5.0 out of 5 stars o/~ "I rode my bike past your window last night."
I absolutely love this bicycle. As a child, I rode my bicycle everywhere. Now, as an adult, I wanted a bicycle again to get more exercise and to enjoy being outdoors. My concerns were the hills in my area and also that I feel so out of shape. This bicycle was the perfect solution.

First, a negative: It's very heavy. The batteries are heavy too...
Published on May 20, 2012 by Kathleen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but heavy bike
The bike was delivered fast, and in good order. Assembling was pretty straight forward.
Charged the battery with a neat little charger overnight, and bingo all was ready to go, and it worked fine.
Battery can be either locked on the bike, or removed easily, to take inside. It's a nice package - just right.
I wanted a bike for my wife, (retired) as we have...
Published on September 27, 2012 by Sam B

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but heavy bike, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Currie Technologies eZip Women's Low Step-Thru Trailz Electric Bicycle (Sports)
I wanted a bike for my wife, (retired) as we have steep hills, and for short trips to the library, community center etc, taking the car was not always ideal.

She has been delighted with her first trials, it "zooms" her up the hill no problem. for me, over 220 lbs, it goes well, but I need to pedal up hill, and the 7 gear shift system works OK.

On the pro side:

- Price seems excellent. I definitely did not want to spend 1000$ let alone up to 4000+. What on earth do they put to hike the price that high.
This bike was just rightly priced.

- The motor power is great. Most bikes are 250 watts, this has 450 watts, a clear advantage for our hills.
AND has a dual powering system, being TAG - a Twist and Go, which is like a throttle, and you adjust the power by more or less twist on the handle bar. The 2nds system is PAG, for Pedal and Go, where the power steps in a second or so after you start peddling, and you feel a nice and quite powerful "push" from the motor. The TAG gives you the full 450 watts when fully "Twisted" and apparently the PaG give you half power.
Mind you the half power is what other expensive bikes have, and some dont have the TAG option. I like this bike.

- The Battery is a cheap lead acid, not the expensive Lithium sort (Lithium by the way costs about the same as the full bike and battery put together, and with less power capacity!) which is fine. The lead acid battery is somewhat heavy (16 lbs 7 kgs).
A nice option, is that there is place for 2 batteries, so that you can double the distance, if thats what you want. No hassle, just order the 2nd battery and plug in the other side, all is ready.

- It even has a front "suspension". Not too sure why for a city bike.

- It seems very strongly built, simple, but strong, has the minimum required, and gets you around (at good speed!) I added front and back lights, as well as a basket in front, plus mud-guards, as my wife would definitely not be pleased to get soaked, if it rained, with the wheels showering up at her. Why the supplier did not add these cheap mud guards, or a basic tyre pump is somewhat a question, but it is a cheap bike.

On the Negative side:

- The weight is huge. this is a very heavy bike, and it's not just the battery. Big wheels, tires, huge frame, suspension plus the motor and battery - it weighs a ton ( 35 kgs/ 70lb or so). No way can my wife lift the back wheel off the ground. No going up stairs for sure. Why ? Even to get into the back of the car will require some strong arms and effort.
But you can say, well if the motor pushes you, no problem - agreed. but be warned, if you live on the 2nd floor or higher and need to take the bike up, forget it.( not my case fortunately) Also if you go further than the battery limit, pedaling will be tough.

- my second gripe is the owner's manual: Who ever wrote this? it is the most confusing manual I have ever seen. First,1 manual for about 7 different bikes, and it's all mixed up, quite detailed (which I like) But you are not sure which bike you are referring to.
The The assembly instruction come at page- 59 ! logical ??. Worse, they give misguided info on the batteries ( page 42-43. On page 42 they say immediately re-charge the battery after use. Correct, lead acid batteries dont like being discharged in full, or being left discharged.
Then they say "do I need to break in my batteries ?" yes! what? thats the best way to ruin a lead acid battery. I hope the manufacturer- retailer sees this, and produces I manual for each type of bike, and make a clear distinction between battery types.

The twist control ring is quite small, so it's just the thumb and first finger which are involved. That could become tiring after a while, or if you have some rheumatism. Why not a full handle grip for the power? (which by the way goes the wrong way, you twist away from you to go forward!)

I'll put 4- star if they correct the manuals - and taken off 1 star or a bit more for the weight. Surely they could have a lighter bike, and saved costs at the same time! I am not looking for a super light bike, but 25-28 kgs, without battery is somewhat exceptional.

