1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Curtis Stereo Shelf System with 3 Cd Disc Changer Dual Cassette Player Music Turntable (Old Fashioned Record Player) and Radio (Electronics)
See the title of the review.

This unit brings me back to the 80s.

My most recent system just died on me, so I was forced to get something new. I'm not a new school Star-Trek-Gadget kind of dude, and it's hard to find music systems that aren't geared towards Ipods and MP3s. That said, I hadn't had a unit with a turntable in about 15 years either. I have no interest in ipods and the like. Just not my style. Enjoy my CDs, records, and even some tapes that have stood the test of time.

With that in mind, I took a shot on this Curtis system. I never heard of Curtis before and couldn't find much about this company on the internet. This in part explains why I even offer a review.

This is a single unit piece, which of course means that if one part were to bite the dust, the unit would be rather pointless. Still, I couldn't resist the urge to use something akin to what I grew up using. If you are looking for something new breed, this is NOT for you. This is no attack on Curtis, just a fact. Consider:

-the remote is a bit funny, as it really only works for the CDs. Otherwise, unit is very manual. Must change radio channels manually, change the frequencies manually, switch compartments to use manually, etc. Personally, I had no issue with this...but others might. Even I may need to adjust after a system that was geared towards the remote.
-sound. not quite the bass heavy production I was used to with my last machine. No frequences other than four presets (jazz, pop, classical, and rock). And in general, the sound is a bit tinny. That said, I think overall, it's quite serviceable. If you're lookin' to wake up neighbors, this is not what you are looking for. But if you want something consistent and competent, I think it serves just fine.
-Dual cassette. Now that's old school. Features autoreverse too. Old school heads will understand.
-Record player/turntable. It works fine. Very clear needle, picks up everything...every hiss to every pluck of a guitar to anything in between. Sets back automatically. While I've had this machine for all of a single day, I have been enjoying listening to old LPs I haven't listened to in a decade or more.
-3 Disc changer. Set like a table plate, again, old school style. But again, seems to work fine, and offers standard programming features and playback and such.
-Radio. AM/FM, with an old school knob tuner. This part of the unit hasn't been explored much, but the antenna seems serviceable. As an urban creature who doesn't drive, the radio is not really a major concern for me. Sorry that I don't have more to offer on this for now.

Overall, this unit is really for those of us who have no desire to keep up with the technological freaks that are running the world. Ordering this for a price of near $400 was a risk, but one that I'm glad I took. It's rare to find something like this in the current marketplace, so I guess the price is justified. If this thing can last some years, the price will be forgotten and overlooked for sure. I would also like to add that I ordered this from Dealorama in Jersey. I placed the order late on a Sunday night (week of Christmas no less) and had it by Tuesday afternoon. Rather impressive delivery.

"Was this review helpful?"

I tried.