4.0 out of 5 stars Decent entry-level electric bike, but not at this price
I got mine from eBay for $560, including shipping. I'm pretty happy with it, and use it for my daily commute to/from work (10 miles round trip).

On flats the bike maintains about 15mph, but on the hills you have to help it. The range is about 14 miles without pedaling.

Published on August 2, 2011 by Aleko Petkov

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a folding electric bike.
I've had this for months now I've been riding it at least 2-3 times a week. The bike has been running fine for months now and I haven't had any need for repair on it. This requires some assembly when you first receive it but its not difficult. This is my first electric bike and it's okay for the price I bought it for about $570.

I commute to work and back with...
Published on December 28, 2010 by A G

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a folding electric bike., December 28, 2010
This review is from: Currie Technologies iZIP Hybrid Via Mezza Electric Bicycle (Sports)

I commute to work and back with this thing at a distance of 14 miles total. It goes at 15 mph top speed, but begins to lose speed 10 miles or so into the ride. I read that the speed limit on electric bikes are about 20 mph. I wish they made their bikes cap around that speed. Also, pedaling on this thing is hard.

Overall, its a nice bike for short distances and its great for storing in the back of cars.

*****************Update 4/11/2012***********
So, I've had this bike for more than an year now. Today my rear tire finally gave out from almost daily (4 days/week) commute to my college about 4-6 miles total. I realized that the spokes on the rear tire are also broken. About three of the spokes are completely broken and the rest are about to break.

Now that I've owned this bike for long enough, I can say that the bike was only okay. If I had a chance to get another bike I would get a full sized electric bike that I can actually pedal. And a bike that can actually handle my reckless riding. I also noticed currie technology discontinued the Mezza series recently(I saw it still there a few months ago).

Currently, I'm thinking of building my own electric bike from the parts of the Mezza and refurbish this one into a regular folding bike.

Oh yeah and I've downgraded this from 4 to 3 stars. My first review around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, NOT worth the price., November 9, 2010
While it was working, this bike got me around town more or less the way I needed. Then I started having problems with the chain locking up or falling off the gear. Just the other day, after only two months of use, the chain problem has effectively killed the bike. The chain locked so tight that it bent the rear axle and now it won't even move under the battery power.

When you have the battery charged and everything is working properly, it could be fun. You get where you need to without having to exert yourself too much, which is nice if you're not in the habit of changing in and out of riding gear. Again, when it worked, there were positive things about the bike. Ultimately, the experience has been negative.

Despite any of the companies claims, this is not a good option for a serious commuter. If you're in an area that's remotely bigger than a suburb, this bike will not cut it. I'm not in a big city by any means but apparently its too much for this bike to handle. Despite the fact that federal standards allow for electric bikes to go 20 miles per hour, they cap this bike at 15mph. You can pedal to gain speed, but the bike fights you. Honestly if the quality of the bike wasn't so tremendously awful I'd recommend it to serious cyclists as great resistance training. After about a week on this thing I was getting some serious leg muscles. In fact, I might have started peddling more than the bike could keep up with. Which brings me to another problem, no matter how hard you pedal, it doesn't give you enough of an edge in traffic. You'll pass by most cyclists on a full charge, which is good, but it's still hard work to get out of the way of cars.

For a while the motor was the saving grace of this bike. Because the pedal and chain aren't directly related to the motor, I'd have the ability to ride without peddling or at least keep riding until I could get to a safe spot to fix it. I figured even if it's not that great a bike, I'd just stop trying with the pedals and just use the motor power. Unfortunately, this idea came too late. The bike basically killed itself.

Bottom line, this is a cheap folding bike with an okay electric motor. It was overpriced even at Amazon prices. And for it to only last two months of basic commuting, is ridiculous. I'm looking through my information now to see what kind of warranty I might have, but I felt like I had to say something.

If you're thinking about getting this, give it a second thought. If you want this bike for the motor, a used gas scooter from a local dealer or craigslist won't cost too much more and is still a lot better than a car if you're concerned about being green. If you want this for the bike, just buy a regular bike, there a lot of good cheap bikes on Amazon.

The IZIP is just a mediocre product.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent commuting bike with noticeable flaws, August 3, 2011
Before I start the review, I need to say now, have your front tire trued at a local bike shop BEFORE the first time you ride the bike. Throw the battery on the charger and let it sit for 6-8 hours, and have your tire trued sometime during that (it only takes a few minutes, and cost me 15 dollars). Also, I should note that when I bought this bike, it was about $300. Would I pay full price for it though? Eehhh, probably not. If you absolutely need a collapsible bike, than you can't go wrong here, but honestly you may be better off with the Currie Technologies eZip Men's Trailz Electric Bicycle. It's a full sized bike, and can handle far more than the Via Mezza can.

Assembly can be a bit difficult. The tools and instructions that arrived with the bike were...nice, but useless. The assembly instructions were so washed out I could not see the images, or read the text (these instructions were sent by the shop that shipped my bike, so thanks to them for trying). The included tools didn't fit a single thing. Still, it was nice of them to even send them at all.