- on a lesser side, It was a bit of a bother to have to go get a pump for the tires, and mud guards + lights. I also had to go back and ask for the battery terminal cover, which they mention but did not supply. a bit mean ! But maybe I am being difficult, as with a low cost bike, cant have it all, and these items dont cost much.
I ordered separately a helmet and locking device with my order, which I expected.

I'll come back if I have problems after some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars o/~ "I rode my bike past your window last night.", May 20, 2012

First, a negative: It's very heavy. The batteries are heavy too.

Now the positives: It's so easy to ride. On a flat surface, I can peddle all day. No straining or discomfort. When I go up the hills, I can peddle until I feel it is too hard to do, then switch to peddle assist or simply use the throttle. The heaviness of the bike feels secure to me when I am riding.

I do wish that I could adjust the speed of the peddle assist. I feel that it moves me along too fast when I am riding with friends who are moving under their own power. It gets me around easily from the first day. I was fortunate to have someone assemble it for me as I think it was beyond my abilities to do.

The batteries lock in place for when I wish to stop and get a soda or dash inside somewhere.

The fun it has brought to me makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again with my new toy. And I feel confident riding it anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars upgraded battery to lipo, May 4, 2013
I am a male in his 30s i purchased this bike at pepboys on clearance for $300. The bike looks like a unisex bike. My battery only lasted a month. I guess from sitting in the store for so long. Well i looked into getting a lithium battery but they were all just a little too speep for me. Then i came across a web site called endless-sphere.com an ebike site, and saw that i can use rc lipo batteries on the ezip. So i went to a web site called hobbyking.com and found a 22.2v 5000mah or 5ah lipo the brand was turnigy. The battery was only $50 bucks and i had to buy a special charger for it. I found one on ebay called imax b6 only $27 and $9 for a power suppy for the charger. I had to look at youtube videos on how to put the battery connectors on the battery and one on the ezip. I got the battery on with not to much trouble and went for a ride. All i can say is i will never go back to that big heavy lead battery again. The lipo gave constant power through out the ride. I rode 4 miles all peddal assist to work and 4 back with two hills the bike rode with no power loss. I didnt even charge at work. The 22.2v battery charges all the way up to 25.2v and it dosent take 8 hours like that lead battery. It only takes about an hour if you set it on 5amp charge. I use only 1 amp to charge because it balances the battery better. And i will definitely be ordering 2 more of these batteries and im going to wire them in parallel. That would give me 22.2v 15ah. Oh yeah. Hobbyking even has a 22.2v 8000mah and a 10000mah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheeeee!, January 29, 2013
I want to give this bike four stars because the instruction booklet is so schizoprenic that I don't know what bike model it's refering to, and worse yet, which battery. However, my fingers want to give it at least ten stars because it's so much fun! I am a baby boomer fifty something that sold her bike twenty five years ago after moving into a very hilly neighborhood. I only looked into possibly getting another bike to ride with my bff, whose husband gave her a three speed cruiser for Christmas. I already knew the hills dampen my enthusiasm, so imagine my delight when I found this bike.

Pros:
Some people found the weight to be heavy. Although not light, I had no problems removing it from the shipping box, maneuvering it for assembly (did have a second pair of hands to help me flip it.) Took up another reviewers suggestion to look up the assembly directions on youtube. Very easy to follow, versus the wacko booklet. I didn't time it, but it took less than an hour. It feels substantial while riding.

Others felt the 20ish pound battery made the bike off balance. I haven't noticed a problem at all while I am riding. You do have to watch how you park it with the kick stand, as the extra weight could make it fall.

I WANT to ride the bike because now the steep hills are a non-issue. Along with peddling, the motor gives me just enough umph to make it up long steep hills. Have had no problem with running out of battery juice.

Cons:
My bike was obviously a return and did have some scratches. They did send touch-up paint. Although disappointed, because I am picky, I was so excited to received it (BTW, sss takes forever...Amazon waited six days until they even shipped it and I am still waiting for the bike accessories I ordered on the same day...12 days later...nothing yet...grrr)

The instruction booklet jumps around to different bikes, different throttle systems, different batteries. Not straightforward at all.
Skip it and go to youtube for the instructions...much easier to follow.

Agreeing with another reviewer, the booklet leads one to believe you should drain the battery three times to "condition it" but that reduces the life of the acid battery. I would have done that too, if I hadn't read the review and did some investigation on my own. I think that may be why some buyers were unhappy with the performance of their battery.

