5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read
Published 20 months ago by Sspring

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but don't necessarily agree
A little choppy; if the economy turns back around, this may actually work.

Definitely not in keeping with Standardization and Lean Six Sigma.
Published 19 months ago by James McCleskey

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, November 12, 2012
This review is from: Custom Nation: Why Customization Is the Future of Business and How to Profit From It (Paperback)
As someone interested in business and marketing, I picked up this book because I didn't know much about customisation. It was a fascinating read and I now see it everywhere and how it is shaping the way everyone shops and will increasingly take part in designing the products of the future. Really interesting examples across all industries from food to clothes. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend this book to any aspiring business owners, November 13, 2012
After reading this book, I can't imagine ever starting a new business without an element of customization. Custom Nation does a great job of outlining exactly why any business in any industry should customize (there's a great chapter that looks at all the benefits - from bigger profits to greater consumer connected-ness). Anyone who is even thinking of starting a business should read this book. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Custom Nation, November 16, 2012
Imagine if Starbucks only offered filter coffee. That's it...not pumpkin spiced skinny lattes or extra hot full fat espressos. Nope. Just coffee, black. Pretty boring right? Certainly the Seattle-based company would not be the global brand it is today without customizing each coffee for each customer. THIS is what the excellent book "Custom Nation" is all about--how customization from coffee to cars is the buzz word in the global 21st century business world. Co-written by Emily Flynn Vencat (a former Newsweek magazine colleague of mine who then went on to be a business writer with AP in London) and her brother, Anthony (who founded the LA-based YouBar company), the book has interviews with dozens of the founders and CEOs of businesses that specialize in customizing their products for their clients. We no longer live in a one-size-fits-all world and smart, proactive, innovative companies are realizing that the way to a client's wallet is via personalized options. With fantastic anecdotes, staggering statistics and intense research, "Custom Nation" is a thought-provoking, beautifully written book not only for people interested in starting their own customized brands, but for anyone interested in finding out why, how and when businesses realized that, yes, it really IS all about the consumer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for New Small Business Owners, November 14, 2012
After having a delicious YouBar from a friend, I investigated the company and the people behind it. After learning about the history of the company and their product from their website and found that this book was coming out. Custom Nation is a perfect read for any small business owner, established or otherwise. The book details how Anthony, Ava and Dennis took on an already saturated energy bar market and, using unique marketing techniques and a novel twist, and carved out their own very large niche.

The beauty of Custom Nation is that most any product based business can adapt their own business plan to include a way for their consumers to customize their purchases to their own needs and preferences. Reading the case studies included in the book, combined with the excellent commentary and analysis from Anthony and Emily, I already was coming up with ways to adapt their ideas to my own business. The authors present a simple concept, but analyze it so deeply that I felt I understood the ins and outs of their business idea.

Custom Nation's message is simple. As the internet continues to become the preferred way to do business for the average consumer, there will be an ever-growing disconnect between the consumer and the product. By providing a cost effective way for each consumer to make the product they purchase unique, a business can enjoy all the benefits of doing business on the internet while still providing the personal touch that the average American enjoys. If you have a small business, you must read Custom Nation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start Up Guide!, November 15, 2012
I bought this book because I am thinking of starting my own business I just didn't know how to go about making customization apart of it. Now that I've read through this guide and visited the website several times (which has a blog along with several great tips) I feel that I am ready!

I should mention that although the website has a list of many businesses that are in the customization world many are out of the country. I wish they would update the website with more US based companies to make it a little more relevant. I would have given Custom Nation 4 stars for the book + the website, but I decided to give it 5 stars based on the book alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for everyone!, August 22, 2013
Custom Nation was an enlightening and fun read! I'm currently an economics and finance undergrad student and it never occurred to me until I read this book how integral customization is becoming for businesses. I was actually shocked my college classes hadn't explored the impact of customization on businesses! It's something that everyone does now without even realizing it. Furthermore, it is clear the authors researched the history of customization thoroughly. There are so many neat facts/tidbits and graphs about businesses and customization that I never would have imagined. Anthony Flynn doesn't preach the success of his own company in this book, he's sharing the key feature for businesses to succeed now. Custom Nation has countless impressive interviews from CEO's (Vistaprint, Zazzle, CafePress, etc.!) that it makes you truly realize and appreciate the importance of customization.

The book also explored the concept of customization from various perspectives, which made the book more enjoyable. For example, Flynn includes a neat experiment study and interview from Dan Ariely (someone who I was thrilled was in the book because I also had the pleasure of interviewing him myself for a term paper), a behavioral economist at Duke, on peoples' willingness to buy something after their own ideas have been imprinted within a good. Flynn has the ability to extrapolate studies such as these and explain them in simple terms for what they mean for customization.

If you have the entrepreneurship spirit, this book is definitely worth the read. Custom Nation isn't a "Customization for Dummies" or anything near it -- it's simply a brother and sister reporting on the revolutionary changes that are happening in every business field -- from food to fashion. I highly recommend everyone to check this book out, even if you aren't interested in managing a business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely relevant in this modern day of branding/marketing, November 29, 2012
Custom Nation is such a great read, especially for someone as myself who is a Branding and Marketing specialist. In this modern era of branding and marketing, I truly believe that customizing for the customer is the way to go. I always had a pen and paper beside me as I read so I could jot down some of the author's suggestions, now I have some great strategies to implement with my already long list of ideas. The book is laid out well and has a ton of great information. I recommend this to anyone who is in the business of making money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting Philosophy, November 28, 2012
A very interesting philosophy about how individualization is becoming more and more prevalent worldwide but especially in the United States. I thought the author offered very useful information to help a business incorporate the model of customization.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm changing Industries because of this book, November 27, 2012
I have always had a fascination by custom products as I am constantly modifying mass produced items so I can have it my way. This book did a terrific job at outlining the trend taking place in society at large - the movement from a one-size-fits-all to a different-size-for-each. Emily & Anthony articulately prove that customization isn't just a profitable trend on which to capitalize, but that it's crucial to a business survival.

The layout of this book made it an easy, interesting, and inspiring read. I never found myself re-reading any section due to confusing grammar, style or structure (something I often struggle with from Business writers). I picked up the book on Wednesday and was done by the weekend. Even though Anthony is the owner of YouBars, I never once felt as though he was trying to sell his product or force me to subscribe to some marketing scheme (unlike Rich Dad Poor Dad, Natural Cures, Aftershock, etc). In fact, the only time he really mentions YouBars is to share personal experiences that support advice, insight or recommendations. It was purely informative and thoroughly eye-opening.

Section 2, "Be the Next Great Customizer", was particularly helpful to me as it concisely breaks down the steps to becoming successful in customization and reassures that there is still plenty of potential growth in this industry. It was also interesting to learn how customized companies don't see each other as competition - mass production companies is the main competitor as they still dominate the 90% of market share. This book will not slowly die on my bookshelf. It will be a tool I will regularly reference to transform my customization idea into reality. Thanks to the Flynns for sharing all their insights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lean Startup + Custom Nation = Great Business Start, November 19, 2012
If you've read the Lean Startup: How today's entrepreneurs use continuous innovation to create radically successful businesses, you will love Anthony Flynn's book, Custom Nation. While the Lean Startup is one of my favorite books, I think it pairs nicely with Custom Nation which teaches you how to incorporate the art of customization into business.

$16.95 $12.53