Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Curtis Creek Manifesto: A Fully Illustrated Guide to the Stategy, Finesse, Tactics, and Paraphernalia of Fly Fishing
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 13, 2004
Right after coming to Montana, it was made clear to me that I HAD to learn flyfishing, so I got my rod, line, flies, waders, boots and this book. After 7 years of creeping, crawling, cursing, casting, bushwhacking and reading this book probably 20 times, I can catch some fish. Every time i read this book I realize how much knowledge it delivers. Over the time I read many fancy flyfishing books and I never found anything useful that was not explained in these 40 pages. The only thing missing in this book is ... your own experience. BUY IT!
on September 15, 2000
I got my first copy in approximately 1979 and have gotten copies for my daughters since. Anderson presents essential information in a well though out, logical, and entertaining fashion. A must-read for anyone getting into fly fishing, as well as a good refresher for those with some experience. Contrary to what some would have you believe, fly fishing can be a simple and straight-forward sport; this book makes that clear.
on March 1, 1999
The Curtis Creek Manifesto was the first fly fishing book that I could read and truly understand. It is filled with simple illustrations and descriptions that make getting off the ground with fly fishing a breeze. so many other books that I tried to read were filled with tech talk and jargon that confused and frustrated me. I believe that this book saved my trip to Colorado and my first fly fishing experience two years ago. I have reccomended it to all of my fishing buddies and I continue to use it even now.
on June 7, 2002
Sheridan Anderson has captured in 40 or so pages what other authors have attempted to write in 400 pages. There is a humor and energy that is communicated, in a comic-book format, which is infectious, and at the same time informative. Ok, so you won't know how to choose the correct action rod or the best fly tying vise just by reading this book. But you will understanding some of the most important points about fly fishing and will be well on your way towards discovering your very own 'Curtis Creek'!
on February 28, 2013
This book very interesting reading. It shows you all the necessary components to fly fishing and delivers the information in layman terms that is very easily understandable. I have enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend this book to the beginners and the intermediate fly fisher person, especially if you are starting out trying to understand all the terms and definitions.
on November 4, 2014
IF THERE IS A BETTER INTRODUCTORY BOOK ON FLY FISHING, I'VE NEVER SEEN IT. I think this is basically what Yvon Chouinard is saying in his new book; the basics are all you need to start and that platform is sufficient to take you as far as you want to go, if you commit to learning as you go. It's not about the fancy gear and having an encyclopedia of flies to choose from; it's about knowing where the fish are, how they are feeding and technique plus practice
on June 5, 2000
This light hearted introduction focuses on the right things. It starts with stealth, not with what stuff to buy or another re-hash of the history of fly fishing. The points are well thought out, brief and on the mark. Despite what tackle manufacturers may have you think, the elements of this sport are unchanged from the 1978 date this book was published.
on May 8, 2002
It may seem weird for a book on flyfishing to receive such praise, especially coming from someone who hasn't really done much flyfishing (I am just starting in again after 10+ years away from any fishing). However, I recall vividly the day I picked up a copy of "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" while on vacation with my family 15-16 years ago, and was immediately drawn to it. It has great cartoons, funny wry humor, and great advice for beginning and intermediate flyfishers.
I have even "sold" friends on this book who have never fished in their lives, and most people have agreed that there is something special about this book. Sheridan Anderson was a wise, eccentric character, and this shows in his cartoons and writing. Every time I read this book, I have the urge to hop on a plane and head out to Montana in search of "Curtis Creek", which Anderson claimed is a real creek w/ some amazing scenery and fishing.
I highly recommend this book!
Also, if you can find it Sheridan Anderson has another great cartoon guide to backpacking, "Baron Von Mabel's Backpacking".
on April 22, 2016
The Curtis Creek Manifesto is book about the basics of fly fishing written in a humorous, cartoon-like style that probably will appeal to younger (read teens and pre-teens) than adults. However, adults don't let that fool you; if you interested in learning to fly fish this is a pretty good primer for a reasonable price. I think the only one better that is written in a similar style is 'Everyone's Illustrated Guide to Trout on a Fly'; unfortunately the latter is out of print best I can tell. Most topics are handled in a single page or at most 2 (Fly tying does rate 4 pages; by far the most to any topic); again this is an introduction, not a thorough instruction. Topics include among others, casting, flies, trout food, hooking and landing, equipment, basic fishing styles, reading a stream; even esoteric things like cleaning and cooking, the priorities of fishing for trout with a fly rod, the 'eleven commandments', and 'tickling' for trout ('fishing' with bare hands). The 4-star rating comes from the fact that the book was published in 1978; while some parts of the sport have changed little in several hundred years, other have, including newer equipment and materials. I recommend this book to those who are looking for a gift for a younger child/friend/sibling (or an adult that still reads Batman comic books) who are newly interested in fly fishing.
on April 21, 2015
Book was informative and helpful in learning. At first I was put off by the "comic" style writing and illustrations in the book, thinking I had purchased a book meant to teach children, but you quickly realize that the illustrative writing is key to helping you make sense of knots, casts, and flies without confusing you. Good purchase.