, both of their lives start to improve for the better.

I loved the characters in this story. All of the heartbreak themed businesses were run by local women who seemed both like great friends AND a lot of fun. I would have loved to pull up a bar stool and join them in their frequent gossip sessions at the Whinery Bar. Summer was a fantastic character who really cracked me up and always had just the right thing to say in response to any of Hattie’s nasty quips. Hattie, on the other hand, was dreadful. She was very spiteful about something that had happened many years ago, and had since been torturing basically the whole town with her nasty demeanor and constant complaints. She and Summer tend to clash on most occasions, but when Hattie gives Summer an ultimatum that can destroy everything for both her and the entire town, she is torn about what to do.

I could go on but I’ll close this by saying if you like chick lit, women’s fiction, sweet stories, or funny stories, I’d highly recommend you check this one out. I’m already itching to read my next Beth Kendrick story!