Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Custom Enrichment Module: Essential Study Skills for Science Students
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 14, 2011
I'm a college student that's neck deep in anatomy/phys and biochem. Over the last year I've been looking for a way in which to learn and study more efficiently due to the large workload and complexity of the information presented. So I bought Essential Study Skills for Science Students in the hopes that it wouldn't be as lame as all the other how-to-study books I've purchased that are now taking up space in my local landfill.

I give this guide a 4 out of 5 stars but that rating is relative to the glut of absolutely useless study-help books on the market. However, the difference between Essential Study Skills for Science Students and the rest is that it's actually useful and to the point. Better stated, it's useful because it gets right to the point. There's no fluff, no trying to be cute. While it presents much of the same information that its competitors do, it gives the same information stated in a way that's simple to employ without any large, complex system. There's no life advice and no inter-chapter testimonials from students who went from failing Art History to Magna Cum Laude in physics in just two semesters because they bought this wonderful, magical, easy to use self-help book(I think it's obvious I've come to detest these types of books).

Anyway...

The section on how to get the most out of reading material was especially helpful to me as was the section on critical thinking. The latter is very general and if you're familiar with critical thinking, it's not anything new. But it was a good, quick refresher that reminded me of some very basic things and it's worth going back and referencing on occassion. It's a short book that I read in under an hour; and I liked that. It allowed me to make notes from it and put the stuff into practice the very same day.

That said, you're not going to read it and suddenly be able to figure out complex systems and the contributors that make them function in 10 minutes; but the book doesn't make that claim anyway. And it's not realistic to think that any book will do that for you.

At any rate, I've read many how-to-study books and this one is the only one I'd recommend to both science and non-science majors. It's worth a look.
on January 28, 2014
Excellent and sound advice! All the tips are great. Using these tips helped me improve my grades by a ton! Plus I'm learning the subjects better. Great book.
on December 18, 2008
This little book will help to unfold the mystery of doing great in school. While the title targets science students, the helpful hints in this book will help all students within in an educational process from high school through to college.
This book even helped a student who was doing a Criminal Justice degree Online.
Preparing for courses is not hard however, as the text will point out, it takes discipline. The book will point you in the right direction so the needed discipline will seem like common sense.

Work Smarter - Not Harder!
There is no reason not to do well in your classes after utilizing this well-written book on good study habits.

Study Well.
tjm
on June 1, 2013
Just a side study guide. It has good tips in it for beginers to Biology. worth the read and buy
on September 2, 2015
Short and to the point study guide. Good for high school or college students.
on January 15, 2016
Awesome tips
on July 24, 2013
ordered for my daughters college course. book came in excellant shape and was shipped fast. she passed her course so i guess it's a good book.