All in all, this bike is such fun. I just added a basket I bought from ebay (could have ordered the same through Amazon but wasn't interested in waiting, waiting, waiting for shipping. Will be toting my little dog around in it today, for even more fun.

Go out and enjoy the ride!

Update: I am having so much fun with this bike! The few problems I've had were remedied by rereading the instruction booklet. I WANT to get out and ride it. Some days I even go on two rides!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Is A Great Value For My Family's Intended Use, May 3, 2013
Bike Report

Month Purchased: January 2013

Purchase Price: $379.00

Packaging, Shipping, Receipt: The bike was received in a timely manner with no damage visible on the package.

Assembly: I easily unpacked the bike utilizing only half the floor space of my two car garage, and assembled it in less than 90 minutes.

Quality: Although I purchased the bike for my wife, I assembled it myself and took it out on three test runs of about 15 miles each. I live near the coast on mostly flat land. The bike appears to be sturdily built and should offer years of trouble free enjoyment. Whether riding the bike in the (1) regular bike, (2) PAS, or (3) TAG mode the 7 speed shifter operates smoothly. And the brakes were adjusted to provide a comfortable and commanding stop. I feel confident that my wife will enjoy this bike when the weather warms.

Transportability: I used my bathroom scale to determine the approximate total weight and weight distribution carried by each wheel in the following configurations: (1) Bike without seat and without battery installed - front wheel load was 16 pounds, rear wheel load was 29 pounds, total weight 45 pounds; (2) Bike with seat and with battery installed - front wheel load was 17 pounds, rear wheel load was 46 pounds, total weight 63 pounds; (3) the battery alone weighs approximately 13 to 15 pounds. I transported the bike around town with it lying down in the back of my pickup truck and found the derailleur guard to be very useful in protecting the chain and gear shifter from damage. Although I could easily lift the bike in and out of my truck alone, you may find a two person lift helpful. If you require two people to lift the bike, try removing the seat and battery before lifting the bicycle. In doing so, the person lifting the handle bar end will only need to lift about 17 pounds and the person lifting the rear carrier end will need to lift about 29 pounds.

Added Comments: Because I did not want my wife to have any excuses for not enjoying riding the bike with me, I made a small but "significant" modification by replacing the rigid seat post with (1) a 27.2 mm diameter M-Wave Alloy Bicycle Suspension Seat Post, combined with (2) a Problem Solvers Shim #STO214... the ride is now nearly as soft as sitting on a pillow (smile).

Rating: For my family's purpose, I rate this bike a 5 of 5, as I do not believe there is an electric bike on the market with the same quality and technology for the price I paid.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME EBIKE FOR A MODERATE PRICE, June 26, 2013
MoonTiger (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
UPDATE 2 JULY 2013:

I've been riding this ebike for a week now, and I'm still loving it. I must be getting a little stronger, because I am pedaling more (at least on flat ground) without any motor assist. When I start feeling tired, I use the PAS (pedal assist) mode. Sometimes I use the throttle to help me get up the hills.

I received and installed my new Sunlite C-9 Comfort saddle, and it has made a HUGE difference in my biking comfort.

So far my only issue was learning to use the seat quick release properly. This was definitely user error and not any defect in the bike itself. So if you are having trouble with the seat not staying securely where you put it, I suggest you go to Youtube and watch some quick-release videos that explain how to use it properly. Like I said, this was definitely me and not any flaw of the bike.

Happy Trailz!

ORIGINAL REVIEW 26 JUNE 2013:

TERRIFIC VALUE FOR ENTRY LEVEL EBIKE

First of all, I would like to thank all the reviewers who took the time to post their reviews of this ebike. It really assisted me in making my decision to purchase. I had also considered just getting a regular bike, but I didn't think I had the strength or stamina for a regular bike.

I received my Ezip Trailz ebike (step-through model) the day before yesterday (25 June 2013), and so far I am really impressed even though I've had a few issues with it.

I received the bike in 2 days thanks to my Prime membership (thank you, Amazon). I met the UPS driver and helped him remove it from the truck to my front patio. The box was BIG and weighed approximately 70 pounds, so be prepared.

