5.0 out of 5 stars Industrial Versus Military Grade
These simply work. Used them extensively in the military.

Published on August 31, 2011 by XMS

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT the color to buy
I purchased several of these snap lights and white is not the color that you want. Within two hours after snapping a white one it is so dim that it is almost useless. Go with the green or yellow. Those ones were MUCH brighter and stayed that way a LOT longer !!
Published on November 2, 2011 by K. Pell

5.0 out of 5 stars Industrial Versus Military Grade, August 31, 2011
XMS (Mid-Atlantic USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyalume SnapLight Industrial Grade Chemical Light Sticks, White, 6" Long, 8 Hour Duration (Pack of 10) (Misc.)
These simply work. Used them extensively in the military.

One thing I will add to your purchase consideration: the Cyalume SnapLight "Industrial" Grade Chemical Light Sticks lights are chemically very similar to the "Military Grade", but with a longer shelf-life. The "military grade" lights are formulated per DoD specification, and as such cannot take advantage of newer formulations.

In short: if you are buying the "Military Grade" lights because you think they are better somehow, they are not. They are the same brightness. As a matter of fact, according to the manufacturer the military versions have one year less shelf life (4 versus 5 years for the industrial series). The higher price reflects the custom (older) formulation that the DoD specifies.

Source for this info: Cyalume Corporation.

So unless you are required to buy an NSN product, do yourself a favor and pay less for a longer shelf-life and get the industrial version of this product.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting, safe for kids, May 7, 2011
I always keep some snap light sticks in the house for power outages and sleepovers. We've had every color, but these white ones are the best. They last a full 8 hours and we haven't had any "duds" in the pack. The white light glows brighter than red, yellow, green, and blue, and help take the scary out of dark rooms. I give them to our kids when they have kids sleeping over, or when they sleep out in the yard in the tent, to save on flashlight batteries.

Because they're sealed and basically unbreakable, and they don't get hot, they are safe for kids to use unsupervised. From a power outage standpoint, they're safer than a candle or a lantern for getting around a dark house. An added bonus is the hole at the end, which allows the user to attach a lanyard and free up their hands.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT the color to buy, November 2, 2011
K. Pell (Norfolk, Va) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointed!, November 14, 2011
I have a habit of keeping some light sticks in my hiking pack and after Halloween I needed to get some replacements. After reading some reviews I decided to go with these. Let me say this, when you first snap them they illuminate greatly, but after about 30 minutes they are only good for markers(greatly reduced visibility). After about 2 hours they are completely useless. I am glad that I tested one tonight. I would hate to have been somewhere that I was planning on using them and had to endure the embarrassment of displaying these. I am very disappointed in the product and will be attempting to return them. I would not recommend these for anything or to anyone. Pure waste of money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money on these!!!, November 4, 2011
Even though these are Cyalume light sticks, they don't live up to the name. These are only as bright as the average light stick and the light fades away very quick; to a light dim after about 2hrs like someone stated previously. Even at its brightest, it can't even light up a normal sized bedroom. No doubt these will last up to 8 hours as stated, but the catch is that after an hour or two, they're dim, very very dim. From experience, orange/gold light sticks are the brightest of all the Cyalume lights, one of these can light up a hallway or large sized bedroom/living room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in Below Freezing weather!, January 26, 2011
I can recommend that this product works well in below freezing weather. Used them to mark a path, and even in 9 degree weather, worked perfectly well, and stay lit a bit longer than 8 hours listed.

Delivered EXTREMELY quickly from the merchant! I got it WELL before expectated!

2.0 out of 5 stars Grows dim too quickly., March 17, 2012
I have to agree with the other negative reviews on this product --

The white color is cool, and these glowsticks start out pretty bright, but it fades within 5-10 minutes to a level that's scarcely sufficient to read by, even if you hold them inches away from the page.

You shouldn't rely on these for emergency lighting or use while camping. Even as a safety marker, they fall short because of the color (can be mistaken for moonlight shining on a wet leaf, etc.).

You're better off sticking with the yellow or green glowsticks -- these white ones just don't cut it.

1.0 out of 5 stars These are the worst, November 1, 2012
These light sticks are the worst light sticks I have ever used. I don't care what the manufacturer says these are no more than path indicators!!
I have used light sticks for more years than I can remember. Having ran out, I bought these. What a surprise during Hurricane Sandy, as soon as the lights went out ( around 6 pm NYC time ) I went to my first line of backup. The light sticks.

My wife stood around as I opened the first one ( we use 2 at a time ) and chuckled after I cracked it and it came on. She said " you 've got to be kidding". The light was SO DIM I thought it was a defective. Not yet wanting to give up on humanity yet I cracked the second one.

A barely glowing tube of plastic.
What a disappointment.

Another family member I gave some to , called and asked if these were "seconds" I said no, but thinking about it they must have been old stock at best.

But since these are part of my emergency preparedness kit I won't be buying these again!!!
Can't take the chance.

My advice to you all is go to sporting goods big box store and buy them there. Same price and I have never had a problem with them..
If you want to know where the store's name rhymes with Rick's. Or the store that starts with a "C" or "B".

I would do a video review but the light sticks were to dim to film. And I have a low light camera!
Just my story, another story in this naked city of a thousand stories,,, Just my story.

3.0 out of 5 stars emergency only, January 6, 2012
Ive had several types of glow sticks over the years. I bought these white ones thinking they might give off a bit more light than the other colors. I was right and wrong. They do give off a brighter glow but the light doesnt carry far, Its good because the colors you see when using this glowstick are natural. If you used a whole box of the white ones at once they brighten up a 10x10 room but thats using 10 glowsticks. I would recommend using these sticks for (emergencies only) and if you need to read a label or see what your doing right in front of you, Id say no further than 2-3 feet max unless your eyes are well adjusted to the dark. I "wouldnt recommend" going hiking in the woods and uses these to see where your stepping. I used a lumen measuring app on my smart phone to get an idea of how much light I was getting from these sticks. On cracking the light stick I got(1)lumen per square foot & (9)Lux lumens which is the lights max threshold. Thats OMG LOW. A candle is brighter. One hour later I tested the lumens again and they wouldnt even register in the lumens per square foot range and the Lux lumens was down to (4) which isnt even worth mentioning but I did just in case someone was wondering. So after about an hour it makes a great little reading light if your holding in directly on the page your reading and moving it line by line. All in all Not worth the $1.25 per stick. yet the packaging was great and the shipping was service was decent/reasonable for the holiday season. Id say if it was 50cents a stick It would be an amazing value. So with that said. These sticks are great for short term close range lighting or like some other peoples reviews have suggested using them as markers which I agree with. So dont buy these and thinking you're getting light sticks that will light up the night because thats not realistic. The facts are the facts. (1)hour of decent close range light and a 60% drop in lumen output after that hour. Then you'll see a slight decrease every hour after until the light become useless. The 8 hour duration given on the package is only using the lumen output as a template. its only 30mins to an hour of useful light. the other 7 hours are counted by the lumen output chart which means any amount of light coming for the stick is counted and ends at 8hours. (though not consistent). Id buy them again in a bind because they are always useful in some context.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dim; Not Bright; Don't Last, September 1, 2013
These are some of the dimmest chem lights I have ever used. The light also dioesn't last they hare probably half strength within the hour.