4.0 out of 5 stars Field test of the microphone
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:19 Mins
I highly reccomend this microphone to gamers and financially-stretched video makers.
Published on July 2, 2009 by Henry A. Fiorentini

3.0 out of 5 stars IT Director Review of AC-201 - So-So
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:04 Mins
We purchased 200 of the AC-201 for our teaching staff and have had no complaints. The build quality is acceptable and the headset has some nice features for the price range.

UPDATE: 12-10-2009

Published on August 14, 2008 by Ryan Gravette

3.0 out of 5 stars IT Director Review of AC-201 - So-So, August 14, 2008
This review is from: Cyber AcousticsStereo Headset/Microphone, Ambidextrous design AC-201 (Personal Computers)
Length:: 3:04 Mins

UPDATE: 12-10-2009

After purchasing over 200 of these and distributing them around the state we have completed an internal review and have found a pretty unsettling result.

Of the 100 respondents to our survey (50% response rate) 14% report broken headsets (design and build quality), and 12% report poor performance. This equals a 24% failure rate over 2 years given heavy usage.

18% of the respondents would not recommend the product to others.

82% however felt that it was a good product, and 33% of the users rated it 9+ on a 10 point scale.

Given these additional results I have downgraded my review on the device from 4 stars to 3. I will keep the initial video review on the site as most of the factual information in the video remains unchanged. I would not purchase the current product for anything less than $10 shipped now.

Our organization is moving instead to the Caliphone 4100 which comes in at a $30 price point and is USB.

4.0 out of 5 stars Field test of the microphone, July 2, 2009
Length:: 1:19 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset for the price!, November 16, 2006
Jonathan Schneider (Grand Rapids, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered two of these headsets for use by my wife and myself while playing World of Warcraft on our PCs. We had just recently gotten voice chat via Ventrilo set up and working, and we wanted to upgrade to headsets to replace our basic speakers-and-desktop-mic setup.

Both headsets worked great right out of the box. The sound output quality is fine, both for the voice chat and the Warcraft game sounds and music. Our teammates reported that the microphone sound quality was fine as well.

The headset earpieces are small, but include some cushioning. (They definitely fit "on" the ear, not "around" the ear.) I had some ear discomfort after wearing the headset for over an hour, but it was very slight -- definitely mild enough not to be a distraction. Adjusting the earpieces forward a bit on my head (so they didn't rest directly on my ears as much) helped.

The headband is adjustable to fit various head sizes. Both my wife (5'6" with a normal head size) and myself (6'3" with a large head size) were able to adjust our headset to have it fit comfortably.

The end of the microphone is slightly "bendy," and thus the microphone's position can be fine-tuned as desired. The entire microphone stalk can also be swiveled up to be parallel to the headset's headband, to move it up and out of the way.

The hardware interface (at the end of the cord) is two standard sound plugs (that will fit standard PC sound cards) -- one for the sound output jack, and one for the microphone jack. The cord itself is a nice length, plenty long enough to plug into a PC sitting on the floor under a desk and reach the head of the user sitting on a chair at the desk.

I'm sure there are better headsets out there, but I'd say that this is an excellent headset for the price for anyone looking for an entry-level headset.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality at a low price, June 14, 2007
As executive director of a non-profit who uses Skype, I needed a headset that would allow me to work from my home office during part of the week without reducing call quality. As soon as I began using these headphones, I began to receive compliments on the audio quality of my calls. These headphones facilitate crisp, clear calls that give the impression of being in the same room as the caller. The flexible microphone is sturdy and can be bent to desired angles without appearing to weaken at all. Previous flexible microphones I have purchased seemed to weaken each time I bent them, so this is a significant improvement. The headset is solid and preserves privacy. I am able to do confidential advocacy with this headset without someone a foot away hearing the other end of the conversation. I am rough on my equipment and this headset continues to provide the same exceptional quality performance after over a month of heavy daily usage. This product reduces neckstrain and allows me to work on my computer with both hands while remaining available to callers. I recommend this product without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love that Cyber Acoustics Headset, May 6, 2007
I purchased this headset to use with my Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 program and I have been very pleased. It is the most comfortable headset I have owned without a hugh price tag. It also picks up my voice better than other ones do so that when I am dictating, there are fewer errors in what my computer hears and types. I'd highly recommend them for educational purposes as well as work and easy listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Seems to Almost Always be Best With Headsets, September 24, 2008
After I began using Skype, I found a need for a headset, not just using my external speakers and a standalone microphone anymore. Not private enough. So, I picked up this headset since it was one of the cheapest, and I have never had a problem with cheaper headphones and phones. Cheaper usually means clearer sound. And, I wasn't surprised, this is a great headset, especially for the money.

The microphone is loud and crisp, anyone can hear me on the other line without hesitation. Same with listening to others, it no longer sounds like you are talking on the phone, but as if the person on the other line is right there next to you.

The cushioning is soft and fits snuggly on top of my ear, no discomfort whatsoever. However, it is a little tight, something that really can't be adjusted. If you have a bigger head than mine, not to worry, it's completely adjustable. The microphone is also adjustable 180 degrees, or, if you so wish, bendy so that you can move the mic further or closer to your mouth. Makes a great difference so that the person on the other line doesn't have to hear me breathing.

Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A+, May 6, 2007
headphones work wonderfully. I purchased these to use with the Rosetta Stone language program (which, by the way I heartily recommend!) and they've worked exceptionally well. The microphone picks up my voice clearly with no background static, the earphones are comfortable and convenient, and the product functions very well!

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy, brakes too easily, August 25, 2008
Three weeks after I bought this headset, the plastic inside the microphone handle broke. I fixed it with tape, but it affected the quality of the call (people would not be able to understand me properly, unless I would hold the handle). I emailed the company and sent them pictures of it. they were really nice and sent me a new one. only a few weeks later the new headset broke at the same place as the old one. I emailed the company again and got a second replacement, which is now broken too!
the quality of the plastic that holds the microphone handle in place is not good enough.
if you don't mind fixing the headset with tape once it brakes and then hold on to the handle while you're talking, this is a good headset ;-)

1.0 out of 5 stars sound for one ear only, February 13, 2009
January "Sam" (Austin,Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this headphone for an interview (using skype phone) since my previous logitech died partially(my cats chew on the line. the micro still works but the sound line was broken). Disappointed with this headphone:
1) there is sound for one ear only.
2) when I try to use the mic to make phone calls, the other side tells me there is always some sharp noise in the background and sometimes my words are repeated again and again like I am speaking in the mountain. So the micro is completely unfit for my interview purpose.
3) small ear pads and uncomfortable for long time wearing

I ended up using the mic on the partially broken logitech and the speaker on my laptop for my interview. The voice was crystal clear at least.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful headset with short life, January 30, 2008
Lucinda A. "lucinda2002us" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I was very happy with this headset - the price was great, the design beautiful, and the sound quality quite good. I used it with skype a few times. Two months later, I can hear sound only in one ear, and nothing I tried helped. Too bad, because I had grown attached to the headset.