5.0 out of 5 stars With apologies to Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"
...what we have here is "a little VERY LATE night music".

This is the CD you put in when the smoke already hangs thick in the air over a felt table and you're breaking the seal over your second bottle of Black Label Jack while playing poker/shooting pool with only your friends of more nefarious (and infinitely more enjoyable) means.

Less was never...
Published on July 26, 2005 by Johnny Sideburns

1.0 out of 5 stars bad pressing UNITED
Buyer beware i bought two of these musically great albums from Morphine unfortunately they are pressed at UNITED America's largest and so busiest vinyl pressing plant word is they have purchased an additional 16 presses for year end 2014 They are doing according to owner 30,000-40,000 pressings a day on the 22 original pressing machines they currently have long story...
Published 21 days ago by tony m.

5.0 out of 5 stars With apologies to Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik", July 26, 2005
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
...what we have here is "a little VERY LATE night music".

Less was never more than when the lights dimmed and the impossibly dark Mark Sandman slung a three (later two)-string bass over his shoulder and led a drummer and saxophonist and a conspicuously absent guitarist into the consciousness of all who dared to believe that a mutated jazz trio could rock as hard as any guitar-slinging grunge band of the era yet still retain the degree of untouchable hipster cool that acts like the Ben Folds Five could only begin to imagine for themselves.

Mark Sandman was the Bill Hicks of music; an antiestablishment innovator whose very existence challenged one's beliefs and dared the listener to question all that had previously been assumed as writ; that he died well before his time is all the more tragic, but there is no denying the genius of the artist and the power with which that genius comes across in this, one of the finest albums of the decade.

At just over 37 minutes in length (including two sub-two minute instrumentals which serve as intro and closing pieces), this CD seems to parallele Sandman's life; amazingly achieved and far too short. With tunes ranging from the semi-ambient ("In Spite Of Me", "I'm Free Now", "Let's Take Trip Together") to the raging aggressive ("Buena", "Thursday", "Mary Won't You Call My name") to all shades of night in-between ("All Wrong", "Candy", "Sheila"), there really isn't a weak link to be found. While the CD itself runs short, the songs are at the perfect length; most clock in at 3-3.5 minutes so that you are able to sufficiently groove with them before they become tiresome and repititious. This is songwriting craftsmanship and musical innovation at its highest form, definitely a must-have for any musical collection and the best direction I can recommend for anyone who wants to add a little "something different, something cool" to their listening enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cure for Pain - Song Noir, May 31, 2000
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
Boredom hurts, and Morphine is definitely the cure for pain; a smoky, dark band, Morphine weaves a sound that is not easily categorized as rock or blues. Instead, a drummer, saxophonist, and 2-string slide bassist/singer create something of a sensory deprivation-tank of sound, not unlike the pleasant stupor associated with their namesake drug, and in the process, invite us into a dark recess of sound.
The album is bold, driving, and dark, with blasting saxophone-riffs and sonorous bass. Mark Sandman's lyrics are deceptively simple, yet artfully performed, his voice a dark mournful bass. The saxophone is sometimes raw, sometimes polished, and I didn't know until I caught a concert, but sometimes the saxophonist plays TWO horns at once.
With this album, Morphine gives us some well-executed cuts, and is a great album as-a-whole. My favorite song on this album "In Spite of Me" is atypical of Morphine's style with Sandman singing in a half-whisper over a delicate mandolin-sound, but the rest of the album is enjoyable and delivers a potent dose of some really good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Band of the 90's, October 13, 1999
Hugh (Ponte Vedra Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
Since learning (from NPR) of Mark Sandman's untimely death in July I have purchased all 5 of Morphine's albums. They are all great with Cure for Pain and Like Swimming the best- by far. I listen to cable radio and alternative radio (such as it is in Jacksonville, FL), occasionally read Rolling Stone, and like to watch new music videos, but I was completely unaware of the existence of this great band. Its a shame that the music industry gives us a choice only among teen-oriented boy and girl bands, hip-hop / rap, and aging or dead artists. Morphine is (was) real rock & roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Soulful Sadness, February 2, 2003
Ludmila (Tallahassee, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
My ex-boyfriend and I were hanging out in our apartment when this CD came on the stereo. I had only heard of Morphine at that point, yet had never actually heard them. Ironically enough (or not), although I liked the album when I heard it the first few times, it wasn't until my breakup with the aforementioned ex-boyfriend that this album really gripped me, and when I finally realized its true genius. I was driving around with a friend, right after the break-up, when "Candy" came on. "Are you sure you want to hear this song right now?" she inqured. "Of course," I replied, in all of my self-torture, and even played "In Spite Of You" once or twice too, in between tears. This album is absolutely gorgeous, especially if you are suffering. (And if you're not suffering, then you'll be able to just enjoy its candid beauty, I'm sure). The title is more than appropriate for this collection of sad, soulful, and well, just plain gorgeous, songs. . . There is really no way to classify this album in one genre, but it is an outstanding combination of jazz, blues, and rock and roll. Musically, it is genius. Lyrically, as well. And every tune is heartfelt and poignant, and pulls right at those proverbial heart-strings, but never in a bitter or excessive way. . . This album is a remarkable companion to heartache/heartbreak, but is user-friendly enough that it can be listened to in almost any mood. Ironically enough, perhaps, it provides great background music to a romantic trist. Or even when you're hanging out alone in your pad, sipping a glass of wine, perhaps, and just wanting to hang out and be mellow. These guys have real and true talent, and every song is an emotional venture into the human psyche. And each song is exquisite, beautiful, intense. . . My faves are "A Head With Wings" (imagine the metaphorical possiblities!), "In Spite of Me" (a song which can surely make even the coldest heart melt), and "Sheila" (a song for all cat-lovers, as Shiela adores her cat so, and even "puts a spell on the cat, a beautiful cat. . . "). If you're looking into the mystique of Morphine, "Cure for Pain" is a wonderful way to start. . . this album is resplendent with wonder, and has the potential to make you feel wonderous. . . It has cast a sort of spell on my soul, and I hope that it can do the same for you. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars This band is so cool I bet Miles Davis would have dug them.., January 17, 2005
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
This band is so cool I bet Miles Davis would have dug them with their minimalist sound somehow sounding upbeat and downbeat simultaneously. They also had a completely original sound by basically utilizing just sax, drums and a 2 string slide bass. Few bands can claim such originality. I can't hear any influences with the possible exception of a little bit of The Doors (another trio that was missing a key rock instrument).