The box arrived with only one small hole in the top of it, and everything was really packaged well with styrofoam blocks and lots of plastic wrap. It took me about 20-30 minutes to get everything out of the box and moved to my back yard patio for assembly. It only took me about 15 minutes to totally assemble the bike. I'm a woman in my 60s with serious health issues that have resulted in chronic fatigue with loss of muscle strength and loss of stamina. So if I can unbox and assemble this ebike, then anybody can.

The bike comes about 80-85% assembled. All you have to do is attach the front stem post, handlebars and seat post (seat already attached to it), then turn it upside down and attach the front wheel and front brake. Easy peasy for the most part. I had purchased a multi-function bike tool set for the job, but the box did contain an allen key and a wrench (poor quality but probably good enough to get the job done if you don't have any tools of your own).

Here are the negative issues I had:

First of all, the front brake cable was too short to reach the brake noodle/boot assembly (in front of the fork) to attach. Even after I loosened the screw and pulled the excess cable through, it still wouldn't reach. The cable had been wound around the frame and handlebar several times and secured with zip ties. I had to cut a couple of the zip ties to release it. I unwound it from the bike and then reinserted it into the handlebar brake assembly and reattached it using a more direct path from the front wheel to the handlebar.

The second negative issue was the front tire. I couldn't get air to pump into it. I really got frustrated with this - the rear tire aired up without any problem. There was some kind of obstruction either in the valve or just behind it. I removed the valve core completely and as gently as I could pierced it with a nail until I cleared the obstruction. I don't know what the obstruction was, but I managed to clear it. I finally got the tire pumped up, and all was well. But this was really time-consuming and very frustrating. So just be warned, you may have some minor "tweaks" to perform before you can actually ride.

So with these issues, why do I think this bike deserves 4 stars? Because it's solidly built and well worth the money considering that most ebikes start at around $1500 and go up from there.

I wanted an ebike to assist me because I tire so easily. This bike does that. I wanted to get some exercise to help me recover the strength I've lost due to illness. This bike does that. I wanted to feel independent again since I haven't had a car for the last 2 years, and this bike does that.

I've put about 30 miles on it in 2 days, and I love it. It's fun, and it's easy to ride. Be sure to lock the battery down; otherwise it will severely bounce in the rack. Learned that the hard way. I don't care for the seat, and I've ordered a Sunlite C-9 comfort seat to take its place. The Shimano rear derailleur works great.

I've used all 3 modes on this bike -- pedaling only, pedal assist, and twist-and-go (throttle). Pedaling alone without any motor assist is really hard for me; this bike is heavy. But even in my weakened state, I could do it for a little while. I use the pedal assist mode most of the time. I found that using the throttle helped me get up some pretty steep hills. Today I got the bike up to 19 mph going downhill, and about 17 mph on flat pavement.

Except for the two negative issues I had with the assembly, I've had no other problems. The wheels were true and all the spokes were without any damage or problems. The chain did not require any tightening. The brakes needed only minor adjustment. Most of the adjustments you'll need to make will be for your personal preference and comfort.

Like I said, this bike gets 4 stars from me. Compared to other ebikes, it was inexpensive. I plan to eventually get another battery to extend the range. I added a few toys to my new bike - front and rear lights, horn, bicycle computer, left-side mirror, and I've attached my fanny pack to the seat post pending arrival of the seat bag I've ordered. I plan to slime the tubes this week-end.

I forgot to mention the tires; they are 26" x 1.95". I like the wider surface for better traction. They are not mountain tires exactly, but they do have some knobby bits on the outer part of the tire which really helps with poor road conditions. I imagine this bike could probably be easily ridden on dirt or gravel, but I haven't tried that yet. This is not a bike for racing; it's more for casual cruising.

I'm lucky to live in an area that has many, many bike trails and paths, and I plan to start exploring them soon. I'm sure I look a little funny going down the road. If you see an older lady with a blue football (ummm .... helmet) on her head wearing black driving gloves who has a blonde ponytail flying straight out the back and a big smile on her face cruising around the neighborhood in Lakewood, Colorado, just honk and wave. It's probably me. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get it Wet!, July 31, 2013
After reading every review out there I purchased this bike from Amazon. It arrived in 2 days. Packaged well. Assembly was reasonably easy but I paid $20 at the local bike shop to check the breaks and adjust the shifter. HAVE bike grease on hand for assembly. It is indeed heavy and what you would expect from the least expensive electric bike you can find. I live in the mountains and bought it to commute up steep hills. The motor struggles with the steepest hills but gets you there eventually.

