4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, way better then the cheapies at Wally World.
Published on February 19, 2010 by Gojira

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product, false picture
The picture with the "Snaplight" word is not the product that I received. Instead, I received a similar product of the "Mayday" brand with a different packaging.

Published on July 15, 2010 by S. Chang

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, way better then the cheapies at Wally World., February 19, 2010
I'm the kind of person who likes to test their gear before relying on it in the backwoods, so I cracked one of these as soon as I opened the package. I was easily able to navigate around a pitch-black house and yard, without the benefit of any other artificial light. It was brighter than other glow sticks I've tried (Coleman brand, for example), and was still putting out enough light to read by a full 12 hours later. The plastic walls are angled instead of round, and are thicker than any others I've tried, which means they should hold up well against accidental cracking in the backpack. No lanyards are included, FYI, but I don't consider that too much of a detriment. Overall: great product, very reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Which color is brightest? Well..., May 23, 2012
This review is from: Cyalume SnapLight Industrial Grade Light Sticks, Green, 6" Long, 12 Hour Duration (Pack of 10) (Misc.)
I bought sets of several colors of these Cyalume SnapLight Industrial Grade Chemical Light Sticks, for emergency preparedness and the first night of having them, I opened up each color and activated each one.

Quickly, I'll just say that these seem to be pretty standard, if rugged, light sticks. They're a bit thicker than what I've typically seen kids playing with at 4th of July fireworks shows and the like, but basically they are what they are. Light sticks, with perhaps an industrial use slant. This is the first time I've bought light sticks, so I can't really speak to price.

Anyway, what you probably care most about, here, is the brightness. On first snapping of the stick, they will certainly light up a small room, well enough to see clearly. After an hour, however, you'll probably be stumbling around in the dark unless you're holding it in front of you, these are quite dimmer than a candle flame. As time goes on, the light will get dimmer and dimmer. Put a few down on sharp corners, and you'll avoid smacking into anything in the dark and hurting yourself, but after a few hours you're basically just using these as signal flares, rather than a source of good working illumination. There will certainly be a glow inside the stick for many hours, perhaps even 12 as advertised, but the nature of the chemistry is such that the strongest brightness will be at the beginning, and it will taper off from there. As you approach the 12 hour mark you can probably read a book with it, if you hold it right up against the page, but that's probably about it.

So, which color is brightest? They're all about the same, I would say, at least of the ones advertised at 12 hours. But, bear in mind, the human eye is tuned more to see shades of color closer to the green part of the spectrum. That's just how we evolved with our green-tinted world. Night vision goggles use green phosphors so users can see better, and lights backstage at a theater are red so they don't spill out onto the stage and disturb the audience. While any color of light stick you might buy is probably about the same brightness, your eyes will see much better if you get the green light stick. Yellow is quite good too. Orange seems a bit dimmer. Red is the hardest to see with. That's not to say red light sticks aren't just as visible at a distance, but they will be harder to use as sources of light to brighten your surroundings. That's just the way our eyes work.

So, just buy green? I don't know if that's my advice. Hiking at night, I think attaching (with the convenient hooks) red light sticks to each member of a group would help keep people from getting lost, without ruining anyone's night vision. Orange might be good to mark the trail to the outhouse with. Green or yellow might be best to read with in your tent. The different colors might also be used to indicate different things. The nice thing about these light sticks is they come in all sorts of colors, so you can figure out how best to use them, yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good product, false picture, July 15, 2010

The Snaplight brand is from Cyalume, a more expensive brand. Even though this seller did not put Cyalume anywhere in the description, the pictures are misleading and false. The Snaplight brand also shows a yellow packaging with yellow light which doesn't match the green light description.

The product works and glows but not as brightly as Cyalume or other brands. You get what you paid for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Last 12 Hours - Cheap, May 12, 2011
I tested these against an old set of Ever Ready Light Sticks I got from Amazon about 3 years ago. These only lasted about 6 hours where the Ever Ready Lightsticks lasted the full 12 hours. Unfortunately I can't find the Ever Ready on Amazon but hope they bring them back. You can get the Ever Ready brand here: [...]

I hope Amazon will read this and bring in a better supplier and a little testing. I am very disappointed. Now I need to carry twice as many or shell out more money.

Update: I found light sticks that will last 12 hours right here on Amazon and are much brighter they are military grade. Here is the name: "10 Pack NSN 6260-01-074-4229 - 6 in. ChemLight Light Sticks - Green - 12 Hours - Military Grade - Cyalume 9-42290PF".

They are more expensive but in the long run you will get your money back because they do last 12 hours often longer. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 Hour Light Sticks GREAT !!!, November 19, 2010
VERY HAPPY WITH THIS PRODUCT !!!
Tested one right away and it stayed going for the stated 12 hours and was bright enough to keep you from running in to walls in the dark.
I would buy more and most likely will.
Buy with confidence.
RagenRat :0)

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not 12 hour..., April 16, 2011
I tested a few of these as soon as they arrived. They are sold as "12-Hour" the ones I tested lasted between 3-4 hours at best. None failed to light, but 12-Hour claim is a huge exaggeration. I would not buy these again. Buyer Beware!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, April 25, 2010
I bought this set as it came with 10 sticks so i could actually test one before hand. I normally test all my things out before heading into the bush. I set it up at midnight and had it in my room until the next day. Normally with lights its harder to sleep but this light was mediocre at best. It had half strenght light compared to a normal glow stick or other brands/versions like the military grade. If i was trying to signal someone then i would be alright however these should be used as an emergency only type if you do buy them. If i lost my crank light, this would keep me comfort, but dont provide enough light to go wandering with it. At best they get a three out of five mainly for quanity, not quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, March 28, 2011
These things are awesome. NOT the cheap dollar store one's that are sold as kid's toys. These stay bright enough to ready by for most of the night.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but doesn't last quite as long as advertised, July 9, 2010
Ordered this product, when it came in we tested several of the sticks at 4th of July, and they glowed pretty brightly and with a nice color, but of the 4 we tested 3 burned out in 8hrs and the other only lasted about 9 1/2. Still a good long glow, but not the 12hrs advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, September 6, 2011
Wo kommst du (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Very bright. Buying another pack of 10. Great to have everywhere in case you need it.

The price is right!