This was Morphine's second album...released in 1994. Every song is strong with my favorite tracks being "Buena", "Thursday" and "In Spite Of Me" which also includes a six string guitar. If you don't already have this, you should. RIP Mark Sandman

5.0 out of 5 stars Doing Amazing Things with less, March 24, 2002
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
I recently went out and bought some highly praised CDs, and out of all the ones I got, Morphine's "Cure For Pain" has made a believer of me. It's amazing what the trio accomplished by stripping away any extraneous sounds and given a raw but varied soundscape.
The music is smoky, eyes-closed pure and retro-cool. Dana Colley's baritone sax seems to be everywhere at once keeping up as an accompaniment and harmony to the vocals and then the next instance carrying on the burden of the slot usually filled by guitars. It's pretty mind-bendingly talented. Mark Sandman, who unfortunately never did quite discover a cure for pain to replace his drug use, sounds like a raw Chris Isaak. The drums and heavy slide bass lines are in lock step making the songs jump right along and making you forget that people even have a need for a lead guitar to make music come alive. When a rare guitar does appear on a song, it's a "Battle of Evermore" ala Led Zeppelin moment on track 7: "In Spite of Me" with Sandman's whispered husky voice making their music even more varied and beautiful
There is so much about this album that is rich, musically layered, and enjoyable that I'm sure I'll be wearing out my CD player with it. If you are an eclectic music fan, don't miss out on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, and may Mark Rest in Peace, January 3, 2000
Chris Pearson (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
In my opinion, this is my favorite of the five Morphine albums, with perhaps their best overall song writing and best recording engineering. Powerful and rockin', yet dark and brooding, and at times even introspective, this is a seminal album and a huge influence on my band. I wish more bands sounded as unique as Morphine and they will be sorely missed. If you dig Cure for Pain, check out Albuquerque's Venus Diablo, which has 2 discs on Amazon.com, and similar bass, sax, and baritone qualities. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Morphine album in February 2000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morphine chose an appropriate name, September 27, 2002
"richlatta" ("The War Zone" ABQ, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
You can't really go wrong with any Morphine album. This band was consistently wonderful. Great, laid-back lounge music yet far from anonymous. Easily identifiable from Sandman's peculiar lead bass lines and smokey voice as well as the brilliant sax fills, not to mention the on-the-mark drumming, too. They often add other instruments and sounds - sometimes it's pretty subtle.
But whenever I reach for a Morphine album (I have 5), I most often grab this one. I've listened to it over and over in my car and never get sick of it. I don't know why exactly, some records just stick to you. I personally relate to "I'm Free Now" and "Candy." "Cure for Pain" may be their best song ever and I definitely relate to that one too.
This is some smooooth, dreamy music, boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am addicted, March 22, 2000
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
A friend of mine recently turned me on to Morphine. They are unlike anyone else around. I only wish I would of found them sooner. This Cd is perfect "coffee music". It has a unique smokey jazzy feel. In just a few months I collected a portion of the Morphine catalog, and I have to say if you are just discovering the band "Cure for the Pain" is the place to start.

It's been several years since I wrote the above review. After several years I still come back to this CD every few months. It's one of the finest pieces in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Hook or by Crook, April 30, 2008
This review is from: Cure for Pain (Audio CD)
I first heard this in a wine store in Tucson, Arizona six months after Mark had died. It was a few minutes before closing on a Friday night and the then manager, Andy, who is a musician, had taken off the Frank Sinatra after the bosses left and put on Cure for the Pain. I immediately had to know what the music was. He had seen Morphine live and told me about Mark's death. Within the next week I bought this album and then all the other albums. The Night is my favorite and totally hooked me. For the past five years I have been researching Mark's biography and let me tell you, you have no idea. The guy was cooler than cool and led the most incredible life. Its such a beautiful sad story. Just like the music. One thing that most people don't get is that a lot of the songs have a second meaning - for example "I had my chance" is really about trying to make a left turn in L.A. "Let's take a trip" - think Owsley and 1965. He had a great sense of humor. If you are a true Morphine fan, get yourself hooked up with some live concert bootlegs. His patter is great, as is the poetry he sometimes inserted into a show. The albums were a sort of static rendition of the live Morphine. He had a band with Chris Ballew (before Chris formed The Presidents of the United States of America) in Cambrige that was called Supergroup and they made everything up on the spot. Before the show they would have a beer and come up with song titles and then invent the songs on stage before a live audience at the Plough & Stars. Oh and also, number one misunderstanding, the name Morphine comes from Morpheus the god of dreams not the drug. Its a play on Sandman's name and that ditty, "Mister Sandman, bring me a dream..." First you come up with the name. Then you get the beat of the day....

Cure for Pain
Cure for Pain by Morphine (Audio CD - 1993)