The Currie Via Mezza is a decent commuter bike. I've had it for about 2 and a half months now, and it has saved me a considerable amount on gas (except when it's raining, then it's back to the car). The folding design is fantastic. When my car needed work, I was able to throw the bike in my car and bring it with me, since the distance from the garage to my house was too far to walk. I have gotten used to the BMX style pedal system, as this bike only uses one gear. You won't get much speed by pedaling, as you would look like a cartoon character running in the air before falling. However, with the electric assist, you can get pretty far. Just don't expect to get there fast.

This bike is NOT meant for hard riding. You can only use it on sidewalks and paved streets. The size of the tires, and the weight all being in the back, makes it somewhat nerve racking to ride even over small debris. I'm not kidding when I say all of your weight is in the back of the bike. You can pop the front tire into the air with almost no effort. The lack of suspension also can be a real issue, since I live in Michigan. Our roads are notorious for being in constant disrepair. You will feel every tiny bump, and hearing the battery pack jostle around at every minor jolt can be a bit worrying. I would suggest finding some thin cloth to set under the battery to absorb the shocks. As I said at the beginning, TRUE THE FRONT TIRE UPON ASSEMBLY!! My front tire is in horrid condition. It wobbles noticeably. It is bad enough that it affects the direction I am going. Had I trued it immediately, it would have alleviated the issue. being able to feel your bike jerk left or right because of tire wobble is never good.

Something else to note: DONT'T WEAR BAGGY PANTS! Because of the design, there are plenty of places for your cloths to get hung up on. Small bolts, an open chain, more small bolts...I've had my pants get caught in all of them. I will need to make a better chain guard myself, and some sort of cap system for protruding bolts and the like. You will either need to fabricate something to prevent this, or else bring tape/rubber bands/something to tie off the bottom of your pants if you wear something longer than shorts.

For the current price of $760, I would avoid the Via Mezza. It's only advantage is being a collapsible bike. It isn't too bad of a bike, but a full size bike would be better for most people. In fact, I'm considering selling this at a minor loss to buy the larger electric offered by Currie. For $300, it's a meh bike with noticeable faults. At $700+, it's a rip-off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent entry-level electric bike, but not at this price, August 2, 2011

My main complaints are the lack of gears, and low speed. The single gear makes pedaling useless above 10mph, so you end up relying exclusively on the battery. Unassisted pedaling is quite hard - don't let the battery die.

+ Cheap ($500 on ebay)
+ Fun
+ Adequate for commuting
+ Folds into compact volume

- No gears
- Low(ish) top speed (15mph), and low gearing means you can't help it by pedaling
- Hard ride, no rear suspension
- Long recharge times (8-10hrs)
- Heavy

Bottom line: If you can find one at $500, get it. Otherwise, there are better options at the $800 level.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost a piece of junk - continual problems - shipped broken missing pieces, pieces break easily, February 13, 2012
It was $550 when I bought it. Now it's more expensive. It came when a few broken pieces and missing pieces, so I had to have the company ship those, after I got it. Then the casing for the plug broke when I plugged the cord into the batter (the plug casing would just push into the battery), so I had to pull it out, hold it, and plug the cord into the casing which was broken off from the pieces that were actually screwed into the case of the battery. Parts of the brake also wouldn't work / broken, too, I found out. I called the company and they sent me new brake parts and a whole new battery, even though all I needed was the little plastic plug casing from the old one. I thought, "cool, now I have two batteries". I had ridden it a few times, and it went slower than I had expected - about 4mph on flat ground - and almost did not climb hills at all. Also, the motor doesn't "freewheel" at all, so peddling generally actually slows you down, if that makes sense - that is except when you're climbing a hill, the peddles are for once useful (and necessary) - you can feel the motor "assisting you" during the hill climb, but I think without peddles on a mild grade you'd go about 0.5mph.

The tires are cheap cheap cheap. I've had continual problems with them, and have had to have them repaired multiple times. (I've only used the bike like 4 times, and by no way in any extreme manner).

And now, the motor barely works. It doesn't have enough torque to make the weight of the bike move at all, although it will spin the wheel when the wheel is lifted up off the ground.

I'd give the company about 2/5 stars on helpfulness. They were fairly helpful at first, but it's hard to catch them during business hours. And last time I called they actually hung up on me without warning at 4:00pm, their closing time.

For $550 I got a folding bike, two batteries, and a P.O.S. motor. I still need to call them to have them help me fix it. They mentioned the controller while on the phone to them one time, so maybe it's an easy fix? I don't know. That's just where I'm at right now. I've had the bike for almost a year, and I've ridden it, I think 4 times?

I mean, I don't know. I found a bike that was claimed to go 30 miles on a charge and up to 20mph for $1100 - it was the mountain bike style and not this folding bike - and now I think I'd rather have gone with that. Also, I no longer live in a metropolitan area where everything is within a couple of miles. The bike was cool for that.

Also, I never rode it to my college because obviously the components would be stolen if left unattended. You would need a safe place to put it where-ever you go. The battery just slides out - there's no locking mechanism or anything. The rest can be pretty easily disassembled.

Rate and Discover Movies