Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

83%
17%
Format: HardcoverChange

on October 1, 2012
As a middle-aged Southern Anglo Saxon Protestant female with rural Appalachian roots, it took a few chapters for me to identify with a 13-year-old Jewish boy preparing for his bar mitzvah in New York City. But once the connection was made, I had to find out what happened to Sammy Levitt. Author Cliff Graubart had me alternately in tears and laughing out loud on an airplane, especially that last chapter. I could have read more about Sammy Levitt, but then I might have missed the poignancy of "Who Cries for Aaron," or a theater owner's memorable guidance to a budding writer in "Innocence off Broadway." "The Curious Vision of Sammy Levitt and Other Stories" is an impressive first novel from a talented author with universal messages to convey beyond the American Jewish experience. The conquering of fears and fulfilling of lifelong promises are common themes that should be a matter of curiosity from the perspective of many an inquiring mind.
on November 21, 2012
With "The Curious Vision of Sammy Levitt," author Cliff Graubart has artfully captured a time and place in his resonant title novella and the delightful stories that follow. While particular to New York City in the 1950s, the collection explores universal themes of adolescence, identity, family relationships and coming of age, presenting issues that continue to inform contemporary life. Graubart has a great ear for dialogue as he introduces vivid characters who live on long after the final story is read. From laugh-out-loud humor to heart-wrenching pathos, the author brings us along on a journey that ends too quickly, leaving us yearning for more. A terrific, page-turning read, highly recommended!
on November 6, 2012
The title-story is a warming and heartfelt piece of work and the last tale in the book is truly poignant. I bought 3 copies to give to friends, and I recommend you do the same, at least.
on January 2, 2013
This is Mr. Graubart's first book. I surely hope he continues to beguile us with his wit and authentic sense of the human condition. Loved it! Looking forward to the next one. Lewis
on November 23, 2013
The Curious Vision of Sammy Levitt and other stories by Cliff Graubart
Enter into the world of New York City the time is the 1950’s and the location is upper Manhattan exactly in Washington Heights. For about 140 pages a tale is spun with great humor and observation through the eyes of Sammy Levitt. He is a 13 year old boy and does he carry us on an adventure. On page 107 in conversation with his Dad ”So how could there be a Depression with all theses big buildings?” Sammy asked.“Well,its hard to explain, but a depression doesn’t come about because of the buildings you have. It comes about when trust in one another breaks down or confidence in the economy is shaken” What a kind way to explain and to write about this relationship.
Then we have 5 short stories to complete the book. Each of the five is really refreshing to read. My favorite is Innocence off Broadway, followed by Who Cries for Aaron. Enjoy reading this book and see Mr. Graubarts writing style develop and show such flowering. Congratulations on a fine first book!
on May 15, 2013
Having lived in NYC, I could relate to Sammy's life as a young person. The dtails in this book brought me back to the Big Apple where I lived for many years. Very vivid descriptions of life in NYC.