* LaFlesh, who maintains the popular web site tightlycurly.com, has resplendent, long curls on the cover of this informative and inspiring book for people whose hair texture is tightly curled or coiled. But as her photographic hair journey depicts, this was not always the case. She discusses the damaging hair-styling practices that she used in her quest for manageable hair, sprinkling her book with humorous anecdotes. Through research and trial and error, LaFlesh discovered a hair-care regime that works with her natural curliness, and the result is beautiful, healthy hair. She offers readers practical advice on proper tools, products, and styling techniques, avoiding caustic chemicals and heat. LaFlesh's tips on styling biracial children's hair will be a godsend to their parents. There is also a technical section on hair structure. VERDICT The styling methods may not work for everyone, given the variance of textured hair, but this good introduction to holistic hair care will be embraced by the novice as well as the hair obsessed. Pair it with Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me for a well-rounded beauty and grooming collection.—Ajoke Kokodoko, Oakland P.L. (Library Journal, May 1, 2010)
From the Back Cover
"Curly Like Me made me laugh, with and at my hair. It allowed me to secretly cry over a childhood spent wondering, 'why won't my curls behave, or my hair wave in the wind.' Today I embrace my texture, the unique perk of being biracial, and live for 'natural is the only way to go.' Thank you, Teri, for your book, which every girl of color with curly hair who has spent years with hot combs, chemicals, and frizz, should read."
, author of Jokes My Father Never Taught Me: Life, Love, and Loss with Richard Pryor
and winner of the NAACP Theatre Award
"Curly Like Me is down-to-earth, fun to read, and chock-full of useful information for curly girls everywhere. Kudos to Teri LaFlesh for showing the world that curly hair can be a blessing, not a burden."
—Lori Tharps, author of Kinky Gazpacho and coauthor of Hair Story
"A great hair guide for coily heads that is easy to read, fun, relatable, understandable, and full of tips and advice that will make living with humid-sensitive hair enjoyable."
—Mireille Liong-A-Kong, founder of Going-Natural.com and author of Going Natural: How to Fall in Love with Nappy Hair
"You'll read this excellent how-to guide to get Teri's envious beautiful curls, but you'll love this book because you'll have Teri's gentle and endearing voice in your ear for a journey to acceptance of your curly-haired self!"
—Heidi W. Durrow, author of The Girl Who Fell from the Sky and co-host of Mixed Chicks Chat
Very curly hair isn't like any other type of hair—and it requires totally different care.
Curly Like Me is the off-the-grid, do-it-yourself owner's manual for tightly curly hair. Discover the techniques you need to celebrate your curly hair—not fight against it. In this book, you will learn not only how to care for your curls but to cherish them, while saving you time, effort, and money.
- How to wear your curls in your own natural curl pattern
- The best products, tools, and ingredients for curly hair
- How to understand your hair—a guide to curly hair structure and behavior
- More than 250 photos and illustrations
- A special chapter on pain-free curly hair care for kids
Let Curly Like Me empower you to take charge of your hair so you can embrace your beautiful curls and set them free.