Beware: The manual says and the company confirms "Don't get it wet". This is a big drawback for a commuter bike and was a surprise to me.

Otherwise it is nice to ride and is a good entry model.

5.0 out of 5 stars High value E-bike with some cons, August 11, 2013
For years, I've been commuting about 100 miles a week on my $600 Raleigh C200 bicycle but now that I am 62, I needed this E-bike so I can continue my commute.

PROS:
1. Easy 30 min assembly time for the front wheel, seat, pedals and handle bar. 10 more minutes to adjust the brakes and derailleur. I did not have to true the wheels.
2. Actuating the brakes shuts off the motor immediately. Great safety feature.
3. Lowest priced E-bike available. There's even a fork suspension to soften the ride.
4. You can still pedal easily without power provided there are no steep hills or headwind.
5. It has a 450 watt motor which you can easily climb fairly steep hills.
6. The rear derailler works flawlessly.

CONS:
1. Pedals are cheap resin plastic that are typically installed on a $99 bicycle.
2. Brakes are entry level and I miss my Avid disc brakes on my Raleigh C200.
3. Stock SLA batteries are heavy and Currie lithium batteries are expensive. [...] have less expensive lithium batteries but you have to build a custom made box.
4. If you don't use any power for 5 minutes, it goes into a sleep mode which means you have to turn the rear three way switch off and on again. A nuisance to me because I ride 15 to 20 miles so I need to conserve battery life. I only need power for hills, headwind and accelerating from a stop light.
5. Difficult to get it to go faster than 20 miles per hour. Definitely not a racing bike.
6. Replacing the rear inner tube takes 40 long minutes. Here's the procedure:
a. Remove battery. Turn the bicycle upside down but you need to protect your battery gauge on the handle bar with something soft. Cut up old socks works well.
b. Use 5 mm hex key and 10 mm wrench to remove a bolt assembly to the motor plate.
c. Loosen (but not remove) two 10 mm nuts to the motor plate.
d. Remove the two 15 mm axle nuts and unhook the brake cable like a normal bicycle.
e. Cut the zip tie(s) securing the motor power cable.
f. Lift the wheel slightly and use a 17 mm cone wrench to remove the thin nut to the motor.
g. Separate the motor and drive chain from the wheel. With the rear wheel removed, you can finally replace your inner tube. Assembling is reverse but you must make sure the drive chain is adjusted and deflects 1/8 inch maximum using the 17 mm cone wrench. To avoid this hassle, a slime "extra thick" inner tube is strongly recommended.

SUMMARY: Riding an E-bike without pedaling is euphoric and pedaling with power assist makes me feel 10 years younger. However, for serious bicyclists or commuters who are used to riding a $600+ upscale bicycle, you should consider buying an E-bike that cost about double what you paid for your upscale bicycle. If you can't afford this or you are a recreational bicyclist, then this low cost E-bike is recommended. However, buyers should be aware of the cons and consider upgrading the pedals, seat, inner tube, etc. Here are my upgrades:
1. Slime Extra Thick Inner Tube $9
2. Park Tool 17 mm cone wrench $8
3. Betterstuff 24V 2A battery charger (to charge at work) $14
4. Sunlite 9/16 bike pedals $16
5. Sunlite toe clips $8
6. Avenir Suspension 27.2 mm Seat Post $19 (to soften the ride)
7. 27.2 mm to 28.6 mm seat post adaptor $9
8. BMX handle bar plugs $8 (stock handlebar grips keep coming off)
9. Bell Gel Bicycle Seat $22 (to soften the ride even more)
10. Lithium Battery will be purchased later after the stock SLA battery dies.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, February 6, 2013
I am 71 years old.. with a back problem... I have 2 Zip bikes.. got the women's step through so I don't have to raise my leg over the bar.... I have used them for over 3 years... only replaced one battery. Can't say enough about Zip electric bikes !! I put a folding basket on the rear to do shopping.. Just terrific !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd one, July 28, 2012
This is my 2nd Currie E-Zip bike .... I bought the 1st on for myself last September and this one for my wife. It is not a "TOP Of The LINE" bike by any means. If you want a Mercedes you can spend $2500.00+ for a bike but this Chevy works just fine. For the price we find them a lot of fun. We are in our 50's and need that little bit of help riding up some of the hills and this does it for us. Both came shipped with no problems, it did not take me long to assemble them at all. We bought bags for them and use them to go to the grocery store and I use mine for my commute to work on occasion.